EA Forums - Banner

Reduce POI bonus difference

cuerdc
posts New member
Played a while back, just come back again and a bit disappointed the amount of bonus applied in poi rankings should not have such massive differences. Am sure remember a time when there was no poi's in the game giving everyone an equal chance.

For example current server tiberium bonus 1st place 170k p/h 10th place 20k p/h My current 41st place 6.8k p/h considering server has only just past 2 weeks old id say game is finished already and there was me thinking few days late would be able to catch up.

All asking is limit the difference between ranks on poi bonus, literally should be 1% between ranks or maybe % random chance.

Replies

• gamerdruid
    3948 posts Moderator
    POI's have been part of the game for a very long time. @methuselah remembers the time but they'd appeared 6years ago when I join. You probably also remember a time without a fortress :dizzy:

I don't think the values of the POI's are going to change anytime soon. Your return has highlighted what many say, that if you miss the first few days (or hours!) of a world then you may as well give up. It does also depend on which alliance you're in. If you get into one of the top 5 alliances then your bonus will help catch up, but it seems you need to be a heavily paying player as well as known to the hierarchy of the alliance to get into many alliances. (There are some who manage to do very well on 100cp and 12h rt but not many.)

I am not an employee of EA/Envision. The views expressed are my own!
  • methuselah
    428 posts Senior Moderator
    No fortress, no poi were the way this game was played for a long time. I honestly enjoyed it more back then, it was way more PvP focused then than now.
  • Soixie
    549 posts Member
    edited February 24
    I was actually thinking the reverse. POI bonus effects should be "worse" than they are now, not increased.

The difference in power and levels should be far more devastating than current coding. No one at X level should be killable by someone at X-10. A level 35 offense should not be able to launch 12 attacks and kill a level 45. A level 40 offense in PVP should require (at a minimum), 24 attacks before beating any level 45 defense. A level 35 offense should require at least 50 attacks, if not completely impossible to kill a 45.

This level disparity can also be seen vs. Fortress whereby (after virus), alliances are able to walk fortress at between -10 and -15 levels. Fortress should require -5 to defeat and require nearly 2hrs. Ex; Level 70 fortress should require 24 level 65s to defeat within TWO hours and untouchable otherwise.

Effectively, POI need to carry greater weight and the "ranking" between alliances should also be greater. On some worlds, the "top 5" alliances all receive the same overall bonus.

On older servers, we're seeing level 65 defenses being rolled in a dozen attacks or less from sub 60s.
    (old economy) The cost of raising defenses from 57 to 65 is aprox 20T/5T (Cry/Pwr) while the cost of building a level 56 unit (58 offense) offense is only 4T/1T. "Reasonable power generation" at these levels is 500M/hr. Provided the required buildings and associated offenses, we're talking 3+ years to build a 65 defense for 1 base. Meanwhile, attackers can spend 6 months building an offense to wipe out said base.

If I recall the coding, raw costs increase exponentially by 1.2^n while power only increases 1.1^n (n = level). One solution would be to increase defense power by 1.15 (vs 1.1) or test an appropriate option.

While I doubt it's physically possible to make changes in code this deep, the easier solution would be to increase the effect that defensive POIs provide and to increase the disparity between ranks 1 through 10. There is no justification whereby the top 5 POI holders should have the exact same bonus % granted.
  • chadthurston
    129 posts Member
    edited March 5
    delete
    Post edited by chadthurston on
  • My post was precisely about equality and balance and not about funded players. No one spending 5+ years building their account should be able to be wiped off the map by someone who's account is less than a year old.

I'm unclear why you feel it necessary to attack me personally, I don't know you and the arguments you bring up regarding "everyone deserves to beat center" are misplaced and irrelevant here. If you want a fortress trophy, join a winning alliance or cooperate with those in control of the server.
  • chadthurston
    129 posts Member
    edited March 5
    delete
  • Some Clownish ideas

Do we really even need POI? Who needs balance? A new challenge why not throw the game on its head?

I think only POI we require is a CREDIT POI or maybe even an RP POI (the bigger the better some will gain you credits or RP quicker than others).

Why not introduce a system where you need to kill 🤡🤡🤡 amount of Player bases before your alliance can progress to the next level of forgotten bases? For example kill level 10-20 forgotten bases and also kill similar amount of player bases (or a portion there of) before moving onto 20-30 level forgotten bases this must be achieved by all alliances. Same again before 30-40 then 40-Guardian bases. Kill bases of an alliance 3 levels above you and you reduce the number of Player bases your alliance needs to kill to progress to next level. Kill bases of an alliance more than 3 levels below your alliance and the base don't count against your total kills needed to progress to next level.

And the kicker each player has to kill to contribute if they don't then whole alliance progress is restricted.

Team work and fighting 🤡
  • gamerdruid
    3948 posts Moderator
    edited February 26
    Some interesting and non-clownish ideas there @one_cIown I'm starting to worry that you may be becoming sane like the rest of us (or is that insane, I'm not sure 🤡 🤡 🤡)

I could denigrate each idea and explain why it's unlikely to happen, but rather than be negative I'll simply say that the ideas could involve a lot of re-coding.
    I am not an employee of EA/Envision. The views expressed are my own!
  • chadthurston
    129 posts Member
    edited March 5
    delete
  • my 2 cents:
    you need to be active to grow... rp must not be on "auto pilot".
    anyone can be a winner, but i don't think that many know what that requires: team, time and "know how".
  • 🤡 🤡 🤡