EA Forums - Banner

Mechanics of Spawning Camps and Outposts

2Next

Replies

• I understand, and I appreciate the advice, but let's stick to the issue:
    Tunnel Exits of level 62 and 63 are only seen to be spawning a maximum level of 61 outposts.

My next step is to clear old outposts and see if new ones that are spawned will be higher than level 61 ( they should be )
  • gamerdruid
    3892 posts Moderator
    I've discussed this with the developers and they have confirmed that, by design, the outposts are limited to be less than 62 therefore level 61 and below.

I am not an employee of EA/Envision. The views expressed are my own!
  • I understand, and I appreciate the advice, but let's stick to the issue:
    Tunnel Exits of level 62 and 63 are only seen to be spawning a maximum level of 61 outposts.

My next step is to clear old outposts and see if new ones that are spawned will be higher than level 61 ( they should be )

Hello Commanders, thanks for pointing us to this detail!

I can confirm now that what you have observed is correct, there was some data not adjusted for the increased level caps that led to Outposts not spawning with their usual level variance beyond level 60.
    We'd like to avoid more out of schedule hotfixes, so we will adjust this issue in 20.4.

OPs are supposed to spawn with a level variance with -/+2. Previously this was capped at max level 60 to +1/-2 btw. This will also change to -/+2 at any max level in the future.

Camps on the other hand have a -1/+2 variance. They where also capped at level 65 to -/+1; in the future they will have -1/+2 level variance even at the level cap. So there will always be a chance for camps OPs to spawn slightly above player level.
    Envision Entertainment Community Liaison
  • Very nice! And thank you for your response!
  • Soixie
    530 posts Member
    edited January 12
    Updated 21/01/12;

Tunnels are inactive by default and can become active (triggered) by a qualified player base. A qualified base must meet both of the following conditions;

A base must be within 4.5 (6.5*) range of the tunnel
    A base must have an offense that is at least -6 (-7*) levels or above of the tunnel level

* Differences only applicable to PTE as of 20.3 patch.

Once activated, a function() is called to determine if an outpost shall spawn
    f(x) = chance an outpost will spawn
    BQ = quantity of qualified bases (within range and within offensive range)
    T = Tunnel level
    O = Offense level
    R = Range (distance) from tunnel
    X = Tunnel level - Offense level

1 base has a 25% chance an outpost will spawn;
    f(x) = 25% if BQ is greater than 0

5 bases have a 100% chance an outpost will spawn;
    f(x) = 100% if BQ is greater than 4

Offense level of each base has no known effect on spawn %

f(x) is called once per hour and again when an outpost is cleared. The maximum number of visible outposts visible for a tunnel is 10. There was a theory that outposts go into a waiting queue (max 14), but testing does not support this. We've watched 8 players farm the same 12 tunnels 24/7 for unlimited outpost spawns.. The trick is to make sure BQ is greater than 4 for all nearby tunnels.

A tunnel will spawn an outpost up to 6.5 spaces away from the tunnel that is activated.

Tunnels will spawn outposts -2 to +2 of the tunnel level. If Offense is less than the tunnel, then the outpost level will be -1 or -2. Once the offense level reaches tunnel level, 0 & -1 and if above then +1 & +2.
    If Offense is greater than Tunnel then +1 & +2

This level limit varies by world. Many worlds experience -2 to +5, others are still -2 to +2 and others still won't spawn any outposts past level 60. The differences are based on economy and patch level.

The average level of outpost spawned or re-spawned by a follow-up is a function of the average level of player bases within the tunnel. What this means is that as the average player base level increases around a tunnel, the probability increases for higher level outposts.

Of note: Many players believe that placing a non-qualified base around a tunnel will "block the tunnel from spawning outposts". This is 100% false and physically not possible. There is an argument that a non-qualified base shouldn't be near said tunnel as the base and it's camps will "be in the way", but a non-qualified base does not interfere with tunnels, period.
    Post edited by Soixie on
  • gamerdruid
    3892 posts Moderator
    @Soixie do you have a similar breakdown of the mechanics of Infect camps spawning?
    I am not an employee of EA/Envision. The views expressed are my own!
  • Soixie
    530 posts Member
    @gamerdruid , I haven't spent any time analyzing infected