EA Forums - Banner

New Gameplay Features Trailer

Prev13

Replies

• IceLion68
    1624 posts Member
    Just came in to post this. Nice to see Drouin's duds. So is that his confirmed number?
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • I cant watch it right now. Is there a webpage covering everything described in the trailer or is it just the gameplay page from the NHL 18 website?
  • I see a whole lotta guys named Connor McDanglezz in our future..
    BlahQz - Owner of WikkiD6 - PS4
  • It's a mixed bag for me. I'm not happy at all about adding even more flashy dekes for forwards to use, since they already have more than enough agility on the ice, and it sounds like there are no skating engine updates to reduce how effective those are.

On the plus side the defensive skill stick is promising what I think we've been hoping for. How it ends up working in the real world is a bit of a different matter though, and I really hope we don't end up seeing all sorts of silly things like forwards being able to skate into sticks faster than you can get them out of the way to draw a tripping penalty and things like that.

3v3 EASHL and the new AI don't really tell us much that we didn't already know. They can say the AI will be better all they want, but we'll see for sure in a couple weeks.
  • B_Bunny
    893 posts Member
    It's a mixed bag for me. I'm not happy at all about adding even more flashy dekes for forwards to use, since they already have more than enough agility on the ice, and it sounds like there are no skating engine updates to reduce how effective those are.

On the plus side the defensive skill stick is promising what I think we've been hoping for. How it ends up working in the real world is a bit of a different matter though, and I really hope we don't end up seeing all sorts of silly things like forwards being able to skate into sticks faster than you can get them out of the way to draw a tripping penalty and things like that.

3v3 EASHL and the new AI don't really tell us much that we didn't already know. They can say the AI will be better all they want, but we'll see for sure in a couple weeks.

I've seen some clips of the AI doing some dirty stuff. I'm sure the typical dumb crap will follow suit, but people will be getting undressed too.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • Yeah my worry is definitely the skating not being terrible. heres hoping
    EA SPORTS Challenge Series Finalist - Nobounds

• Axel_Owretchsin
    296 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Yep, confirmed nothing crazy about 3's aside from it being...3v3 and bright colors. What a crock. How many of those dekes in the trailer can we do right now too? Bleh, well I hope the breakout AI is insanely stupid this year, and AI doesn't skate right into D and such.
  • SpillGal
    336 posts Member
    Back to ballerina hockey again.
    Playing drop ins or OTP nothing is more boring than having an ego tripping puck dangler on your team, regardless if he wins or loses the game for you. Now they are encouraging that kind of play.
    Just wish they would make good teamplay rewarding some year.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    SpillGal wrote: »
    Back to ballerina hockey again.
    Playing drop ins or OTP nothing is more boring than having an ego tripping puck dangler on your team, regardless if he wins or loses the game for you. Now they are encouraging that kind of play.
    Just wish they would make good teamplay rewarding some year.

Well to be fair they're simply showcasing this year's "new features".

The only point of concern for me is how the "defensive stick" works by poking to remove the puck instead of just sweeping the puck away.

Everything else well... Hopefully we get a small taste during the BETA so we can judge a little better.
  • B-Bunny wrote: »
    It's a mixed bag for me. I'm not happy at all about adding even more flashy dekes for forwards to use, since they already have more than enough agility on the ice, and it sounds like there are no skating engine updates to reduce how effective those are.

I've seen some clips of the AI doing some dirty stuff. I'm sure the typical dumb crap will follow suit, but people will be getting undressed too.

Is that offline on the most difficult setting, or is that in online gameplay though? To me, even at the same difficulty level, the AI always feels completely different between online and offline modes.
  • looks like we'll be able to customize the goal posts. Some pretty cool dekes hopefully they aren't too overpowered and the defensive skill stick looks pretty legit. Unfortunately, none of it matters if the server situation isn't improved to allow for East and West to play together without crippling lag.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    B-Bunny wrote: »

Is that offline on the most difficult setting, or is that in online gameplay though? To me, even at the same difficulty level, the AI always feels completely different between online and offline modes.

That's likely offline on the easiest settings so that the marketing team could put together a "sizzle" real of the new features as quickly as possible.
  • Santini3
    482 posts Member
    B-Bunny wrote: »

Do you think the AI will be able to play better defense defending on the rush or no?
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Naysayers gonna naysay, that was a great trailer.
  • Tier1SOFOperator
    496 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    I've been waiting 10 years for that defensive skill stick. Hope it works. Looks like you can finally have your legs facing forward and turn your torso left and right.
    Post edited by Tier1SOFOperator on
  • It was an alright trailer i guess. Underwhelming considering we have been waiting all this time for some kind of in depth stuff.

My question to the devs is, Will the AI actually be smart enough to forecheck when the opposing team is trying to rag the puck in NHL 18, or is "Creative AI" only limited to improvements in AI passing ability and being able to deke properly?

Look at 1:13 mark of the trailer. That was some terrible defense. The AI looks like it was struggling with the skating engine. It had the right idea, but...yeah.

The deking in general looks too easy to be honest. The one handed fake shot to place the puck on the open side of the net, although i will hold off on more comments until the beta because i remember it being pretty easy to do on old gen as well.
  • Follisimo
    1346 posts Member
    It was an alright trailer i guess. Underwhelming considering we have been waiting all this time for some kind of in depth stuff.

My question to the devs is, Will the AI actually be smart enough to forecheck when the opposing team is trying to rag the puck in NHL 18, or is "Creative AI" only limited to improvements in AI passing ability and being able to deke properly?

Look at 1:13 mark of the trailer. That was some terrible defense. The AI looks like it was struggling with the skating engine. It had the right idea, but...yeah.

The deking in general looks too easy to be honest. The one handed fake shot to place the puck on the open side of the net, although i will hold off on more comments until the beta because i remember it being pretty easy to do on old gen as well.

The AI won't really go after the puck ragging because people will find a way to abuse it waiting on cpu to attack then create odd man rushes.

Trailers are always meant to showcase so if it's offensive ability they will use what makes the defense look stupid. As for the dekes well they are going to be deadly since you can have several variations that might look like one dekes but turn out to be another.

Smart patient defense will always trump it though
  • A small thing but really concerning for me is the between the legs deke (Monahan) in the video. It's there since NHL 15 (that exact animation) and it's just impossible to poke or stop while they do it. Even grinders do it lightning quick. In the NHL 17 beta it was alright but since they patched everything like usual, this is just so OP. Much like puck shielding.
  • NLucaj31
    153 posts Member
    I can't wait till they show us golden knights gameplay. I wonder if it's going to say VGS or VGK in the scorebar during gameplay. I hope it's VGS.

Back to NHL 17
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    A small thing but really concerning for me is the between the legs deke (Monahan) in the video. It's there since NHL 15 (that exact animation) and it's just impossible to poke or stop while they do it. Even grinders do it lightning quick. In the NHL 17 beta it was alright but since they patched everything like usual, this is just so OP. Much like puck shielding.

If you stay in front of them and manage the gap well, they'll do the through the legs move and then be open for a poke or hit.

Puck shielding is not OP. It's not that difficult to cause a turn over if someone is abusing it. You slow down a ton and can still be poked/hit. The purpose of it is to protect the puck better so by nature it should be more difficult to knock it loose. It doesn't seem like it's exploited or overpowered.