EA Forums - Banner

FA Attack Guidance on Timing and Grace Periods

SpeirFein
26 posts Member
Developers,

Could you provide more information on how Forgotten Attacks work? My understanding is that every x time period, a random check is done and an attack is determined or not.

A few questions:

1. Does moving from 1 wave, 2 wave, 3 wave, etc increase the random check frequency per hour (e.g. - 5 checks an hour), or does the game lower the random check time period (say from every hour for 1 wave, to every 30 minutes for 2 wave)? Or is there something different that increases the rate of Forgotten Attacks?

2. Can you share the times for the attack check mentioned above (if I am not wrong)?

3. Is there a grace period after being hit by a FA? I've heard 30 minutes. And does the time differ based on wave zones or if your base dies?

4. In addition to above, are all bases safe from being hit if one base is hit, or does the game check each base individually?

5. Does moving any base re-start or activate a check on whether a Forgotten Attack will occur?

Thank you for your time. I look forward to your responses.

Replies

• gamerdruid
    2788 posts Moderator
    I'm not sure we'll get the level of information that you're requesting, although the information would be very interesting to a lot of people.
    I am not an employee of EA/Envision. The views expressed are my own!
  • EE_Elephterion
    1206 posts Envision Developer
    edited May 15
    Hello Commander,

I have moved the thread to the Tips and Guides section because I think I can answer your questions without giving away any vital secrets.

The basic rundown is like this: Each player on a Forgotten Attack world will at least get hit by 3 attacks each day. This is dice-rolled on a per player basis, not per base. Usually players will be attacked more often as the time between attacks is picked randomly from a window of at least 30 minutes grace period and 8h max after the last attack occurred.
    The number of attacks (aka waves) on a player base is primarily determined by how many Forgotten Outposts and Bases are within a 10 field radius around the chosen target. High numbers of Forgotten Bases increase that number additionally (even if the chosen attacker will be a Camp or Outpost afaik) This is evaluated for all bases of the player; those with more Forgotten entities around them have a higher chance of being chosen for the attack, with Bases contributing more probability than OPs here.

The attacker is decided based on all Forgotten entities within the 10 field radius of the now chosen target. Chance what the origin of the attack will be is dependent on the ratio of Bases to Camps+OPs. An attacker is randomly chosen from one of the two groups then.

After an attack occurred on the player, the next time of attack is scheduled. The target however is selected on the time the attack occurs, not sooner.

Now, to answer your questions!
    SpeirFein wrote: »
    1. Does moving from 1 wave, 2 wave, 3 wave, etc. increase the random check frequency per hour (e.g. - 5 checks an hour), or does the game lower the random check time period (say from every hour for 1 wave, to every 30 minutes for 2 wave)? Or is there something different that increases the rate of Forgotten Attacks?
    I think my outline above already answers that, no, the attack interval does not change based on how many waves you have to expect.
    2. Can you share the times for the attack check mentioned above (if I am not wrong)?
    Between 30 minutes and 8h, randomly.
    3. Is there a grace period after being hit by a FA? I've heard 30 minutes. And does the time differ based on wave zones or if your base dies?
    30 minutes seems correct from what I could find and it does not differ based on the number of attacks. There is an exception however, that is not the Retaliation from a Forgotten Fortress destruction.
    On player move (not Relocate aka Sector Jump; nor respawning of a players base) there is an additional check, just for that base and depending on how many Forgotten Bases are in a 10 field radius around the destination there is a chance for an immediate counter attack, on that player base that moved there. This does not count as a regular attack and does not reset the attack timer.
    4. In addition to above, are all bases safe from being hit if one base is hit, or does the game check each base individually?
    I think this was answered already but I reiterrate: Yes, other bases are save from regular attacks after a regular attack occurred, the attack timer is determined per player, not per base (with the exception of the chance of an instant attack on a base move).
    5. Does moving any base re-start or activate a check on whether a Forgotten Attack will occur?
    The mentioned instant counter-attack on base move is specific for the moved base and does not affect the overall attack timer. So yes, as mentioned above, a player base moving into a high-density Forgotten Base territory might get immediately attacked "out-of-schedule".

Envision Entertainment Community Liaison
  • @EE_Elephterion,

Thank you very much for taking the time and writing a response to my questions. I appreciate the time you took to write out your answers to my questions.
  • @EE_Elephterion,

I do have an additional question. You state:
    Yes, other bases are save from regular attacks after a regular attack occurred, the attack timer is determined per player, not per base (with the exception of the chance of an instant attack on a base move).

Does that mean that the game takes some sort of average of the wave zones of all player bases when calculating regular attacks?

Example:

B1: 0 wave
    B2: 0 Wave
    B3: 1 Wave
    B4: 2 Wave

Average regular attack interval / probability for player is equivalent to 1 wave (rounded up).
  • EE_Elephterion
    1206 posts Envision Developer
    edited May 22
    No, there is no average used from what I can see. The amount of waves on the target is determined on the 10 field radius of the base that was selected to be attacked. There is always only one target selected at a time until the next attack is scheduled.
    The waves are not separate attacks.
    Envision Entertainment Community Liaison