EA Forums - Banner

Madden NFL 20 - Gridiron Notes: April Title update

Check out the Gridiron notes on our title update and share your feedback here

Running Quarterbacks

Prev1
Sorry I just need to vent. I'm having a hard time containing these scrambling quarterbacks. If I put fast players on the field, I just get run over with a brusing o-line and stud rb. If I leave my bruisers in there, I get roasted by fast quarterbacks. I'm just getting spammed with lamar jackson and vick. Very few want to use the truly great quarterbacks in football but would rather run with speed. Frustrating.

Replies

• Its insane this year because it raises the QBs speed like 20 points lol
  • Sorry I just need to vent. I'm having a hard time containing these scrambling quarterbacks. If I put fast players on the field, I just get run over with a brusing o-line and stud rb. If I leave my bruisers in there, I get roasted by fast quarterbacks. I'm just getting spammed with lamar jackson and vick. Very few want to use the truly great quarterbacks in football but would rather run with speed. Frustrating.

Escape Artist beats contains way too easily and the speed boost it provides is ridiculous. Spies are also back to being broken bc clicking the right stick doesn't send the spy first, nor does the spy rush the QB once he escapes the pocket (which is the entire point of a spy).
  • Stop playing MUT then. If people stop playing that, the cash flow will stop and maybe EA will focus on actual game play.
  • Stop playing MUT then. If people stop playing that, the cash flow will stop and maybe EA will focus on actual game play.

This happens in H2H too dude!
  • botravis
    203 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    I’ve never played MUT and I never will because I’m not a Fan of throwback Mania. I like whatever Team I like and I want that Current roster. I HATE MUT I hate the concept and I especially hate the fact that it has somewhat ruined H2H. I’ve also noticed that everything that the H2H bangers “wish” for they add that specific feature to MUT. 😡
  • Madden players have had trouble with scrambling quarterbacks for years before Escape Artist was added to Madden NFL 19. The good news is that the strategies to contain a scrambling QB are the same. Blitzing, Spying, and Containing all kinda work against a regular scramble threat, but you'll need a more creative mix to stop the above average scrambling threat. While it may require 2 defenders, it will usually work to prevent the QB from killing you with his legs.

Years ago, I wrote an article called "Descrambling Quarterbacks" at MaddenUniversity.com, a website I've run for 16 years, detailing how I stop QB's from running. This article is in the member's section, but it's FREE to signup (always has been) and being a member gets you full access to everything. Don't worry, we don't sell anything, including your information. But if you want to stop the Vick's and Lamar Jackson's of the world, you might benefit from reading it.

Later
  • Maybe it is a H2H thing but I found that spying w/ my LB-- there have been times I've used DBs as well seem to work. But I do not play H2H often so that could be the thing.
  • Kenny you gotta play H2H to see the stuff we’re talking about! It’s CRAAAZY! Hike pick a seam and go as if no defenders are on the field
  • Just got done playing somebody with lamar jackson. he ran his way to victory. 90% was just running outside the pocket with lamar. I tried stopping it but when i hit r3 my guys wouldn't pursue they just stood there. lmao.
  • Everytime I see another player with Lamar Jackson I just roll my eyes cause i know what style of play to expect. Can't read a defense so they rely on the qb to run.
  • > @GeneralLebronski said:
    > Sorry I just need to vent. I'm having a hard time containing these scrambling quarterbacks. If I put fast players on the field, I just get run over with a brusing o-line and stud rb. If I leave my bruisers in there, I get roasted by fast quarterbacks. I'm just getting spammed with lamar jackson and vick. Very few want to use the truly great quarterbacks in football but would rather run with speed. Frustrating.

I completely disagree, my 96 speed qb gets out ran by linemen...
  • Scrambling QB's are worthless unless they have an X factor trait!!! You may just need to change your defensive playstyle, I just played against Jackson and kept him to 138 passing yards and 58 rush yards, he also took 3 sacks and threw 2 picks. you just have to hone in on them, 7/10 plays I was spying the QB and there were still about 3-4 times he made me look dumb. lol Not getting frustrated can help, when I get frustrated, I know my play is complete bootie.

The inability to edit Superstar and X-factor Superstar traits as a coach or owner in the franchise mode has single-handedly become one of the most annoying things I have ever had to deal with on the game. It seems the traits are completely random, I have a QB with 96 overall speed but when he runs or scrambles he is slower than 90% of the defenses, he is an x-factor trait player but none of his abilities, besides jukebox, work with his play style. If I could edit his superstar abilities and make it so he could actually scramble, that would be perfect. The point of a CUSTOM franchise is to be able to customize it!
  • 15 years later... And people still won't read the article about how to stop scrambling QB's. It worked then. it works now. It will work 10 years from now.

I forgive the guys that didn't know it was there... But to the guys that have seen me post as TNT713 at various Madden forums all over the net... SMH.

Oh well... I'm stopping scrambling QB's.

Later
  • With all due respect! IMPOSSIBLE! The only person I’ve seen that can do it is the number 3 Guy. I gotta give him credit where it’s due. He knows every Glitchy tactic/formation it is to know but when you’re ranked that high it’s survival of the fittest. The number 1 guy is trash BTW
  • Madden players have had trouble with scrambling quarterbacks for years before Escape Artist was added to Madden NFL 19. The good news is that the strategies to contain a scrambling QB are the same. Blitzing, Spying, and Containing all kinda work against a regular scramble threat, but you'll need a more creative mix to stop the above average scrambling threat. While it may require 2 defenders, it will usually work to prevent the QB from killing you with his legs.

Years ago, I wrote an article called "Descrambling Quarterbacks" at MaddenUniversity.com, a website I've run for 16 years, detailing how I stop QB's from running. This article is in the member's section, but it's FREE to signup (always has been) and being a member gets you full access to everything. Don't worry, we don't sell anything, including your information. But if you want to stop the Vick's and Lamar Jackson's of the world, you might benefit from reading it.

Later

Unfortunately, the only two reliable ways to stop a scrambler is to blitz/contain your nickel(s) or to rush three and manually spy out of man coverage.

Even then that still gets beat because of the high frequency of cut blocks out of pass pro, which also happen to zero animations of a defender beating a cut clean.
  • Unfortunately, the only two reliable ways to stop a scrambler is to blitz/contain your nickel(s) or to rush three and manually spy out of man coverage.

Even then that still gets beat because of the high frequency of cut blocks out of pass pro, which also happen to zero animations of a defender beating a cut clean.

I agree that the two ways you listed are viable ways to stop a scrambling QB. We can agree to disagree that they are the only ways.

Later
  • I thought to myself the other day that QB's are hard to stop when they want to run or scramble. as QB I had 3 rushers coming at me, I ran to make room for a pass, but one got to me and my QB did a spin move and ducked under the second rusher and ran to the open and threw the ball. This is Eli Manning to Tyree 2007 Super Bowl type stuff.
  • BSDShoes wrote: »
    I thought to myself the other day that QB's are hard to stop when they want to run or scramble. as QB I had 3 rushers coming at me, I ran to make room for a pass, but one got to me and my QB did a spin move and ducked under the second rusher and ran to the open and threw the ball. This is Eli Manning to Tyree 2007 Super Bowl type stuff.

So you're saying it could happen? LOL
  • ericedub
    97 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Just played a game where someone used Kyler Murray and ran for almost 200 yards. I blitzed Kyler up the middle and used outside contains. My outside guys had 91 speed 90 acceleration and the other 88 with 91 acceleration. The pursuit is so bad in this game Kyler would still out run them to the corner for long gains. The pursuit angles in this game are the worst I have ever seen. Or Kyler would juke and fake out 3 defenders on the play and be gone for long gains.
  • The quarterback runs have me looking silly when I use hit stick. I've had a time when I failed on the hit stick 3 times in 1 run.