EA Forums - Banner

How I fixed my lag issues

Replies

• I have an expensive gaming router (netgear r7000), I live in a condo in Vancouver, and have 50mb download/10mb upload. This game has lagged since it came out. I play lots of games and nhl 17 is the only game I lag in.
    Recently I've been getting more west coast games (~30%), but even still, they are sometimes laggy as if they are east coast.
    EA has admitted there is a lag issue with the game and has stated they do not know how to fix it.
    The game is almost 1-year old and they still haven't fixed it. That is pretty sad, and gives me little confidence that it will be fixed for NHL 18, but I guess we will find out on Tuesday when the beta drops.

TLDR: EA released a laggy game and couldn't figure out how to fix it. They must feel pretty dumb
  • So they spend all this time and energy on new game modes, filler, visuals, animations, etc, but don't realize that if they figure out the lag issue they probably make a lot of the other common problems go away.
  • I don't know that you should be so quick to let EA off the hook. I have about as good of an internet connection/setup that is possible in a home environment and this is the ONLY game I experienced connection/lag issues. Do you really think gamers should have to spend hundreds/thousands of dollars and work tirelessly for months to solve connection/lag issues that wouldn't/shouldn't exist if the game was designed better. Other games don't have this many issues, so why it is OUR fault with this game? Also, lag is not the only problem. There's still a pretty high percentage of games that lose connection to the server and don't count (either during or after a game).
  • IceLion68
    1624 posts Member
    Having said that, I still stand by my previous opinions that this game has more online issues than any other game I've played.
    Try playing Gears 4 - I love that game but man, I actually play NHL when I need a BREAK from online lag issues with Gears.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • Glad it's fixed Seth.

saw the 70 ms comment about the TV.... wowsers.
  • FWIW, I have a ridiculously overbuilt DIY router (Quad core Intel Xeon processor), brand new Cat 6E cabling, 100 Mb up/down fiber to the home, a TV with low input lag, and a decent knowledge of networking, and I still have issues with lag in this game, and only this game. It's really quite perplexing.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    I have an expensive gaming router (netgear r7000), I live in a condo in Vancouver, and have 50mb download/10mb upload. This game has lagged since it came out. I play lots of games and nhl 17 is the only game I lag in.
    Recently I've been getting more west coast games (~30%), but even still, they are sometimes laggy as if they are east coast.
    EA has admitted there is a lag issue with the game and has stated they do not know how to fix it.
    The game is almost 1-year old and they still haven't fixed it. That is pretty sad, and gives me little confidence that it will be fixed for NHL 18, but I guess we will find out on Tuesday when the beta drops.

TLDR: EA released a laggy game and couldn't figure out how to fix it. They must feel pretty dumb

Where did they say they know there's a lag issue? They said that about 16 with the home captain input lag that was fixed several months later, but I don't recall them saying there was a known issue with lag.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    FWIW, I have a ridiculously overbuilt DIY router (Quad core Intel Xeon processor), brand new Cat 6E cabling, 100 Mb up/down fiber to the home, a TV with low input lag, and a decent knowledge of networking, and I still have issues with lag in this game, and only this game. It's really quite perplexing.

Maybe it's your overbuilt, DIY router? Is that a home made, custom built router?
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    FWIW, I have a ridiculously overbuilt DIY router (Quad core Intel Xeon processor), brand new Cat 6E cabling, 100 Mb up/down fiber to the home, a TV with low input lag, and a decent knowledge of networking, and I still have issues with lag in this game, and only this game. It's really quite perplexing.

Maybe it's your overbuilt, DIY router? Is that a home made, custom built router?

This was something I built for fun after I started having trouble with NHL, so it's not likely to be the source of any problems. I've also tried connecting directly to my modem, so that rules it out as well. I built it because I had most of the necessary hardware sitting around already, and so I made an ESXi server that can take care of any misc tasks that I would need a server for. I know what you're thinking, could those other things be having an effect, but the system is never pushed above 10% capacity.

It also constantly monitors connection quality and packet loss, so I know when my connection is bad (which is quite rare). Happy to get into more details about the whole thing if folks are curious, but this is likely beyond what any sane person would want to do.
  • I got 1GB Fiber a few months ago and I rarely lag since it's been installed, it's a direct tap with no modem, so I was thinking that the elimination of all the extra hops helped a lot - my last ISP had great speeds (250/100) but I still had issues in NHL.
  • location...location...location.Apartments are horrible bottlenecks.
    THE...Detriot Frenzy Alumni
  • location...location...location.Apartments are horrible bottlenecks.

especially during peak hours, yep.
  • TEDsba wrote: »
    I got 1GB Fiber a few months ago and I rarely lag since it's been installed, it's a direct tap with no modem, so I was thinking that the elimination of all the extra hops helped a lot - my last ISP had great speeds (250/100) but I still had issues in NHL.

You definitely have some sort of modem. It may be built in to the router they provided, but the hardware is there. A modem is necessary because the signal in a fiber cable is completely different from the signal that runs through your ethernet cables in your house.
  • To those who comment with basic troubleshooting support, it's great advice but anyone who has experienced "fat man" lag has likely gone above and beyond this basic support. Myself, located in Edmonton, AB, I've noticed club is the worst for input/fat man lag and it sounds like a lot of people in this area deal with the same garbage.

I am 100% behind the statement that EA needs to be the ones responsible and take action to improve matchmaking. There's no reason why in 2017 we can't have west coast gamers playing with east coast gamers on a sports game, when popular games from other publishers experience little to no lag and certainly not "fat man lag" when playing against multiple connections on the opposite coast. It's ridiculous. I shouldn't have to look forward to the 1/10 club games where I feel in control.

I have moved homes and upgraded to the top plan that my ISP offers (Shaw) and the only box I have unchecked because it is not offered in my area is IPV6. That shouldn't have anything to do with fat man lag, yet I am still getting it - and will likely have to deal with it next year based on how little EA cares about this.
  • ItsARexx wrote: »
    To those who comment with basic troubleshooting support, it's great advice but anyone who has experienced "fat man" lag has likely gone above and beyond this basic support. Myself, located in Edmonton, AB, I've noticed club is the worst for input/fat man lag and it sounds like a lot of people in this area deal with the same garbage.

I am 100% behind the statement that EA needs to be the ones responsible and take action to improve matchmaking. There's no reason why in 2017 we can't have west coast gamers playing with east coast gamers on a sports game, when popular games from other publishers experience little to no lag and certainly not "fat man lag" when playing against multiple connections on the opposite coast. It's ridiculous. I shouldn't have to look forward to the 1/10 club games where I feel in control.

I have moved homes and upgraded to the top plan that my ISP offers (Shaw) and the only box I have unchecked because it is not offered in my area is IPV6. That shouldn't have anything to do with fat man lag, yet I am still getting it - and will likely have to deal with it next year based on how little EA cares about this.

One of my teammates is in Edmonton. The rest of us are east coast and one is mid-west.

What times are you getting (network performance avg. times in EASHL)? He noticed a change a few weeks back...
  • ItsARexx wrote: »
    To those who comment with basic troubleshooting support, it's great advice but anyone who has experienced "fat man" lag has likely gone above and beyond this basic support. Myself, located in Edmonton, AB, I've noticed club is the worst for input/fat man lag and it sounds like a lot of people in this area deal with the same garbage.

I live in Edmonton too, yeah she's pretty bad most of the time. There's the odd game where you don't have it and it feels amazing!

• One of my teammates is in Edmonton. The rest of us are east coast and one is mid-west.

What times are you getting (network performance avg. times in EASHL)? He noticed a change a few weeks back...

Typically we play late night, usually 9pm - 2 am (*within that range). I've got about the same demographic as your club, except reverse. Most midwest / west coast with a few east coast casuals.

I'm a big HUT player as well when club members aren't available - this one is a real shot in the dark as I can go on a roll with good connection games, but still occasionally have the fat man sit on my connection. though not as frequently as the 80% fat man chance on EASHL

HoodHoppers,

I'm glad you feel the same... I wonder if our good games are when we match up with one another, haha.
  • The true test will be in September when the servers are busy again. It's summer and the NHL 17 community is nowhere to be found. Server traffic is light, which is the most logical reason why connections are better right now. I usually have lag between 8-11pm then it's buttery smooth in the early morning hours. It all comes down to EA server traffic.
  • I must be truly lucky. I haven't had any issues with online connections. I'm glad you got your problem solved Seth.
  • dannovision
    76 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Where did they say they know there's a lag issue? They said that about 16 with the home captain input lag that was fixed several months later, but I don't recall them saying there was a known issue with lag.

Nobody posted anything online, (because no one ever comes on here from EA except Ben, and that one time Cappy showed up and deflected everything the community said), but someone from EA told me and you'll just have to go off of that. They said they were aware of the issue and couldn't figure out how to fix it.