EA Forums - Banner

Madden NFL 20 - Gridiron Notes: March Title update

Check out the Gridiron notes on our title update and share your feedback here

The running game (after nerf)

The unrealistic world of Madden 20. This is one of my franchises and these are stats through 13-14 games. Look how many players are over 2,000 yards and 1,500 yards for the season. And the run game was nerfed which makes this so bad.

Replies

• Both my leagues the same cuhh. It’s so flaw because the meta is 3-4 show blitz or just stacking the box in general, and everyone knows to just run in those situations because if you can follow blocks and swerve, you’ll break 70-80 yard run like 90% of the time. Stacking the box should be more successful stopping the run and really bad vs the pass but it’s the opposite.
  • Afrom3ister
    118 posts Member
    edited January 3
    tosstamer1 wrote: »
    Both my leagues the same cuhh. It’s so flaw because the meta is 3-4 show blitz or just stacking the box in general, and everyone knows to just run in those situations because if you can follow blocks and swerve, you’ll break 70-80 yard run like 90% of the time. Stacking the box should be more successful stopping the run and really bad vs the pass but it’s the opposite.

In my League, I lead the league in passing through 14 games with 4400 yards passing, 46 TDs (1st) and 19 INTs (the lowest INT number amongst starters).

There are 9 RBs with 1500 yards already, my RB already has 19 TDs.

My leading WR is second in yards with 1900, but already has 27 TDs.

Six defensive players have already recorded 20 plus sacks.

We had a down season this time around with interceptions. Only two guys have double digit picks so far, partially because the user who had 21 picks with Myles Jack last season quit the league.

The problem with Madden is that it's a game of extremes.

The run blocking is OP, yet when you do lose yards it's because a lead blocker lines up on one player, but then goes elsewhere as soon as you try to follow or set up the block.

You either blitz or send a basic three-man rush to get any sort of pressure. SS abilities create instant pressure, but everyone else gets stonewalled for days.

DBs are phsyic on breaking on the ball and Mossing WRs, but there's not a coverage in the game that can cover a flag without a ton of a adjustments and running into the WR at the break.
  • EA_Blueberry
    1415 posts EA Community Manager
    tosstamer1 wrote: »
    Both my leagues the same cuhh. It’s so flaw because the meta is 3-4 show blitz or just stacking the box in general, and everyone knows to just run in those situations because if you can follow blocks and swerve, you’ll break 70-80 yard run like 90% of the time. Stacking the box should be more successful stopping the run and really bad vs the pass but it’s the opposite.

In my League, I lead the league in passing through 14 games with 4400 yards passing, 46 TDs (1st) and 19 INTs (the lowest INT number amongst starters).

We had a down season this time around with interceptions. Only two guys have double digit picks so far, partially because the user who had 21 picks with Myles Jack last season quit the league.

The run blocking is OP, yet when you do lose yards it's because a lead blocker lines up on one player, but then goes elsewhere as soon as you try to follow or set up the block.

You either blitz or send a basic three-man rush to get any sort of pressure. SS abilities create instant pressure, but everyone else gets stonewalled for days.

DBs are phsyic on breaking on the ball and Mossing WRs, but there's not a coverage in the game that can cover a flag without a ton of a adjustments and running into the WR at the break.

Does your league use custom sliders to make the defense stronger? That's always something worth experimenting with.
  • Shouldn’t have to if Madden is an NFL simulator.
  • EA_Blueberry
    It's entirely possible we see these numbers for players in the years to come with the way offensive penalties are changed and players like Lamar Jackson emerge into the league.

Adjusting the sliders is something that many hardcore leagues will do and something I personally recommend to show you how much differently the game can play.

I love increasing WR Catching so those passes made under tight coverage are always caught, but I increase the Pass defense reaction time and pass coverage to help balance the passing offense. I also increase the pass blocking, but reduce run blocking so NFL rushers aren't as high as what was shown above in this post. Lowering interceptions is always a plus too.

The sliders are there to help customize the league to your liking, such as reduced stats. This option has been in the Madden franchise for a while now. I quickly went on and simulated 2 seasons with some adjustments I mentioned above and the highest rusher as Zeke with 1600 yards with about the same amount of 1000 yard rushers as what happened in real life. Most touchdowns for RB and WR were 16.

@Afrom3ister

Does your league's sliders favor offenses?

• It's entirely possible we see these numbers for players in the years to come with the way offensive penalties are changed and players like Lamar Jackson emerge into the league.

Adjusting the sliders is something that many hardcore leagues will do and something I personally recommend to show you how much differently the game can play.

I love increasing WR Catching so those passes made under tight coverage are always caught, but I increase the Pass defense reaction time and pass coverage to help balance the passing offense. I also increase the pass blocking, but reduce run blocking so NFL rushers aren't as high as what was shown above in this post. Lowering interceptions is always a plus too.

The sliders are there to help customize the league to your liking, such as reduced stats. This option has been in the Madden franchise for a while now. I quickly went on and simulated 2 seasons with some adjustments I mentioned above and the highest rusher as Zeke with 1600 yards with about the same amount of 1000 yard rushers as what happened in real life. Most touchdowns for RB and WR were 16.

@Afrom3ister

Does your league's sliders favor offenses?

In the NFL this year the rushing leader was Derek Henry. He was also the only RB to go over 1,500 yards. He had 1,540 16 tds, 5.1 per carry.
  • ericedub
    97 posts Member
    edited January 4
    @EA_Blueberry So u think the NFL is headed this way with rushing numbers like I showed you smh. So in the history of the NFL there have been (7) 2,000 yard rushers OJ Simpson, Eric D, Barry Sanders, Terrell Davis, Jamal Lewis, Chris Johnson, and Adrian Peterson. The most being Eric D with 2,105 in 1984 and the most averaged with OJ Simpson with 2,003 in 1973 but he did that in only 14 games. But u think its acceptable that in my franchise there is 7-8 already over 2,000 in the same season in 15 games? With 3-4 more runners going over 2,000 next game. With one maybe 2 might be able to pass 3,000 yards. And this is after the running nerf EA did. It was even worse before why do u think we continue to bring this to your attention. No more excuses about sliders its the game play! Defenders still don't attack the ball and the pursuit is still terrible. RB's still fake out 3 defenders at the same time understood if its Barry Sanders but nobody is Barry! Here are the RB stats through 15 games. Look at the pics and pay special attention to yards, yards per carry, fumbles, touchdowns!
    Post edited by ericedub on
  • If you play 15 minute quarters in a video game how are you not going to produce video game numbers?
  • If you play 15 minute quarters in a video game how are you not going to produce video game numbers?
    15 minute quarters what are u talking about never even heard of that before.

• tosstamer1 wrote: »

Does your league use custom sliders to make the defense stronger? That's always something worth experimenting with.

Why would we do that when everything is mostly TDs and TOs? The point is to have a happy medium that resembles the game on the field. We play sim too, which not only nerfs arm bar, but makes it almost a guarantee you fall backwards, which is fine since it's so easy to run anyways.

These stats are also with fair play rules in place in regards having to use a wide variety of plays on offense and defense, Madden 05 punt rules (can't go for it unless, it's late, you're down big or its 4th and 2 across the 50), no motion snaps, no scum kicks, no custom playbooks.

It's not our job to properly tune the game. Even with the sliders in place, there are countless legacy issues that prevent an experience similar to real life.

It's entirely possible we see these numbers for players in the years to come with the way offensive penalties are changed and players like Lamar Jackson emerge into the league.

No one has ever rushed for 300 yards, but you think it's now possible in a league that heavily favors passing, that a QB like Lamar could go for over 400 yards in a game???

It will never happen because it's simply too hard to get enough posessions and big runs to accomplish that feat. Defenses will start keying in on that player, who's body will break down from fatigue and multiple hits.

What we're seeing in madden are abilities that have been OP since launch and have never been tuned, even though every streamer and pro acknowledges how ridiculous the abilities are.
  • I think the superstar abilities was a Terrific idea. The problem is you have to Dumb down the other players even more.
  • Abilities were added because they could never replicate the attributes correctly (and possibly coin flip animations as well). In previous titles, 90+ man cov and press got beat consistently vs 70 route running WRs, only fast RBs were special, great edge rushers wouldn’t even impact the game, etc. So they added all these abilities to make players feel diff, but it’s super OP.

I don’t understand why they couldn’t just make players feel diff with the attributes. A player with 95 man cov shouldn’t need a man cov ability to be good. I’m my league, packers dude before the latest update has the CB Alexander 92 ovr, 95 man, 95 zone and gets toasted because he hasn’t got a scenario to get abilities yet lol
  • EA_Blueberry
    Great discussion and thank you all for the feedback on statistics which you feel don't accurately represent real life statistics. We'll keep this noted for the team to be aware of for future updates and titles.

@ericedub

I've been in some leagues with 15 minute quarters, that's what @The-Sporty-Hero was referring to. It's an option when you select quarter lengths for a league.

@Afrom3ister

Adjusting the sliders is not a way for me to pass the buck onto players, I was offering an alternative solution to statistics being off to what you all feel is unrealistic. I'm not able to confirm this is anything the team intends to change at the moment, but feedback like this is always welcomed for discussion.