EA Forums - Banner

Watch our Official Gameplay Deep Dive for Madden 21

Learn more about Madden NFL 21 news HERE
Are you ready to hit The Yard in Madden NFL 21?
Get the deep dive on this new game mode HERE

Credit where credit is due: Madden is back!

I will be the first to come on to forums and trash a sub-par product, which madden 17 was. So its only fair to compliment the game makers where they deserve it. I am going list why this Madden is so strong, dare I say, one of the best Maddens ever, as well as provide some finer points for further improvement.

The Gameplay: controls are fluid, player move where I expect them to move, defense can cut and direct tackles. The smoothness of the player movement, is leaps and bounds beyond '17. Whatever programmers did to capture fair movement, with just the right amount of break away. I'm even willing to accept the quick turn up field "issue" as I have adapted to smoothing out the route.

Key: player characteristics. The feel of a small back versus a big receiver is high quality. This is the defining trait of player characteristics. The big guys have momentum, or quick guys have good burst. For example Mike Evans is a beast on possession catches, due to his big frame. Madden need to keep making variations in player types more accentuated. This is at the heart of feel for the game.

Graphics: A+. I'm not gonna toot a big horn. Because at this point the graphics are exceptional, we can see the guys faces, the beads of sweat even. I'm not sure what else can be done or even needs to be done... At this point Madden needs to move off the field and into the environment, if it wants to take another step forward. Like in Franchise Mode, have the stadium reflect the attendance. Have there be some away team fans, in the crowds in places where it matters. The players on the sidelines need to move with the game, not this synchronized undulation. At the end of the games have the crowds walk onto the field. The endzone celebrations are a good idea, maybe its time to Lambo Leap into the crowed, or hand someone a football. The stadiums have looked great for years, time to make the fans and the sidelines come to life. You need the medical tent. Sideline reporters. The graphics are there already, now we need the breadth.

Randomization: simply, put this Madden is addicting, because I haven't figured everything out yet. Game play is authentic and varied ... so important to the franchise. As soon I'm doing the same old stuff to get yards, and the games a reduced to a repetitive button mashing, its over. We want to be creative, we want to make things work. So all plays should work sometimes. AREA FOR IMPROVEMENT, the bubble screen should work, the screen play, the play action, running out of the gun, running out of the single back, running up the gut, counters, all need to be improved so they work, at least sometimes. What about a fake screen one way, and then back the other, maybe you need to pump fake, or shoulder fake. And of course we need the RUN PASS OPTION.

CPU Playcalling: its decent, there is some repetition, like the CPUs love for the jumbo single back loaded on one side. CPU play calling, QB tendencies, like a strong play action, or scrambling, is what makes players and teams unique. Madden needs to continue to work on High Level CPU strategy, especially situational football at the ends of games. There are moments when the CPU is dumb.

PLEASE, fix the CPU intentional grounding. If a user throws a ball away from the pocket its grounding. BUT the CPU has some magic button that it can fire a ball into the stands to avoid and in the pocket sack, and there is no penalty, in fact the CPU never ever commits an intentional grounding. I dont know whether to fix the penalties or the AI, but its not NFL football when it happens.

Franchise Mode Still Needs Love: i understand MUT is the moneymaker. But purists are still Franchising and fantasy drafting their tails off. We need the fantasy draft board back please! Please continue to improve owner mode, the stadium, tickets, merchandising, upgrading went untouched, even some slight improvements would go a long way in letting us know you care. Let me decide which jerseys to sell (especially since that broken right now)

I'm cool with player progression, after hating it at first, only because some time you get the elusive speed, or acceleration bump. I'd be willing to go back, or push forward. But the point accumulation through training still has one foot in the past. For example, we dont care about the points because we dont get to allocate them. And TRAINING needs to load way faster, its a grueling time suck right now, that i basically skip because who really cares, when you want to play games. Maybe have training where how you play is how you improve, get rid of bronz silver and gold, this isnt the Olympics, we're talking about practice.

We want more player customization for the little things we can wear on players. Like Kamara's tape.

All in all: KUDOS to developers for getting back on track. As a 20+ veteran of the franchise, i was concerned it was time to retire (like NBA 2K): but honestly this Madden is one for the ages. Credit where credit is due...

JL

Replies

• If you played Madden 18, I am not sure your reviews of Madden 19 would be the same.
  • man what this dude talking bout its alot things wrong hell my homeboys won't even buy the game cause so many problems hell i won the game at madden tournment only reason i got it

• I totally agree with everything JL is the game perfect no but at least the developers are fixing things and its definitely fun to play again we are just living in a time where if people don’t like something it’s just trash it’s the worse ever and it’s all negative.
  • tmaco13
    6 posts New member
    Agreed! While there are some things that need to be fixed (such as warp picks...)overall I feel this game is better than 18. I do miss the 91 zone for one reason...your defenders played the ball much better and made you make better reads and get punished for making terrible reads. I wish they would have kept the 91 zone but tweaked the way they react to where they can't 180 in the air to pick it off right as the ball was about to be released.
  • I meant 18, when I wrote '17. Last years game was atrocious
  • I will be the first to come on to forums and trash a sub-par product, which madden 17 was. So its only fair to compliment the game makers where they deserve it. I am going list why this Madden is so strong, dare I say, one of the best Maddens ever, as well as provide some finer points for further improvement.

The Gameplay: controls are fluid, player move where I expect them to move, defense can cut and direct tackles. The smoothness of the player movement, is leaps and bounds beyond '17. Whatever programmers did to capture fair movement, with just the right amount of break away. I'm even willing to accept the quick turn up field "issue" as I have adapted to smoothing out the route.

Key: player characteristics. The feel of a small back versus a big receiver is high quality. This is the defining trait of player characteristics. The big guys have momentum, or quick guys have good burst. For example Mike Evans is a beast on possession catches, due to his big frame. Madden need to keep making variations in player types more accentuated. This is at the heart of feel for the game.

Graphics: A+. I'm not gonna toot a big horn. Because at this point the graphics are exceptional, we can see the guys faces, the beads of sweat even. I'm not sure what else can be done or even needs to be done... At this point Madden needs to move off the field and into the environment, if it wants to take another step forward. Like in Franchise Mode, have the stadium reflect the attendance. Have there be some away team fans, in the crowds in places where it matters. The players on the sidelines need to move with the game, not this synchronized undulation. At the end of the games have the crowds walk onto the field. The endzone celebrations are a good idea, maybe its time to Lambo Leap into the crowed, or hand someone a football. The stadiums have looked great for years, time to make the fans and the sidelines come to life. You need the medical tent. Sideline reporters. The graphics are there already, now we need the breadth.

Randomization: simply, put this Madden is addicting, because I haven't figured everything out yet. Game play is authentic and varied ... so important to the franchise. As soon I'm doing the same old stuff to get yards, and the games a reduced to a repetitive button mashing, its over. We want to be creative, we want to make things work. So all plays should work sometimes. AREA FOR IMPROVEMENT, the bubble screen should work, the screen play, the play action, running out of the gun, running out of the single back, running up the gut, counters, all need to be improved so they work, at least sometimes. What about a fake screen one way, and then back the other, maybe you need to pump fake, or shoulder fake. And of course we need the RUN PASS OPTION.

CPU Playcalling: its decent, there is some repetition, like the CPUs love for the jumbo single back loaded on one side. CPU play calling, QB tendencies, like a strong play action, or scrambling, is what makes players and teams unique. Madden needs to continue to work on High Level CPU strategy, especially situational football at the ends of games. There are moments when the CPU is dumb.

PLEASE, fix the CPU intentional grounding. If a user throws a ball away from the pocket its grounding. BUT the CPU has some magic button that it can fire a ball into the stands to avoid and in the pocket sack, and there is no penalty, in fact the CPU never ever commits an intentional grounding. I dont know whether to fix the penalties or the AI, but its not NFL football when it happens.

Franchise Mode Still Needs Love: i understand MUT is the moneymaker. But purists are still Franchising and fantasy drafting their tails off. We need the fantasy draft board back please! Please continue to improve owner mode, the stadium, tickets, merchandising, upgrading went untouched, even some slight improvements would go a long way in letting us know you care. Let me decide which jerseys to sell (especially since that broken right now)

I'm cool with player progression, after hating it at first, only because some time you get the elusive speed, or acceleration bump. I'd be willing to go back, or push forward. But the point accumulation through training still has one foot in the past. For example, we dont care about the points because we dont get to allocate them. And TRAINING needs to load way faster, its a grueling time suck right now, that i basically skip because who really cares, when you want to play games. Maybe have training where how you play is how you improve, get rid of bronz silver and gold, this isnt the Olympics, we're talking about practice.

We want more player customization for the little things we can wear on players. Like Kamara's tape.

All in all: KUDOS to developers for getting back on track. As a 20+ veteran of the franchise, i was concerned it was time to retire (like NBA 2K): but honestly this Madden is one for the ages. Credit where credit is due...

JL

Not sure where you get the key player characteristics are good. They actually dont matter at all. Height and weight make absolutely no difference in this game and there are plenty of youtube videos showing this.

Overall i agree with the rest of your post, however i think you make a pretty good argument, indirectly, for why this game is terrible. I for one feel ripped off for buying it since they really played the franchise update card pretty hard and its not really any better, if only just minor improvements.

The game is not fun against the ai at all. The cpu is either way too easy or making absurd behind the back no look interceptions etc. Its like they optimized the game for multiplayer/online and just could not care about the ai/singleplayer.

Also, i find running out of the shotgun the ONLY running plays that work consistently..

I noticed you left out all the bugs from your post. This is the most bug infested aaa title game i have ever played in my life.

This game is nowhere near the best madden.. actually, its definitely competing for the worst. If not the worst.
  • How in world do you release a game in August and have a broken run turbo and say it’s the best game. Don’t sell the the product if it’s not finished. If that’s case just make one game and constantly update rosters and fixes pay monthly fee to play the game like 10 bucks. Like buying a new car that suppose to have reverse but you have two wait two months and then it will work. Fumble animation,run turbo,ghost stats on H2H name a few. Thier budget must be cutback because of all the late updates and fixes. I hope they turn things around. Only reason I come to forums is to try to make a positive change. I’ve never been on madden forums this much until this year because of the frustration this game has created. I’m been obsessed with madden since sega days. Credit for what?focusing on MUT and nothing else with major game fixes half way through the NFL Season. It’s botched and hopefully they can build a better team for madden 20 with Rex’s exodus. I miss REX already!