EA Forums - Banner

NBA Live

Check out our latest EA SPORTS NBA LIVE update here.

Hey Clueminati

moe71
82 posts Member
why do you think EA let 2K run them off the block ? regarding basketball video games.

Replies

• Clueminati
    315 posts Senior Moderator
    🤔

2K still running a Dreamcast engine on CurrentGen, but it's too early to tell when it comes to NextGen because there are things that I am not buying from the 2K TV interview with Mike Wang and Agent. Because there's no news, but an interview.

I'll give you guys an honest post later on after State of Play.
    Not the Usos, but yeah... Day 1 ish since 2005.
  • Clueminati
    edited August 6
    I am still on the fence with NBA 2K21, and I watched the CurrentGen game play which it is basically a cut scene so there was no game play. I was not impressed to be honest because it is a typical sizzle drop, and the only thing that stuck out game play wise was the size up with Lillard. Another thing, one person pointed out is the shot meter on Twitter, and if the shot meter is looking that? Mike Wang need to explain it more outside of the interview with 2K TV featuring Agent. I have no faith with the shot meter especially when you think of the lay-up timing, and I am back calling it fluff. Once again, their CurrentGen is still on the Dreamcast engine, but if you get the Mamba Edition? Your My Team can be transferred over to NextGen, but I still need more news not just a soundtrack listing and beach (2K Neighborhood).

Now with the state of EA when it comes to NBA LIVE? It is in a very delicate state, and yes, a dev left a company but that does not mean things are falling apart. Personally? I cannot give you an honest answer about 2K is running EA off the block, because they are there but it is hard to tell what NextGen will bring. If you think I am being biased? No, I play 2K as well mostly MyTeam, and neither games are perfect. I just feel EA is taking a better step to focus on NextGen not CurrentGen now. Addressing the mass public is one thing they need to work on when it comes to the communications for people to understand not having others creating theories based on quarters.
    moe71 wrote: »
    why do you think EA let 2K run them off the block ? regarding basketball video games.

For your answer to this question. Direction and creativity, and Andrew of NLSC explained it better.

That right there was creativity, and the same with NCAA Basketball 09 when you have the crowd feel and tempo.

My thoughts personally? I can point out "borrowed" content that made Live where 2K capitalized in like FIBA; now WNBA; and with other content. It is direction and creativity, because there was a lot of things EA should have just kept and built off more around it. I doubt I can bring back my old Minati Reports from my Community Day Events, but there was a lot of detail with some games. I just know it is hard to win people back on how things are handled, but you got to do more of a show and prove this coming NextGen. It is nothing about LUT ruined the game, it is about the lack of creativity and the direction in my opinion.
  • How come the NBA Live 21 game didn't become available for preorder yet?
  • Clueminati
    There's no word at the moment @The-Sporty-Hero
  • Well hopefully soon we all find out. I hope we find out by September 5th.
  • Clueminati
    All I can say @The-Sporty-Hero don't expect anything soon. At the moment everything is behind closed doors, and everything is sensitive at this point. Personally? I don't mind that. If you need room to work on something especially during this COVID-19 crisis? Work on it. You can't rush on something what's not developed. I have been on the boat on being frustrated, but I would rather wait on what stage of their life cycle. No, need to interrupt Take2 with their release, and we just have to see how ready is EA with the NextGen titles.

We can only hope for the best with EA, but there were opportunities that should have been capitalized. Shamefully? We kept wanting this and that, but ignoring the legacy issues with the game. I for one can admit I got burned out throughout my 15 years as a mod trying to be that voice and represent, and that is why I have left for a year. EA got to bring it like it was NBA LIVE 10 ; like it was NCAA Basketball 09; like it was NBA JAM; and like it was NBA Street. I know you all want better and I do too, and not keep clearing cache and memory space for NBA LIVE Mobile. At this moment? We just got to wait for what's behind closed doors to open, and that is why I am not in no rush for them to announce anything right now. They may lose money because it's not new, and we have seen that with the games that were cancelled. They have other studios working on the title with Tiburon, and there is a CM which I would rather have the CM to announce it.

Let this NBA season end, and see where do we go from here. Because fall is coming and so is winter, and this may be the hardest seasons ever due to this pandemic. From me to you guys. I want you all to be safe, and not worry about the state of EA's NBA LIVE or whatever they name it down the road. Let's wait and see on what comes out.
  • Thanks for your input. I don't think the NBA season will be an exciting one with this covid-19. I agree with you. I would rather have a perfect game that is finished and when we can vanquish this virus. That would be a more understanding route. :)
  • Clueminati
    edited August 21
    No problem @The-Sporty-Hero I am just trying to be a small voice of reason behind what is needed to be said. One thing I want to point out when I mentioned "borrowed" content between 2K using EA's content claiming it's brand new? Yes, 2K does have a deep fan base, and a following within their community from athletes to celebs. Yes, they tend to stay consistent when it comes to marketing. Finally? Yes, we are all lured into their game, even with the legacy bug that is never fixed. I am no longer impressed as I mentioned, and today I watched a 2K video talking about MyTeam and I stopped the video where I heard enough. MyTeam will be broken into seasons, the same you have seen off of NBA Live 19 LUT and maybe NBA Live Mobile. There's no coincidence that there is no creative content, but saying lets act like this is brand new.

Personally? I am now calling this refurbished. They're just giving you, me, and others the same thing but with a brand new hat to put on. That comment of the new hat, is where I call it the New Hat Theory thanks to The Simpsons episode. I have been expressive via Twitter when it came to Mike Wang and others not showing game play, but talking about changes being pure fluff. NextGen, I have no thought, but CurrentGen with this demo coming out 8/24; Kobe Day? There's going to be a lot of meat being picked off the bone. Just a heads up? MyTeam in 2K21? Same as NBA LIVE 19 LUT and NBA LIVE Mobile, and it shows where the creativity is at. I am going to say the same with NFL 2K21, it's going to be arcade like, and it's going to be the same like NFL Street from the once studio from EA - Chicago called EA BIG.

I'm going to have a clear mind playing the refurbished demo that lacks actual game play, and see the likes and dislikes in my own eyes. I hope you guys do the same too, because if this is a over confidence move? They better nail this, that is all I got to say about it, and this is going to be make or break for them which I want to see EA completely capitalize.
  • moe71
    82 posts Member
    edited August 24
    EA was always the better game. It introduced things from analog control to the WNBA. The problem was it was a TRUE SIMULATION and it forced you to play the game of basketball. I'm watching the 2K tournament on TV and i am amazed at how no one brings the ball up court. They throw from one end to the other. Its things like this that attracts my 12 year old and bothers me. In a nutshell the game is an arcade version of NBA live, calls are hardly ever made. EA could of put out 19 with an updated roster and i would of gladly purchased it. EA needs to realize there fan base is the die hard basketball fans not the look what sneakers i bought in the Neighborhood.
  • Clueminati
    Correct, I believe both have their legacy issues that needs to be address. 2K's camera angle wows me a lot and I credit Mike Wang on how he built the game, and how he did Kobe Bryant's Courtside. We all want to see a sim game, but I want to see it where this is a basketball game. Without faulty AI that can dumb down your controls of your defender with easy cuts, and slow reactions which 2K20 showed that with the latest awareness ever defensively. EA is guilty where they have the infamous drive the Red Sea AI where the player can attack and score easily.

Dribble mechanics is another thing, and we have seen that with EA when they had freestyle dribbling and BounceTec. There were times that the hand and ball would not feel authentic, but at the same time you have this canned animation where 2K is guilty of as well. Which it goes through the animation and it does not break away at points when you want it to be. Like doing a Shammgod where you’re covered, and you did not command that dribble which that's a turnover all the time. As I said in one Community Day event with EA, no game is perfect. There must be a separation on what you want in the game whether if it is a Wow Factor or a Fun Factor. I want EA bring sim in NBA LIVE, but I also want them to bring back NBA Street or NBA Jam for the arcade fun. Your wow is your NBA LIVE being sim, having a fun responsive actual basketball game with fundamentals including online and LUT. Your fun should be your NBA Jam / NBA Street, and that provides the enjoyment.