EA Forums - Banner

Madden NFL 20 - Gridiron Notes: April Title update

Check out the Gridiron notes on our title update and share your feedback here

Kyle Rudolph End Zone Fade mismatch to win the wildcard matchup vs saints

Prev1
Kyle Rudolph is 6’6, 265 and you can tell he is because he had a clear size mismatch over 6 foot PJ Williams. PJ Williams never had a chance in a 50/50 ball vs someone 6 inches taller and about 65 lbs more. I wonder will size ever matter in the football simulator again.

Replies

• If that was Madden 20 Kyle Rudolph would have either dropped the ball or PJ Williams would have out jumped him and intercepted the pass smh!
  • Yeps. Both would be animations that have nothing to do with attributes, size, nor user skill.
  • Can’t even though fades like that in Madden only jump balls.
  • I asked for end zone fades to come back for the passed 3 years.
  • It’s sad that we’re asking for things that were once in the game but taken out for some reason. It’s also sad we’re asking for things to be in the game that are a huge part of the sport that hasn’t made the game and we’re in 2020.
  • i4584vpqk0xa.jpg
  • If endzone fades were implemented better, there would be several things that would need to be fixed or added.

1] Ball trajectory. This remains a huge problem in Madden and is part of the reason why lurking and and base align pressing is so OP.

Cousins throws a great pass here. It's a touch throw thrown high to where either Rudolph catches it or the ball falls incomplete.

If you go back to his pass to Theilen to get them down to the 2, the ball arc is so high, that Robinson, who's beat by ~2 yards has zero chance to jump and disrupt or intercept the ball. He can only dive for a tackle and hope to disrupt Theilen for a drop.

2) The fade route would need to be revamp. Currently, the WR just goes outside and runs like it's a go. Fade route in real life are release outside and square your shoulders up towards the QB to attack the ball.

3) Size, height, jump, release and spec catch all need to be factored in this equation for the receiver, while man/zone cvg, press, awareness, size, height and julp should be factored in as well.

Release vs press difference who affect the likelihood of getting big win (massive separation out of release), a win (some sepearation), a stalemate (no separation), a loss (no separation, timing disruption at LOS) and a big loss (stuck at the line/DB gains leverage to make a potential pick).

Coverage rating and awareness vs spec would determine how well the DB could cover the route after press and how often they get their head around to make a play on ball versus how well the WR plays the ball.

Size, height and jump would help determine the chances for a TD, incomplete or maybe interception.

4) QB accuracy needs to be less reliable, unless the QB has elite accuracy or a high clutch rating.

Fade routes often don't work in the NFL in part because ball placement is huge. A ball underthrown increases the likelihood of breakups and picks, while a ball slightly too high can force a receiver out of bounds even prevent them from making a play.

The tighter the window more unlikely the play's success is.

5) There also needs to be a late separation trait. For WRs like Hopkins, this is what makes them so hard to defend. They can get just enough separation with their hands and ball tracking to gain leverage and position to make the catch. I'd like to see a trait that affects how often WR gains it. The penalty trait would also come into play here too and would determine how much of the risk is to draw OPI.
  • EA_Blueberry
    1473 posts EA Community Manager
    @Afrom3ister

Those are great points!

A concern I have is when someone is at the goal line on 1st down and will throw 3 jump balls in a row in the first two were not successful. I'd hate to see jump balls become guaranteed touchdowns if the receiver has the height advantage on them. Enabling traits like for Hopkins does make a lot of sense, but what determines if they will be successful? Having pre-determined outcomes is something people are not fond of, so implementing the skill in those jump balls is where justification is needed (imo).

I'd be pretty cool if a jump ball went into an action sequence where random buttons came up on the screen and whoever pressed the most correct amount wins the jump ball. All in a slow motion style cinematic scene. It might get old after a while if that was required for every pass though.
  • MeetAToss
    2 posts New member
    > @EA_Blueberry said:
    > @Afrom3ister

> I'd be pretty cool if a jump ball went into an action sequence where random buttons came up on the screen and whoever pressed the most correct amount wins the jump ball. All in a slow motion style cinematic scene. It might get old after a while if that was required for every pass though.

What year did you start playing madden or NCAA football to suggest making a 50/50 ball determine by a button mash contest @EA_Blueberry ? Until Madden 16, going for a 50/50 ball was all about user positioning and jump timing for the WR and DB. User positioning means (cutting your opponent off from the ball and getting inside leverage). The taller player with higher jumping would have the advantage, but the better you positioned yourself, the better chance you had of winning it even with a smaller player. Sometimes if the size difference was too much, then it was a very low chance you could make a play. But matching up is part of the game.

Here's an example of the position that you tried to maintain to catch a jumpball on NCAA 13. Notice the WR moves inside to get position to cut off the other players from the ball and it isn't a WR and DB scripted animation. The defense for it was to click onto the CB or Safety and try to cut off the WR from the inside and also strafing to get position to go up for a pick or a defelction...

[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu-8ZoJwNww[/spoiler]
  • @Afrom3ister

Those are great points!

A concern I have is when someone is at the goal line on 1st down and will throw 3 jump balls in a row in the first two were not successful. I'd hate to see jump balls become guaranteed touchdowns if the receiver has the height advantage on them. Enabling traits like for Hopkins does make a lot of sense, but what determines if they will be successful? Having pre-determined outcomes is something people are not fond of, so implementing the skill in those jump balls is where justification is needed (imo).

I'd be pretty cool if a jump ball went into an action sequence where random buttons came up on the screen and whoever pressed the most correct amount wins the jump ball. All in a slow motion style cinematic scene. It might get old after a while if that was required for every pass though.

It's not predetermined. It's match-up based. If you're gonna leave your 4th DB on an island against a great red zone player, chances are they're getting beat.

There's no skill in clicking on and ball hawking. I also don't want to be playing a mini-game that would give an advantage to the host of a server. The true skill is identifying match-ups and coverage and having the QB, who can properly place the ball.

If you're worried about a player running a fade over and over, make play rec matter. If defenders see it enough, they're going to anticipate and be in better positions to guard it. It's pretty simple.
  • @Afrom3ister

Those are great points!

It's not predetermined. It's match-up based. If you're gonna leave your 4th DB on an island against a great red zone player, chances are they're getting beat.

There's no skill in clicking on and ball hawking. I also don't want to be playing a mini-game that would give an advantage to the host of a server. The true skill is identifying match-ups and coverage and having the QB, who can properly place the ball.

If you're worried about a player running a fade over and over, make play rec matter. If defenders see it enough, they're going to anticipate and be in better positions to guard it. It's pretty simple.

Imagine if play recognition was if a player is repeating the same play several times in a game eventually the play art shows up on the screen or if like you said they call the play back to back to back. Even I have a habit of running plays I really like several times and this force users to mix it up.

• tosstamer1 wrote: »
    It’s sad that we’re asking for things that were once in the game but taken out for some reason. It’s also sad we’re asking for things to be in the game that are a huge part of the sport that hasn’t made the game and we’re in 2020.

Agree.. a video just popped up in my YouTube suggestions and it had listed all the features in Madden 07 compared to Madden 20 and it’s odd how through time Madden has lost features rather than gained.. game modes as well. I’m thinking about posting the list on the forum, it’d we be nice to know why this is the case and to get a comment from EA.

• MeetAToss
    2 posts New member
    > @Topgamer87 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Agree.. a video just popped up in my YouTube suggestions and it had listed all the features in Madden 07 compared to Madden 20 and it’s odd how through time Madden has lost features rather than gained.. game modes as well. I’m thinking about posting the list on the forum, it’d we be nice to know why this is the case and to get a comment from EA.

Get a comment from EA lol yea right
  • EA_Blueberry

Would love to see play recognition where a repeated play over and over again has a significant chance of being stopped. We were spitballing that cencept in another post in these forums. Perhaps leave that skill to defensive coordinators to give them more value.

@MeetAToss

I've been playing Madden throughout the decades going back to Sega Genesis. Personally loved it how you could take control of the receiver after throwing it to get into a better position to catch it from the defender. It always annoyed me though when I played online when players would intentionally swerve their receiver in away to throw off the AI defender, making it really hard for the defender to stop a completion. Only way to stop it is if you took control of the defender immediately which wasn't always easy. That was in one of our more recent titles.
  • I would like to see more hand check and speration on certain route ex: goalie fade above Kyle clearly extended his hand to create space to make that play. imagine being able to push off by tap and hold Y/∆ for an aggressive catch that can either result in a OPI playing back to the players strength ratings, jumping and catch in traffic so for the big physical WR/vertical threat TE this would be a great addition to create space and be able to run these plays affect(Eli to OBJ was fades in the endzone) also please look into pass trajectory balls have no flight paths hang in air too long

Data note: goal line fades only work 38% of the time from the 1 reason most teams sneak the QB
  • @EA_Blueberry do you work for EA or just the forum? If so why does Madden 07 have more features, franchise depth, and things such as legendary teams but Madden 20 does not?
  • EA_Blueberry
    0ldPizza wrote: »
    I would like to see more hand check and speration on certain route ex: goalie fade above Kyle clearly extended his hand to create space to make that play. imagine being able to push off by tap and hold Y/∆ for an aggressive catch that can either result in a OPI playing back to the players strength ratings, jumping and catch in traffic so for the big physical WR/vertical threat TE this would be a great addition to create space and be able to run these plays affect(Eli to OBJ was fades in the endzone) also please look into pass trajectory balls have no flight paths hang in air too long

Data note: goal line fades only work 38% of the time from the 1 reason most teams sneak the QB

@0ldPizza

What do you think about a field goal like meter for fade throws where you have to let go of the receiver button once it's within the green area, improving your chances of a successful catch? This could mimic improved ball trajectory, perhaps?
    Topgamer87 wrote: »
    @EA_Blueberry do you work for EA or just the forum? If so why does Madden 07 have more features, franchise depth, and things such as legendary teams but Madden 20 does not?

I'm an EA employee and part of the community team, so in a sense I'm here to work on your behalf by letting the team know what feedback we're receiving here.

I don't know if I'd go to the extent of saying previous Madden titles had more features. I was a big fan of the combine, Superstar, and the radio talk show. Those are some classics I think a lot of Madden veterans loved. I suppose they could be added in future titles, but instead of incorporating the same thing in the past why not improve it? A radio talk show was great for it's time, but with Twitter as the standard these days for getting news out and podcasts becoming increasingly more popular, I can guarantee you the team is fully aware of those fan loved features and always looking for a way to bring new fun experiences to Madden.

Legendary teams would be fun to have. To be honest, I'm not sure why they're not in the game and my speculation is that it could be due to licensing rights where you have to get approval from all those players on those teams. I'll see if I can track down some information on that for you, please remind me if I don't get back to you soon. With how popular Ultimate Team has risen over the years though, there are Legends that can be acquired through that mode to build a Legendary team. I get where you're coming from though, would be fun to play a game with the 89 bears up against the 2007 Patriots.

Every year the team is adding new features to the game and improvements to existing ones. Superstar KO, House Rules, X-Factor & Superstar features, Chemistries and upgrading items in MUT are examples of some of the newest features in recent times. You can't say previous Maddens had more features than today's version when they are updating the game week to week with new content and major updates monthly throughout the season. I think what you're looking for is a larger emphasis on adding more to Franchise mode and that is something we can pass along to the team to review for future plans.
  • 0ldPizza
    136 posts Member
    edited January 9
    @EA_Blueberry: What do you think about a field goal like meter for fade throws where you have to let go of the receiver button once it's within the green area, improving your chances of a successful catch? This could mimic improved ball trajectory, perhaps?

•after awhile people will find ways to exploit the meter but what if I want to check down if the coverage isn't in my favor wouldn't really like that

I normally highpoint(L1/Lb) fades work for me most of the time... ball placement need to be reviewed when throwing fades touch/lob pass should sail to the back of the endzone instead of the route tree path leaving only the WR/TE able to catch leaving the DB only to be able to swat ball(if the wr is smaller the chance of it getting in INT are high) so it is timing and match up based•

• Topgamer87
    80 posts Member
    edited January 9
    Topgamer87 wrote: »
    @EA_Blueberry do you work for EA or just the forum? If so why does Madden 07 have more features, franchise depth, and things such as legendary teams but Madden 20 does not?

I'm an EA employee and part of the community team, so in a sense I'm here to work on your behalf by letting the team know what feedback we're receiving here.

I don't know if I'd go to the extent of saying previous Madden titles had more features. I was a big fan of the combine, Superstar, and the radio talk show. Those are some classics I think a lot of Madden veterans loved. I suppose they could be added in future titles, but instead of incorporating the same thing in the past why not improve it? A radio talk show was great for it's time, but with Twitter as the standard these days for getting news out and podcasts becoming increasingly more popular, I can guarantee you the team is fully aware of those fan loved features and always looking for a way to bring new fun experiences to Madden.

Legendary teams would be fun to have. To be honest, I'm not sure why they're not in the game and my speculation is that it could be due to licensing rights where you have to get approval from all those players on those teams. I'll see if I can track down some information on that for you, please remind me if I don't get back to you soon. With how popular Ultimate Team has risen over the years though, there are Legends that can be acquired through that mode to build a Legendary team. I get where you're coming from though, would be fun to play a game with the 89 bears up against the 2007 Patriots.

Every year the team is adding new features to the game and improvements to existing ones. Superstar KO, House Rules, X-Factor & Superstar features, Chemistries and upgrading items in MUT are examples of some of the newest features in recent times. You can't say previous Maddens had more features than today's version when they are updating the game week to week with new content and major updates monthly throughout the season. I think what you're looking for is a larger emphasis on adding more to Franchise mode and that is something we can pass along to the team to review for future plans.[/quote]

@EA_Blueberry , I just think franchise as a mode isn’t evolving or growing enough from a year to year basis, there’s much more immersion in formal titles. Defense/Offensive Coordinators, Senior Bowl, Restricted FAs... and outside of franchise you could create a stadium, create a team w/ legends, create a fan, create a play.. and as far as creation goes, they haven’t developed create-a player at all in years other in Face of the Franchise which begs the question why couldn’t they incorporate that throughout the game and inside franchise, it would enhance the custom draft classes, as of now Madden just has generic faces with limited hair styles. Also if licensing is an issue for legendary teams, how do they license players for MUT and in older titles players they couldn’t name you could put the name in yourself.