EA Forums - Banner

Fighting in Nhl 18

Has anything be done to fighting since Nhl 17?

In 17 you couldn't even block anymore, only dodge, which pretty much took any strategy out of fighting and made it into a mash fest.

Will we be able to block again in Nhl 18? Were there any other changes to fighting?

Replies

• Lynch-CAN wrote: »
    Has anything be done to fighting since Nhl 17?

In 17 you couldn't even block anymore, only dodge, which pretty much took any strategy out of fighting and made it into a mash fest.

Will we be able to block again in Nhl 18? Were there any other changes to fighting?

I would like to be able to throw the distracting backfist.

• I'd like it if they removed it completely from MP modes. Waste of time.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »
    I'd like it if they removed it completely from MP modes. Waste of time.

pfffft.

pacifists.

;)
  • IceLion68
    810 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Naw... just ... if you wanna fight, get a fighting game. I wont be hyperbolic and say that "fighting ruined NHL" or some such nonsense. But it sure is boring 🎃🎃🎃🎃 watching guys go at it for the last 2 minutes of a lopsided hockey game. Or constantly in OTP, as I just discovered.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • A fight win near the end of the period completely fills your teams energy, so it's not a complete waste of time If you capitalize on your energy boost.
  • Lynch-CAN wrote: »
    A fight win near the end of the period completely fills your teams energy, so it's not a complete waste of time If you capitalize on your energy boost.

especially if you set up a combo using the distracting backfist.
  • Until fighting becomes a thing of the past, it remains a part of hockey, except for the Euro leagues and the Olympics. EA tried to make fights matter by allowing the winning team to get stamina replenished, but the game mechanics are tunes as such, that it doesnt matter enough.
  • Until fighting becomes a thing of the past, it remains a part of hockey, except for the Euro leagues and the Olympics. EA tried to make fights matter by allowing the winning team to get stamina replenished, but the game mechanics are tunes as such, that it doesnt matter enough.

Yeah there isn't much difference from full stamina to zero stamina.
  • The fighting engine in NHL 17 is really good. As long as there are players watching the fight and players tugging on one another during a heated battle is all I really want.
  • NLucaj31 wrote: »
    The fighting engine in NHL 17 is really good. As long as there are players watching the fight and players tugging on one another during a heated battle is all I really want.

Are you auditioning for a job or just stupid?
  • lol

yeah sorry fighting in nhl sucks, it's stupid and a waste of time. oh and no one has ever needed that "boost of energy" at the end of a period as much as they needed a decent player on the ice instead of the god awful AI.

the only thing fighting is good for in eashl is when you are playing random drop in, almost 100% of the time that someone fights that god awful AI replacement is worlds better than the bum that just took a trip to the box.
  • lol

yeah sorry fighting in nhl ****, it's stupid and a waste of time. oh and no one has ever needed that "boost of energy" at the end of a period as much as they needed a decent player on the ice instead of the god awful AI.

the only thing fighting is good for in eashl is when you are playing random drop in, almost 100% of the time that someone fights that god awful AI replacement is worlds better than the bum that just took a trip to the box.

Well thats your opinion, but some people like to fight for fun. Who doesn't like putting a beating on a player thats been rocking you and your teammates all game?

The thing about an AI taking over for you is that they get an AI too, sometimes just switching up whos out on the ice can be enough to generate some scoring chances if you're not having any luck.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1291 posts Member
    Fighting is pretty idiotic most of times, and most frustrating thing is that you cannot choose when to fight or not, the game just decides you *must* in some situations (except maybe EASHL 5v5). And sometimes in online modes, your guy doesn't seem able to fight at all, the punches just don't register. So the opponent throws a couple of punches in a row, and down you go, what fun.

It's really pity that fighting is really the only way to punish opponents who act like 🎃🎃🎃🎃-wits, ramming your goalie, and especially after the whistle pushes, hits and shoves. There should be some way to make them pay for acting like idiots, and since the game seldom gives penalties for this, then making the idiot sit for 5 minutes is really the only way. And downside is you have sit 5 for yourself.

I really wish the game started punishing people acting like 🎃🎃🎃🎃 after the whistle... you know, teach these kids act with a little more sportsmanship. Useless wish I guess.

• yeah easy problem to solve, just enforce the penalties. running people after the whistle should be a penalty. like so many other things in this game we don't have official info on this but would be nice to know when I get smoked after a whistle and i lay on the ice for 5 secs looking like I was injured, was I actually injured?

and yes it is my opinion that fighting is stupid and a waste of time. i play eashl to play hockey with humans. not to sit there for a couple of mins watching goofs throw virtual haymakers at each other and have them sit out for half a period. At the very least they need to get rid of the stupid forced fighting... all of it. I can live with being forced to watch two other guys that want to fight and losing those players for however long but so annoyed that every time I lay a big clean hit or shoot after the whistle I get forced to fight.

what i really hate is how often players glitch the "start a fight" animation and get away with interference with no penalty.
  • Want to keep fighting in the game, that's fine because it's part of the real game but take out the forced fighting garbage after you throw a hit. I don't play the game to go sit in the penalty box like a loser who fights so I shouldn't be punished for hits. If you are bad enough to get trucked, you deserve to get smashed. Spare me that it happens in real life because in real life there is instigators too. If you force fight, you should get 5 and the 2 minutes and your team should be on the power play
  • yeah easy problem to solve, just enforce the penalties. running people after the whistle should be a penalty. like so many other things in this game we don't have official info on this but would be nice to know when I get smoked after a whistle and i lay on the ice for 5 secs looking like I was injured, was I actually injured?

and yes it is my opinion that fighting is stupid and a waste of time. i play eashl to play hockey with humans. not to sit there for a couple of mins watching goofs throw virtual haymakers at each other and have them sit out for half a period. At the very least they need to get rid of the stupid forced fighting... all of it. I can live with being forced to watch two other guys that want to fight and losing those players for however long but so annoyed that every time I lay a big clean hit or shoot after the whistle I get forced to fight.

what i really hate is how often players glitch the "start a fight" animation and get away with interference with no penalty.

I agree that forced fighting on clean hits needs to go, it's an instigator penalty in real hockey isn't it?

I wasn't so much talking about the politics or reasoning for getting into the actual fights, I would just like the fighting we had for Nhl 16 back, when you could actually block.

If you are playing random drop in games I can see how it would be annoying. Watching your buddies fighting in Club matches can be pretty funny though, I had the nickname Speed bag in nhl 16 because I used to lose nearly every fight lol
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1291 posts Member
    It's freckin hilarious how the commentators are screaming for penalty after someone spears an opponent after a whistle - and yet nothing happens!? :#
  • Wish Don Cherry was here, he'd agree with me taking fighting out of hockey is like taking out all the oil of your vehicle. Neither works without it._.
  • JamesBlock1996
    1 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Everything in NHL fighting is fine, everything EXCEPT the dang AI winning fights without throwing a single punch! I mean come on...annoying is what it is.
    I suck at fighting and playing anyway, play vs AI only and so on... But still - in a fight you're supposed to FIGHT, not dodge and draw enemy to the ice, right??
  • Socair
    2436 posts Game Changer
    Old thread closed. Please don’t revive threads this old.
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!