EA Forums - Banner

First Impression - Really Bad Game.

I have played Madden since 95 and I have had many first impressions of the series. Sorry to say that this version is thee worst of them all. Back are the Herculean MLB who jump 10 yerds into the air to knock down balls(where the ever gone?), but that is not the worst of it.

I will say that I think the mechanics, especially in the running game are well done and an improvement.

However the horrid gameplay is all time pathetic. Defenders shed their blockers before the handoff. blitzers are unrealistically fast. Secondary cover 10 - 15 yares in seconds with direction change.

The funny thing is I can deal with all of it except the way it absolutely crushes the running game. I do not press the turbo button and I regularly have 2-4 defenders unblocked in front of me in the backfield, so that not losing yardage is now a successful run. You can sometimes see the intent, but the implementation is extremely poor.

The same for the passing, where you get the feeling that even on really low difficulty levels the AI is given predetermined outcomes that the animations then match regardless of if the defender is out of position.

While the announcers are good the logic is royally screwed up. I do not mean when the say the oline is not helping the RB and one play later mention how well the oline has been blocking all day when you do make a 9 yard run. Its the times when they say things completely out of context which happens often.

I guess I will play with the sliders a little and see if that works(something I have never done in over 20 years of Madden). I am glad I did not buy and am only renting via Premiere.

Replies

• Yeah. I adjusted the sliders and although it is better the defenders just fly 10 - 15 yards, slow LBs running down RBs coming from the backside. Safeties covering 20 yards in a three step drop to sack the QB before he sets. A constant stream of unblocked players into the backfield right after the ball is snapped is just horrible.

If someone can tell me what I need to change to prevent 2-4 players from releasing fromr their blocks before the handoff is made please tell me. Should I edit my oline to be all 99? I mean, I have run behind plenty of low 70s olines and never has madden been like this. I do not hlod Turbo unless literally everyone is behind me. So how do I prevent the defenders from instantly shedding their blocks and hitting my RB as he takes the handoff?
  • I have to agree. Actually, Madden 13 was the worst, but this is a close second. From players lagging to get into position, to this arm shaking that the players do on the cut shots, to speed ratings being replaced with confidence ratings in the depth chart during game play. Also, what happened to the generic offensive playbooks like Balanced Offense? I am trying to work through the problems, but I may go back to Madden 18.
  • Hey all at least the qbsneak isnt broken for the firat time in years
  • I love it when my best o lineman lets a 75 ovr player get 4 sacks in a half because no one can block anything on your team in this game
  • You have to adjust the sliders. And there is an option to have more realistic player speed differences. Madden’s default settings are set to even the playing field, regardless of player ratings. Again, just experiment with the sliders and settings. It won’t be perfect, but it will be much better. As far as the no look interceptions, that’s always been an issue, and I think if EA new how to fix it, they would.
  • game is amazing for simulation style gamers with the use of custom sliders. AMAZING
  • game is amazing for simulation style gamers with the use of custom sliders. AMAZING

No it isnt. How is the cpu ai runnimg backs not able to rush for positive yards fun for simulation football? And dont tell me sliders.. i have run nlocking for the cpu set at 100 and my tackling set as far down as possible without turning my defense into a flag football team.

I have not given up more than 20 yards in a single game on allpro. All madden is even more unplayable.

No clue what you are talkimg about.

Haters hate. I for one am enjoying this game more and more every year recently. They really are making progress towards simulation football. Some people just don't understand the definition of simulation. They want what they want, not helmet slamming, clip board throwing, stressful, analytical FOOTBALL.

P.s. Play calling matters.

No it isnt. How is the cpu ai runnimg backs not able to rush for positive yards fun for simulation football? And dont tell me sliders.. i have run nlocking for the cpu set at 100 and my tackling set as far down as possible without turning my defense into a flag football team.

I have not given up more than 20 yards in a single game on allpro. All madden is even more unplayable.

No clue what you are talkimg about.

Totally sliders. And custom rosters.

I'm using a copy of the rosters that has certain traits removed from players and added to players. For example it has big hitter removed from just about everyone but the leagues hardest hitters. It also has high motor turned off for everyone.

As for ball carriers everyone has fight for yards on, braces for all hits on, sideline catches on, run after catch on.

Linebackers have play ball in the air set to conservative and DBs have it set to balanced

On top of that roster edit i use somebodys well thought out and tested custom slider sets.

All this combined is giving me some of the most amazing gamesI have ever seen in Madden.

I don't play online H2H, I don't care about MUT. All I've wanted from Madden for years is the means to have a solid franchise experience and this year I'm able to get it.

I"m currently 5-3 in my franchise coming off a late game winning FG in OT against the Niners. They held me to a FG, I held them to a FG to even the score and then they forced me to go for a long FG with 2 minutes left to snag the win.

There's been a huge difference between AI HB's depending on their skill sets. Players actually react and play like their real life counterparts (for the most part. there will always be maddening moments).

So there you have it. With some self customization this Madden is by far the best Madden to date. Out the box it's still a junky online H2H/MUT clusterjunk mockery of the sport.
  • Gmoneyguap
    29 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    I wish madden would take out ball hawk user-assist etc because it would be a better experience for the real sim players out there but I know everyone isn’t like that. I’m having fun in this years game because it’s a challenge vs the cpu and in h2h
  • I hate when people say adjust the sliders to fix the game. That logic is flawed. Adjusting sliders may help me enjoy the game, but when im playing Head to Head vs another person do i say “hold on let me adjust the sliders so its real football?” With the people i play games the minute you start adjusting sliders it looks like you are cheating and people will look down on you.. the game should come perfect, and if somebody wants to adjust the game to their “Arcade” style of play then let them..
  • Maybe your perfect version differs from someone else’s. Video games are limited to algorithms. Real life football is real because movements are random, not created by mathematical formulas.
  • Fixed my rushing problem!!! Changed Special Moves to Manual, now the back actually hit's the hole instead of juking right into a tackle.
  • I couldn't disagree more. This is the best Madden I have played since 2010. And the rushing game is the best its been in years imo. I run the ball more than i pass this year for the first time in years.
  • OG_JMB_159 wrote: »
    I hate when people say adjust the sliders to fix the game. That logic is flawed. Adjusting sliders may help me enjoy the game, but when im playing Head to Head vs another person do i say “hold on let me adjust the sliders so its real football?” With the people i play games the minute you start adjusting sliders it looks like you are cheating and people will look down on you.. the game should come perfect, and if somebody wants to adjust the game to their “Arcade” style of play then let them..

when you choose to play h2h you choose to play with whatever EA decides to give you. the majority of H2H gamers want arcadey crud.

if you want more control you can build your own community of like minded gamers and all use the same sliders, you can join a CFM with like minded gamers and use the same sliders or you can play on your own with custom sliders and make the game better than what EA decides to offer you.

is madden buggy and comical out the box? of course, but you have numerous options at your disposal to fix it.

if climbing an imaginary leader board in H2H is your thing then you have no choice but to grin and bear it and play the same crud everyone else playing H2H has to deal with.
  • OG_JMB_159 wrote: »
    I hate when people say adjust the sliders to fix the game. That logic is flawed. Adjusting sliders may help me enjoy the game, but when im playing Head to Head vs another person do i say “hold on let me adjust the sliders so its real football?” With the people i play games the minute you start adjusting sliders it looks like you are cheating and people will look down on you.. the game should come perfect, and if somebody wants to adjust the game to their “Arcade” style of play then let them..

when you choose to play h2h you choose to play with whatever EA decides to give you. the majority of H2H gamers want arcadey crud.

if you want more control you can build your own community of like minded gamers and all use the same sliders, you can join a CFM with like minded gamers and use the same sliders or you can play on your own with custom sliders and make the game better than what EA decides to offer you.

is madden buggy and comical out the box? of course, but you have numerous options at your disposal to fix it.

if climbing an imaginary leader board in H2H is your thing then you have no choice but to grin and bear it and play the same crud everyone else playing H2H has to deal with.

I meant head to head with a friend. Lets say at their house. I know when you play online you play with the default sliders.. I meant if I play with lets say "Spreed min treshold" - on 0... a simple change like that makes your whole style of play different. I cant go into somebodys house and say "Hold on we have to set min treshold to 0" cause thats how i play... that doesnt fly especially when the average madden player doesnt do anything to sliders. they just play how it is...