EA Forums - Banner

Madden NFL 20 - Gridiron Notes: November Title update

Check out the Gridiron notes on our title update and share your feedback here

Glad to see Madden reverted ball arc to everything being underthrown and on an 8 foot arc.

Prev1
DBs are back to being able to intercepting passes when they've been beaten clean by five yards. This will be the last Madden I ever buy. Every time this company "fixes" the game, they reverted it back to this trash lurking crutch.

Even better is when you make the right read, the user whiffs on the sway or ball hawk and they stiff knock it loose (whether it's a suction cup break up, which now includes mid-air break-ups off RAC catches) or the good ole auto-drop where the defender three feet away hit swat at air, therefore their Jedi abilities kick in and your receiver drops it. How about the twirling possession catch off a curl, where the WR tries falling down in slow motion m, so a defender three yards off can come in a second later and knock the ball out.

Replies

• The DB"s are over powered the passing Windows do not exist at all they need to take a look at catch radius and passing windows cause it's no way the defensive should be better at catching than WR/TE
  • WRs won't even go up for a ball down the field clicking Y, while the DB is able to go up everytime.
  • This is my last Madden tired of EA lies. When the game dropped I actually liked how it played. Now the game is trash once again!
  • Rippers2222
    39 posts Member
    edited October 17
    I have noticed this over the last couple of days, its especially awesome when the d has an all out blitz, I audible to a couple of blitz beating streaks and the blitzing lb can rush forward and then make up about 15 yards and get a pick with their back to the ball--and not on a bullet pass. The money spenders win again. Thanks, EA.
  • I have noticed this over the last couple of days, its especially awesome when the d has an all out blitz, I audible to a couple of blitz beating streaks and the blitzing lb can rush forward and then make up about 15 yards and get a pick with their back to the ball--and not on a bullet pass. The money spenders win again. Thanks, EA.

I made an entire post dedicated to this issue lol it’s bad.
  • MaddenUniversity
    360 posts Member
    edited October 17
    What I gathered from the making of the SPD video is that a DB with 10 points less speed will still be in position to defend a ball thrown either late or with a low trajectory. To complete a deep pass to a receiver with a step on a defender, you have to anticipate the defender getting beat around the 20 yard mark for a streak route and lob the pass to minimize the area the defender can make a play...

If the receiver has to slow down or comeback to the ball, it relinquishes any advantage a faster receiver might have had. That includes LB's lurking after faking a blitz...

It takes anticipating the separation, the right arc on the throw (lobs are best), the right timing for the throw, and a receiver catching the ball in stride to work. I can't speak for you guys, but when I watch my game film one of these things is missing anytime I or my opponent throws a pick or a pass is deflected during a "Should have had him" moment. I can't blame EA for any of those failures (although I want to).

Later
  • What I gathered from the making of the SPD video is that a DB with 10 points less speed will still be in position to defend a ball thrown either late or with a low trajectory. To complete a deep pass to a receiver with a step on a defender, you have to anticipate the defender getting beat around the 20 yard mark for a streak route and lob the pass to minimize the area the defender can make a play...

If the receiver has to slow down or comeback to the ball, it relinquishes any advantage a faster receiver might have had. That includes LB's lurking after faking a blitz...

It takes anticipating the separation, the right arc on the throw (lobs are best), the right timing for the throw, and a receiver catching the ball in stride to work. I can't speak for you guys, but when I watch my game film one of these things is missing anytime I or my opponent throws a pick or a pass is deflected during a "Should have had him" moment. I can't blame EA for any of those failures (although I want to).

Later

The problem with that is those shouldn't be anticipatory throws if the DB is beat, but bc reaction time on ai was over-buffed, everything has turned back into bullets and lobs.
  • The problem with that is those shouldn't be anticipatory throws if the DB is beat, but bc reaction time on ai was over-buffed, everything has turned back into bullets and lobs.

I'm talking in the mode of "if he's even, he's leavin'." With the way SPD ratings work, if you wait til the WR has separation, it's too late. He's probably going to outrun the throw OR the pass will be thrown so low the DB will have a play...

But if you know your matchups, you can throw the ball anticipating the separation once your WR gets even because once he's even, the DB is already beat.

That said, I have had that twitch muscle reaction where I press the button with that "GOT HIM" excitement that usually ends with the ball coming out too low. I can't blame EA for that either.

Later
  • Majority of time if WR and DBs are even then wr ain't leaving no matter the speed advantage. Most of time a slow cb will outrun a 94 speed reciever to the ball.
  • MaddenUniversity
    360 posts Member
    edited October 18
    JPGoinHam wrote: »
    Majority of time if WR and DBs are even then wr ain't leaving no matter the speed advantage. Most of time a slow cb will outrun a 94 speed reciever to the ball.

Not if you throw it on time, which has been my point all along. People are waiting to SEE the separation before they make the throw, but by that time the receiver has already outrun the QB's arm. Short throws let slow defenders back into the play...

Ultimately, an 84 SPD corner isn't all that slow, as the 10 point speed differential doesn't buy much separation at all. Certainly not enough for the average Madden player to spot to get the throw off in time...

So... I just watched a video of a game I posted where an opponent was defending me near the middle of the field with a Goal Line formation (it was 3rd and 1 against me 1HB, 3TE, 1WR). He base aligned his defense and left my WR uncovered. I called an audible and torched him for a score, BUT only because I saw it early and lobbed the ball so the pass got to my receiver before he outran my arm. Had I thrown it with a bullet, the LB assigned to my WR (but also playing 7-10 yards inside him) might have been able to make a play on a low ball... Emphasis on MIGHT. I don't think he would have had a chance at it, but it's Madden. LOL

Later

• Afrom3ister
    44 posts Member
    edited October 19
    JPGoinHam wrote: »
    Majority of time if WR and DBs are even then wr ain't leaving no matter the speed advantage. Most of time a slow cb will outrun a 94 speed reciever to the ball.

It has more to do with routes being run at slow pace. The reason for that is two-fold, it gives the offense more time to scan the field, but the drawback is that it's so slow that defenses can read it too easy as well.

I've said it before, but Madden needs to overhaul the entire passing game because there are simply too many crutches given to lurking with little to no risk. There needs to be a system put in place for more accurate player motion on defense and more risks for ball hawks, swats and hit sticks. To help reduce the emphasis on physical traits, they need to add more technical elements to the game with big one being that DBs have to turn their heads to see the ball before they attempt a play on the ball. That should be determined by their awareness AND coverage ratings.
  • tosstamer1
    138 posts Member
    edited October 19
    If 89 speed can cover 40 yards in 4.25 seconds that’s the issue. Players that are 89 speed ran like 4.5 at the combine. They should be able to cover 40 yards in 4.5 seconds at the fastest. DK (rookie WR on Seahawks) ran 4.33 and has 95 speed.

This was an awesome experiment because it shows Defenders (players period) are able to cover WAY too much distance compared to their speed. Reasons why defenders close so fast and that user defenders can cover so much ground.

ie: being at the LOS and recovering while trailing a WR running a seam by 5-10 yards.
    Post edited by tosstamer1 on
  • tosstamer1 wrote: »
    If 89 speed can cover 40 yards in 4.25 seconds that’s the issue. Players that are 89 speed ran like 4.5 at the combine. They should be able to cover 40 yards in 4.5 seconds at the fastest. DK (rookie WR on Seahawks) ran 4.33 and has 95 speed.

This was an awesome experiment because it shows Defenders (players period) are able to cover WAY too much distance compared to their speed. Reasons why defenders close so fast and that user defenders can cover so much ground.

ie: being at the LOS and recovering while trailing a WR running a seam by 5-10 yards.

Also user defenders can use turbo but the offense route reciever which is CPU doesn't use turbo.
  • JPGoinHam wrote: »
    tosstamer1 wrote: »

Also user defenders can use turbo but the offense route reciever which is CPU doesn't use turbo.

Exactly. Super unbalanced. I wonder do the developers know about this or not?
  • MaddenUniversity
    360 posts Member
    edited October 20
    WAIT!!!

There are some things I need to clear up about the video, the findings, and their misinterpretations.

All tests were performed with 99 ACC ratings. Meaning every player reached his to speed almost instantly off the line of scrimmage. A 79 might have been a 4.55 forty time in the video, but that does not mean that your 79 SPD linebacker is going to run that fast. I can almost guarantee that HE WILL NOT. Tyreek Hill is the only player on Madden NFL 20 with a 99 SPD and 99 ACC and no one on Madden 20 has the combination of a 99 SPD, 99 ACC, 99 AGI, and 99 RLS at a 7'0" height (which matters, but wasn't included in the video).

The speeds in the experiment are the fastest possible 99 SPD versus the fastest possible 89 and 79 SPD players. The 40 times CANNOT he extrapolated to any players you're using because they video did not explore the relationship between SPD and ACC and height at all.

Just food for thought... The fastest 40 time I recorded for a 5'5" player with 99 for SPD, ACC, AGI, and RLS was a 4.05 (243 frames).

If another video is necessary, I have no problem making one. But PLEASE STOP misinterpreting my work.

Thanks.

Later
  • Well we know Tyreek Hill is 99 speed and acc but John Ross has ran the fastest laser timed 40 of all time with 4.22. Since 4.22 is the fastest of all time, no player on madden should be able to cover 40 yards in less than 4.22 seconds. But 99 speed 99 acc can cover 40 yards in 3.9 - 4.05 seconds.

Do you agree with that?
    Do you agree with that?

No completely...

I can agree that a player that is 7'0" tall with a 99 for SPD, ACC, AGI, and RLS runs the 40 in between 234 and 238 frames which is between 3.9 and 3.96 seconds.

Outside of those numbers, I can't say who runs what. The only variables I changed were SPD and height, although I didn't include the height info in this video. I can't even establish whether the AGI or RLS ratings are a factor in running the 40; not without further experiments anyway.

Later
  • So therefore, you’re saying that in an NFL football simulation game, when the fastest real life 40 time in shorts and shirt was a 4.22; in game with gear, players are capable of covering 40 yards in 3.9-4.05 seconds is legit?

Not to mention 89 speed with 99 acc covers 40 yards in 4.25. When we know if a player run a 4.2 anything at the combine his speed and acc is usually high 90s.

The numbers aren’t adding up to me, but I guess it all depends on how important acc is.
    So therefore, you’re saying that in an NFL football simulation game, when the fastest real life 40 time in shorts and shirt was a 4.22; in game with gear, players are capable of covering 40 yards in 3.9-4.05 seconds is legit?

I merely set the ratings in 4 categories to 99 and recorded the 40 times, then compared those times with 10 and 20 point reductions for one rating and reported the findings. I made no judgement about whether those times correlate to anything in real life.

What isn't included in the video is the difference in 40 times between a 7 foot player and one that is 5'5", but a shorter player is slower - but that finding requires more research to determine if the variance was actually a problem with the experiment or not. Stay tuned...
    tosstamer1 wrote: »
    Not to mention 89 speed with 99 acc covers 40 yards in 4.25. When we know if a player run a 4.2 anything at the combine his speed and acc is usually high 90s.

The numbers aren’t adding up to me, but I guess it all depends on how important acc is.

That's the rub... ACC is all important when it comes to the 40. The SPD rating measures TOP SPEED. But the ACC rating measures how fast a player can reach top speed. Having a 99 top speed won't matter much if it takes all day to reach the top gear.

Coaches and scouts might say, yeah he's fast but it won't matter if he has to run 20 yards before you see it. That type of player would literally ONLY be able to run straight line routes because every cut would slow him down and he'd have to speed up again...

If we think auto racing, take the 0-60 time... Would you rather race a car with a top speed of 60 that can get up to 60 instantly, or a car with a top speed of 200 that takes a minute to get to 60 (I know my example is ludicrous...lol). That slow car would blow the doors off in every short race... Likewise, the 40 is a short race.

We Madden fans usually deal with conjecture and anecdotal evidence when we talk about what should be in and out of the game. That leads to misunderstandings. So let's take a different tack. Let's talk about FACTS that effect all of us equally, without deference to individual skill level. I'm not sure exactly how the ACC rating factors into 40 times by the numbers. Right now all I can PROVE is the fastest possible 40 time in Madden NFL 20 is 3.9 seconds.

What I can take away from the facts is - our ideas of how game changing the SPD rating is should change. SPD points don't create the mismatches we thought, which is why we've wondered why an 87 SPD player can keep up with a 97 SPD player. We don't have to wonder that anymore. Now we should be thinking about how the ACC plays into those footraces, where all things being equal (because they were), the SPD differential is 10 points.

That's a different video.

Later

• Facts:

Zeke Combine 40 yard dash : 4.47 sec
    Montez Sweat 40 yard dash: 4.41sec

Zeke 20 shuttle: 4.15
    Sweat 20 shuttle: 4.29

Important Madden stats:

Zeke:
    Speed - 90
    Acceleration - 91
    Agility - 95
    DEEP ROUTE RUNNING - 55

Montez Sweat:
    Speed - 91
    Acceleration - 93
    Agility - 81
    MAN COVERAGE - 21
    PRESS - 19

My Opinion:

Speed is pretty much equal but based on coverage stats and route running, Zeke should of pulled away from Sweat off line of scrimmage and burnt him.

Throw timing is perfect
    Stepped up to lead more downfield and avoid pressure to right but couldn't lead ball more to bottom of numbers because Dak doesn't have all the abilities to lead ball like Tom Brady and Drew Brees in Madden but can in real life smh

Cover 1 man and I can't throw ball away from safety unless QB got abilities . Play should of been easy 50 yard throw and touchdown.

When does coverage ratings matter?

A ROLB in 3-4 basically a DE keeping up with RB 40 yards down field is unrealisitic.. if it does happen it's rare and that player is most likely a hall of famer or will be going to hall of fame.