EA Forums - Banner

Does anyone else think EA is clueless?

Prev1345
GOW_LIKE_A_BOSS
536 posts Member
edited June 2017
They introduce the defensive skill stick for the first time ever, and their major new mode completely removes the defensemen. How do those things make sense at the same time? It's almost like Rammer got so upset the defense was finally getting tools that he removed them completely.

Replies

• CrushNHL
    460 posts Member
    They aren't being removed... there is just a new 3v3 mode. They will still be in all other modes lol
  • You're jumping the gun. We have absolutely no idea what both are going to contain. Of course there will still be D in 3v3 and like Crush mentioned, the rest of the game modes still have defencemen.
  • Being able to move your stick independently of your body is not exclusive to the defensive position.
  • I get that there are still the others modes with defensemen, it just seems ironic that the new highlight mode is a 3v3, which is going to clearly be a lot more about offense than defense.
  • I get that there are still the others modes with defensemen, it just seems ironic that the new highlight mode is a 3v3, which is going to clearly be a lot more about offense than defense.

If you think in 3v3 that you won't be playing any form of defense to utilize the stick, good luck to you
  • They introduce the defensive skill stick for the first time ever, and their major new mode completely removes the defensemen. How do those things make sense at the same time? It's almost like Rammer got so upset the defense was finally getting tools that he removed them completely.

It's a defensive tool, not something that only a dman has access to.

I think what you're insinuating is the only thing clueless in this thread.
  • To stay on topic, Yes I absolutely do think EA is clueless, and it's baffled me for many, many years. On the one hand, these are people, human beings with feelings who go to work every day. I doubt there's some conspiracy of doing the bare minimum of design for NHL, but..it's become ridiculous to me how year after year they do—or don't do—certain things.

What's it like in those offices? Are they told not to do much? Is it time constraints? Does anything underhanded actually go on at EA? If so, why has nothing "leaked" before? One thing that comes to mind are '17's 1-100 sliders. I was instantly suspicious of EA when I heard about them. I could definitely see them having like 0-25, and so on, be exactly the same setting. It's not like this suspicion comes out of nowhere either. EA earned it with reputation, but again not enough information has come out with NHL's team that can prove anything. I'm ranting now, but it's just all so weird to me, how NHL appears to be an afterthought for them.
  • To stay on topic, Yes I absolutely do think EA is clueless, and it's baffled me for many, many years. On the one hand, these are people, human beings with feelings who go to work every day. I doubt there's some conspiracy of doing the bare minimum of design for NHL, but..it's become ridiculous to me how year after year they do—or don't do—certain things.

What's it like in those offices? Are they told not to do much? Is it time constraints? Does anything underhanded actually go on at EA? If so, why has nothing "leaked" before? One thing that comes to mind are '17's 1-100 sliders. I was instantly suspicious of EA when I heard about them. I could definitely see them having like 0-25, and so on, be exactly the same setting. It's not like this suspicion comes out of nowhere either. EA earned it with reputation, but again not enough information has come out with NHL's team that can prove anything. I'm ranting now, but it's just all so weird to me, how NHL appears to be an afterthought for them.

I both agree and disagree with you.

I agree that there has to be something going on at EA for the executives to either be completely unaware or not care at all about the tons of negative feedback this game recieves.

I believe the gamechangers when they suggest that the devs get screwed over when it comes to how many resources they have to work with when compared to all the other EA sports titles. This if true, falls in line with the above.

However, i do not believe the devs dont care about their game being an afterthought to the company they work for.

Look at it this way, NHL should theoretically hold a MUCH larger market share of the EA Sports titles than Madden.

The reason I say that is because Madden mostly would only appeal to people in the US, since the game only includes NFL teams...because almost nobody plays that style of football.

On the other hand, NHL features hockey teams from many different leagues, spanning various countries in the world. By default, tons of people around the world should be lining up for the game, (think to a smaller extent compared to FIFA) and not just US and Canadians.

I would think the devs are tremendously concerned that they cant even match the sales of Madden with a sport that is actually played around the world.

I agree that there has to be something going on at EA for the executives to either be completely unaware or not care at all about the tons of negative feedback this game recieves.

I believe the gamechangers when they suggest that the devs get screwed over when it comes to how many resources they have to work with when compared to all the other EA sports titles. This if true, falls in line with the above.

However, i do not believe the devs dont care about their game being an afterthought to the company they work for.

Look at it this way, NHL should theoretically hold a MUCH larger market share of the EA Sports titles than Madden.

The reason I say that is because Madden mostly would only appeal to people in the US, since the game only includes NFL teams...because almost nobody plays that style of football.

On the other hand, NHL features hockey teams from many different leagues, spanning various countries in the world. By default, tons of people around the world should be lining up for the game, (think to a smaller extent compared to FIFA) and not just US and Canadians.

I would think the devs are tremendously concerned that they cant even match the sales of Madden with a sport that is actually played around the world.

I have similar thoughts to you guys. I think our game is getting tugged in a couple different directions. EA producer wants the game to appeal to people who aren't already buying it, so they try to make it more "fun" in the same way the NHL is trying to make actual hockey more fun - by having more goals. I think Rammer absolutely buys into what the NHL wants to do (shrink pads, enlarge nets, remove ability to ice the puck on a penalty kill without an icing call, etc.) all to get more goals. Both Rammer and the NHL think more goals = more fun.

I think Ben (and possibly other devs) are more actual hockey oriented, and want things like better AI, better controls (ie. defensive skill stick) and to overall make a better hockey game, rather than what Rammer wants which is a "better" hockey game.

I think this is why we get seemingly conflicting goals. We get 3v3, which the NHL LOVES because it's faster, more goals, less defense, no trap, etc. We got 3 on 3 overtime (a good thing), 3 on 3 all star game (I don't watch it, don't care), and all the other possible rule changes to get more scoring.

At the end of the day, I think we have EA Producers/Rammer who believe more goals and more freewheeling = better hockey on one side, and Ben and possibly others on the other side who realize hockey doesn't need more scoring to be better.

Imo, hockey isn't like basketball, or football, or baseball. It is really hard to score in hockey, and goals are very valuable commodities. We don't need 7-5, 9-8, and 6-2 scores all the time to make the game fun. The game is fun when you have to work hard to score. The game isn't fun when you can just rack up goal after goal after goal. My most enjoyable 1v1 games have low scores. Higher scores just feel stupid.
  • BoboFloggins
    2170 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Electronic Arts Inc.
    NASDAQ: EA - Jun 16, 3:08 PM EDT
    111.88 USD Price
    increase 1.35 (1.22%)

hmmm....

confirmed: not eee-diots
  • IceLion68
    1037 posts Member
    At the end of the day, I think we have EA Producers/Rammer who believe more goals and more freewheeling = better hockey on one side, and Ben and possibly others on the other side who realize hockey doesn't need more scoring to be better.

Imo, hockey isn't like basketball, or football, or baseball. It is really hard to score in hockey, and goals are very valuable commodities. We don't need 7-5, 9-8, and 6-2 scores all the time to make the game fun. The game is fun when you have to work hard to score. The game isn't fun when you can just rack up goal after goal after goal. My most enjoyable 1v1 games have low scores. Higher scores just feel stupid.

While I agree with this, they dont come up with this stuff in a vacuum believe it or not. Also, there are I imagine a ton of "kids" who dont share our "higher scores just feel stupid" view point. We may even be in the minority for all we know.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • NuttySportsFan
    429 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    To stay on topic, Yes I absolutely do think EA is clueless, and it's baffled me for many, many years. On the one hand, these are people, human beings with feelings who go to work every day. I doubt there's some conspiracy of doing the bare minimum of design for NHL, but..it's become ridiculous to me how year after year they do—or don't do—certain things.

I have similar thoughts to you guys. I think our game is getting tugged in a couple different directions. EA producer wants the game to appeal to people who aren't already buying it, so they try to make it more "fun" in the same way the NHL is trying to make actual hockey more fun - by having more goals. I think Rammer absolutely buys into what the NHL wants to do (shrink pads, enlarge nets, remove ability to ice the puck on a penalty kill without an icing call, etc.) all to get more goals. Both Rammer and the NHL think more goals = more fun.

I think Ben (and possibly other devs) are more actual hockey oriented, and want things like better AI, better controls (ie. defensive skill stick) and to overall make a better hockey game, rather than what Rammer wants which is a "better" hockey game.

I think this is why we get seemingly conflicting goals. We get 3v3, which the NHL LOVES because it's faster, more goals, less defense, no trap, etc. We got 3 on 3 overtime (a good thing), 3 on 3 all star game (I don't watch it, don't care), and all the other possible rule changes to get more scoring.

That's a very good point, and i think it begs to question how it can be people remember the 80's NHL as one of the league's golden eras when it goes completely against the principles of what a well played game of hockey is?

The 80's began the trend of high profile players being protected from the best checkers in the league by both teammates, and the league, for instance.

In addition, the 80's were the age of those 6-4 games on almost a nightly basis.

Good hockey to me is a very rough sport for everyone, no matter how strong or fast you or any other player may be. Everyone should be expected to make a physical impact of some kind, if for no other reason, to provide teammates with support at the very least.

Good hockey features teams of varying playstyles/systems (unlike what we see today where everyone plays too conservatively and usually only a single forechecker)

Good hockey means team oriented focus, on both offense and defense in terms of formation and structure. This EA NHL game tries to depict the opposite, which throws everything out of wack.

Thoughts?
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    To stay on topic, Yes I absolutely do think EA is clueless, and it's baffled me for many, many years. On the one hand, these are people, human beings with feelings who go to work every day. I doubt there's some conspiracy of doing the bare minimum of design for NHL, but..it's become ridiculous to me how year after year they do—or don't do—certain things.

Are you a software engineer or do you work in game development? If not, that explains why you don't really know what goes on. Keep in mind the annual development cycle they have. There's only so much time between games. What they're accomplishing isn't the kind of stuff that can be done over night. Between development and testing, huge amounts of time are used. Apparently the NHL dev team is also much smaller than other games so they're not going to get as much done.

This game isn't an afterthought. A huge amount of work goes in to it each year. The community is listened to. Look at the 3 on 3 mode. Their social media pages have gotten flooded with requests for his after the All Star game the last 2 years. Then there are many wanting the game to be more arcade like. People have been asking for this. Also keep in mind the population of the regular posters on the forums make up a very small percentage of the players of this game.

You guys come up with all these absurd conspiracy theories. It's ridiculous to think they'd waste development time on faking the sliders. Those are the same ones they use to tune the game. They make slight adjustments in most cases. If it was truly a faked 1 - 4 scenario like you're saying, the changes would be a lot more drastic.

That's a very good point, and i think it begs to question how it can be people remember the 80's NHL as one of the league's golden eras when it goes completely against the principles of what a well played game of hockey is?

The 80's began the trend of high profile players being protected from the best checkers in the league by both teammates, and the league, for instance.

In addition, the 80's were the age of those 6-4 games on almost a nightly basis.

Good hockey to me is a very rough sport for everyone, no matter how strong or fast you or any other player may be. Everyone should be expected to make a physical impact of some kind, if for no other reason, to provide teammates with support at the very least.

Good hockey features teams of varying playstyles/systems (unlike what we see today where everyone plays too conservatively and usually only a single forechecker)

Good hockey means team oriented focus, on both offense and defense in terms of formation and structure. This EA NHL game tries to depict the opposite, which throws everything out of wack.

Thoughts?

Personally, I think hockey is always evolving. I don't know what you mean when you say the league protected star players (not saying you're wrong, just I wasn't watching hockey in the 80s and thus don't know what you're referencing). However, I know the enforcer type (who protected the star type) got phased out because other players all started getting more skilled, and it was a waste to have a boxer on skates take up a roster spot when you could get a decent player with fighting skills too.

Game evolved from the end to end high action to the trap the Devils perfected, then ran to the big bruiser possession teams (like the Kings when they won the cup a few years ago). Now the game is changing again toward fast teams like the Penguins the last two years, the Stars the year before this one, and so on. The scoring isn't really all that low, it's just that the players have gotten so much better.
  • KoryDub wrote: »
    Being able to move your stick independently of your body is not exclusive to the defensive position.

Excellent point.
  • Sinbin wrote: »

Are you a software engineer or do you work in game development? If not, that explains why you don't really know what goes on. Keep in mind the annual development cycle they have. There's only so much time between games. What they're accomplishing isn't the kind of stuff that can be done over night. Between development and testing, huge amounts of time are used. Apparently the NHL dev team is also much smaller than other games so they're not going to get as much done.

This game isn't an afterthought. A huge amount of work goes in to it each year. The community is listened to. Look at the 3 on 3 mode. Their social media pages have gotten flooded with requests for his after the All Star game the last 2 years. Then there are many wanting the game to be more arcade like. People have been asking for this. Also keep in mind the population of the regular posters on the forums make up a very small percentage of the players of this game.

You guys come up with all these absurd conspiracy theories. It's ridiculous to think they'd waste development time on faking the sliders. Those are the same ones they use to tune the game. They make slight adjustments in most cases. If it was truly a faked 1 - 4 scenario like you're saying, the changes would be a lot more drastic.

Why does someone have to be a software engineer to be allowed to complain about a game???

So if you have problems with your car, you better be quiet if you are not a mechanic.......

Some people...
  • Axel_Owretchsin
    296 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Sinbin wrote: »

You come after me, but it would appear to be you who has an issue with reading comprehension. I pretty much entirely pose everything as questions or conjecture and wonder, and point out that I completely understand these are legitimate, regular people with regular jobs to go to work every day with feelings and the like. I even admit to "suspicion," which puts it on me, not them. The point is with the quality of this product, a lot of things come off as "weird" to me, year to year. Many, many other companies do so much more with the exact same time constraints, like Sony and MLB. All that said I mainly think they need a new lead.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member

Why does someone have to be a software engineer to be allowed to complain about a game???

So if you have problems with your car, you better be quiet if you are not a mechanic.......

Some people...

Complaining your car is making a noise it shouldn't and then claiming it's making that noise because the engineers that made the car are clueless should mean you know what you're talking about. If my car has a problem, I take it to a mechanic because they are the experts. I don't make the assumption that it's due to faulty engineering because I don't have the professional knowledge to do so. It's one thing to complain. It's another to assume and insinuate facts when you don't have the education to back it up.

• Sinbin
    1331 posts Member

You come after me, but it would appear to be you who has an issue with reading comprehension. I pretty much entirely pose everything as questions or conjecture and wonder, and point out that I completely understand these are legitimate, regular people with regular jobs to go to work every day with feelings and the like. I even admit to "suspicion," which puts it on me, not them. The point is with the quality of this product, a lot of things come off as "weird" to me, year to year. Many, many other companies do so much more with the exact same time constraints, like Sony and MLB. All that said I mainly think they need a new lead.

Thanks for the explanation. That clears up your post a bit.

Why do you think a new lead is needed? What specifically about their role don't you like? There isn't one person making this game. It's a team of producers and developers. One person doesn't call all the shots.