EA Forums - Banner

Is it possible to run in this game?

My typical drive is run for no yardage. Run for negative yardage. Deep pass for a touchdown. I just laugh when I score. I don't want to score! I want to sustain a drive. I end up with 500 yards passing and less than 50 rushing and score 50 or more points. I'm trying so hard to like this game......

Replies

• Usually I'm lucky if I can even get 40 yards rushing in an online game.
    Madden fan since 93.
  • When running, you GOTTA be patient. Look for the holes and running lanes.. and take what the defense is giving you..
  • Ok, i'm the opposite here. I have a decent run game but i can't hit a long pass to save my life.
  • 4 verticals is almost a guaranteed big play. Either the outside receiver beats one on one coverage if it's man, other wise the slot receiver is open if it's zone.
  • I agree with you guys the running game is a piece of garbage there's all these holes down the field but even average or less linebackers cornerbacks or defensive lineman break off their blocks and Tackle you for a loss for no gain it's incredibly frustrating I think this game really sucks. It's also frustrating knowing that a crappy lineman got off a block of one of your really good online tackles and you can see all the space down the field but you got tackled for no no yards or a loss. Is there any way for EA to fix this back so that there's some balance in this game so you don't have to pass every damn play
  • kennylc wrote: »
    Ok, i'm the opposite here. I have a decent run game but i can't hit a long pass to save my life.

I only play offline vs CPU. The CPU typically calls either cover one or cover 3 when 3rd and long. Not good defense against 4 verts, but it never learns and calls something else.
  • jonesyskins
    42 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Same here, I only play off-line, CPU, All-Pro and simulation. Running the ball is hard but not impossible. My last season, one of my backs had 945 yards, the other 668 yards for the year. One reason is every one of my offensive lineman including backups are 92+ run blocking and 93+ strength. I drafted and traded primarily for these types of lineman. Plus, my backs are fast hitting and getting through the hole. I will play a game where I will only throw 7-10 times, everything else is pounding the rock baby!!!! One other thing, I don't control the backs, just user AI.
  • Don't hit turbo until you've reached the second level. Seems the moment you hit turbo all blocks get shed automatically.
  • kennylc
    97 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    THIS!!
    Don't hit turbo until you've reached the second level. Seems the moment you hit turbo all blocks get shed automatically.

• This is funny I find the run game to be way too strong. I've played guys that they only run the ball over and over.
  • daglove83 wrote: »
    This is funny I find the run game to be way too strong. I've played guys that they only run the ball over and over.

I lean heavily on the run this year. Just stay patient and follow your blockers and hit the gap and you're pretty much guaranteed to break a couple free to the endzone. See a huge opening in the second level? Hit turbo and you're off to the races.
  • Funny - we playing 32 player online franchise - ALL MADDEN - SIMULATION; the vertical passing game is much more challenging - guys relying on the far more extensively! - there was a bunch with over 2000 yards rushing after year 1
  • Ok. I get it then. If I control the RB it's easy to run... That's the problem. This is supposed to be a "simulation". My RB should run based on his ratings. I don't want to control the RB. It's no fun for me rushing for 200 yards a game with a third string RB just because I can. Ugh... It's bad enough I throw for 500 yards a game because I control the QB. I can't stress enough the misuse of the word simulation... I want to play a simulation of football, me vs the CPU. A battle of wits. Wasn't that the point of simulation? Competitive mode is for stick skills... Right?
  • I just changed the settings to control ball carrier manually. 5 runs in a row and I scored easily. Yeah. That's realistic and fun. Is this what you all actually enjoy?
  • I just assume having the ball carrier moves on auto would make it easier to run the ball. I stopped controlling the RB years ago when I broke rushing records every year and won every game by the end of the first half and the second half was just running the clock out. I actually kinda like the lack of yardage, if only I didn't throw for 500 yards now. Balance, EA, balance. Not every game needs to be a shootout.
  • The run is ridiculous this year. You probably just have to implement a few different formations into your playbook based on your team and personnel. But Inside Zone out of Shotgun still seem to be effective as well Stretch Plays out of I-Form and Pistol whichever you prefer. And we can't forget Counter plays out of Singleback formation. They work also. I guess just lab a few formations and see which ones work for you. But yes the run game is insane brother. Most leagues I'm in, nobody even attempts to pass the ball.
  • Yes that is what I am seeing. Used right the run can be very over powering this year. I have moved my lbs, slid my line and everything, but a good rb just runs around the edge sometimes.