EA Forums - Banner

How I fixed my lag issues

13Next

Replies

• Let me know what your experience is like for EASHL in the beta. There have been some changes in the logic to determine which server to play out of, so hopefully the experience is better more consistently.
  • sethamphetamines
    330 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Let me know what your experience is like for EASHL in the beta. There have been some changes in the logic to determine which server to play out of, so hopefully the experience is better more consistently.

So far everything has been pretty good. One of my buddy's disconnects often, but he has some major internet issues of his own, so that is to be expected I guess.

However, we did get matched up in an east coast game last night. There were three of us on. I live in Los Angeles, one guy in San Fransisco, and the other in Edmonton. I hope that doesn't become more common.

I really wish you guys would just let us choose which server to search/play on instead of trying to tell us. Instead of "Best game" , just ask East/West/Europe/Anywhere else you may have a server.

Other than that, Club games have felt even better than on 17, but everyone says their experience is better in the beta. VS games have felt worse though. I'm sure it's probably something on the other guys end, but it would be nice to know what the connection was for the game before I was thrown into it.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    Let me know what your experience is like for EASHL in the beta. There have been some changes in the logic to determine which server to play out of, so hopefully the experience is better more consistently.

So far, most of the games I've played in Club and Drop-ins have been smooth. Pings have been around 15-17ms for the most part. I think I've experienced maybe 2 or 3 games where the ping was over 50ms playing with my old club who's members are mostly in central time zone (one western). What's weird is that the next game, playing with the same exact people, my ping would go back to normal around 15ms.

It just seems weird that the preferred server would jump around for no apparent reason.
  • BassMan_PC
    358 posts Member
    edited August 2017

I have definitely noticed a huge improvement as I stated in the other thread. However, I am with Seth and many others who feel that we should be able to manually set the region and force the matchmaking to that region. This can be handled by the captain in club and group matchmaking, and by the individual in solo matchmaking. It is best to give the option to the user instead of relying on logic that may fail us. Please give us control over this. This is very important.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Where did they say they know there's a lag issue? They said that about 16 with the home captain input lag that was fixed several months later, but I don't recall them saying there was a known issue with lag.

Nobody posted anything online, (because no one ever comes on here from EA except Ben, and that one time Cappy showed up and deflected everything the community said), but someone from EA told me and you'll just have to go off of that. They said they were aware of the issue and couldn't figure out how to fix it.

That sounds extremely unreliable. A friend of my cousin's sister 3 times removed knows a guy with an uncle who talked to some dude in a Yahoo chat room that says EA said this. Yeah. Must be true.
  • Let me know what your experience is like for EASHL in the beta. There have been some changes in the logic to determine which server to play out of, so hopefully the experience is better more consistently.

I didnt have NHL 17, but I have been generally happy with my experience connection wise. However i was spontaneously removed ( lost connection from EA servers, only to re-connect without an issue immediately upon reaching the main menu )from 5 of my 26 total EASHL games. All these games were drop in, not club.

I played 3 NHL 3s online matches, with no hiccups.

I played 4 standard online VS games, which only featured a one or two-second span where packets dropped and the action on the screen "caught up in fast-forward".

Even though those EASHL games were drop in, i am rather concerned that it reflects what will be my experience in the full game. I may not purchase this game if others report major connection issues in the first week.

Dunno if it's coincidence but at the start of the beta I was living in my old house rocking a 35ms ping. In my new place with my new router I was rocking between 12-17ms and the games have played great.

So far everything has been pretty good. One of my buddy's disconnects often, but he has some major internet issues of his own, so that is to be expected I guess.

However, we did get matched up in an east coast game last night. There were three of us on. I live in Los Angeles, one guy in San Fransisco, and the other in Edmonton. I hope that doesn't become more common.

I really wish you guys would just let us choose which server to search/play on instead of trying to tell us. Instead of "Best game" , just ask East/West/Europe/Anywhere else you may have a server.

Other than that, Club games have felt even better than on 17, but everyone says their experience is better in the beta. VS games have felt worse though. I'm sure it's probably something on the other guys end, but it would be nice to know what the connection was for the game before I was thrown into it.

So it's happened a few more times, matching up with an east coast team.

Can you please explain the reasoning for using "best game location" instead of the old method, or the preferred way of letting us choose what server to play on? Because as a frustrated user, I just can't see why you guys would do this.
  • Yeah. I have been getting matched up on east more often towards the end of the beta. Just let us pick the server ****!
  • I live in Vancouver and have gotten slightly more west coast games in the beta but those games sometimes lag even worse than an east coast game.
    So it's not just the logic, it's the servers, netcode, etc.

Quick question for NHL_ONL_Producer (aka James Capadouca):
    **** have you been doing in the past year besides collecting a paycheque?
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    I live in Vancouver and have gotten slightly more west coast games in the beta but those games sometimes lag even worse than an east coast game.
    So it's not just the logic, it's the servers, netcode, etc.

Quick question for NHL_ONL_Producer (aka James Capadouca):
    **** have you been doing in the past year besides collecting a paycheque?
    @dannovision

That... is the perfect way to have the dev NOT answer, not only your questions, but everyone else's. You can be upset all you want, but try to be courteous. You'll get your point across just as well, and you'll ensure the dev WANTS to keep coming here to answer our questions.

Thanks.

PS: If I were you, I'd edit that post so that it doesn't sound like you're being a "Feminine cleansing product"...

... And the BAG that comes with it. :/
  • Hey Dev,

Simple question:

Why won't EA let US choose and play on the server we want?
  • @VeNOM2099
    I don't know if you're aware but he's not going to answer anyway. It's been 11 months since I first posted about the broken NHL 17 servers/matchmaking and hundreds of posts/threads later, nothing's been done.
    He showed up on the forums for about 2 days and then disappeared. It was a joke.
    I have every right to call him out on it. NHL 17 has been broken since release. And NHL 18 won't be any different because it's basically a cut and paste from last year.
    Seriously, I don't care about the new dekes... What has been done on the network side of things? A change in the matchmaking logic? How many minutes did that take to change? And why wasn't it done last year?
    Aside from that, horrible lag still exists in some games despite having 12ms latency. There's something very wrong with this game. I wonder if Cappy thinks it'll ever get fixed... but I'm pretty sure he won't answer that one either.
  • I understand where you're coming from. Believe me. I'm just saying you don't have to be rude to the dev directly. There's being upset about the situation (as you rightfully should be), and then there's crossing the line and ENSURING the dev will never answer you back.

He has popped up here and there at odd times. I've seen him lurking in the "members currently signed in", which means he probably reads but has nothing to add (for now).

I'd like to be able to speak to Ben ( @NHLDev ) a lot more, but it's not by asking him "What the **** are you doing?" that I'm gonna get him to suddenly come out of hiding and answer me...

PS: BTW, Ben, if you do read that, I'm not actually saying that to you, I'm just saying that as an example. Now go back ta work! ;)
  • Almost all games I played in the beta were east coast. My club consists only of people from California, Washington State, and Nevada. So again, another year where we can't just select the region we want to play in. This is ridiculous and totally unacceptable. Your game is a broken mess, hopefully people are finally sick of all the **** and this game can disappear into oblivion.

Honestly though, then entire beta from a gameplay perspective was terrible. The networking sucks, the controls are still unresponsive, AI passes 5x faster and with 100% accuracy compared to humans, there are like 50 stoppages in play from the net coming off. This game sucks, period.
  • @VeNOM2099 @NHL_ONL_Producer
    I understand what you're saying. I feel I've exhausted all other measures though.
    I've submitted bug reports, I've given feedback, I've posted suggestions, I've personally offered to help troubleshoot for free, and everything's fallen on deaf ears.
    I could understand if there were issues with NHL 17 for a month or two. But a full year cycle? That's complete garbage.
    Worst case scenario, NHL 17 was unfixable due to some hard coding within the game (never heard of this before but let's just say "what if")... You'd think they'd change something for the next game's release right? The answer is no. Nothing's been done to improve the network performance of NHL 18 (beta). And this has been a problem since the release of NHL 15.
    - NHL 15 was a total disaster
    - NHL 16 was broken till the last few months of its cycle when they finally fixed home team captain lag
    - NHL 17 somehow broke whatever was fixed, changed to a stupid system that automatically chose a server for you and received zero updates
    - NHL 18 is the same broken system with some minor (and still broken) updated 'logic'

At some point someone should start taking responsibility for this. It's ridiculous that this community has been neglected like this over the years. No one from EA has even officially admitted to NHL 17's issues, though I know they're fully aware of them.

Over the years I've probably played more of these games than 99% of the people on these forums and I can tell you that if they can't fix NHL 18 I'm not going to buy it. You can do as you like. The game just isn't fun anymore when there's lag. Simple as that.

• BassMan_PC
    358 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    @VeNOM2099 @NHL_ONL_Producer
    I understand what you're saying. I feel I've exhausted all other measures though.
    I've submitted bug reports, I've given feedback, I've posted suggestions, I've personally offered to help troubleshoot for free, and everything's fallen on deaf ears.
    I could understand if there were issues with NHL 17 for a month or two. But a full year cycle? That's complete garbage.
    Worst case scenario, NHL 17 was unfixable due to some hard coding within the game (never heard of this before but let's just say "what if")... You'd think they'd change something for the next game's release right? The answer is no. Nothing's been done to improve the network performance of NHL 18 (beta). And this has been a problem since the release of NHL 15.
    - NHL 15 was a total disaster
    - NHL 16 was broken till the last few months of its cycle when they finally fixed home team captain lag
    - NHL 17 somehow broke whatever was fixed, changed to a stupid system that automatically chose a server for you and received zero updates
    - NHL 18 is the same broken system with some minor (and still broken) updated 'logic'

At some point someone should start taking responsibility for this. It's ridiculous that this community has been neglected like this over the years. No one from EA has even officially admitted to NHL 17's issues, though I know they're fully aware of them.

Over the years I've probably played more of these games than 99% of the people on these forums and I can tell you that if they can't fix NHL 18 I'm not going to buy it. You can do as you like. The game just isn't fun anymore when there's lag. Simple as that.

The lag is by far the biggest issue with this game. A lot of us only play EASHL. So, if we can't consistently get matched up on the proper server because of failed matchmaking logic, it is a huge problem. The current matchmaking system is clearly broken. Why don't they just allow us to chose our own server? It makes no sense why we are not able to. The lack of communication from the developers only makes matters worse.