EA Forums - Banner

Welcome to the NBA LIVE Forums!

Check out our latest EA SPORTS NBA LIVE update here.

Is the top Rookie ratings spot on?

Clueminati
321 posts Senior Moderator
https://www.easports.com/nba-live/news/2018/ratings-rookies?cid=49024&ts=1533914649119&utm_campaign=nba19_hd_ww_ic_soco_twt_nbalive19rookiestw&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Rookie ratings are out, and after begging them to drop the ratings and at last. They dropped them.

So please, what are your thoughts on the release? Is it spot on? Or is it something that you feel it's not right.

Is the top Rookie ratings spot on? 5 votes

Yes
20%
Matt_baby 1 vote
No
80%
NatureBoy2323Clueminatik1nGj0hN03stevenomes 4 votes
Not the Usos, but yeah... Day 1 ish since 2005.

Replies

• Clueminati
    No
    I am going to speak on this for a small moment. I wanted to say "yes", but I like the fact that the community spoke out on the Twitter about Trae Young's jersey, and his rating in the display is a "78" shown in the picture but an "81" when going through the whole discussion in the article. That's not the nitpick I wanted to speak about, but one thing I do have to go in on is the ratings of Michael Porter Jr and Kevin Knox.

MPJ is a phenomenal player coming out of high school, but the back injury where he didn't play as much during college gives him an 80. How is that possible to achieve an "80" rating where you're injured, and not too many teams wanted to gamble on him during draft night but Denver did. I hope he does have a speedy recovery, but I may see him being a rookie for the 2019-2020 season. Which I feel that the Denver Nuggets may make him as a stash player, and start doing their version of the "Trust the Process" blueprint. When saying he is a phenomenal player; this guy literally built his game around Kevin Durant on the way he plays, and he called himself at the time KD 2.0. Personally? I would give MPJ at least a 78 or 79 at best, and keep have him ready for the 2020 season.

Kevin Knox is a 78; and after watching his summer league debut for the Knicks? Four words came in to play. "Lightning in a bottle." It was highlight after highlight when he was on the court, and it was like seeing a young Vince Carter with a explosive first step attack the basket mentality. I do see him as a 2-way player, but not in the levels you see Klay Thompson or Kawhi Leonard where he is a work in progress although the defense is there. Since the Knicks fans booed this guy because they wanted MPJ? This is what Fizdale wanted, and it's interesting to see how this work out especially if they get rid of the contract of Joakim Noah. I would think that the rating of Kevin Knox would be at least a 79. Where the other Knicks rookie Mitchell Robison could be a 77.

If Grayson Allen is a 78? Where's the love for Jevon Carter? Surely, the guy [Grayson Allen] plays an antagonistic style of play where he is a pest that plays a bit dirty. So, I am guessing that Jevon Carter is another gritty player that will fit well within the Memphis Grizzlies Grindhouse system behind Michael Conley where that doubles up the defense in the point guard slot despite comparing him to Patrick Beverly. Other ratings I can't complain, but it was just that MPJ and Kevin Knox rating that sticks out IMO that made me vote "no".
  • NatureBoy2323
    3278 posts Game Changer
    No
    I totally agree with you @Clueminati.
  • No
    I think 84 is too high for DeAndre Ayton, or any rookie for that matter. An 82 even feels too high for Bagley; he was drafted #2 but I don't think he's the #2 rookie.
  • Clueminati
    No
    k1nGj0hN03 wrote: »
    I think 84 is too high for DeAndre Ayton, or any rookie for that matter. An 82 even feels too high for Bagley; he was drafted #2 but I don't think he's the #2 rookie.

I feel you on the DeAndre Ayton rating. The thing about Ayton is where he's a double double machine college. He got some controversy involving the how a brand was paying coaches and their players. As for Bagley, it's not much to say, but even where he made a huge splash dropping over 30 points in Drew League against James Harden's team as a high schooler. It was just there was more players around him. Which I wonder if Sacramento made the right move on getting him over Luka Doncic.
  • No
    its tricky rating guys with injuries to start the season. I think it depends on a few factors, what the type of injury is (could it severely limit his play when he does return) and how good is the player when 100% healthy. someone like DeMarcus cousins I think it's fair to downgrade him early season because Achilles injuries are notorious for being really tough injuries to come back from 100%. many guys are just not the same level of athleticism again. I'd be fine with cousins at low 80s rating when 100% he is low 90s to me. With MPJ I dont know enough about the injury. I know he slipped down draft boards because of the potential he needed surgery or if the injury being likely to flare up again. but if he is healthy to start the year will the injury limit him? if not I dont know necessarily that we should discount him too much besides the unknown of small sample size of him playing. What about for rookies putting their "potential" very high, like in franchise where they can gain ratings more quickly once they are playing consistently? maybe but him at 75 but he has a lot of potential to move to low 80s. this won't affect launch rating for the game but for rookies I'm not sure what the best way to judge them will be. myself I'd say any rookie probably should be discounted overall because we dont know how their talent will translate to NBA.
  • Clueminati
    No
    I agree. I think this pretty much falls through as the Greg Oden Effect. High draft value, and he had a high rating alongside Kevin Durant. This falls through the cycle of Joel Embiid, Ben Simmons, Markelle Fultz, and other rookies with a high rating value at the time with an injury. But Oden is a great example because he was dealing deteriorating tissue in the knee, and knee injuries are not great especially if you're top heavy. The potential of Greg Oden declined sharply, but with MPJ's injury where he only played 2-5 games in his college career given a high rating. Now, I saw that shoot out between him and Trae Young where he defeated Young, and he had a successful surgery too. So, my question now after the MPJ rating that's a head scratcher.

With the height of next year's draft class potential. When you hear names like Zion Williamson, Shareef O'Neal (if he enters the NBA draft, son of Shaquille O'Neal); Bol Bol (son of the late Manute Bol); RJ Barrett; Romeo Langford; Nassir Little; Cameron Reddish; Jontay Porter (brother of MPJ); Mac McClung; and international prospect Sekou Doumbouya. Should we start giving them fair ratings based on their season performance overall, and plus their draft combine performance? Or should we keep it like it is? Regardless that a player only played 2-5 have throughout their college career.