EA Forums - Banner

Gameinformer - 60 Things we know about NHL 18

Prev134
Workin_OT
469 posts Member
edited June 2017
Always enjoy reading these every year. Usually a few tidbits not mentioned elsewhere.

gameinformer.com/games/nhl_18/b/playstation4/archive/2017/06/21/game-informer-nhl-18-preview.aspx

Replies

• Defenders have full stick control even when they are skating forward and backward. You can now be skating on the backcheck, holding your stick out behind you to take away passing options for the puck carrier.

To help defenders counter the new moves at the puck handler's disposal, NHL reintroduces a defensive skill stick that lets players hold their stick out and sweep it to take away passing lanes. This becomes another tool in the defender's arsenal along with poke checks, stick lifts, and body checks.

I'm looking forward to having a defensive skill stick but I hope EA tunes the penalties correctly because I can imagine all the tripping penalties when the opposing player skates into your stick when you have it out or sweeping to take a way a passing lane etc....

• mhandymanb wrote: »
    Defenders have full stick control even when they are skating forward and backward. You can now be skating on the backcheck, holding your stick out behind you to take away passing options for the puck carrier.

To help defenders counter the new moves at the puck handler's disposal, NHL reintroduces a defensive skill stick that lets players hold their stick out and sweep it to take away passing lanes. This becomes another tool in the defender's arsenal along with poke checks, stick lifts, and body checks.

I'm looking forward to having a defensive skill stick but I hope EA tunes the penalties correctly because I can imagine all the tripping penalties when the opposing player skates into your stick when you have it out or sweeping to take a way a passing lane etc....

Agreed.
  • I've said it before and I'll say it again...disappointing list of features this year but i already knew that from the survey they sent out.

3's sounds sort of interesting, but it won't be online team play so the standalone mode is kind of useless for me (other than the 3s EASHL). It will be a huge oversight on their part if they really make OT 3v3 for standard EASHL games and it is going to irk a large portion of the 5s and 6s teams.

The new dekes being tied to face buttons is also disgusting. At the beginning of the other article it said that they were trying to bring back stuff from last gen, apparently they meant the original xbox or ps.

It's rather disappointing that the game that once was the trend setter for sports games has gone completely backwards and instead of innovating is now pulling back features that were their big sells in 2000-2001. Rammer continues his plunge of this series, I really hope we eventually see change. But apparently this is year 1 of 3 for a new cycle, and year 1 looks like it's going for a more arcade type feel (ironically building an arcade game on top of a "sim" base).
  • IceLion68
    1624 posts Member
    mhandymanb wrote: »
    Defenders have full stick control even when they are skating forward and backward. You can now be skating on the backcheck, holding your stick out behind you to take away passing options for the puck carrier.

I am hopeful because I dont recall this being a big problem when it was in the game before (NHL 14 was it?)

Fingers crossed.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • IceLion68
    1624 posts Member
    This is a new wrinkle right?
  • IceLion68 wrote: »
    mhandymanb wrote: »

I am hopeful because I dont recall this being a big problem when it was in the game before (NHL 14 was it?)

Fingers crossed.

They've never had a "Defensive Skill Stick" in the game before. They have had and still have a 'hold poke check and slowly and unresponsively sweep your stick side to side'. That has been in the game forever and it doesn't cause tripping penalties because no one uses it because it is useless.
  • defensive trip stick

:p
  • "A lot of the stuff we're seeing on a nightly basis right now, if we would have tried to put that stuff in our game 2-3 years ago our core fans would have said, 'This is so arcadey,'" says producer Sean Ramjagsingh. "Now we're seeing that stuff every single night." This means injecting more highlight-reel dekes like one-handed moves, between the legs passes, lofted shots a la Pavel Datsyuk, and back-handed toe drags into the game."

Already worried EA will go overboard with new features as always. Only a select few players in the world successfully complete dekes like he's talking and NO, it is not every single night. Guarantee you puck will still be going through the new "defensive skill stick". They have to let JohnnyDanglez get his rocks off. Disheartening.
  • IceLion68
    1624 posts Member
    defensive trip stick

:p

LOL
  • IceLion68
    1624 posts Member
    guacapoli wrote: »
    "A lot of the stuff we're seeing on a nightly basis right now, if we would have tried to put that stuff in our game 2-3 years ago our core fans would have said, 'This is so arcadey,'" says producer Sean Ramjagsingh. "Now we're seeing that stuff every single night." This means injecting more highlight-reel dekes like one-handed moves, between the legs passes, lofted shots a la Pavel Datsyuk, and back-handed toe drags into the game."

Already worried EA will go overboard with new features as always. Only a select few players in the world successfully complete dekes like he's talking and NO, it is not every single night. Guarantee you puck will still be going through the new "defensive skill stick". They have to let JohnnyDanglez get his rocks off. Disheartening.

I think the ideal would be if that stuff is in the Threes mode and stays there. But that is not how this is reading...
  • I have to say the D skill stick looked pretty nice in the trailer(for the few seconds it was showcased)...
  • guacapoli wrote: »
    "A lot of the stuff we're seeing on a nightly basis right now, if we would have tried to put that stuff in our game 2-3 years ago our core fans would have said, 'This is so arcadey,'" says producer Sean Ramjagsingh. "Now we're seeing that stuff every single night." This means injecting more highlight-reel dekes like one-handed moves, between the legs passes, lofted shots a la Pavel Datsyuk, and back-handed toe drags into the game."

To me the biggest problem is that the dekes are performed with agility that can not be matched by the D. Not to mention that the lack of vision control doesn't allow you to stay squared up to the forwards. We're already seeing 5+ between the legs dangles a game, it sounds like it's just going to get more ridiculous next year. I also really dislike the fact that it's going to be as easy as L1/LB and press a face button to perform the new dekes.
  • Ehhh, I'm not worried about the dekes. Dekes only work if your over aggressive against the player...just let em deke ...and smash him ..or just take the puck from him when the deke animation finishes.
  • Ehhh, I'm not worried about the dekes. Dekes only work if your over aggressive against the player...just let em deke ...and smash him ..or just take the puck from him when the deke animation finishes.

The problem is if EA still has the "get smashed on your **** but still get up fast as hell and regain puck control quicker than the standing dman" is in the game.
  • IceLion68
    1624 posts Member
    Ehhh, I'm not worried about the dekes. Dekes only work if your over aggressive against the player...just let em deke ...and smash him ..or just take the puck from him when the deke animation finishes.

The problem is if EA still has the "get smashed on your **** but still get up fast as **** and regain puck control quicker than the standing dman" is in the game.
    Ya this.
  • "EA is adding "create a mascot" to the creation suite when designing or tweaking your team."

I just....I can't...I really f* can't
  • HandsomeCatf1sh
    1707 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Ehhh, I'm not worried about the dekes. Dekes only work if your over aggressive against the player...just let em deke ...and smash him ..or just take the puck from him when the deke animation finishes.

The problem is if EA still has the "get smashed on your **** but still get up fast as **** and regain puck control quicker than the standing dman" is in the game.
    Yeah they should tweak that part of it
  • kitchener_boy
    354 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    I'm not excited about NHL one handed deke 18! 100% realism or bust! No im serious,the game will be recycled and thats that! Everything is based on skill stick and automatic screens. Let me decide when I want guys crashing the net not EA!. That kind of thing should be as 2k did with a D pad!. Same for Defence. 2K had it right on the ps2 era.
  • kitchener_boy
    354 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Bring it over on P.C. or PSN doesnt charge me to play the crap and EA has a long time customer back.
  • Bring it over on P.C. or PSN doesnt charge me to play the crap and EA has a long time customer back.

So you'll only play a free or pirated copy?