EA Forums - Banner

Madden 20 bugs and opinions

hawk4813
19 posts Member
edited September 2019
1. Why can’t developers make a safety pick up a corner route when playing zone and it’s the only person within 20yds of him?
2. Why are defenders so much faster than WRs running routes? I had some random corner get beat by DJax today by like 3yds and the guy selected the CB, outran DJax and got in front to make the pick. A guy can literally take a safety and go to the line and wait until my WR is 10yds down field, wait until I throw it, run faster than the ball and contest the throw. This makes no sense.
3. Why is everyone allowed to just press CBs and not really risk getting beat deep? Everyone is playing this defense and it makes no sense.
4. Why are defenders allowed to hit route runners (while the ball is in the air even) to throw them off the route and there isn’t PI. You only get PI called if a guy gets tackled or hitsticked.
5. Why does my QB always underthrow balls to the guy’s hip so the CB can recover and make a catch after getting beat for 5yds?
6. Why can a CB defending a streak turn around to play a corner route underneath him when his head is turned? He shouldn’t even know the ball is there.
7. Why are the good running backs able to murder 3-4 defenders and their families with one truck stick? I’ve got loads of video of things prime AP couldn’t think up in his wildest dreams.
8. Why do my guys like Kamara, Gurley or Ertz fumble every game when I’m covering up? Some of these good RBs rarely fumble and realistically they should only cough it up every 8-games or so.
9. Why is it so hard to catch a ball even when I user if a defender touches them? Haven’t the developers ever watched football before? It’s so rare to make a catch when a defender is near a WR, even the good ones.
10. Why did I fumble today when I got hitsticked from behind? How is that even possible?
11. Why does the ball fall right into other DBs hands after getting deflected all the time. Picks like I’m seeing would be top plays of the week and this situation where the ball turns into a balloon after it’s deflected happens most games I play.
12. Why do they make Madden now for newbs to compete with people. I drop at least one quick throw to my LB or DB that I can’t user ever game and the guy just gets to continue his drive. It used to be that good players would crush people who suck, but the game and how it’s constructed has taken the competition out of the hands of users and more into the hands of AI.
13. Why can’t Drew Brees throw a post or a seam? Every throw is 7yds out in front of the WR and he either has to dive or a safety picks it.
14. Fix the game please. It’s gotten worse every year since 2012 and this year is barely better than 2019. I have 3-4 friends who used to be heavily invested that don’t even bother anymore because it’s been ruined in a lot of ways.

[Removed profanity]
Post edited by EA_Roger on

Replies

• tosstamer1
    314 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    I have made numerous post about 2 - 7.

I play in a connected franchise where I was playing a guy usering a 50s-60s cov attribute LB (whom are supposed to be nurfed) but had like 87 speed, could run with 97 speed John Ross on a slant across the field and pick it just because a user is controlling him. Its soooo many time where I have sent 97 speed John Ross on a seam, and an 85-88 speed DB who is beat by 10+ yards go catch him 60 yards down the field and either break up the play or pick it. Had a guy tell me that WRs don't run routes full speed irl, so thats why it's logical hahahahahahaha... Ignorance is the reason why change is so hard to accomplish I guess.

Also, the defense that everyone is running with the entire defense on the LOS in a cov 4 and you cant beat them deep. Made a post soul for that issue. No press or anything, but the safety nor CB can get beat deep is blasphemy. I have had some success in a few instances playing with Seahawks and chunking it to 95 speed 82-84 release Metcalf possibly because he has high release. But it only works about 30 percent of the time people are running that defense.
    I'm literally so disgusted by those two issues because it proves that these people don't follow the sport that they are making a game for.

People in my league do the PI glitch purposely on your best WR so he cant even move. You can literally push the WR backwards and its a no call. So awful.

Running the ball is so OP its not even fun... So many people saying its not that bad when I play in a franchise with 8-10 players who get tourney invites for MUT because they are top 100 and they get ran on for 250-300 yards per game. And yes, I have many clips where after a RB trucks one person, the rest of the defense falls like bowling pins without a RB animation.

I'm with you on all these issues bro.
  • Hawk481,

I know some of the answers to these questions... But not all of them. I'll address them individually. Tosstamer1 and I have different ideas about some of these, so I agreed to make a video about what the speed rating (SPD) really means in terms of separation, route speed vs sprint speed, etc...

Also, I'm on PS4 so I always list PS4 buttons first then the XBox buttons...
    hawk4813 wrote: »
    1. Why can’t developers make a safety pick up a corner route when playing zone and it’s the only person within 20yds of him?

By default, the deep zones by safeties or corners won't abandon his assigned zone to react to a receiver running a corner or flag route. To make him pay attention to a receiver running the corner, you have to spotlight him.
    • Call a coverage audible (Triangle/Y)
    • Select Individual (X/A)
    • Choose the receiver icon
    • Select Spotlight (X/A)

The menu that allows you to spotlight also lets you shade a specific receiver left, right, press, or play off coverage.
    2. Why are defenders so much faster than WRs running routes? I had some random corner get beat by DJax today by like 3yds and the guy selected the CB, outran DJax and got in front to make the pick. A guy can literally take a safety and go to the line and wait until my WR is 10yds down field, wait until I throw it, run faster than the ball and contest the throw. This makes no sense.

My theory, as I've been debating with tosstamer1, is that receivers don't run their routes at full speed, but a user controlled DB is usually sprinting with R2/RT if the receiver has a step. The result is that it looks like the slower DB is catching up to a faster receiver and making the play...

If my theory is correct, as the video will either prove of disprove, the best way to prevent a DB from catching up and playing the ball is to:
    • Throw a lob pass to reduce the area where the ball is playable by the defense
    • Lead the pass upfield so your receiver has to sprint to make the catch
    • Take control of the receiver and sprint so the DB can't catch up
    • RAC catch the pass
    3. Why is everyone allowed to just press CBs and not really risk getting beat deep? Everyone is playing this defense and it makes no sense.

There's press alignment and press coverage. They are not the same. For instance, people that use the Cover 4 Show 2 will line up like they are pressing, but the DB won't lay a hand on the receiver as he bails out to his deep zone; while a DB in man coverage will try to jam receivers at the line (as will a defender playing the flats).

Just because they are lined up close to the line doesn't mean the DB is jamming a receiver. But if he does jam you, you will have the best chance to beat the DB deep.
    4. Why are defenders allowed to hit route runners (while the ball is in the air even) to throw them off the route and there isn’t PI. You only get PI called if a guy gets tackled or hitsticked.

Been wondering this myself for years... ???
    5. Why does my QB always underthrow balls to the guy’s hip so the CB can recover and make a catch after getting beat for 5yds?

A few things.

First, don't be fooled by the pass target that appears on the field when you throw. That spot is the place where the ball is at chest height. If you try to catch the pass at that spot, you run the risk of a defender making the play if your receiver is tightly (or sometimes not so tightly) covered. Try to make the catch in front of the pass target spot.

Second, the way you throw the ball matters. Bullet passes are the easiest to defend in front of the pass target because they are low. Touch passes have more arc and reduce the area where the defender can make a play. Lob passes have the most arc and minimize the area a defender can make a play. The difference is how fast you need the ball to arrive...

If you're anything like me, you throw bullet passes whenever you see a receiver running open that you weren't expecting to be open when you made a pre-snap read. Out of excitement, I hit the receiver's icon too hard and give the defender a shot at making a play. This is compounded by moving my receiver to the passing target spot where a defender can undercut the pass...

Don't be like me. LOL
    6. Why can a CB defending a streak turn around to play a corner route underneath him when his head is turned? He shouldn’t even know the ball is there.

Yup... Sadly this is how EA patched a problem with zone coverage where defenders wouldn't react to balls when they were looking right at them. So instead of redoing the zone logic, which I'll assume would take weeks (or longer) they adjusted the zone reaction times by 0.2 seconds. During that update, they said more zone updates would be upcoming - so maybe the changes we want are coming. Stay tuned!
    7. Why are the good running backs able to murder 3-4 defenders and their families with one truck stick? I’ve got loads of video of things prime AP couldn’t think up in his wildest dreams.

No answer... I'd like to see the videos though.
    8. Why do my guys like Kamara, Gurley or Ertz fumble every game when I’m covering up? Some of these good RBs rarely fumble and realistically they should only cough it up every 8-games or so.

Fumbling has been a problem in Madden 20... Personally, I fumble about 80% of the time when I scramble past the line with Cam Newton and don't slide. The devs have mentioned that they tuned fumbles to happen less frequently, but I'm still seeing a ton of complaints about it. Of course, that funing does not effect running with the QB on designed pass plays - they want us to fumble for balance.?.?
    9. Why is it so hard to catch a ball even when I user if a defender touches them? Haven’t the developers ever watched football before? It’s so rare to make a catch when a defender is near a WR, even the good ones.

I'm not sure about what mode you're playing, but I break up a lot of passes when the ball is thrown where I can get a hand in before the catch is complete because I use the SWAT button on about 75% of my pass defenses. I'm not sure if the action the defender uses to break up passes is displayed when playing the CPU, but I like seeing "USER _____" anytime I preform the action.
    10. Why did I fumble today when I got hitsticked from behind? How is that even possible?

Once upon a time, long ago, I got lit up from behind in real life and coughed up the ball. Defender hit my back and my chest actually knocked the ball out. After I could breathe again, I decided not to run near him again. LOL
    11. Why does the ball fall right into other DBs hands after getting deflected all the time. Picks like I’m seeing would be top plays of the week and this situation where the ball turns into a balloon after it’s deflected happens most games I play.

Same here... Every deflection is a tip drill because DB's rarely knock it down - even on Hail Mary plays.
    12. Why do they make Madden now for newbs to compete with people. I drop at least one quick throw to my LB or DB that I can’t user ever game and the guy just gets to continue his drive. It used to be that good players would crush people who suck, but the game and how it’s constructed has taken the competition out of the hands of users and more into the hands of AI.

I'm an old head. I've been playing Madden since before most people playing nowadays were even born. The slide to protect newbies and lightweights started with Madden 2004 with Fair Play. Just one year before, people complained that everything was a glitch. Madden 2003 was like the Wild West, but the game played pretty true - we just didn't know it, because a lot of the things people were doing had never been seen in a real NFL game.

I'll redo a video I made years ago that was kinda on this subject.
    13. Why can’t Drew Brees throw a post or a seam? Every throw is 7yds out in front of the WR and he either has to dive or a safety picks it.

I've noticed this too when playing against the Saints when they throw slants and posts... Not sure why, but it is consistent. Are you leading the pass with the left stick? That would explain why the ball is throw so far in front. Pressure would also explain an inaccurate pass. Otherwise, I have no clue.?.?
    14. Fix the game please. It’s gotten worse every year since 2012 and this year is barely better than 2019. I have 3-4 friends who used to be heavily invested that don’t even bother anymore because it’s been ruined in a lot of ways.

Even with the flaws, I think Madden 20 is the best in years... A user controlled ball carrier or defender is more responsive than when they introduced "Locomotion."

But I do miss the robust play calling - it seems every playbook is packed with 30 different versions of Cover 3 that all play virtually the same. Cover 3 Match and Cover 3 Match Press are only both in the game because the CPU never uses press coverage and that was the workaround they chose years ago...

Later
  • It would be smart for EA to make a version of Madden for the PlayStation Vita or update the version Madden 13 cuz I like to play on the go
  • MaddenUniversity,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. FYI I am aware of all the gameplay stuff you said. Not to toot my own horn, but not counting pros I am a top-10 player every year I play. I am fairly experience. I know you wrote your response months ago and I agree at this point -- after the fixes this is the best Madden since M12. I realize you responded months ago, but here are my responses to your breakdowns:

I tried using the individual stuff and surprise! It doesn't work haha. It's good for not getting beat deep by Tyreek Hill though.

Clearly AI WRs aren't running full speed, that's sort of my point. What's even worse is, when you try and user to gain position on a deep ball with your WR, there's a bug that makes you lock up and sprint away from the ball 50% of the time. But I am familiar with all the stuff you said.

I realize that they aren't jamming all the time, in fact pressing is awful in this game a lot of the time unless someone is trying to Pinch Press Cov2 someone. It does buy some time. But I digress: even if they aren't jamming, a slow corner like Talib shouldn't be able to line up with a guy like Deebo Samuel and run with him down field. It's a speed thing.

We agree it's bad.

Again, familiar with High Pass on deep balls to create loft, but DBs recover to make some absolutely ridiculous plays still.

We agree this is bad.

Look at my feed BigGameJamesCW and I have clips early on of Gurley absolutely trucking like 3-people.

They fixed the fumbling issue, thank God.

This one still bugs me. You have to make a possession catch to catch the ball with contact in this game. It's ridiculous. Good players should be able to RAC without holding A.

I don't think you understand what I am saying with this. I was running full speed and Wagner came from behind me and hitsticked me causing crazy impact and a fumble. It wasn't a scenario where the guy chasing was running way faster than me. It defied physics is my point haha.

This is still an issue in the game. I heard that it's because Madden shares code with FIFA. But I had a scenario where I knocked a ball down on 4th and 15 and it ricocheted off no lie ---- 5-6+ players before being caught by my opponent for a first down. Something similar happened later in the game and I ended up losing because of these things. Just one of THOSE games, but the ball needs to function as if it has weight.

This is still an issue for me. If someone throws it right to my DB/LB, they should catch it 80% of the time. In the same game i just talked about, he threw it to my AI on quick throws 5-times+ and I didn't get one of em. It's a joke.

I have tried everything to fix this, but Brees can't make these throws. It **** me off because I am a Saints fan and would exclusively play with NO if he could just throw it normally. Besides Mahomes, Watson and Wilson -- guys like JimmyG and Wentz are the best QBs in the game. Brees is a 97 or whatever and he's basically useless to me haha. I make every throw on the dot with JG.