EA Forums - Banner

Could this be the worst Madden ever ?

2Next

Replies

• EA_Cian
    253 posts EA Staff (retired)
    Hey, folks two things here:
    1. Let's try to be mindful of our language! We do try to avoid swearing on the forums, so I've edited some swearing out.
    2. Let's be mindful of the fact that, as other's have noted, different people play the game with different intentions - some want a more simulation-like experience, others may want something less sim in nature. We're generally doing a good job here on that note but I did want to just make sure we keep it in mind as the conversation continues.

Not every title is gonna be everyone's cup of tea and that's okay but just remember to be respectful of folks who come at the game from different angles, and to watch the language.
  • EA_Cian wrote: »
    Hey, folks two things here:
    1. Let's try to be mindful of our language! We do try to avoid swearing on the forums, so I've edited some swearing out.
    2. Let's be mindful of the fact that, as other's have noted, different people play the game with different intentions - some want a more simulation-like experience, others may want something less sim in nature. We're generally doing a good job here on that note but I did want to just make sure we keep it in mind as the conversation continues.

Not every title is gonna be everyone's cup of tea and that's okay but just remember to be respectful of folks who come at the game from different angles, and to watch the language.

Is there any way you can just make Madden 10 back compatible, and even better, just update the uniforms, stadiums and rosters?

Add the draft combines like the older Maddens and you may have a winner, spending so much less money creating these games getting a full "2" user ratings at Metacritic.

It's really a shame, and i hate to see hard working folks like yourselves on the end of all this. The old games are just better, but they just need a quick tune up is all.
  • moe71 wrote: »
    the problem is PLAYERS don't activate they let the CPU play defense for them, in fact they even let the CPU call their plays for them. madden needs to incorporate like FIFA you have to control a man in the area of action. I returned a punt and broke 5 tackles not one was a HUMAN controlled defender. so what was my opponent doing during all of this. and this in a nutshell is the problem with MADDEN NOW . the CPU plays better than the USER controlled man.

I couldn't disagree more. The problem is that the CPU will not hardly play defense at all. It's been reduced to glitch play X vs. glitch defense Y. It's not been a secret that people have to user certain players in certain situations, but we can't user all 11 guys on the field. Therefore, it's not an unrealistic expectation for the other 10 guys that aren't user controlled to do their freaking job, or somewhat attempt to fulfill their assignment at the very least.

Linebackers in zone coverage is the shining beacon of an example of this. Pretty much any zone coverage that SHOULD cover (or at least take away a lane) on an intermediate crossing route, is a joke. Once they get to the edge of their little box, they quit running with receivers, regardless if another receiver releases into that zone or not. This is not proper zone coverage. Then, any receiver that has had "playmaker" applied to it, will automatically cause the defender to give up on the receiver no matter what the coverage is. Hence, playmaker is pretty much just an exploit. And I find it hard to believe that it is just something that gets by the programmers every year, but instead is purposely designed that way.

One play you can see a linebacker covering Tyreek Hill step for step on a post route, and on a different play you see a TE outrunning a CB, in man coverage, on a crossing route. Said TEs are rarely hit (thrown to) when the make their break, but more often than not, they are hit after they have crossed the field. And nobody picks them up, regardless of the coverage. So, most everyone's recipe for success is to have a receiver on the left run a crossing route, roll the QB right, hit said receiver that's going to be open 95% of the time. Rinse and repeat.

Then the fact that D line sheds blocks against the run so efficiently that only a handful of rushing plays in the game are remotely effective, but yet the same DL, regardless of rating, stick to pass blockers like glue, also is laughable. I mean so side-splitting laughable, that when somebody does manage to beat a blocker with LT or Geno Atkins, the HB just steps up and stones them just as well as the OT had been doing. Not cutting, but taking them on head to head and winning 80% of the time or better. That's the CPU NOT playing defense but succumbing to whats either an epic flaw in design, or garbage that is intentionally built in.

Now back to usering, "ballhawk" is just as much of an exploit as playmaker in my opinion. I don't consider it 'skill' when this mechanic allows a player to make magical recoveries and catches and the ability to cover two routes that are specifically designed to play off of the defender having to choose one or the other. Again, this is either an epic fail in design, or it is intentionally built in for some sort of comic book effect. I pointed this out in their Plays of the Week thread, on the play titled "but it showed blitz"

And also to go along the lines of such 'great' plays, (lol) if this guy has such superhuman speed and can cover the entire field, shouldn't he get fatigued at some point? My defensive guys never, and I mean pretty much never turn yellow, orange, or red. The only time I see any of my defenders in the yellow is after a long pick-six. But on the other hand, my WR that returns kicks, is in the yellow after returning the opening kickoff to my own 30. My RB, is in the yellow any time I run him 3 times in a row for 5 yards a pop.

And finally, in response to EA_Cian and the others that point out that not everybody wants the same thing from the game. I and most others understand this and that's fine, different strokes.... But I get sick of seeing people telling those that have valid opinions and a desire for a more realistic experience, to "just get better", "you can't pay to be good at it", "stop complaining", "they are just whiners", etc etc.

I'm not saying that what I quoted here is implying. But I am saying that some people's condescending comments toward those that aren't entirely happy with the product, tries to render some of these grievances invalid. I think all complaints and grievances are, and should be, given serious consideration.

There is not thread, or forum, large enough for me to list and explain the various gripes that I have with Madden. It just seems that that list should have gotten shorter over the last few years and where I acknowledge that the game improves in certain areas all the time, some exploits and flat out unrealistic garbage just remains part of the game as if it is what the makers want. I've played it since there were three windows with A, B, and C. Back then, I could excuse a lot shortsightedness and faulty gameplay. But it's almost 2019 and I can confidently say that NCAA 12-13-14 delivered a better all-around experience, and don't require throwing away hundreds, if not thousands of dollars, to be competitive online.

I've said this before and I'll just keep saying it. I think realism, strategy, and simulation should be the ultimate goal because I believe that Madden Football was born with these things being the largest part of the original mission. The tackles in this game are evidence that realism may not be what is strived for anymore. I personally think that if the 'professional' Madden players and life-long faithful are so "good" at the game, then they would have no problem adjusting to it if the majority of the cartoon garbage was eliminated.

I'm not going anywhere, I know I'll always have the latest Madden release. Especially since there is no alternative for video game football. But, it's only October and I'm already finding myself playing, what used to be my favorite game of all time, less and less each week.