EA Forums - Banner

Aaron Rodgers on IR & H2H games

Prev1
With Aaron Rodgers on the IR, no longer can I use him in H2H, I think EA Sports ought to rethink this, Packers are my favorite team & this ruins it for me, until the actual season is over.

Replies

• The-Sporty-Hero
    835 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    They do that to make the rosters both updated and competitive.
    Madden fan since 93.
  • If they’re your fav team you should roll with them regardless
  • It is up to the user....play offline. People want realistic everything until it hurts your or bothers you personally. I would hate to play with Cassell, but you know what....if it's in the game it's in the game
  • They started doing that about midway thru the season last year... I've seen the idea floated around message boards since as early as the Madden NFL 10 season though.

I've always thought that every player on the roster should be available to play in H2H online play. I imagine players on IR throughout the league are playing Madden, but not only can they not play in real life, but they can't even sub themselves into a video game fantasy...

I use the Panthers and I can't use Greg Olsen... Sucks. They will release everyone from IR at the end of the season.

Later
  • I Agree!!! It doesn't make sense. If their slogan is " IT'S IN THE GAME" ,then why can we challenge a play in H2H? Then again EA wanna take out injured players . BE CONSISTENT!!!!!
  • Lmao this is how Madden online used to be, and made for more realistic game play. No users spamming the strongest teams when a key player gets injured for the season. Either suck it up and use said team without said player or choose another team
  • Dweezy85 wrote: »
    Lmao this is how Madden online used to be, and made for more realistic game play. No users spamming the strongest teams when a key player gets injured for the season. Either suck it up and use said team without said player or choose another team

Tell Richard Sherman that...

Later
  • Tell Richard Sherman that...

Later

Uhhhhhhh...ok? What are you getting at? Sherman is out.....and?
    Uhhhhhhh...ok? What are you getting at? Sherman is out.....and?

Richard Sherman is out, but if he plays Madden and gets online with the Seahawks, he can't sub himself into the game, because he's hurt in real life.

Follow me: Madden is not real life. It's a video game fantasy. Players injured in real life should be available in online games because if we extend the "should be like real life" argument - none of use would be able to play. We don't control anything on the field in real life, so we shouldn't be able to play either.

How come nobody is asking that only real coaches and players who aren't on IR to be able to play Madden. Because the point of having the game is so people without access to the decision making process to be able to control the action.

That's what I'm getting at.

Later
  • Richard Sherman is out, but if he plays Madden and gets online with the Seahawks, he can't sub himself into the game, because he's hurt in real life.

Follow me: Madden is not real life. It's a video game fantasy. Players injured in real life should be available in online games because if we extend the "should be like real life" argument - none of use would be able to play. We don't control anything on the field in real life, so we shouldn't be able to play either.

How come nobody is asking that only real coaches and players who aren't on IR to be able to play Madden. Because the point of having the game is so people without access to the decision making process to be able to control the action.

That's what I'm getting at.

Later

Back on PS2, they had this lil thing called Fair Play, which added realism to the game. No going for it on every 4th and 20 on your own 10 when you have the lead or tie games, no players who are on the IR in real life, and whatever else. If you didn't like it, you simply go play un-ranked.

I couldn't stand when they had it as a free for all and you could put DB's at WR and send them on a go route just cuz they have lightning speed, point is, some of us prefer a sense of realism.
    Back on PS2, they had this lil thing called Fair Play, which added realism to the game. No going for it on every 4th and 20 on your own 10 when you have the lead or tie games, no players who are on the IR in real life, and whatever else. If you didn't like it, you simply go play un-ranked.

I couldn't stand when they had it as a free for all and you could put DB's at WR and send them on a go route just cuz they have lightning speed, point is, some of us prefer a sense of realism.

We have a differing view of realism... You seem to want a mirror of what you're used to seeing. I prefer a mirror of the process that creates what I'm used to seeing.

When I think of realism in a simulation I think of choices and consequences of those choices. I have always hated the idea of Fair Play because it limited perfectly legal, albeit sometimes unwise, choices and consequently the realistic outcomes those choices presented. My biggest problem with Fair Play was having someone in an office or cubicle miles away determining if and when we can go for the first. That should always be our choice.

The realism comes in the consequence. If someone wanted to make a dumb decision and go for it on 4th and 20 inside their own 10, they lose the ball if they don't make it. That's as realistic as it needed to be. While I would never have done that in most situations, there are situations where going for it on 4th and 20 is the only logical decision - but if some guy behind some desk somewhere didn't think so, that decision wasn't available.

That said, I punt. Not because it's "realistic" but because I believe it's the smart play in 99% of 4th down situations. When I feel like it's smarter to go for it on 4th, I'm unapologetic about making that decision. That same respect is extended to my opponents decisions, regardless of how inane I think they might be. Keep in mind, I got smacked in a ton of online games before Fair Play made its debut in Madden 2004. Didn't effect my distaste of Fair Play. I didn't want Fair Play to make it easier by tying my opponent's hands and therefore making it easier for me.

Ultimately, Fair Play allows someone else to coach your team. I'm sure you'd be upset if you had to go for it when your opponent said you had to go for it. Same idea applies if he has to punt because you said he had to punt.

Regarding substitutions, I'm an NFL purist. Every player on my roster should be available for subbing into any position - JUST LIKE NFL RULES STATE. Meaning, I shouldn't have to wait until a real coach uses a player at a different position before I can use them at a different position. If I think my safety would be better at linebacker, I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to use him at linebacker. If I want to use my defensive tackle at fullback, once again, I shouldn't have to do anything more than make the substitution.

There's nothing in football that says you can't sub freely. If you've watched football long enough you've seen DBs play WR, DE at TE, WR at HB, and a host of other subs we can't do in Madden anymore. The prohibition against subbing freely isn't a football reason at all. After all, every player on the field has his current position because someone looked at their skill set and decided how they could best be used.

Why can't we decide how we use our players? Because people whined about it, for lack of a better way to say it. They didn't encourage EA to create a better system to note exactly what personnel was on the field each play. They didn't require more logical football tools to counter odd subs. They just complained about having to deal with subs in general and applied pressure to EA to do, what I consider, the wrong thing.

Later

P.S. I have a ton of unpopular opinions that would actually make Madden better - even for guys that don't believe like I do.
  • I have no problem with Aaron being out. I been playing online for a very long time, so I get that's how the ball bounces. My issue is I played a guy last night who insisted on playing against me with his GB squad as well but he had Aaron Rodgers completely healthy and I need somebody to tell me how the hell did he pull that off???
  • I have no problem with Aaron being out. I been playing online for a very long time, so I get that's how the ball bounces. My issue is I played a guy last night who insisted on playing against me with his GB squad as well but he had Aaron Rodgers completely healthy and I need somebody to tell me how the hell did he pull that off???

Every few weeks, injured players are available. It's as if they haven't decided whether they will be available or not. In either case, Aaron Rodgers was healthy enough to play last week. He was placed on IR as a precaution, so the Packers could shut him down for the season. If you played a Ranked game, Rodgers might be available.

Later
  • Just got Madden 18 and so did my nephew. We obviously discovered that players on IR were not available when we went online to play each other. He's a big Giants fan and Beckham is not available due to this. I get the being "realistic" thing and want the game play to be as close to that; BUT again this is simply a game. Not allowing players on injury to be available is a bit to much. Even if I play a stranger online, and he chooses Greenbay for example .. if he is able to use Aaron Rodgers so what, it's the simulation of the game play that is most important when it comes to being "realistic".

I will also add, my brother in law... also a Giants fan was a bit angry and felt a little ripped off. I would be also if say Cam Newton was not available to play, had he been on IR or got injured, and I wasn't not able to use that player. That is why I buy the game, and every generation I get , I only use the Panthers even in season when they are not very good.

This is something EA should definitely change.
  • I agree it's completely ridiculous they need to give us the option in the options menu to shut off pre-existing injuries or go in and edit each player that is injured on edit rosters and take the injuries off of them... it was totally uncalled for to take injured players and make them unavailable it's a video game not real life it will never be real life...