EA Forums - Banner

NHL18: The Facts (What we know so far)

Replies

• VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    the "bars" don't indicate that, they would seem to suggest we are talking mid 60s to 70s for most attributes. i guess i'll take your word for it but then again how do you know? it's not shown anywhere so I would assume the only way you know that is because some dev told you that as a gamechanger. how **** stupid is it that they use those stupid bars anyway instead of just showing the actual stats. I just don't get it then because offline/hut I don't have ANY of these issues ever. HUT **** because every 3rd game is a total lagfest but the few times i've played it when the latency was good the players seem way better at everything then the eashl. and offline isn't even a question.

I'd ask to see something official on the actual stats of EASHL players but i know it won't happen. So guess I'll move forward assuming you are right but can't help feeling you've been given bad info.

and yes early in the series there were issues with intercepts but by nhl 14 if someone sent a pass around the boards and you were there to catch it/intercept it it was about 95% of the time caught. Now in 17 I would say more like 70-75%. but that's not even the biggest problem for me, because frankly thats 90% about auto animations. for me its the puck handling, ability to handle passes, pick up lose pucks, etc. i never have any of these issues offline.

again i'll assume what you were told is right if that's the case then this game really plays clunky in eashl just because of the netcode. didn't have any of the difference between offline/online in past gen. In fact because I could customize the stats that mattered I felt eashl played better then offline other than the occasional game that lagged.

You can't compare EASHL player builds' attributes with HUT player attributes. HUT has cards that boost some of those attributes to make players faster, stronger and more accurate than their BASE versions. Synergies can also affect their attributes. There's none of that in EASHL.

I never feel as if the game is slower or faster in one mode than another, TBH. Maybe because I don't try to dangle through everyone on the ice from goal line to goal line. I try to pass the puck to move forward so I don't have a problem with the game's speed (even though I do think it's a tad too fast). Maybe you should give that RT a whirl... You'd maybe have less issues with the skating "being slow".
  • B-Bunny wrote: »
    Im not wrong about the attributes, its one of the first things the GCs helped tune and play around with on the class system. We would adjust them live at the studio. Theyre definitely between 80-95 across the board with the exception of perhaps one or two attributes.

must be code then or just slider type tuning. because this system flipped the script. game always felt better in eashl than offline/vs and since ps4 it's been the opposite.
  • Whoever says defense got better as old gen was developed needs a reality check.

Without question, the best year for defense was NHL 11. Having 99 Def Awareness allowed you to pick off constant pass attempts to the slot for one timers, forcing the opponent to pass the puck around. If they tried to go through you, (assuming you knew exactly where the active frames were in certain broken dekes) you would smash them with 99 body checking and 99 strength, and 99 balance protected you from large grinders and powerforwards, giving you just enough time to get a pass off to a teammate while you were hounded while you had the puck.

Next, we had NHL 12, where Rammer's personal touch on the game was remarkable...for offense. Body checks were broken, poke checking and pass interceptions...you may as well have been holding air in your hands, this was the year of no defense.

NHL 13, good idea with TPS, but it exposes that around 85% of the game's population had never ice skated before in real life. Everyone was taking 130 degree turns into the sideboards at full speed. Besides this, TPS actually broke backskating for defenders. Oh and they also took out proper vision control. With that said, they fixed the pass interception issues...until they broke it with tuners again.

NHL 14 seemed better than NHL 13 for backskating, except now the defenders would constantly ignore passes they should have intercepted, similar to NHL 12...

And then next gen happened...and we have the game at the point it is at today.

Hoping for NHL 18 to prove me wrong...or maybe begging, i dont know.
  • What we know so far?

There's no mention anywhere about improvement for contact physics or skating so the glide bubble will still be there and the game will be unplayable because of it.

I can't stand the game anymore, it's impossible to find a decent game since everyone is in on the terrible physics and it's completely acceptable and without shame to abuse it to the extreme. The game looks unnatural and weird because of it and being forced to do it in competitive situations makes the game unrewarding.

Fortunately we get the all new NHL threes where the team with the better connection can glide bubble it's way to victory.
  • CrushNHL
    460 posts Member
    Juppo1996 wrote: »
    What we know so far?

There's no mention anywhere about improvement for contact physics or skating so the glide bubble will still be there and the game will be unplayable because of it.

I can't stand the game anymore, it's impossible to find a decent game since everyone is in on the terrible physics and it's completely acceptable and without shame to abuse it to the extreme. The game looks unnatural and weird because of it and being forced to do it in competitive situations makes the game unrewarding.

Fortunately we get the all new NHL threes where the team with the better connection can glide bubble it's way to victory.

Yep, this is spot on and exactly the state the game is in and will continue to be in as long as TPS exists. Glide bubbling is the optimal (only) way to play the game and if you aren't doing it you are getting crushed. People are just playing the game the best way it can be played. It's a hate the game, not the player thing.

NHL has become Bubble Bobble from NES. There are bubbles around each player and 2 big bubbles around each net. All these bubbles make contact and just slide off of each other and you get the funkiest physics of any sports game ever made. Throw in some random weird player spinning and some Benny Hill theme music and you have EA NHL.
  • I just read this in the initial post of this thread

MULTIPLAYER
    Play co-op in online and offline modes
    Mix couch co-op with online co-op (EASHL)
    Over 64 ways to team up and play on the couch or online

Does this mean EASHL can be played with multiple people on 1 TV?
  • rcompton78 wrote: »
    I just read this in the initial post of this thread

MULTIPLAYER

It won't be in EASHL unfortunately. Would be awesome it if was.

I believe this is in HUT, VS and the NHL 3's mode.

In theory you could play 6v6 HUT or VS games with friends with any combo of couch/online coop (up to 4 players on 1 console).
  • IceLion68
    810 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    ThatPope1 wrote: »
    rcompton78 wrote: »
    I just read this in the initial post of this thread

MULTIPLAYER

It won't be in EASHL unfortunately. Would be awesome it if was.

I believe this is in HUT, VS and the NHL 3's mode.

In theory you could play 6v6 HUT or VS games with friends with any combo of couch/online coop (up to 4 players on 1 console).
    I *suspect* it will be there for drop-in but not club

EDIT: That said I have NO idea where I got it in my head this was a thing LOL - I have edited my original post.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • SaveUs2K wrote: »
    Whoever says defense got better as old gen was developed needs a reality check.

Without question, the best year for defense was NHL 11. Having 99 Def Awareness allowed you to pick off constant pass attempts to the slot for one timers, forcing the opponent to pass the puck around. If they tried to go through you, (assuming you knew exactly where the active frames were in certain broken dekes) you would smash them with 99 body checking and 99 strength, and 99 balance protected you from large grinders and powerforwards, giving you just enough time to get a pass off to a teammate while you were hounded while you had the puck.

Next, we had NHL 12, where Rammer's personal touch on the game was remarkable...for offense. Body checks were broken, poke checking and pass interceptions...you may as well have been holding air in your hands, this was the year of no defense.

NHL 13, good idea with TPS, but it exposes that around 85% of the game's population had never ice skated before in real life. Everyone was taking 130 degree turns into the sideboards at full speed. Besides this, TPS actually broke backskating for defenders. Oh and they also took out proper vision control. With that said, they fixed the pass interception issues...until they broke it with tuners again.

NHL 14 seemed better than NHL 13 for backskating, except now the defenders would constantly ignore passes they should have intercepted, similar to NHL 12...

And then next gen happened...and we have the game at the point it is at today.

Hoping for NHL 18 to prove me wrong...or maybe begging, i dont know.

Wow, someone who actually gets it!! I love seeing posts that rank 12/14 high for "best NHL games". Clearly forwards/1v1 players. Couldn't have done the play-by-play better myself!

I'm glad someone actually read my comment and knows where i am coming from. I could go on forever discussing the good and the bad for each position from NHL 11 to 16. I'm not going to compare all of them because that would be way off topic at this point.

The short version though, without a doubt, NHL 11 was the fairest game across the board. Whatever position you played most, you knew how good you truly were compared to others. The best forwards could control the game with excellent possession, the best defenders could carry the entire defensive load for an otherwise inept group defensively, and the best goalies could give an atrocious team a chance to win every game they played, regardless of the opponent.

Compare that to NHL 16, and to my understanding 17 as well. All forwards can score by accident, all defenders will pray the game allows them to check properly and pick off passes based on RNG more so than ever before. Goalies gotta get sniped. Animations being too involved at times, and the game taking control of your player, its a mess
  • Gschlez
    106 posts Member
    Addressing legacy issues to player-controlled goaltenders to get quicker drops to the butterfly position, as well as quicker transitions from butterfly position to hugging the post.

So they touched a setting. Great job EA
  • Gschlez
    106 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    So are they going to do anything about low percentage shots being a better shot than high percentage shots? Why can you snipe from 2 inches above the goal line but you can't score when you're wide open in the slot. I mean thats just common logic right there
  • BSDShoes
    113 posts Member
    32nd team, i'd probably make the 32nd team in New Orleans and call them the Hogs or something.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    Gschlez wrote: »
    Addressing legacy issues to player-controlled goaltenders to get quicker drops to the butterfly position, as well as quicker transitions from butterfly position to hugging the post.

So they touched a setting. Great job EA

It's not a setting. It's an actual issue with the core mechanics of the goaltenders, how they work in the game, how they animate, how they interact with the post. Up until now there's always been "bubbles" around the posts and a force field on the goal line and about 5 feet up from the crease that made it impossible for human goalies to completely plug up holes in his coverage. There would always be that available "foot" of space between his skates/pads and the posts/goal line.

The animations were always a problem because in the current LEGACY system, there's no real way to cancel from one state (animation) to another. You always need to wait for the animation to play out before you can engage another one.

Those are mechanics, not settings. Hopefully, the new mechanics will help make playing goalie a little better.
  • Gschlez
    106 posts Member
    If they tuned down shooting accuracy from **** angles that wouldn't be a problem. From what I heard everyone loved the demo last year but then EA decide that goalies should let in 5+ goals a game.
  • Gschlez
    106 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    The main issue is the fact that we can't properly cut down angles due to imput lag and the lack of delay players have between skating at full speed and shooting with 100% accuracy. There is a lot of things that are in the tuner that they could change to help goalies but instead they try things that end up not working.

Like is it really that hard to tier the offensive zone and have different shot accuracys for different zones?