EA Forums - Banner

Madden NFL 20 - Gridiron Notes: November Title update

Check out the Gridiron notes on our title update and share your feedback here

QB Spy

Prev1
I just played a guy that I can’t mention do to lame rules here, that just ran past 3 spy’s. No matter what I did I couldn’t stop Lamar Jackson from Running. It’s like he found a way to cut off the suction animatiion and make it where as soon as he hiked the ball he could just take off running. So my question is do you guys plan on making a spy a real spy that will actually make the QB a passer?

Replies

• botravis wrote: »
    I just played a guy that I can’t mention do to lame rules here, that just ran past 3 spy’s. No matter what I did I couldn’t stop Lamar Jackson from Running. It’s like he found a way to cut off the suction animatiion and make it where as soon as he hiked the ball he could just take off running. So my question is do you guys plan on making a spy a real spy that will actually make the QB a passer?

What I do against those who play like that I put my fastest LBs as DEs to contain the QB and I use the LB in the middle. It helps quite a bit but sometimes able to get away
  • I use 3-4 and meant my fastest LBs on the outside to contain
  • A big problem right now is that clicking the right stick doesn't always send the spy first. Lost a game because I wanted to send the spy on the QB for rolling out, while I played coverage only for a DB, who was farther away to leave his man.

Another issue is that escape artist allows users to beat contains to the edge. Basically, EA has made superstar abilities game breaking across the board. IMO they need to completely retune and nerf all of the abilities bc user skills and IQ are at an all-time low as far as impact this year.
  • Oh ok I see now. So my next question is Lamar Jackson escape artist? And Respek trust me bro the way this guy was playing, it was Glitchy the way he was running his QB. It was like he had a code that gave him 2007 QB Gameplay. Once I exited the gm I checked and sure enough he was in the TOP 10 😳
  • RobRenfro
    9 posts New member
    If he cheats to win it says more about him that you man. There is a great defense to stop that. I think it's a 3-1-7 qb spy. No only spy him but blitz the side he runs to. Use a team with good dbs like New England as much as I dislike them.and a guy Collins with his length or hightower against the run.. rush Can Not off the edge. I play Baltimore. But I try to simulate a real game offense. The in game injury levels should go up for constant qb runs.
  • Spies alone will not be enough against an above average scrambling threat. Lamar Jackson is a unique challenge and deserves a unique approach. You must mix spies with contains and blitzes to force him to roll left on designed pass plays and rally to the ball on designed QB run plays.

It's also a good idea to spy with speed. Against a fast QB, I like use one extra DB against base packages. If they come out with base personnel (2RB, 1TE, 2WR) I'll use Nickel formations with 4 D-linemen. If they bring 3 WR, I'll bring in either an extra LB or a DB. That way, the spy is just as fast as the QB.

Later
  • Madden University do you ever stream your games? I would like to see your opponents.
    Madden University do you ever stream your games? I would like to see your opponents.

I don't stream them, but I post the best ones... Search TNT713 on YouTube.
  • Cool Bro! I don’t wanna watch you play a “Good Game” I wanna watch you play against some of these top 25 guys that do so much stuff and see how do YOU counter it.
    Cool Bro! I don’t wanna watch you play a “Good Game” I wanna watch you play against some of these top 25 guys that do so much stuff and see how do YOU counter it.

Suit yourself... I'm not sure who is in the top 25 and who isn't... I just play whoever I'm matched up with and post the games that come down to the 4th quarter.

Later

• The-Sporty-Hero
    408 posts Member
    edited October 14
    Today I called qb spy and the moment the ball was thrown I picked it off. Oh and it was against the Ravens lol. :-)
  • Today I called qb spy and the moment the ball was thrown I picked it off. Oh and it was against the Ravens lol. :-)

Should have thrown a touch or lob pass instead of a bullet. LOL

Later
  • Afrom3ister
    46 posts Member
    edited October 16
    Today I called qb spy and the moment the ball was thrown I picked it off. Oh and it was against the Ravens lol. :-)

Should have thrown a touch or lob pass instead of a bullet. LOL

Later

The problem is they've buffed reaction time up so much that there's hardly a window to throw those passes.

Lobs are only good for streaks and wheels against single man, while touches are even trickier bc ball arcs are still terrible, while passes are underthrown, even if you lead.
  • Yea, I wish they would make LB/L1 touch pass (over lbs under safeties) instead of high pass. Anything thrown high is an automatic drop/ break up anyways. The big thing was the pass trajectory was fixed. I see some instances were it is (only when throwing like a 20-25 yard post on LBs), but most of the time its the same as last year.

User DBs can still be burnt by 5 yards on a deep route (streak, post) and go up an pick it. Dudes on defense always come up with the safety while the wr is running a seam route to bait you into throwing it. The problem is that the DB will be beat by 5-10 yards, but they can just go up 15 feet to pick it still. It makes passing so boring because the same stuff is open in whatever coverage. Everyone just spams cov 3, cov 4 so you can throw a 10 yard out or comeback every play. Which makes passing super boring.
  • tosstamer1 wrote: »
    Yea, I wish they would make LB/L1 touch pass (over lbs under safeties) instead of high pass. Anything thrown high is an automatic drop/ break up anyways. The big thing was the pass trajectory was fixed. I see some instances were it is (only when throwing like a 20-25 yard post on LBs), but most of the time its the same as last year.

User DBs can still be burnt by 5 yards on a deep route (streak, post) and go up an pick it. Dudes on defense always come up with the safety while the wr is running a seam route to bait you into throwing it. The problem is that the DB will be beat by 5-10 yards, but they can just go up 15 feet to pick it still. It makes passing so boring because the same stuff is open in whatever coverage. Everyone just spams cov 3, cov 4 so you can throw a 10 yard out or comeback every play. Which makes passing super boring.

This whole game needs an overhaul.

Coverages should be tighter in order to get breakups and picks. If you play the ball or go for a swat and miss, there should be penalties (no more auto-drop force fields or pass break-up animations). That should go to the play receiver button (A/X). Also, hit sticking a WR going for the ball should run the risk of targeting/unnecessary roughness. There needs to be a new system in place as well, where the defender has to have his head turned in order to pick off a pass (how well they get their head around should be tied to awareness and cvg ability). Lurking needs to be nerfed big time. No more running circles from one route to another. If you sprint down to the drag on a high/low read, you're not going to be able to go the other way without having to slow down in order to change direction.

QB passing and trajectory needs to lead more and have a slightly high ball trajectory. Tight window throws should have penalties in accuracy based on how good your QB is. This would make having elite pocket passers viable in this game because they could feast on bad match-ups even if the coverage is tight.

When it comes to line play STOP SCRIPTING BLOCKS, SHEDS AND PRESSURES BASED SOLELY ON FORMATIONS AND ALIGNMENTS.

Acceleration needs to matter here, because a slower guard off the snap should have trouble with reach and combo blocks. A DT or DE isn't going to be able to cross-face a lineman at a high rate if they're lined up too far outside a lineman (those cross-face animations should be tied to acceleration and sheds).

Please fix all of these cut blocks. Theses are even happening in pass pro against defenders in contain. They hardly ever miss AND they wipe out a defender. There needs to be more misses and more defenders avoiding it, but also slown down a bit. The effectiveness should be tied to run block finesse, so WRs aren't sealing edges at the success they do now.

One last thing, if a lineman engages a DB or S, that safety isn't going toe-to-toe and shedding that block. No, in real-life they get destroy for trying that, so if they line up on the line of scrimmage, that lineman should be locked in on them or pancaking them. In the open field, if a DB doesn't evade the block, they should be going low to take out the lineman, while also taking themselvs out of the play. If neither happens, then they're going for a ride.
  • Yea that user comment needs to be seen. I play fifa more than madden (solely because I feel like you actually have more control over what happens in the game) but american football is of course my first sport.

Point is that in fifa, on defense, they make it so if your user defender is sprinting, he can't just stop on a dime and go the other direction without your players momentum running its course. It should be the same way in madden.

Anyone with a decent user can do all of these in one play:

Run with a slant, then peel off to cover the seam, then go bait the dig route, then run back to pick off the seam that you're 5-10 yards underneath. Not to mention those cause a ton of coverage sacks as well because someone user can go cover 2/3s of the field. It's really bad because Ed Reed couldn't even do that and he's the GOAT. But on Madden, you can do that with a LB. I'm going to make a post solely about that.
  • dollar defense...QB contain and set your fastest QB as a spy. If you hit stick him enough when he takes off to run, he will eventually fumble and then shy away from it.
  • Afrom3ister
    46 posts Member
    edited October 20
    dollar defense...QB contain and set your fastest QB as a spy. If you hit stick him enough when he takes off to run, he will eventually fumble and then shy away from it.

QB spies do not rush the QB when he escapes the pocket. They just follow him.

As I said above, the problem with that is when you try to send him manually, the spy isn't automatically the first one sent, which creates massive issues when you're also trying to defend the the play maker as well.

Additionally for whatever reason, rushers the past few years are also extremely slown disengaging from their blocks and are also susceptible to a high number of cut blocks. These two components plus the addition of escape artist make contains and spies almost completely useless.
  • QB spies do not rush the QB when he escapes the pocket. They just follow him.

As I said above, the problem with that is when you try to send him manually, the spy isn't automatically the first one sent, which creates massive issues when you're also trying to defend the the play maker as well.

I've moved from Sand Diego to LA and haven't played an online game in 2 updates (September 7th actually)... Now that I have my studio setup again, I'll get back into it. But...

Does the QB Spy not rush when the QB gets outside the numbers anymore? Because once upon a time, there was an invisible line near the numbers that triggered a spy to rush automatically. I was in a league once and an opponent straddled the line to maneuver my spy vertically. Of course, that was back in the days before you could send anyone by clicking the right stick.

What have I missed?

Later
  • QB spies do not rush the QB when he escapes the pocket. They just follow him.

I've moved from Sand Diego to LA and haven't played an online game in 2 updates (September 7th actually)... Now that I have my studio setup again, I'll get back into it. But...

Does the QB Spy not rush when the QB gets outside the numbers anymore? Because once upon a time, there was an invisible line near the numbers that triggered a spy to rush automatically. I was in a league once and an opponent straddled the line to maneuver my spy vertically. Of course, that was back in the days before you could send anyone by clicking the right stick.

What have I missed?

Later

Nope. This issue started last year and has never really been addressed.

If a QB gets outside the pocket, the spy will just follow them down the LOS. Clicking right stick used to send him first, but one of their late August/Early September patches broke that mechanic. Instead, it'll randomly send DBs who are on a WR.

This mechanic has also broken defenders who's man has been left to block. It's no longer a guarantee that you send them when RS is clicked.