EA Forums - Banner

THIS GAME IS REALLY BAD... SORRY

Prev1
koolkev258
82 posts Member
edited October 2019
This is just a bad game. There are too many things to list off how bad this game is football-wise. But the thing that makes it worse is that it's just a bad video game. Like how many people actually have fun while playing this game because I GUARANTEE its less than half. How many people would never touch this game again if any other NFL football game came out... I GUARANTEE more the half of the population. We are like 4 months into the game being out and I already hate it. I don't enjoy playing it. Every time I do I cant play more than one game because it just ends up frustrating the crap out of me. The sad part is I don't actually believe EA will ever fix... I don't think they actually care. SMH

Replies

  • Careful what you guarantee. Madden has been the best selling sports game in America dating back years before the exclusive NFL license. Sales usually sit somewhere between 3.5 to 5 million copies annually. Implying that more than a million people don't have fun playing a game, but still buy it, is a stretch - even in a world where some people wish for another football game (ahem... 2K).

    I can't speak for everyone, but some of us don't play for fun; although we might have fun playing. Personally, I play for competition and no other game in the history of gaming has the same level of competitive tension Madden provides. It's always been that way for me. I want to beat my friends. I want to beat my enemies. As a function of my taste for competition, I buy Madden every year without fail. If not for my craving the competitive aspect of Madden, I'd be one of the guys that buys Madden once every 3-5 years, if I owned a gaming system at all...

    All that said, I don't want to assume anything about why you play, but I must lean heavily on the direction that the competitive aspect appeals to you less than it does me. I wish you enjoyed the game more, because I would love to play against you - and win of course. :D

    Later
  • But you do play it for fun... it's just that you think the competitive aspect of the game is fun and that's just your opinion. Personally I also enjoy competitive games but I don't like it when I feel cheated. I hate the feeling that something that happened just shouldn't have happened and that occurs very consistently in this game. I don't find cheese plays and spamming the same thing over and over again fun. Or have some random dice roll animation cause me to give up a touchdown despite me doing the right thing. And I also wouldn't say Madden is the most competitive game in history. I think that's a stretch. Games like COD, League CSGO, Halo, and even rainbow are or have been way more competitive than Madden. I mean even Fortnite at this point. and the game usually feels dead 6 moths after release every year and then people talk about what the need to do for the next madden. TBH ill probably buy the game every year too but only because I love football that much it just sucks that a game made in 2005 is somehow more complete than a game made almost 15 years later.
  • Well Madden is the only game in town so I love nfl and yea overall the gameplay is crap and too many other things wrong but hey what can u do
  • tattoo100 wrote: »
    Well Madden is the only game in town so I love nfl and yea overall the gameplay is crap and too many other things wrong but hey what can u do

    Online play was a blessing and a curse... It expanded the competition and the scrutiny.

    We agree that the gameplay isn't as good as it could be. The debate is WHY. The gameplay was better before they made the game more vanilla to appeal to the fairweather fans... The man coverages were more accurately modeled, there were stock double team plays on defense, there were more formations, there were more diverse plays, etc...

    Some of us argue that Madden has been the only game in town since knocking Super Tecmo Bowl off the pedestal. GameDay and 2K were good, but the drive to play these games never came close to that of Madden.
    koolkev258 wrote: »
    But you do play it for fun... it's just that you think the competitive aspect of the game is fun and that's just your opinion. Personally I also enjoy competitive games but I don't like it when I feel cheated. I hate the feeling that something that happened just shouldn't have happened and that occurs very consistently in this game. I don't find cheese plays and spamming the same thing over and over again fun. Or have some random dice roll animation cause me to give up a touchdown despite me doing the right thing. And I also wouldn't say Madden is the most competitive game in history. I think that's a stretch. Games like COD, League CSGO, Halo, and even rainbow are or have been way more competitive than Madden. I mean even Fortnite at this point. and the game usually feels dead 6 moths after release every year and then people talk about what the need to do for the next madden. TBH ill probably buy the game every year too but only because I love football that much it just sucks that a game made in 2005 is somehow more complete than a game made almost 15 years later.

    koolkev258,

    Pardon if this seems aimed at you personally. It isn't. But 17 years of playing Madden online, overcoming my own strategic weaknesses, and trying to help people that refuse to do more than the absolute minimum have a way of bringing out the old man in me. LOL

    We agree that being cheated sucks. Feeling cheated, is far different. In a game like Madden, that feeling is completely subjective. What makes you feel cheated may not make me feel cheated and vice versa. Truth is, a ton of Madden players cheat themselves.

    With regard to COD (I've never played CS or Halo), it is indeed competitive. But the skills required to compete at COD take just a few hours to learn. Madden isn't like that at all. The skills required to be successful at Madden are cumulative and acquired over years, not hours.

    When I see people spamming plays, I don't believe they are cheating (or even trying to cheat). I believe they spam plays because they work against most players - and to them it's the safe way to play. They are playing the percentages. Every year we see the same types of plays spammed, not because the game is flawed, but because the people that play are. Instead of Madden players preparing for the types of plays they know will be spammed, they complain the EA hasn't done their job. Fact is, we have a responsibility and too few of us embrace it (Simulate Responsibility).

    Meanwhile, every year there are a handful of spammed blitzes that catch Madden players with their pants down. The know they have trouble with blitzes. They know the blitzes are coming. But they say the game is flawed and wait for EA to do something. Meanwhile, some of us are blocking blitzes fine without EA's assistance. Same thing with scrambling QBs, deep passes, etc. The game changes every year, but the people playing and the complaints remain the same. At some point, we gotta stop looking at EA as the problem - and look at the people playing the game - so EA can focus on fixing the ACTUAL problems that effect EVERYONE instead of using resources to address the most subjective issues.

    Later
  • bbrewer23goblue
    139 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Lol this game is bad...better than last year but that literally doenst say much
  • Best selling because its the only football game....like saying we are the best selling and most awarded car company in the world because we are the only car company in the world.....hillarious
  • No offense to Madden University but he does always try to validate how broken the game is. If you’re tied in the loop any kind of way make them Show some love to Ranked H2H. Put our scouting tools back. Fix our records
  • The h2h system is fine, and so is the game. Nothing else needs to be mentioned.
    Madden fan since 93.
  • botravis wrote: »
    No offense to Madden University but he does always try to validate how broken the game is. If you’re tied in the loop any kind of way make them Show some love to Ranked H2H. Put our scouting tools back. Fix our records

    You got me all wrong... When the game is broken, I stand by the players. When the players are broken, I stand by the game.

    That said lean toward fixing the players - especially on the subjective stuff - because we have dudes that have been playing for years but are still complaining about the same stuff because their pride tells them EA is to blame for their difficulties. I've seen it for 17 straight years and it literally hasn't changed no matter what EA does.

    That said, I'm with you on the H2H stats and some things; not with others.

    That is all...

    Later
  • The game is broken and it has been for years. The game was actually decent when it first came out. But then the updates now the game is complete trash. I play in a franchise league with a few real NFL Players. And all they do is talk about how bad and unrealistic the game is. From psychic DB's to safeties and linebackers running all over the field. LB running stride for stride with WR, and all these stupid glitchy animations.
  • Afrom3ister
    118 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    botravis wrote: »
    No offense to Madden University but he does always try to validate how broken the game is. If you’re tied in the loop any kind of way make them Show some love to Ranked H2H. Put our scouting tools back. Fix our records

    You got me all wrong... When the game is broken, I stand by the players. When the players are broken, I stand by the game.

    That said lean toward fixing the players - especially on the subjective stuff - because we have dudes that have been playing for years but are still complaining about the same stuff because their pride tells them EA is to blame for their difficulties. I've seen it for 17 straight years and it literally hasn't changed no matter what EA does.

    That said, I'm with you on the H2H stats and some things; not with others.

    That is all...

    Later

    Dude the game is broken. You just did a whole video on how the speeds are WAY off.

    -Inaccurate speeds are the reason why defenders can play out of position and still catch someone 15-20 yards away from them.

    -This game is less about actual football and more about finding formations and routes that have great predetermined animations.

    -Holding RT and running circles is considered great lurking.

    -Physical attributes still trump actual football ability thanks again to predetermined animations.

    -Linebackers and DBs consistently get 1v1 picks regardless of position.

    -Passes are still severely underthrown.

    -Linebackers now can get to the QB in under a second and get way more sacks now because throw speeds are too slow for short passes.

    -Defenses have unlimited stamina, which is a lazy nerf for no-huddle

    - SS abilities introduced and poorly tuned

    I havent even gotten into how ignorant the ratings are for H2H.

    There's so many problems with this franchise.
    Post edited by Afrom3ister on
  • koolkev258 wrote: »
    This is just a bad game. There are too many things to list off how bad this game is football-wise. But the thing that makes it worse is that it's just a bad video game. Like how many people actually have fun while playing this game because I GUARANTEE its less than half. How many people would never touch this game again if any other NFL football game came out... I GUARANTEE more the half of the population. We are like 4 months into the game being out and I already hate it. I don't enjoy playing it. Every time I do I cant play more than one game because it just ends up frustrating the crap out of me. The sad part is I don't actually believe EA will ever fix... I don't think they actually care. SMH

    It depends. On these forums, people spend an awful amount of time complaining about stuff like gloves and socks. If this is a "really bad game" because you cannot create a custom referee then yeah, I guess the game is going to be a "really bad game"

    Even then, what are your expectations? If you're expecting this life changing experience when playing this game then I guess it's going to be a bad game. Is the game perfect? Heck no but even I have had my share of criticisms and cannot agree it is a "really bad game"

    And no... you cannot guarantee that less than half the population have fun with this game. You would have to get statistical data on every single Madden gamer (I assume that when you say 'population' you mean gamers and not the world's population.) Now... if you want to hypothesize that less than half of the gamers in your SAMPLE size 'would never touch this game again...' then that's another another issue. And I think your hypothesis would still be proven wrong, unless you have a biased sample size

    (Yes... I'm being very sarcastic with that previous paragraph)

  • I just wish they would do more for us who can't play online. I'm lucky to get 5mb/s speeds and even that is spotty. Give us back some deeper control in Franchise mode. I know they only get to put in what the NFL allows but there is definitely more EA could do within those confines. Let me design the color scheme of the expansion franchises, let me design the stadium like we used to be able to do, let me design my own plays/play art (I can even do it using set existing route trees/blocking assignments/coverages to keep programming easy...). Please? Lol
  • I have seen some people commenting that they hate the game because there are no refs, equipment isn't identical to what every player wears from week to week irl, etc. I guess it's their right to not like the game for whatever reason they want, but most people criticize the game because of it not being realistic and dumbed down for children:

    - WR blocking edge players well
    - 5'10 DBs skying over 6'4 WR consistently
    - AI players making the same mistake vs a play they've seen 10 times
    - RBs grabbing DTs by the throat, raising them up with one hand, and slamming them down
    - Cover the ball with no loss of speed
    - low 80s speed LBs running stride for stride with high 90s speed WRs
    - User defenders able to cover a 20-30 yards radius immediately.
    - etc


    Bringing up sales to make the point that people are happy with Madden is ridiculous when it's the only AAA football game available. It's a reason they won't make NCAA 14 backwards compatible. A lot of people would just play NCAA 14 with updated rosters every year and not even think about Madden; which would be shooting themselves in the foot.


  • tosstamer1 wrote: »

    It's a reason they won't make NCAA 14 backwards compatible. A lot of people would just play NCAA 14 with updated rosters every year and not even think about Madden; which would be shooting themselves in the foot.

    I'm pretty sure the whole licensing thing plays a role in it.
  • kennylc76 wrote: »
    tosstamer1 wrote: »

    It's a reason they won't make NCAA 14 backwards compatible. A lot of people would just play NCAA 14 with updated rosters every year and not even think about Madden; which would be shooting themselves in the foot.

    I'm pretty sure the whole licensing thing plays a role in it.

    I was going to address that in my post, but the game is still sold in stores, so idk if the licensing is a real issue.
  • tosstamer1 wrote: »
    kennylc76 wrote: »
    tosstamer1 wrote: »

    It's a reason they won't make NCAA 14 backwards compatible. A lot of people would just play NCAA 14 with updated rosters every year and not even think about Madden; which would be shooting themselves in the foot.

    I'm pretty sure the whole licensing thing plays a role in it.

    I was going to address that in my post, but the game is still sold in stores, so idk if the licensing is a real issue.

    Any NCAA game getting sold in a store now is not generating revenue for EA. Those copies were purchased for distribution years ago. Anything sold goes straight to the store and a six year old game is DEFINITELY not generating any profit at this point, given most are prolly going for $5-$10.

    The only reason why the sales argument is lame is bc Madden is THE only American football title and has more cache in pop culture than it does for competent gameplay.

    The problem most sports titles have right now is that they do not know how to properly tune game and ratings, nor do they address the biggest legacy issues. Plus, the introduction of RPG abilities has skewed those variables even more.

    NBA 2K20 now has 72 badge abilities in the game. The thinking was to require certain badges in order to exploit those legacy problems. I didn't get the game this year bc a) I hate MyPlayer, b) Off-ball defense is still king on multiplayer and c) I'm tired having to defend the left-right ****.

    Madden is next on the chopping block because they are taking some other things 2K is trying, only they're going overboard with all of these abilites, whichbare essentially cheat codes.

    None of this stuff will ever truly be fixed and quality gameplay depth will continue to diminish because most of the resources go towards generating more microtransactions.
  • Like tosstamer said, there are a lot of REAL issues with the game, some of which can be easily overlooked. Others, not so much.

    But we'll never get the real issues fixed when EA chases their tail dealing with sock heights and coddling people that refuse to block a the simplest of blitzes.

    Later
  • I actually love the gameplay, this is by far the most fun madden I have played in literally about 10 years or so... With that said, I wish they would expand franchise mode and actually have historical stats, if you can't get someone's name because of money issues or something or because the NFL hates a said person, just leave the name blank and still have the historical record. If you can't go back and put in historical stats and records than at least make it so we can see the MVP winners and the stats going back as far as when we started our franchises, I want to know who won what award what year, I want to know who threw over 4000 yards each season, I want to look at statistics because that is the driving factor in everything that is the National Football League. I want to be in year 20 of my franchise and look back and reminisce about when I drafted that amazing receiver who got 1000+ yards 8 seasons in a row, that stuff makes me feel good, that is the franchise I want to play. I know you can go look at individual stats and career stats but that isn't what I want, not only that but once a player retires you can never see the stats again unless they broke the top 10 all-time and that is stupid! I have no way of seeing who won all the MVP awards if I simulate 10 years in the future! There is absolutely no point in having the option to simulate 10 years if you are unable to look at all the stats and award winners in a certain menu. I want a screen where I can see all the stats. I want to be able to see the top 20 receivers stats in my league from 7 years prior. I want to be able to pinpoint the downfall of any given player in my franchise's career. These are all easy changes that would make Franchise mode 100x more fun.
  • I actually only play CFM mode and this year is actually the worse from a competitive stand point... thw run game is so OP and whoever has Lamar Jackson in every league I'm in is a top player... one sim mode the game needs to be more defensive heavy... on competitive mode I can see making the offense easy and leaving all adjustments to the USER. They needs to be a huge difference between these 2 games modes
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!