EA Forums - Banner

Onside Kicks - Madden 21

During H2H I see my opponent has selected "Kickoff". I pick "Onside Kick" but my opponent comes out in Onside Kick Return. He's not calling an audible. So how is he doing this? Is there a way to make it look like you're calling a regular kickoff return but then still switch back to onside kick return at the last minute?

Again, it's not an audible, it's like there's a way to just automatically match whatever the kicking team is doing. What gives?

Replies

• Bru. You only see the offensive formation when you are on defense. Kick return team sees if Kickoff team chooses kick off or onside kick. Not the other way around. (Get it? Kick off team = offense kick return = defense) When you are kicking off ...... that little box ALWAYS says kickoff.
  • I played my first match and I was losing 35-0. Then my opponent did the onside kick and I called the wrong kick return.
    Madden fan since 93.
  • It was a glitch The ENTIRE YEAR In madden 20. Glitchy Opponents love it because they can use it to glitch you into calling a Timeout or To gain extra possessions simply because the gm developers will not fix it.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4823 posts EA Community Manager
    I understand what you're saying, @TheNatTurner

At kickoff the team kicking off doesn't notify the receiving team whether they are going for an onside kick or not, so you will go into regular kickoff formation and they go onside, causing you to burn a timeout. You SHOULD be able to go to an onside kick formation if you do it right away, but will double-check on that.

You want it to work like all other plays where if you are the defense you wait until the offense selects their play so you know what personnel they have on the field.
  • I understand what you're saying, @TheNatTurner

At kickoff the team kicking off doesn't notify the receiving team whether they are going for an onside kick or not, so you will go into regular kickoff formation and they go onside, causing you to burn a timeout. You SHOULD be able to go to an onside kick formation if you do it right away, but will double-check on that.

You want it to work like all other plays where if you are the defense you wait until the offense selects their play so you know what personnel they have on the field.

Thank you for following up.

After further review, I think I was incorrect and it's working as intended. I believe that more experienced players are simply waiting to see what kickoff coverage I'm selecting and then choosing an appropriate return coverage. It's confusing because sometimes the messaging doesn't make sense. For example, sometimes the messaging says "Onside Kickoff" for the receiving team even though they apparently haven't selected a coverage. There's definitely some use cases where it's not intuitive. But the bottom line is that if you wait to call your play as the kicking team and the receiving team isn't paying attention, then you may intentionally catch them off guard, which is the way it's supposed to be.

In summary, I think it's a problem with the messaging and not actually the functionally.