Forum Discussion

TazzaVM
Rising Novice
7 days ago

Sept 2024 update broke loading screen to main menu and exiting cas

I carried out the update yesterday. Updated every mod I had that I was aware needed updating, at first I could get into the game but the game would crash going out of CAS whether it was live mode, from the household management or a new save etc so I went OK must be a mod.

Dragged out the entire mod folder from my game to be sure, tested it. Still faulting.

Removed the entire sims 4 folder so all saves, trays etc will be new, still happening while 100% vanilla. Uninstalled and reinstalled sims, repaired for probably the 07th time. Now when I try to go in (still vanilla, no saves or tray files etc, no mods at all) I get stuck at the loading screen like it can't progress to the main menu option.

I've managed to get into the game, but after going into CAS still crashes on exit, ticked to use the direct x9 which seems to have rectified the cas issue except every second attempt im still stuck at the loading screen for the main menu to get into any saves.

I've already done every basic troubleshooting method I can think of, just wanting to know if anyone else is stuck like this?

• la_midgeet  You can now start transferring files from your old user folder to the new one.  Start with mods and custom content, if you have any you'd like to keep.  Here's a list of mods and cc known to be broken after this patch:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Mods-CC-Issues/Broken-Obsolete-and-Updated-Sims-4-Mods-1-109-September-18-2024/td-p/14043148

Anything not on the list, you'll need to test yourself.  The 50/50 method can make the process more efficient:

https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Finding_Problem_Custom_Content#The_50.25_Method

Once you've done that, you can transfer the contents of saves, Tray (saved households and builds), Screenshots and Recorded Videos if you care about those, and accountDataDB.package for the first round of login rewards and the task-related progress for the current rewards.

0ysf3bqg8ger
      Newcomer

Hi for some reason when I got the new update it work ones then now every time I go on the game the main menu is malfunctioning meaning its a mess all the tabs are misplaced and it won't let me do anything, so please could you help me.

Nevels87
    Rising Newcomer

literally the same for me. did you figure anything out?

• efgy007  Can you play a new sim on a lot with no lot traits or challenges?  Please test if you haven't already, still with no mods or custom content.

• I'm having the exact same issue expect on a Mac. Haven't played the sims since June. Updated my game, removed all my mods out of the game files. Repaired the game and even uninstalled and reinstalled. Nothing. I can get to the main menu, but if I try to create a sim or play a new save I made when the issues stated, nothing. I get stuck on the loading screen.

It's so frustrating. Been playing sims for over a decade and the issues just kept getting worse.  

• TazzaVM  There are a lot of potential problems a dxdiag can list that aren't flagged as problems by the dxdiag itself.  For example, yours lists a number of failed Windows updates.  So please run a couple of basic checks of your Windows system files:

• Hit Windows key-X
    • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Windows Terminal (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
    • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes, and enter
    • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
    • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
    • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Windows Terminal (Administrator)”
    • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes, and enter
    • Post the message you receive here

Your Nvidia graphics driver is also somewhat old, and the DX9-related errors in your dxdiag could be related to the driver.  So please install the newest one available from Nvidia, which you can find here:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/

Restart your computer after installing and before trying to play.  Please test both DX9 and DX11 modes, still with no mods or cc present, and let me know how they work with the new driver.

• TazzaVM  Please provide a dxdiag.  Hit Windows key-R, enter dxdiag in the run box, wait for the scan to finish, click "Save all information," and save the file to your desktop.  From there, you can attach it to a reply using the camera (Insert Media) icon included with the other formatting button.

jamielynn97  Please try playing in a clean user folder.  Move the entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents > Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  When you launch the game, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  (Your saves and other content will be intact in the folder you've moved but temporarily unread by the game.)  Don't add anything to the new folder yet; just start a new save and see how it runs.

If that doesn't help, please provide a dxdiag, as described above.

la_midgeet
      Newcomer

Playing from a clean folder allowed me to play, save & load. 

So what should I do?

I have attempted repairs multiple times too

puzzlezaddict

TazzaVM
      Rising Novice

All the notes on the dxdiag say there was no problem found, but attached is the document you requested.

jamielynn97
    Seasoned Newcomer

I have been battling all day with this as well. I have tried everything just like you and no luck. I really hope they find a solution soon! I just entered my rot all day playing the sims 4 phase and it's killing me not being able to do anything in cas!