EA Forums - Banner

How I fixed my lag issues

Prev13
sethamphetamines
330 posts Member
edited July 2017
My lag issues have been well documented on this forum. If you've been here for the past few years, I'm sure you've seen something from me describing my issues, and my attempts to fix them.

I recently made 3 big changes that have resulted in a much better experience online in this game. It's been 2 weeks now and 90% of my VS games and 100% of my club/drop in games (played on west coast servers) are absolutely perfect.

I'm making this post because I know other people here have suffered from lag in this game like I have, and have been dying for a solution. Even though I have had success, other who have suffered probably aren't going to like my answer.

TL;DR - I moved, which necessitated two other changes as well.

Here are the 3 big changes I made:

1) As I said in the teal dear, I moved. I was living in a small apartment, around 14 units. The cable would come from the street into a box in a small locked room next to the garage. From there, it entered a tangle of wires and splitters and then was spread throughout the apartment units. I always feared this was the biggest source of my issues.

My new place is a townhouse. The cable goes from the street, directly to my unit. Now, my new unit is setup to be a smart house, so I was really worried my connection would get worse, because there is a crazy wiring setup that spreads through the whole house, but it is all neatly done, and it seems to work fine. This is probably the biggest difference.

2) I got a new router, well, actually it was already installed in my new place when I moved in.

I had a nice wireless router (that I was hardwired to), it was a TP-Link Archer C7, I used the stock firmware, and when that did nothing, I installed DD-WRT on it for more advanced options. I still had issues.

The crazy wiring setup I mentioned above, it goes from my cable modem, through this, which is connected to this switch.

I don't know if these are better than my Archer C7, but I'm not having issues, so this may be a part of it. This router wires the entire house and still allows me to control things like port forwarding and QoS (so I can still have a perfectly smooth connection while my girlfriend watches Netflix in the living room or bedroom).

The Archer C7 is now just my wireless access point for the laptop, our phones, tablets, and Roku.

3) The new town house had an extra room which I claimed as my game room, which means we were short 1 TV, so I bought a new one.. I didn't have many issues playing NHL offline, but I must say since I got the new TV, there is a noticeable improvement. I had a TV that had up to 70ms delay (outside of game mode) but in reviews I read about it, there was a note that the game mode was still not good enough. My new TV has just 13ms input lag in game mode (even outside of game mode it's better than my old TV).

I don't recommend everyone else struggling out there to go and do exactly what I did. I'd hate for someone to spend $600 on a new TV and $400 on a new wired only router and switch. And certainly, don't move just to fix your problems.

I'm writing this to say that I was wrong putting all the blame on EA and that there are issues that you can correct if you are having problems with the game.

Having said that, I still stand by my previous opinions that this game has more online issues than any other game I've played. There are also still problems with this game, the 10% of VS games that are still terrible quality, (probably against people who have internet issues like I did), the EASHL games that for no good reason at all put me on east coast servers, and general hiccups here and there with otherwise perfectly connected games.

Overall though, no more fat man lag, no input lag, my skater usually does what I want him to, poke checks work, hitting works. I see now that I've been playing a different game than everyone else on this forum that defends it this whole time. Since these changes, my record in the 90% of good connection VS. games is like 30-0-1.

Replies

• Tonyfereli
    83 posts Game Changer
    The biggest difference maker is your move. I moved back from Montana but the place I had was full of splitters to other units and I definitely believed there was a broken node or two during peak hours.

Now that I am in a more directly connected place.. I don't feel any lag. The biggest head scratcher though, was the fact that NHL was the only game I could feel lag while in Montana.
    Tonyferelli | NHL Gamechanger | twitch.tv/tonyferelli
  • B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    Glad to see youve solved your issue there seth.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • Glad that you are having a better overall experience!

The game has its hiccups but it is extremely worse with a poor connection.

I've always appreciated your opinions and look forward to hearing your thoughts based on your new, improved connection.
  • Yup, I used to install internet...and the wiring in a lot of apartments is so old and ran through so many splitters.
    It was a nightmare at times just to get a solid signal.
  • i dont mean to be all negative, but lets wait a bit. two weeks lag free isnt unheard of. i have seen these posts where the lag has bee fixed, only it to come back later. im glad for you if its really fixed. but still the 100d 20u speed i play with should be more than enough. ea just has the worst net code and it needs to be upgraded.
  • EA Online producer is probably still shaking his head.

• Tonyfereli wrote: »
    The biggest difference maker is your move. I moved back from Montana but the place I had was full of splitters to other units and I definitely believed there was a broken node or two during peak hours.

Now that I am in a more directly connected place.. I don't feel any lag. The biggest head scratcher though, was the fact that NHL was the only game I could feel lag while in Montana.

I'm probably on the same node, I didn't move far. Or maybe I am, I don't know how much area a node is suppsoed to carry. I moved less than a mile down the road, still in the same zip code even, and in just as much of a crowded suburban area as I was before.

That would lead me to believe the problem was with the signal going into my internet, however....
    Yup, I used to install internet...and the wiring in a lot of apartments is so old and ran through so many splitters.

I went through the numbers from my modem with users on here, I think you were one of them, as well as reading up on what I should be getting and everything seemed perfect. So maybe that wasn't it at all.

Maybe it was all three issues, that by themselves wouldn't be terrible, but combined made my experience intolerable.
    Glad that you are having a better overall experience!

I've always appreciated your opinions and look forward to hearing your thoughts based on your new, improved connection.

The game is much better, much easier too. I can't tell you how good it feels to see a guy coming down the ice at me, press the poke button, and actually see a puck dislodge. It's night and day to my previous experience.

There are still a huge number of issues with this game, but about a lot of my biggest complaints are gone now.
    i dont mean to be all negative, but lets wait a bit. two weeks lag free isnt unheard of. i have seen these posts where the lag has bee fixed, only it to come back later. im glad for you if its really fixed. but still the 100d 20u speed i play with should be more than enough. ea just has the worst net code and it needs to be upgraded.

I've had temporary improvements where I thought I fixed everything, only for them to disappear the next night. That's why I waited so long to write this up.

Even on those previous nights where everything felt great, it still wasn't as solid as my connection is now. Something used to still feel off. I'm confident that most of my connection issues were solved with these three changes.

As far as your bandwidth, that is more than enough to play any multiplayer game online (anything over 3mb up is enough, truth be told, and even that is a conservative estimate). There is so much more to it than bandwidth though, trust, me, I went through everything.

The net code does need work, but the game is certainly playable online, which wasn't true for me in the past.
  • Greyinsi
    110 posts Member
    I thought I fixed my lag problems by buying new expensive router and changed all cables from router to ps4. 2-3weeks games were fine, but lag came back.
    Ping is still same, but players started to move like trucks, cannot pickup pucks and lose puck when turning hard. My ping is more than half of games 7-11ms in VS and other games between 20-35ms. Weird thing is than 20-35ms feels a lot smoother, 7-11ms feels totally out of sync.
  • Greyinsi wrote: »
    I thought I fixed my lag problems by buying new expensive router and changed all cables from router to ps4. 2-3weeks games were fine, but lag came back.
    Ping is still same, but players started to move like trucks, cannot pickup pucks and lose puck when turning hard. My ping is more than half of games 7-11ms in VS and other games between 20-35ms. Weird thing is than 20-35ms feels a lot smoother, 7-11ms feels totally out of sync.

Buzzkill! Jk jk
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    If it really was up to local conditions (wiring etc) don't you think it would show up as general hiccups in speed tests, the connection provider's analysis of the net, and in all other online games? Since the issue for most of us is just NHL, I find it hard to believe it's not on their end? Or do you really believe NHL is using the nets in some revolutionary new way that no other game or app is doing? :#

• BassMan_PC
    357 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    The biggest issue is the terrible matchmaking that puts west players on east severs. No changes to your setup will overcome that lag. Allow us to force the region to our preference and have the matchmaking system strictly adhere to that preference and then we will be happy. I only want to play on west servers. Do not put me on east servers. Ever! No more best location garbage. Only west!
  • B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    BassMan_PC wrote: »
    The biggest issue is the terrible matchmaking that puts west players on east severs. No changes to your setup will overcome that lag. Allow us to force the region to our preference and have the matchmaking system strictly adhere to that preference and then we will be happy. I only want to play on west servers. Do not put me on east servers. Ever! No more best location garbage. Only west!

You might start complaining you never find games then.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • Tonyfereli wrote: »

I'm probably on the same node, I didn't move far. Or maybe I am, I don't know how much area a node is suppsoed to carry. I moved less than a mile down the road, still in the same zip code even, and in just as much of a crowded suburban area as I was before.

That would lead me to believe the problem was with the signal going into my internet, however....
    Yup, I used to install internet...and the wiring in a lot of apartments is so old and ran through so many splitters.

I went through the numbers from my modem with users on here, I think you were one of them, as well as reading up on what I should be getting and everything seemed perfect. So maybe that wasn't it at all.

Maybe it was all three issues, that by themselves wouldn't be terrible, but combined made my experience intolerable.
    Glad that you are having a better overall experience!

The game is much better, much easier too. I can't tell you how good it feels to see a guy coming down the ice at me, press the poke button, and actually see a puck dislodge. It's night and day to my previous experience.

There are still a huge number of issues with this game, but about a lot of my biggest complaints are gone now.
    i dont mean to be all negative, but lets wait a bit. two weeks lag free isnt unheard of. i have seen these posts where the lag has bee fixed, only it to come back later. im glad for you if its really fixed. but still the 100d 20u speed i play with should be more than enough. ea just has the worst net code and it needs to be upgraded.

I've had temporary improvements where I thought I fixed everything, only for them to disappear the next night. That's why I waited so long to write this up.

Even on those previous nights where everything felt great, it still wasn't as solid as my connection is now. Something used to still feel off. I'm confident that most of my connection issues were solved with these three changes.

As far as your bandwidth, that is more than enough to play any multiplayer game online (anything over 3mb up is enough, truth be told, and even that is a conservative estimate). There is so much more to it than bandwidth though, trust, me, I went through everything.

The net code does need work, but the game is certainly playable online, which wasn't true for me in the past.

That's AWESOME Seth! My problem is 2 fold though. 1) I live in an old house (house was built in early 50s, been here 11yrs) but everything is up to code and like many, 2) NHL is the ONLY game I've really experienced this bad of lag
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    @sethamphetamines

If you can, go with a monitor. I have TWO LG 24MP77HM-P that are not only beautiful to look at, but they're one of the BEST monitors when it comes to display lag (check out Displaylag.com , it's comparable to the 24MP88HQ-P).

Glad you got your lag issues fixed. Great timing too, with the NHL 18 BETA just around the corner. ;)
  • BassMan_PC
    357 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    B-Bunny wrote: »

Every east hosted game is a write off for me and not fun to play. It is a waste of time. I would rather wait longer and guarantee a lag free game or not play at all if a west match can not be found. For people that are impatient and want to play quickly, they can also choose to match up on another region.
  • BassMan_PC wrote: »
    B-Bunny wrote: »

Every east hosted game is a write off for me and not fun to play. It is a waste of time. I would rather wait longer and guarantee a lag free game or not play at all if a west match can not be found. For people that are impatient and want to play quickly, they can also choose to match up on another region.

Agree, I would rather not play than ply an east coast game. It's bad enough we can't just choose which server to play on like so many other games out there, but it used to at least be better when we could say match my region, even if the game did get it wrong sometimes, you could at least try to reset your game until it found the right region.

The current option of "use best server" or whatever it's called is terrible and needs to be done away with. Forcing a team of 5 people to play on an east coast server because one of them is east coast, is so stupid.
  • i would suggest anyone with connection problems start with the basic trouble shooting steps. port forward or dmz your console. buy your own modem and router, don't use the equipment your isp provides. if you're still having problems call or chat with your isp and have them tell you your signal levels. if your signal is not within spec, find the reddit page of your isp and submit a complaint.
  • i would suggest anyone with connection problems start with the basic trouble shooting steps. port forward or dmz your console. buy your own modem and router, don't use the equipment your isp provides. if you're still having problems call or chat with your isp and have them tell you your signal levels. if your signal is not within spec, find the reddit page of your isp and submit a complaint.

That's not everything though. I had done all those steps, and everything checked out with my modem signal levels and still had major problems. Many others have as well.

naah. i have done all the above with no result. dont go spending tons of money to buy new router if your having no problems with other games. i dont like the fact that the blame is now shifted to the consumer. clearing EA of any responsibility. they are the ones who should trow money at the problem to make it go away. not the consumer.

naah. i have done all the above with no result. dont go spending tons of money to buy new router if your having no problems with other games. i dont like the fact that the blame is now shifted to the consumer. clearing EA of any responsibility. they are the ones who should trow money at the problem to make it go away. not the consumer.

I'm not clearing EA of all responsibility. I simply stated that after years of blaming it all on EA, changes I made fixed the problem.