EA Forums - Banner

What needs to be changed for Goalie in NHL 18

Prev13
Don't get me wrong, goalie IMO is the best position ever and I'll never give it up. There aren't a whole lotta things wrong with the Goalie position, however there are things that need tweaking. Feel free to discuss below on what you think and what could possibly be changed for NHL 18. Now I do realize that it's a little late for major changes to the game considering we are closing in on the beta, but these ideas could apply to possibly NHL 19.

Precision Speed
Now the tweaks to precision speed have been going in the right direction. I don't want an update that make the goalie super speedy, because then it become overpowered and it defeats the purpose of precision. It's clear that NHL 18 is going for a faster game style, so it would be nice if goalies were given a SMALL speed buff to at least attempt to keep up with the ridiculous moves that we are gonna have to suffer through this year.

Random Post Hugging
I actually think I'm in an extremely small minority here. But have you ever had a scramble in front of your net when no one can get possession and the other team somehow gets a shot off? Well for some stupid reason, when that happens, there's a chance that the game will automatically put you on the post for no apparent reason. And no, trust me, I'm not hitting the hold post button, it seriously just happens for no reason. I found someone else who has experienced this as well, so this is actually something that happens. https://www.reddit.com/r/EANHLGoalie/comments/69utbz/anyone_else_getting_forced_into_posthug_randomly/

Hugging Post...Not Actually on the Post
EA supposedly fixed this, however it is still very well in the game. The situation I find that this happens most, is when my goalie catches left handed, faceoff is to your left in your zone, and you hit the RVH buttons immediately. You will do the post hug animation, but in the middle of the ice. I don't think I personally have ever given up a goal because of it, however it's very annoying and has no place in this game. It does happen a lot less than it used to, like when the game came out, it happened ALL THE TIME. But, EA did partially fix it, however it still needs to be looked at.

Goalie Cutscenes
They have these in BAP which is pretty cool, but I'd like these for EASHL. If you've never reached one of these in BAP, it's basically the same as the skater cutscenes in EASHL, however it's a little different, and obviously more goalie oriented. It'd be cool to see a cutscene for your 100th win or 100th SO (grats to you if you actually hit that LOL).

More/Better Goalie Stances
No matter how much you all complain, I can very confidently assure you goalie stances have no effect on what saves you make and your movement speed. The lower stances feel slower, but you are actually covering the same amount of net as someone with a more upright stance, and those feel faster. We got 40 new stances this year, but some were for sure more popular than others. For example, 8, 16 and 26 were the top used and 2, 18 and 35 were the least used. (Based off of my own research). I myself am a firm believer of stance 41 (Tuukka Rask) but it feels like a lot of stances are going unused just because they dont look cool and they feel sluggish. It'd be cool to get more stances, or make them all at least feel the same speed, because stance 26 really does feel terribly slow.

I know I'm probably forgetting a few main points, but this is the list I have now, and lemme know your opinions as well!

Replies

• I've been saying it for years, but reflex saves need to be user based instead of automatic. The fact that half of the position is AI based just takes a huge chunk of skill away from it and makes it extremely unrewarding in my opinion.

It's like if I went to play Halo/Battlefield/COD etc. and all I had to do was move my character around while the game would aim and shoot for me...there's a reason successful competitive games don't take this approach.
  • SilentCricket26
    97 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    precision doesn't need a boost in speed. T push needs a complete overhaul. Right now it's slow and clunky and rarely gets you across the crease for shots. Precision is to follow the puck carrier around your crease not for reposition on passes. If you can't follow the skater as of now, your not doing it right. When I'm close to you should be using Butterfly + L2 an+ L1 on BA and close quick shots. Could it be slightly better? Sure, but it's T Push movements that EA should be looking at not precision. 90% of all Goalies are back line Goalies relying on poor angle shots, EA reflex system and most of all their 5 skaters to protect their poor position. Poor position because most don't know how to use Butterfly +L1 and because L2 is terrible. So if your at the top of the crease and L2 doesn't help at all to t push over to the other side. Why bother being at the top. May as well play deep and precision over and allow EA reflexes to kick in. Why you think that first goalie tuner was so terrible. Goalies play poor positioning styles because they have no way of getting over quick enough on skaters who instantly pass the puck / auto one time. T push is to slow and clunky to truely use for any play involving a pass. Which is the maneuver all Goalies should be using to reposition themselves on a pass not precision. Precision is for following one guy with the puck while maintaining your angles. T push to reposition when a pass is made. Sorry for the long rant but many goalies keep talking about precision speed and they're flat out wrong. It's T push every goalie should be complaining about.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    The biggest problem with the goaltending in EA's NHL is that it is NOT based on positioning as it should be. Look at your Ratings at the end of a game. If you're a good goalie, you'll likely see your position rating somewhere in the high 80's, low 90's percentage. So why does your SAVE RATING not reflect this. How can a goalie have 85% Positioning, but 40-50% saves?? I've had it once where I had 92% In POSITION but 32% Saves... It's ridiculous!! Because the other team took 6 shots and scored 3 times, one of them was the puck hit my trapper, then just magically bounced off my d-man's back and into the net.

Positioning is everything for a goalie. If a goalie is in position, 9 times out of 10 it's a save. That means that in a normal game where there's 25 shots, there should be 2-3 goals scored. Yet in this game we can be in the best position possible, but "Goalie's gotta get sniped" and we give up 3 goals on 5 shots. We don't have control of our limbs, unfortunately that's the game's responsibility, all we can do is be in the correct spot in our crease to block out as much of the net as possible.

Another problem with the game is how easy it is for forwards with the puck to break the game's own mechanics (like the physics). Holding the puck out to go into a "glide" state is akin to bending The Matrix. And sadly the goalies are not equipped to be able to do much against them. Shooting from a 178° from the goal line beats the goalie clean, hitting the opposite post perfectly and into the net. Most players don't even bother skating towards the net anymore, just skate away and once you hit the goal line, fire a shot. PING! Nothing the goalies can do about it except overplay the shot and hope they don't pass it into the slot.

Lastly, like @SilentCricket26 said, the t-pushes, butterfly saves (L1/LT if you're on alt controls) and the desperation saves are completely erratic. Sometimes I simply tap to the side and want a controlled slide to the middle of the net, but I get a huge push that sends me flying completely out of the crease. Other times I need to make a huge slide from post to post to make a desperation save, but my goalies gets stuck 2 feet into the slide and leaves the net wide open. We need to be able to control our slides and saves with much more precision. Taps should give us short controlled slides, holding the input should give us longer slides that could potentially take us out of position and be harder to come back from as the inertia from the bigger push would be harder to counter.

Then there's of course all the weirdness and bugs in the game, like the puck covers, post hugging, the cross-grain shots, the awful blocker save animations (no goalie would ever swing their blocker that way, and if your Mo-Cap goalie did that, fire him and get a new one, pls), useless belly flop trapper save that stops you dead in your tracks even if you initiate a big slide, pucks going through your chest, pucks going under floating goalie pads, etc...

There's still a lot of stuff left on the table to make the goalies "competitive" in this series. Right now we're slightly better than glorified door stops and we need to rely heavily on our teammates to win games. A good goalie should be able to win some games by himself and that's just not possible. Not in NHL 17 and I fear it won't be possible in NHL 18 either.

But we'll see...
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    The biggest problem with the goaltending in EA's NHL is that it is NOT based on positioning as it should be. Look at your Ratings at the end of a game. If you're a good goalie, you'll likely see your position rating somewhere in the high 80's, low 90's percentage. So why does your SAVE RATING not reflect this. How can a goalie have 85% Positioning, but 40-50% saves?? I've had it once where I had 92% In POSITION but 32% Saves... It's ridiculous!! Because the other team took 6 shots and scored 3 times, one of them was the puck hit my trapper, then just magically bounced off my d-man's back and into the net.

Positioning is everything for a goalie. If a goalie is in position, 9 times out of 10 it's a save. That means that in a normal game where there's 25 shots, there should be 2-3 goals scored. Yet in this game we can be in the best position possible, but "Goalie's gotta get sniped" and we give up 3 goals on 5 shots. We don't have control of our limbs, unfortunately that's the game's responsibility, all we can do is be in the correct spot in our crease to block out as much of the net as possible.

Another problem with the game is how easy it is for forwards with the puck to break the game's own mechanics (like the physics). Holding the puck out to go into a "glide" state is akin to bending The Matrix. And sadly the goalies are not equipped to be able to do much against them. Shooting from a 178° from the goal line beats the goalie clean, hitting the opposite post perfectly and into the net. Most players don't even bother skating towards the net anymore, just skate away and once you hit the goal line, fire a shot. PING! Nothing the goalies can do about it except overplay the shot and hope they don't pass it into the slot.

Lastly, like @SilentCricket26 said, the t-pushes, butterfly saves (L1/LT if you're on alt controls) and the desperation saves are completely erratic. Sometimes I simply tap to the side and want a controlled slide to the middle of the net, but I get a huge push that sends me flying completely out of the crease. Other times I need to make a huge slide from post to post to make a desperation save, but my goalies gets stuck 2 feet into the slide and leaves the net wide open. We need to be able to control our slides and saves with much more precision. Taps should give us short controlled slides, holding the input should give us longer slides that could potentially take us out of position and be harder to come back from as the inertia from the bigger push would be harder to counter.

Then there's of course all the weirdness and bugs in the game, like the puck covers, post hugging, the cross-grain shots, the awful blocker save animations (no goalie would ever swing their blocker that way, and if your Mo-Cap goalie did that, fire him and get a new one, pls), useless belly flop trapper save that stops you dead in your tracks even if you initiate a big slide, pucks going through your chest, pucks going under floating goalie pads, etc...

There's still a lot of stuff left on the table to make the goalies "competitive" in this series. Right now we're slightly better than glorified door stops and we need to rely heavily on our teammates to win games. A good goalie should be able to win some games by himself and that's just not possible. Not in NHL 17 and I fear it won't be possible in NHL 18 either.

But we'll see...

I agree with all of this, especially the windmill desperation auto save when it goes off the blocker, and 7 x out of 10 the goalie will actually knock it back into the net even if it was going to miss.

Another problem is the sharp angle shots where the goalies unrealistically use their pads to make the save when in real life they would angle the stick and make the rebound goto the corner or pop up in the air making the rebound harder. as it stands now "far angle shot 178 degrees the goalie goes butterfly and puck goes off the toe or mid pad but rebound ends up in front of the net and opposing team has someone crashing and its a goal.

But we'll see...

1. All it is saying is that you are in good position, however you just didn't save it. They are completely separate.
    2. You basically confirmed my point, not everytime that you are in position will you make the save. And they do have to be sniped, because goalies in 16 were OP
    3. This isn't a skater mechanic, rather than you just playing the shot poorly. A general rule I like to us is that if theyll below the circle at a weird angle, hug the post. You will save it 99/100 times
    4. It's a feature to help you stop one timers. You can't complain since they made that a thing because we complained about one timers so much.
    5. Again, you're just not playing the shot correctly
    6. Kinda agree with you here
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited July 2017

1. All it is saying is that you are in good position, however you just didn't save it. They are completely separate.
    2. You basically confirmed my point, not everytime that you are in position will you make the save. And they do have to be sniped, because goalies in 16 were OP
    3. This isn't a skater mechanic, rather than you just playing the shot poorly. A general rule I like to us is that if theyll below the circle at a weird angle, hug the post. You will save it 99/100 times
    4. It's a feature to help you stop one timers. You can't complain since they made that a thing because we complained about one timers so much.

1. Exactly. If I'm in good position, I should make the save. In real life, if I'm in good position, I make the save 9 times out of 10. That means my save percentage is .900 (or more). In this game the average goalie has about .700, which means in this game, goalies let in TWICE the amount of goals they should, even when they're in good position, which doesn't make sense if you want your game to be "balanced". So if I'm in position 90% of the time, my save rating should be 80-90%. If I'm in position 50%, my save rating should be 40-50%.

2. That's ludicrous! First of all, the goalies were way worse in 16 than 17. Second, as I explained in the first point, if goalies were getting scored on once, or let's say TWICE every ten shots, that would be acceptable. But that's not what's happening in NHL 17. Goalies will get scored 3 or 4 times on every 10 shots, whether they're in position or not. That's not how a goalie is supposed to work in Hockey. Not by a long shot. If you believe that, then you don't know the fundamental aspects of being a goalie.

3. No, that's a problem with the lateral acceleration of a player with the puck, which has already been acknowledged by the developer. Not only do they have range with the stick to get around the goalie, but they can swing back and forth really fast and without penalty to their skating when they enter a "glide state". As a goalie in this game you simply can't keep up with that as you can't slide left, cancel mid slide and immediately go the other way like the shooter can.

4. The complaint about one-timers was that they were too easy to pull off and too accurate. Players that can charge a 120 Mph pass that a shooter can connect with perfectly and lodge the puck with pinpoint accuracy, even when they're 5 feet away from a pass? Yeah, that's a little OP. But that's not even the problem, the problem is that the LT/RT (Butterfly/Desperation) mechanic is erratic and doesn't make sense most of the time. Again, if the other team sets up for a cross crease one timer and I use the RS to make a desperation slide, I'll get a small butterfly slide which stops mid crease leaving the entire far side exposed. Yet if I use the same RS input to preemptively slide across the goal mouth, i'll get a huge push and slide that takes me out of position. Why? Same input, two wildly different results. That can't be happening. Goalie commands should be much less erratic.

5. "Playing the shot correctly" in this game is highly suggestive. Because even if I am in good position to stop a shot, "Goalies gotta get sniped". A good goalie is supposed to concentrate on stopping the shot, not concentrate on the pass or one-timer threat. But in this game you simply have to do both, and that's wrong.

There's also the issue with everything we do being incredibly slow and sluggish. Covering the puck is slow. Hugging the post is slow. Coming off the posts is slow. Recovering from a save is slow. Getting back into position after coming out to play errant pucks is slow. Sliding from post to post is slow. Save animations where we have to reach to make a save are SLOW (thanks to one of the last updates that put that in there to combat goal line goalies).

Everything the human goalies do in this game is SLOW compared to the accelerated speed of the game and the skaters with the puck.

1. Exactly. If I'm in good position, I should make the save. In real life, if I'm in good position, I make the save 9 times out of 10. That means my save percentage is .900 (or more). In this game the average goalie has about .700, which means in this game, goalies let in TWICE the amount of goals they should, even when they're in good position, which doesn't make sense if you want your game to be "balanced". So if I'm in position 90% of the time, my save rating should be 80-90%. If I'm in position 50%, my save rating should be 40-50%.

2. That's ludicrous! First of all, the goalies were way worse in 16 than 17. Second, as I explained in the first point, if goalies were getting scored on once, or let's say TWICE every ten shots, that would be acceptable. But that's not what's happening in NHL 17. Goalies will get scored 3 or 4 times on every 10 shots, whether they're in position or not. That's not how a goalie is supposed to work in Hockey. Not by a long shot. If you believe that, then you don't know the fundamental aspects of being a goalie.

3. No, that's a problem with the lateral acceleration of a player with the puck, which has already been acknowledged by the developer. Not only do they have range with the stick to get around the goalie, but they can swing back and forth really fast and without penalty to their skating when they enter a "glide state". As a goalie in this game you simply can't keep up with that as you can't slide left, cancel mid slide and immediately go the other way like the shooter can.

4. The complaint about one-timers was that they were too easy to pull off and too accurate. Players that can charge a 120 Mph pass that a shooter can connect with perfectly and lodge the puck with pinpoint accuracy, even when they're 5 feet away from a pass? Yeah, that's a little OP. But that's not even the problem, the problem is that the LT/RT (Butterfly/Desperation) mechanic is erratic and doesn't make sense most of the time. Again, if the other team sets up for a cross crease one timer and I use the RS to make a desperation slide, I'll get a small butterfly slide which stops mid crease leaving the entire far side exposed. Yet if I use the same RS input to preemptively slide across the goal mouth, i'll get a huge push and slide that takes me out of position. Why? Same input, two wildly different results. That can't be happening. Goalie commands should be much less erratic.

5. "Playing the shot correctly" in this game is highly suggestive. Because even if I am in good position to stop a shot, "Goalies gotta get sniped". A good goalie is supposed to concentrate on stopping the shot, not concentrate on the pass or one-timer threat. But in this game you simply have to do both, and that's wrong.

There's also the issue with everything we do being incredibly slow and sluggish. Covering the puck is slow. Hugging the post is slow. Coming off the posts is slow. Recovering from a save is slow. Getting back into position after coming out to play errant pucks is slow. Sliding from post to post is slow. Save animations where we have to reach to make a save are SLOW (thanks to one of the last updates that put that in there to combat goal line goalies).

Everything the human goalies do in this game is SLOW compared to the accelerated speed of the game and the skaters with the puck.

Exactly. The saddest part about this game is in order to be great at it, you don't play the position correctly. You sit back further in your net and don't cut off angles, you don't track the puck as it moves across, you don't hug the posts (because if a pass goes across, the animation to get off of the posts is soooooo slowwwww), you don't go into butterfly post hugs on every wrap around (only the threatening ones because lord knows properly positioning your stick when the puck is behind the net still isn't in this game), etc. etc.

Real good goalies (in real life who play like real life) let in soooo many terrible goals and garbage goalies who stay on goal lines except for certain situations are rewarded far more. A terrible goalie with good defense is more likely to have success over a good goalie with good defense because sadly you have to cheat on plays to be successful in this game. You don't even have to read plays like you used to anymore.

I'm so bloody tired of seeing terrible goalies who are pulling out wicked glove and blocker saves from the wrong side of the net all of the time, but the goalie who actually slides over and gets body on the play has one squeak through pads or bounce off of equipment and in. It's so counter intuitive. I've seen the worst goalies who literally take a half second slower than every other goalie steal games because EA just goes into "Ah, you're just gonna save this one" mode.

I got robbed the other day deking a goalie who went to the wrong side of the net (full commitment) and then knew he was out of position, hit down and square to go into spread eagle and my backhand shot hits the upper half of the net near the corner (not dead corner but definitely upper third) and a goalie sprawled out on his belly somehow becomes a contortionist and splays his left shoulder off of the ice like three feet for an amazing glove save. You try doing that. If you're lucky and you have a long enough wingspan maybe 2 feet at most is achievable. Yet, EA just wanted that save to happen.

They need to find a way to include some type of rebound control in this game so that good goalies don't constantly get penalized for being in great position and learn how to punish those who sit on the line all game. They should force you to come out to the top of your crease and make snipes actual snipes, not just regular shots all of the time and add some realism into this game.

I stopped playing goalie because it's absolute trash this year and they refuse to make the minor fixes necessary to make use of a fairly decent goaltending engine.

1. It's basically saying like hey good job being in position, now stop the freakin puck. They SHOULD be around each other, but thats not how it works.
    2. Dunno bout you but I don't let in 3-4 goals every 10 shots. I've played against the AI, Humans, against Div1 players against Div 10 players, but I still don't give up 4 goals on 10 shots. That's the part that's ludicrous. And TBH, 16 was kinda better for goalies.
    3. And tell me, what real life goalie have you seen consistently save that? A goalie isn't supposed to keep up with a skater. Hell, theyre not even supposed to be track the skater to make the save. Someone skating forwards is obviously going to be faster than someone with heavy gear on that is shuffling from side to side. If it's that big of a problem, the RS is there dude
    4. If they're 5 feet away from each other, then you're already in position, why tf are you complaining? And yes, the RS can be unpredictable at times, but it only stops when the shot is coming. The animation will not just randomly stop just because. They would have to try and code that into the game just for it to happen. If it's that bad of a problem, use the pad stack or the dirty birdy desperation save.
    5. In what world is a goalie not thinking about a one timer or pass? If you play like this, it's called tunnel vision and you need to stop. Just taking a half a second to locate all players on the ice, you will make a LOT more one timer saves because the pass wont surprise you. If a guy passes and one times it in, you can't just say "Oh well yknow its a onetimer it's not my fault my defense should have blocked the passing lane and the shot lane but it's not my fault for not stopping it." You have some responsibility. The only plays where it is absolutely not your fault 100% of the time are like 3 on 0s.

Covering the puck is fast enough. Hugging the post is not slow. Coming off the post is not slow. Recovering I'll admit is a little sluggish, but it's not impossible to recover. Getting back in position is not slow (hint: use the t-push, it works fine) Post to post is not slow. The last point about slow save animations for reaching, youre just spittin **** now. You said it yourself, it's to combat goal line goalies. It's not fair when youre playing legit and they sit on their **** not moving right? And you basically reassured this by saying "If I'm in good position, I should make the save." So what if youre not in position? Then you shouldn't make the save, right? I don't see what the complaint is.
  • They need to find a way to include some type of rebound control in this game so that good goalies don't constantly get penalized for being in great position and learn how to punish those who sit on the line all game. They should force you to come out to the top of your crease and make snipes actual snipes, not just regular shots all of the time and add some realism into this game.

I agree with other stuff you said, but there is a way to actually have rebound control. If it's say a two on and buddy shoots at your pads for a rebound. You could give up the rebound and goal and sit there moping about how the game is **** and EA blah blah blah, or you could move back ever so slightly right as the puck is about to hit you. Boom. Only 1/20 will it actually create a large enough rebound for a scoring chance
  • barrett098
    428 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    -Precision speed slider (like the pass assist one)
    -Better/smoother post hugging and getting off post
    -Better animations during wraps
    -New puck cover animations
    -Better save animation logic...especially on blocker side (I see goalies try to do windmill high glove animation on wrap around)
    -Get rid of that mini auto poke check goalie does non stop if the puck is kinda near u but behind the net, you get stuck in that auto mini poke check animation while they do a wrap
    -Better rebound control, ability to push rebounds to the sides on easy shots from the point instead of pushing it right into a stick of incoming opposing player even if your defender is right there..scripted ****
    -Quicker puck cover animations, ability to cover puck even if goalie sitting or laying down
    -Faster precision off butterfly slides
    -Smoother t-pushes
    -Get rid of the starting animation for most slides or pushes... get rid of that dumb leg kick animation goalie goes into bc its "realistic"
    -Smoother non clunky goalie movements
    -Better blocker high animations (get rid of the upwards karate chop animation)
    -Reduce skaters lateral acceleration or make t-pushes consistent to keep up with skaters full speed lateral movement
    -Better save coverage range on RS slide desperation saves
    -Make goalie movements fast n smooth enough where on breakaways shadowing the skater till they make the first move is more effective than dive poking checking like a goof
    -Reduce screen effect on goalies or reduce deflection accuracy
    -Fix goalies getting stuck or hugging the invisible post middle of net when they camera is panning out, make goalie movements completely independent from camera moving
    -Get rid of the force field when you are near the goal post without hugging it, even if it means clipping through the post
    -Fire Rammer

None of this will happen bc there is a 100 page thread will all these feedback and more for NHL 17, and based on what we seen so far goalies look the EXACT same for NHL 18. Forwards and defense got more tools while goalies exact same when goalies were the ones that needed changes the most. These devs are clueless including Ben.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    I was going to respond again, but then I saw this:
    And TBH, 16 was kinda better for goalies.

Yeah... So now I know responding is a useless endeavour. Moving on...

1. It's basically saying like hey good job being in position, now stop the freakin puck. They SHOULD be around each other, but thats not how it works.
    2. Dunno bout you but I don't let in 3-4 goals every 10 shots. I've played against the AI, Humans, against Div1 players against Div 10 players, but I still don't give up 4 goals on 10 shots. That's the part that's ludicrous. And TBH, 16 was kinda better for goalies.
    3. And tell me, what real life goalie have you seen consistently save that? A goalie isn't supposed to keep up with a skater. ****, theyre not even supposed to be track the skater to make the save. Someone skating forwards is obviously going to be faster than someone with heavy gear on that is shuffling from side to side. If it's that big of a problem, the RS is there dude
    4. If they're 5 feet away from each other, then you're already in position, why tf are you complaining? And yes, the RS can be unpredictable at times, but it only stops when the shot is coming. The animation will not just randomly stop just because. They would have to try and code that into the game just for it to happen. If it's that bad of a problem, use the pad stack or the dirty birdy desperation save.
    5. In what world is a goalie not thinking about a one timer or pass? If you play like this, it's called tunnel vision and you need to stop. Just taking a half a second to locate all players on the ice, you will make a LOT more one timer saves because the pass wont surprise you. If a guy passes and one times it in, you can't just say "Oh well yknow its a onetimer it's not my fault my defense should have blocked the passing lane and the shot lane but it's not my fault for not stopping it." You have some responsibility. The only plays where it is absolutely not your fault 100% of the time are like 3 on 0s.

Covering the puck is fast enough. Hugging the post is not slow. Coming off the post is not slow. Recovering I'll admit is a little sluggish, but it's not impossible to recover. Getting back in position is not slow (hint: use the t-push, it works fine) Post to post is not slow. The last point about slow save animations for reaching, youre just spittin **** now. You said it yourself, it's to combat goal line goalies. It's not fair when youre playing legit and they sit on their **** not moving right? And you basically reassured this by saying "If I'm in good position, I should make the save." So what if youre not in position? Then you shouldn't make the save, right? I don't see what the complaint is.

This must be a troll post or from an offensive player that wants goalies to stay limited as they are now. :smirk:

I consider myself one of the better goalies in this game and at least once or twice a game I let in a goal due to the goalie mechanics being too slow.

• barrett098 wrote: »
    -Precision speed slider (like the pass assist one)
    -Better/smoother post hugging and getting off post
    -Better animations during wraps
    -New puck cover animations
    -Better save animation logic...especially on blocker side (I see goalies try to do windmill high glove animation on wrap around)
    -Get rid of that mini auto poke check goalie does non stop if the puck is kinda near u but behind the net, you get stuck in that auto mini poke check animation while they do a wrap
    -Better rebound control, ability to push rebounds to the sides on easy shots from the point instead of pushing it right into a stick of incoming opposing player even if your defender is right there..scripted ****
    -Quicker puck cover animations, ability to cover puck even if goalie sitting or laying down
    -Faster precision off butterfly slides
    -Smoother t-pushes
    -Get rid of the starting animation for most slides or pushes... get rid of that dumb leg kick animation goalie goes into bc its "realistic"
    -Smoother non clunky goalie movements
    -Better blocker high animations (get rid of the upwards karate chop animation)
    -Reduce skaters lateral acceleration or make t-pushes consistent to keep up with skaters full speed lateral movement
    -Better save coverage range on RS slide desperation saves
    -Make goalie movements fast n smooth enough where on breakaways shadowing the skater till they make the first move is more effective than dive poking checking like a goof
    -Reduce screen effect on goalies or reduce deflection accuracy
    -Fix goalies getting stuck or hugging the invisible post middle of net when they camera is panning out, make goalie movements completely independent from camera moving
    -Get rid of the force field when you are near the goal post without hugging it, even if it means clipping through the post
    -Fire Rammer

None of this will happen bc there is a 100 page thread will all these feedback and more for NHL 17, and based on what we seen so far goalies look the EXACT same for NHL 18. Forwards and defense got more tools while goalies exact same when goalies were the ones that needed changes the most. These devs are clueless including Ben.

I like some of these. oh, and nice profile picture, whered ya get it from? xD
    I was going to respond again, but then I saw this:
    And TBH, 16 was kinda better for goalies.

Yeah... So now I know responding is a useless endeavour. Moving on...

I believe it was, saves were made more consistently
  • mhandymanb wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

3. And tell me, what real life goalie have you seen consistently save that? A goalie isn't supposed to keep up with a skater. ****, theyre not even supposed to be track the skater to make the save. Someone skating forwards is obviously going to be faster than someone with heavy gear on that is shuffling from side to side. If it's that big of a problem, the RS is there dude

This must be a troll post or from an offensive player that wants goalies to stay limited as they are now. :smirk:

I consider myself one of the better goalies in this game and at least once or twice a game I let in a goal due to the goalie mechanics being too slow.

Or your reaction time sucks. Didn't know the term "better goalies in this game" was a term we were throwing around now
  • mhandymanb wrote: »

Or your reaction time ****. Didn't know the term "better goalies in this game" was a term we were throwing around now

I follow the play and anticipate quite well actually. It's the goalie that simply reacts and moves too slow, especially laterally.

When I and many others consider myself one of the "better goalies in the game" that isn't throwing anything around.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Or your reaction time ****. Didn't know the term "better goalies in this game" was a term we were throwing around now

You DO know that most of the saves a human does as a goalie in this game is NOT even the human initiating them, right? The game will often assist the human because there's simply no time to react, at the speed the game is played on top of having to deal with online delay. And even the ones where we can press the save button in time, we are not the ones choosing what limbs to move, where or in what fashion.

So when I'm standing square to the shooter, when he releases a shot towards me and my goalie goes into the "Karate Chop" blocker swing, that's not me deciding what animation I get.

But you're such an expert on goalies, I'm sure you knew that, right?

giphy.gif

• barrett098
    428 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    mhandymanb wrote: »

this guy is a troll, people hate him LG. he made a post on there recently about how he changed and wanna make friends now lol. the fact that he thinks 16 was better than 17 for goalies shows how dumb he is. also goes on about he never lets in 4 goals in 10 shots or whaever he said to venoms reply, i seen this guy play he is utter trash...pretty sure he couldnt even make into chl in lg.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    barrett098 wrote: »
    this guy is a troll, people hate him LG. he made a post on there recently about how he changed and wanna make friends now lol. the fact that he thinks 16 was better than 17 for goalies shows how dumb he is. also goes on about he never lets in 4 goals in 10 shots or whaever he said to venoms reply, i seen this guy play he is utter trash...pretty sure he couldnt even make into chl in lg.

To be fair, maybe he's just played on some really bad teams. And he's on the PSN side too, so... :p

I did check out a few replays of him playing Goalie, and he seems to play really deep in his net and relies on the auto-saves a lot, which explains why he prefers NHL 16 goalies to NHL 17, especially after the two big patches that made it hard to just sit on your goal line and pick off top corner shots all game.

He also uses the top-down camera angle, which... I can understand if you're a player, but a goalie???? C'mon dude...

Oh and btw, our friend lets in about 1 goal every 4.5 shots (on average). Which means he's good for a GAA of high 3.xx, low 4.xx at best. Sounds about right.
    barrett098 wrote: »

To be fair, maybe he's just played on some really bad teams. And he's on the PSN side too, so... :p

I did check out a few replays of him playing Goalie, and he seems to play really deep in his net and relies on the auto-saves a lot, which explains why he prefers NHL 16 goalies to NHL 17, especially after the two big patches that made it hard to just sit on your goal line and pick off top corner shots all game.

He also uses the top-down camera angle, which... I can understand if you're a player, but a goalie???? C'mon dude...

Oh and btw, our friend lets in about 1 goal every 4.5 shots (on average). Which means he's good for a GAA of high 3.xx, low 4.xx at best. Sounds about right.

I use overhead as goalie. but to keep up with the post. i want the ability to be rewarded for tracking the puck and challenging the shot. I would also like my limbs to work and especially to fix the cover ups, a lot of times when i try to manually cover the puck either bounces away from me almost like i push it away or i have to mash the cover button to get the puck.