EA Forums - Banner

Deep Passing

I understand the concept of deep passes in the NFL. If you have a team like Atlanta, you can set your opponent up to take advantage of Julio Jones on a streak. I know deep streaks only happen maybe 2 or 3 times per game so, I'm not one to want to exploit the game. I just want to know if anyone can throw deep passes this year in Madden 18. If so.....how? It seems like any corner (even SAINTS corners) can defend any receiver going deep in 1 on 1 coverage. BTW....this is only concerning 1 on 1 coverage.

Replies

• ShadowForMVP
    51 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Ya the deep ball seems to be either : Blanket coverage or blow coverage.

What I have been doing to increase my deep ball stats is to always use Y to catch for aggressive catch, and I try to change my WR to step inside/in front of the DB.

I really think they need to work on these "50/50" balls. In reality if we assume a "catch" its really like 80% WR and 20% DB. To have these DBs jump up and play the ball on bombs is SO RARE in the nfl, they almost always just play the receiver or play the hands of the WR, they don't engage in a Jump Ball with a WR who is generally speaking taller and stronger. Yet in this game, they go up like they are a WR also playing a game of jackpot.
  • Ya the deep ball seems to be either : Blanket coverage or blow coverage.

What I have been doing to increase my deep ball stats is to always use Y to catch for aggressive catch, and I try to change my WR to step inside/in front of the DB.

I really think they need to work on these "50/50" balls. In reality if we assume a "catch" its really like 80% WR and 20% DB. To have these DBs jump up and play the ball on bombs is SO RARE in the nfl, they almost always just play the receiver or play the hands of the WR, they don't engage in a Jump Ball with a WR who is generally speaking taller and stronger. Yet in this game, they go up like they are a WR also playing a game of jackpot.

How does 50/50 become 80/20? In reality, I'd rather see more incomplete passes. Less completions and less interceptions. But I was mislead about the simulation setting... So...
  • And I don't mean to keep beating this dead horse (well, yes I do) but one of heaviest things that was advertised this year was "simulation mode." Players will play to their ratings. I bet EA is still rolling on the floor laughing about this one.
  • Ya the deep ball seems to be either : Blanket coverage or blow coverage.

How does 50/50 become 80/20? In reality, I'd rather see more incomplete passes. Less completions and less interceptions. But I was mislead about the simulation setting... So...

I was saying, they use the term 50/50 ball were by a ball is thrown into the air for a JUMP ball between a receiver and a DB.

In reality, the expectation if we assume its a catch.... The WR would make 80% of catches and the DB would make 20% of catches presumably in a REAL NFL situation.

This is not to include any drops. What I am saying is, WR in the NFL dominate DBS in terms of "CATCHES" in these situations. Sure maybe the DB swats it in real life, but if we took the total amount of these "50/50 balls thrown" and looked at how many were completed vs how many were intercepted.... Madden numbers are WAY TO STRONG towards DBS making plays....

How often in the NFL does a DB go up and over a WR vs how Often does the WR go up and make a play over the DB? Id say in this game its 50/50 when it should be more so 80% WR.
  • We are definitely watching 2 different games. 80-20....hell everybody would be tossing 50/50 balls then.
  • daglove83 wrote: »
    We are definitely watching 2 different games. 80-20....**** everybody would be tossing 50/50 balls then.

If you have Julio Jones going one on one with a Saints cornerback, who do you expect to come down with the ball the majority of the time. Same thing for Odell Beckham, Dez Bryant, and any other elite or star receiver in the league. Any corner can defend ANY receiver one on one. I tested this by putting my fifth string corner starting and shut down AJ Green. Explain that one.
    We are definitely watching 2 different games. 80-20....**** everybody would be tossing 50/50 balls then.

it clearly says, under the impression of a catch. I am not talking about swatted balls, dropped balls, miss timed plays etc.

I am saying if you throw a jump ball... and lets suppose it is caught..... 80% of the time its the WR who makes a catch, not a DB.

The dbs are focused on playing the receiver, and or playing the hands of the WR. They are not jumping up and catching balls at an equal rate of a WR.
  • I think that is a good thing.
    I think that is a good thing.

Are you saying its a good thing that Madden alters Db/WR interactions so that DB's are just as good at playing balls / Catching Balls/ Targetting balls as Wide outs?
  • Stick talk
  • I'm saying it is good that it isn't a lay up to catch a ball. I'm saying it is good that your wr is open before tossing that ball in there.