EA Forums - Banner

Defending the Slot

Anyone tell me what D defends the slot the best or what player I should have to cover the slot? I keep getting burned all weekend by the slot

Replies

• EA_Blueberry
    3105 posts EA Community Manager
    @GrizzGolf

This is a great discussion to get some feedback and advice around, thanks for kicking it off.

Some things we should probably mention that are important pieces of information:
    • What mode are you playing, MUT or online H2H with standard teams?
    • Who is your Nickel DB and have you tried swapping your fastest CB to the slot either before the game or during it?
    • Do you take control of the safeties, linebackers, or DTs?
    • What defensive plays are you selecting when you get burned by the slot receiver and what type of route were they running?
  • @GrizzGolf

This is a great discussion to get some feedback and advice around, thanks for kicking it off.

Some things we should probably mention that are important pieces of information:
    • What mode are you playing, MUT or online H2H with standard teams?
    • Who is your Nickel DB and have you tried swapping your fastest CB to the slot either before the game or during it?
    • Do you take control of the safeties, linebackers, or DTs?
    • What defensive plays are you selecting when you get burned by the slot receiver and what type of route were they running?

Hey Blueberry!

1. H2H with Standard Teams (Texans is my H2H and NFL team IRL) Don't know if they have a certain set that would work better.

2. I haven't swapped out a faster CB to the slot.I actually never thought of that honestly. My Madden D is a work in progress.

3. Most of the time DT (Mostly JJ Watt) I want to play more linebacker or safeties but I seem to lag behind when I do. Havent got used to that yet.

4. I mostly just select any cover 3 set when trying to cover the slot. I mostly get burned by slots doing what looks like a hook to the left side by the sideline or a hook to the right side near that sideline. They always burn me for 10 yards on them.
  • EA_Blueberry
    @GrizzGolf

Try going with Cover 3 Sky from Nickel or Dime repeatedly and the try switching it up to a Cover 4 or Cover 2 in that same formation. It might be worth it to take control of the DE on the opposite side of the slot receiver to drop back into coverage. That will block off that receiver's route which will give them a tough time against the receivers breaking to the outside.
  • @GrizzGolf

Try going with Cover 3 Sky from Nickel or Dime repeatedly and the try switching it up to a Cover 4 or Cover 2 in that same formation. It might be worth it to take control of the DE on the opposite side of the slot receiver to drop back into coverage. That will block off that receiver's route which will give them a tough time against the receivers breaking to the outside.

So I forgot to post back to you Blueberry but that helped me a ton. I'm almost at .500 now online in head 2 head. THANK YOU!!!!!! You help me stop my nightmare.
  • EA_Blueberry
    @GrizzGolf

I just came back from an extended vacation to see your reply, excellent! I'm not a huge fan of bringing the defensive linemen into coverage on a regular basis but there are times when you'll need to in order to stop some quick slant routes. At least makes the opponent second guess on doing it if you take control of the DE pre-snap. I'll move the DE around a bit to make them think I'm using that player and switch to a linebacker just before they snap.

Mind games I tell ya. Mind games.
  • @GrizzGolf
    It might be worth it to take control of the DE on the opposite side of the slot receiver to drop back into coverage. That will block off that receiver's route which will give them a tough time against the receivers breaking to the outside.

So you are advocating to user the DE into creating pass interference on a dragging WR? No wonder using intentional PI as a defensive strategy will never be fixed.
  • EA_Blueberry
    @GrizzGolf
    It might be worth it to take control of the DE on the opposite side of the slot receiver to drop back into coverage. That will block off that receiver's route which will give them a tough time against the receivers breaking to the outside.

So you are advocating to user the DE into creating pass interference on a dragging WR? No wonder using intentional PI as a defensive strategy will never be fixed.

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea of forcing PI on dragging WRs when bringing out Defensive Ends to pass coverage.

Check out the videos here. The Steelers pulled off exactly what I'm talking about where you want to cut off a quick slant route. The Lions and Packers followed up with similar examples.

• @GrizzGolf
    I'm not sure where you're getting the idea of forcing PI on dragging WRs when bringing out Defensive Ends to pass coverage.

Check out the videos here. The Steelers pulled off exactly what I'm talking about where you want to cut off a quick slant route. The Lions and Packers followed up with similar examples.

I get the idea because I see some players do it almost every day I play. Its hilarious (well, actually really aggravating) when a guy goes and users a DE (who might be 84 speed) or even a slower DT to interfere with the crossing pattern or drag by WR who could be a 95 speed more than 5 yards downfield and gets away with it. Or worse, after he stops the WR cold still has the ability to change directions and make the pick.
  • racer8755
    6 posts New member
    Yeah I'll usually do what EA Blueberry does too. Using the DE helps me alot for the slot. I actually man the DE almost all the time. Playing with teams that have awesome DE's is my go to. Super fun too.
    Try to find the best DE players online. This might help: https://www.gamersdecide.com/articles/madden-20-best-defensive-players