EA Forums - Banner

Looks like FIFA fans complain about the same things we do...

Prev13
I was looking through the E3 website and came across this article:
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/fifa-18-continues-to-strive-for-realism-but-at-a-c/1100-6450687/

Some of the complaints in this article sounded very familiar to the stuff you see around here:

"FIFA looks dazzling, but some would say EA has neglected the on-pitch action in favor of replicating the view from the gantry."

Sam Rivera, explained how FIFA 18 would be "more responsive," how fluidity was one of the main gameplay pillars the team wanted to improve on this year, and how they didn't want you to feel like you were constantly wrestling with your controller.

"The visuals affect a lot, the gameplay affects a lot, but the other thing that [the audience] really want is that they can perform what they have in mind easily without having to be fighting with the controllers or remembering complicated mechanics," Rivera told me. "I just want to shoot, shoot now, I don't want to shoot in two seconds, I want to shoot now, I don't want you to take a step and then shoot, I want to shoot now. That control is what we know they want and this is exactly our focus in this FIFA: To make sure that it's responsive, that it's fluid, and that the user is in control of the situation."

Hopefully the dev team are trying to tackle the same issues with NHL - at least FIFA users have a silver lining with PES.

Replies

• Bmh245
    905 posts Member
    "painful input lag and the world's heaviest touches mean it still takes far too long for your intentions to be translated to the pitch."

Exactly. Just bizarre that EA can't get its act together and fix this, whether it's in the NHL series or FIFA.
  • Rozsos27
    83 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    While they may complain, the gameplay between FIFA and NHL are worlds apart. I imagine it's harder to replicate hockey over soccer, but there's no doubt that FIFA plays much more true to life than NHL. However, it is and likely always will be behind PES in gameplay.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Rozsos27 wrote: »
    While they may complain, the gameplay between FIFA and NHL are worlds apart. I imagine it's harder to replicate hockey over soccer, but there's no doubt that FIFA plays much more true to life than NHL. However, it is and likely always will be behind PES in gameplay.

That's exactly how I feel after playing FIFA17, it's worlds apart from NHl17 in terms of handling and responsiveness. Of course, I have played only single-player modes on FIFA, but if the lag and sluggishness comes in online play, then it's hardly the fault of the game engine alone?
  • Bmh245 wrote: »
    "painful input lag and the world's heaviest touches mean it still takes far too long for your intentions to be translated to the pitch."

Exactly. Just bizarre that EA can't get its act together and fix this, whether it's in the NHL series or FIFA.

Right, it seems to be a common issue across ea sports titles. I don't play FIFA personally, but I found this persons review of FIFA 18 interesting because it's the exact same thing that many of us complain about.

Sports games have focused solely on the sim style of game since PS3 and Xbox 360 and have neglected the responsive feel of more 'arcadey' games of the past. I think the gaming world is ready for a return to some arcade style sports especially with the new hardware available today.
  • FIFA online lag sometimes plays better than NHL single player. To say they are similar is an insult to FIFA. NHL responsiveness is in a league of its own.
  • Bmh245
    905 posts Member
    symmer1983 wrote: »
    Bmh245 wrote: »

Right, it seems to be a common issue across ea sports titles. I don't play FIFA personally, but I found this persons review of FIFA 18 interesting because it's the exact same thing that many of us complain about.

Sports games have focused solely on the sim style of game since PS3 and Xbox 360 and have neglected the responsive feel of more 'arcadey' games of the past. I think the gaming world is ready for a return to some arcade style sports especially with the new hardware available today.

I don't think a lack of responsiveness is "sim," and I don't want the game to go back to an arcade-y style. I just want players to do what I'm telling them do when I tell them to do it.
  • Bmh245 wrote: »

I don't think a lack of responsiveness is "sim," and I don't want the game to go back to an arcade-y style. I just want players to do what I'm telling them do when I tell them to do it.

This!!!!!
    FURY-69-.png
  • FIFA online lag sometimes plays better than NHL single player. To say they are similar is an insult to FIFA. NHL responsiveness is in a league of its own.

This. I've never had much of an issue with "shoot when I tell you to shoot" in Fifa as I do in NHL. NHL is hilariously bad in terms of control as opposed to Fifa. Everything from the skating, to the shooting, puck pickups to the realism. I play soccer, so the engine makes complete sense to me in regards to 95% of Fifa's controls, however when I play hockey I feel the controls for NHL make around 65% sense.

This is such **** I don't even know where to start.
  • KoryDub wrote: »
    FIFA online lag sometimes plays better than NHL single player. To say they are similar is an insult to FIFA. NHL responsiveness is in a league of its own.

You talking about the NHL online experience? Cause I agree, it is ****.

I play FIFA17 online and it's responsiveness is significantly better than that of NHL.
  • ANYTHING is better than NHL when it comes to responsiveness.

is there anyway any of yall can take a video of your screen and controller to demonstrate what level of delay we are talking about here?
  • KidShowtime1867
    1612 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    KoryDub wrote: »
    FIFA online lag sometimes plays better than NHL single player. To say they are similar is an insult to FIFA. NHL responsiveness is in a league of its own.

I play FIFA17 online and it's responsiveness is significantly better than that of NHL.

No, I'm saying that your claim of FIFA online being better, in terms of responsiveness, than NHL Offline.

That's complete ****. Either that, or you've got some serious lag between your console and your TV.

is there anyway any of yall can take a video of your screen and controller to demonstrate what level of delay we are talking about here?

I haven't had a game that hasn't has significant delay online since the switch to ps4 from ps3. If I remember after work I'll get a video of it. I can literally hit the sticklift button on the controller and it's clearly at LEAST 1 second delay before it does it on the screen. My guy needs the turning radius of a bus to turn around.

This is also with 250/25 Rogers internet, started with 100/10 then upgraded hoping it would help, got a new modem as well. All new wiring run to my house for it, AND tried on 2 different ps4s, all with the same result. After all that I decided to give up on the game until EA fixes it. I'll gladly give them the $80 for the game if I can actually play it, until then they don't get another dollar out of me. 3 years now and close to $300 between the 3 games and I don't play past the first month cause of this delay. Not doing it for 18
  • KoryDub wrote: »
    KoryDub wrote: »

No, I'm saying that your claim of FIFA online being better, in terms of responsiveness, than NHL Offline.

That's complete ****. Either that, or you've got some serious lag between your console and your TV.

That was an exaggeration to get my point across. The two online experiences aren't even in the same league though.
  • BLicK12
    86 posts Member
    At least the FIFA devs readily acknowledge what needs to fixed. We have no idea what the NHL devs are stressing importance on other than dangling mouth guards.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    ANYTHING is better than NHL when it comes to responsiveness.

I haven't had a game that hasn't has significant delay online since the switch to ps4 from ps3. If I remember after work I'll get a video of it. I can literally hit the sticklift button on the controller and it's clearly at LEAST 1 second delay before it does it on the screen. My guy needs the turning radius of a bus to turn around.

This is also with 250/25 Rogers internet, started with 100/10 then upgraded hoping it would help, got a new modem as well. All new wiring run to my house for it, AND tried on 2 different ps4s, all with the same result. After all that I decided to give up on the game until EA fixes it. I'll gladly give them the $80 for the game if I can actually play it, until then they don't get another dollar out of me. 3 years now and close to $300 between the 3 games and I don't play past the first month cause of this delay. Not doing it for 18

I assume you have tried single-player to see if there's difference? Just to eliminate any issues being due to TV input lag, game mode on the TV etc.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member

Download/Upload speeds shouldn't be a big factor in your connection quality (unless you have less than 5 down, 2 up which is the minimum requirement for online play). It's your connection latency that is the bigger issue.

You can have 1TB up and down, but if your getting anything above 100ms delay between data packets, you'll experience LAGGED inputs. At least in any other online game you would. In EA's NHL game, anything above 30ms feels like you're playing underwater. Maybe their ingame online performance meter is wrong and 30ms is actually closer to 100ms. Wouldn't put it past EA to screw up on what information the game displays.

It's been said before, but I can sometimes have games where the performance monitor says I'm at 19ms ping and yet it feels like my player is very sluggish. Then other times the ping is around 25ms, and I'll be streaming, but it plays really smooth and responsive.

It's really weird...
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »

Download/Upload speeds shouldn't be a big factor in your connection quality (unless you have less than 5 down, 2 up which is the minimum requirement for online play). It's your connection latency that is the bigger issue.

You can have 1TB up and down, but if your getting anything above 100ms delay between data packets, you'll experience LAGGED inputs. At least in any other online game you would. In EA's NHL game, anything above 30ms feels like you're playing underwater. Maybe their ingame online performance meter is wrong and 30ms is actually closer to 100ms. Wouldn't put it past EA to screw up on what information the game displays.

It's been said before, but I can sometimes have games where the performance monitor says I'm at 19ms ping and yet it feels like my player is very sluggish. Then other times the ping is around 25ms, and I'll be streaming, but it plays really smooth and responsive.

It's really weird...

I will reiterate this again, even though I've beaten that dead horse into submission ten times over already. I'll even go over the top and say that latency has some effect on gameplay, but jitter may play a larger factor. Some games you'll see latency swinging + or - 10ms regularly throughout the game, and I've had some most horrific experiences being stuck in a game like that. EA should at least give us the option to superimpose that graph in a screen corner from the moment we are matched up to an opponent until the final horn so we can make a graph-to-gameplay comparison.
  • Assisted_NHL
    114 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

I assume you have tried single-player to see if there's difference? Just to eliminate any issues being due to TV input lag, game mode on the TV etc.

Yes single player is very smooth and no issues with delay. Since release I'm at 13-14 me in eashl and it pretty much flatlines throughout the game with no spikes but it's just unplayable. I really don't get it
    Post edited by Assisted_NHL on