EA Forums - Banner

Still no PC? (pure curiosity)

Prev13
Now I know this is likely unpopular but I am curious as to why there is still not PC version of this game. All I see is a company missing out on potential sales for seemingly no reason. I mean the PC 3d hockey market is wide open and anyone who slots in would likely generate enough sales to make any money back they risked to even bring the game to that platform.

What do I know though, I've only been PC gaming heavily for the past five years and more casually for the past eight. Not trying to start anything just genuinely curious.

Replies

• B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    edited July 2017
    They probably dont see it worth the time/money/resources to invest in vs what they would earn.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • bu..but.. buttt.... bu.. I want hockey... :( been out of the NHL series since 14 and been craving it since they've started releasing retro hockey games on PC but I want something modern, and also the retro games received meh reviews so... waaaaaaaaa ;(
  • Santini3
    477 posts Member
    Shut up, echo. Buy a console solely for NHL so I can form a club with my favorite goalie again!
  • MetalMilitia623
    1464 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    You buy the console and I'll buy the game, only way it will happen. That is until EA plans to embrace the master race! huehuehuehuehuehue

Considering I just dropped a 1080ti into my PC, and have games like Arma 3, Escape from Tarkov, and the like to play. Still doesn't mean I don't miss hockey. That old time hockey game plays like trash, and all I have is Wayne Gretzky 3d hockey 98 which plays way better than that game.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    You buy the console and I'll buy the game, only way it will happen. That is until EA plans to embrace the master race! huehuehuehuehuehue

Considering I just dropped a 1080ti into my PC, and have games like Arma 3, Escape from Tarkov, and the like to play. Still doesn't mean I don't miss hockey. That old time hockey game plays like trash, and all I have is Wayne Gretzky 3d hockey 98 which plays way better than that game.

I can sort of understand where you're coming from. But at the same time, you're basically confirming the reason why you SHOULD be investing in a gaming console. I mean you just put down 800$ on ONE component for your PC (1000$ if your'e in Canada) that's gonna be obsolete in like 1 year when the next gen games come out that will require you to have the next "best" video card to run it properly, in 8K @60fps.

You buy a console for 500$ and you're good for 5 years at least. And unlike PC games, console games get better and better on the SAME hardware over time. The only extra investment in hardware I have to worry about are controllers and batteries.

I do agree that it's a shame EA won't port their sport games over to PC, when PES and NBA 2K still do.
  • Except I was running a 760 for 4 years and could have kept it going but decided I wanted to upgrade. Been running the same mobo/cpu and ram for 7 years with no problems running the top end games at 60fps 1080p which is all my tv can do atm. Need to upgrade into a real monitor instead. Plus most console games are $60, The only time I have paid more than $20 for a game was when I got Escape from Tarkov. With all the bundle sites and different sales and other buying options it may seem costly to get into to start with but the hardware lasts a lot longer than you seem to believe.

I have over 500 games between steam and gog, however if i could somehow see what I paid for them it would be far less than 500 console games, possibly even enough to offset the cost of hardware.

This is what makes gaming great however. You think it is more cost effective to buy a console, I do not. Guess what? Neither one of us are wrong. Consoles exist for the same reason gaming PC's do. People like to be able to chose what suits them. I didn't like the direction consoles were going so after the 360 started to die I switched to PC. You did like that direction and you stuck with it.

I'm not going to say consoles are in anyway a bad gaming platform I just don't see why they wouldn't want to open up the opportunity for many many more sales. Plus they could do cross platform like rocket league does and pubg plans to do.

Oh and my GPU makes it very easy to do lots of cool cad/cam stuff. I just prefer the versatility a PC offers me over that of a console. For those who like the simplicity and plug and play ability of a console I will hands down tell them a PC is not for you. You will have to play with settings and this and that to make some games run well if using older hardware. That said my 4 year old 760 was running gta V, crysis, and arma 3 at 1080p between 30-70 fps, with mostly high settings.

tl;dr: to each their own, I prefer PC over consoles. Likely most here prefer consoles over PC. These are opinions and neither is better than the other.
  • PC destroys consoles. I would love to play NHL on PC. I own all the consoles because I am a hardcore gamer and don't want to miss out on the exclusives, but PC is my primary platform. Consoles are redundant and a waste of money. I wish all games were on PC.
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    If it's untapped there's a reason why it's untapped. Someone in EA knows something we dont.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    Except I was running a 760 for 4 years and could have kept it going but decided I wanted to upgrade. Been running the same mobo/cpu and ram for 7 years with no problems running the top end games at 60fps 1080p which is all my tv can do atm. Need to upgrade into a real monitor instead. Plus most console games are $60, The only time I have paid more than $20 for a game was when I got Escape from Tarkov. With all the bundle sites and different sales and other buying options it may seem costly to get into to start with but the hardware lasts a lot longer than you seem to believe.

I have over 500 games between steam and gog, however if i could somehow see what I paid for them it would be far less than 500 console games, possibly even enough to offset the cost of hardware.

This is what makes gaming great however. You think it is more cost effective to buy a console, I do not. Guess what? Neither one of us are wrong. Consoles exist for the same reason gaming PC's do. People like to be able to chose what suits them. I didn't like the direction consoles were going so after the 360 started to die I switched to PC. You did like that direction and you stuck with it.

I'm not going to say consoles are in anyway a bad gaming platform I just don't see why they wouldn't want to open up the opportunity for many many more sales. Plus they could do cross platform like rocket league does and pubg plans to do.

Oh and my GPU makes it very easy to do lots of cool cad/cam stuff. I just prefer the versatility a PC offers me over that of a console. For those who like the simplicity and plug and play ability of a console I will hands down tell them a PC is not for you. You will have to play with settings and this and that to make some games run well if using older hardware. That said my 4 year old 760 was running gta V, crysis, and arma 3 at 1080p between 30-70 fps, with mostly high settings.

tl;dr: to each their own, I prefer PC over consoles. Likely most here prefer consoles over PC. These are opinions and neither is better than the other.

Yeah, I'm not gonna disagree that PC gaming simply looks and (when you have the appropriate hardware) performs better.

But now a days, you simply NEED to have both a PC and a gaming Console to experience gaming to its fullest. Sometimes it's not just about having the highest resolution or the smoothest FPS, it's about having access to as many great games as you can.

If you just own one or the other, you're missing out.

My 2 pesos, amigo...
  • Am I really missing out on that much? Do consoles have games like Escape from Tarkov, Verdun, Audiosurf, Red Orchestra, Wargame, BeamNG.Drive, Golf with your Friends, Legend of Grimrock, Mount and Blade, Overgrowth, Spintires, Squad, Arma, Tabletop Sim?

Exclusives go both ways and I'd be willing to bet console gamers are missing more exciting exclusive titles than PC gamers. My whole thing is for the most part anything from EA, Ubisoft, Activision and Take-Two is not very enticing. It's very cookie cutter and samey. Now that said NHL on PC I would buy because there's no option for anything else.

However, I see no reason to own both a PC and console and I'd rather spend money I could have spent on a console on a rifle instead, which I literally just did...

Oh I also forgot to mention the GM only sports titles for those who enjoy that aspect of the sport without bothering with all that 3d and participating in each game of the season stuff.

I just see many more options on PC than on consoles and to have both would bring too much overlap. Really in 2017 there is no reason to not release any given game on all platforms. Rocket League is on all of them and has cross platform play, PUBG is planning cross platform play when it launches on Xbone. I just don't really see why EA is shying away from that action. I see the millions of customers on PC with no option for modern 3D hockey, might not outsell the console version but i just can't see the cost of putting it on PC outweighing any potential sales, I just can't fathom that.
  • BassMan_PC
    355 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    I used to buy NHL on PC, but then EA killed the series when they started half-assing the games with the last gen engine. So, I switched to 360. EA sabotaged the series on PC and then they say it does not sell. Go figure. Then they go and cancel it. EA is the worst.

There is no legit reason not to release it on PC. PC gaming is bigger than it has ever been. The game is developed on PC and the consoles use the same x86 architecture. It would require minimal effort.
  • What about Gamecast?!?!?!?!!
  • BassMan_PC wrote: »
    I used to buy NHL on PC, but then EA killed the series when they started half-assing the games with the last gen engine. So, I switched to 360. EA sabotaged the series on PC and then they say it does not sell. Go figure. Then they go and cancel it. EA is the worst.

There is no legit reason not to release it on PC. PC gaming is bigger than it has ever been. The game is developed on PC and the consoles use the same x86 architecture. It would require minimal effort.

Very much agreed. And just like OP said, there is no reason to limit customers options.

To the bolded: You mean Xbone and PS4 are not x64 computers? Where did you find that out?
  • Is Verdun worth the $5 it's on sale for?
  • Is Verdun worth the $5 it's on sale for?

Yea, it most certainly is. Really cool game.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    BassMan_PC wrote: »

PC and Console gaming use the same x86 architecture, but the biggest difference is that consoles share the same hardware config (per platform) while PC's can have a million configs. When it comes time to optimize a game, it's a lot easier to do it for consoles than for PC.

@MetalMilitia623

I'm not too big on indie games, but I know there are quite a few that are on console that you'll never see on PC.

And most importantly, NHL 18 (or it's sequels) will never see the light of day on PC. Ever. EEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEER!

But here you are longing to play a game, on a forum BUILT for that game, yet you refuse to buy a console to play that game.

Oh but, you'd buy a RIFLE! Hope EA makes NHL 19 for your Rifle next year...

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'd LOOOOOVE if EA's NHL were on PC. I used to love to mod the game with realistic shirts, arenas, goal horns, etc. I think EA should definitely bring the game over to PC. My argument is simply that they WON'T and it's DUMB for someone to want to play the game and NOT have a gaming console, going as far as REFUSING to get one even though they know it'll never be ported to PC.
  • Yea I may want to play the NHL series but not enough to buy a console. Actually I want to play is less than I want to have a firearm to take to ranges and other places to do some sport shooting. I am just letting EA know that if they ever wanted to put it on PC there's likely more people like me that would pick it up due to the fact there's no other options.

I don't see any reason for me to own a console as I don't see the investment returning enough enjoyment to be worth it. Where with the rifle I know I will get my monies worth out of it. Same thing with when I bought my 1080ti. Sure these things cost more than a console but to me they will return that cost to me in terms of my enjoyment using them.

So yea I want to play the NHL series again but I also want to own a rifle and go sport shooting and I want to play the 500+ pc games I own before I'd go out and buy a console. See I got banned from here at one point because I used to bash EA and anyone who thought EA wasn't awful. Now I have respect for the developers while having little to none for corporate.

You just seem to think that the monetary value of something is all that matter when that is the least important part. The amount of fun you get from that item is what matters and I've had consoles all my life starting with the N64 and while at one time I got lots of joy from them these days I find myself getting more enjoyment from frolfing and shooting than playing video games all the time.
  • It might have something to do with origin. It can't be that expensive or hard to make a pc port for Steam when all of the small rugby games that come on console are also on Steam. EA is just a baffling company somethings.
  • Get NHL09. problem solved.

• I would rather just hook up my N64 and play wayne gretzky 3d hockey 98, or NHL 99. Or use my emulator but I think WG3H'98 doesn't work right on .rom.