EA Forums - Banner

Is 18 as lousy as it seems to be?

I’m on holiday right now, and since my family didn’t allow me to bring my PS4, I’m left with observing what other players are saying on these forums, reddit and so on.
There’s been posted a few videos of the gameplay, as well as numerous posts varying from “I love it” to “I’ll never touch this stinking pile of (stars) again!”
In the videos, I can see passes that are clearly not going to where the player intended them to. Is this the same as in 17, where breakout-passes are most likely to end up in icing? Will the intended receiver still decide there’s time for a line change, right after you passed him the puck?
On 2 on 1, will 30-50% of the cross creases still be whiffed on?
Can you make short passes, or is this still incredibly hard to pull off?
It also seems that wristers against the movement of your player are highly effective.
Go right, shoot left or vice versa, is this still an almost guaranteed goal?
How about uncovered wristers from the point?
Do they still go in at an alarming rate?
D to D one-timers? Still deadly?
Will putting your D to “cover the point” make’em actually, well … cover the point?
After what I’ve seen so far, the puck pickups are about the same, so it’s still bound to ruin a lot of the game.
How about incidental contact? Will you still lose the puck if an opposing player makes contact with the back your skate, while if you hold “X” (On PS4), you can skate through walls?
Is it still possible to “hold your stick to the side” and thus avoid most body checks, pokes and every other defensive tool in the game? How about hiding the puck inside the boards?
Is this still a viable play?
How about A.I?
Apparently, they are still skating hard on offence a few seconds after a turn-over, making sure there’s no-one back home to protect the counter attack.
But will they try to open them self up for a pass now, or are they still lurking in the shadows?
Will a player still magically jump of the edge of the bench, on most breakaways, even if there was no player skating off?
If so, is he still skating away from the play the first (and deciding) seconds?
Will they still take a heap of penalties, regardless of the situation like “Is this in the offensive zone?”, “Are we already down a man?”, “Are we leading, or trailing?” …?
Do they recognize the blue line this year?
After what I’ve gathered there’s some new dekes, but they’re not gamechanging.
There’s the defensive skill stick, that seems to just be a subtle change on what we already had.
And of course the threes, but without bubbleheads this time.
Is that really it?

Replies

• you have to aim your passes. the system does not know what you intended. just lower your pass assist and every pass goes where you aim. this was not a problem in 17 and it doesnt seem to be in 18 either.
  • SpillGal
    336 posts Member
    Thanks for the input murder, but I can not agree with you.
    I don't know how experienced you are with these series, or if you have any other sportgame experience, so please bare with me, if this sounds obnoxious....
    But "back in the day" you would direct your pass to whoever you wanted that pass to go to, and it would go just there. There were no such thing as "online pass assist", because no one ever felt the need for it. Passing was just working as everyone expected.
    Now, we have "online pass assist".
    Still, whenever I have one player breaking out, I am not able to feed him a pass, it will VERY often miss him by a few feets, resulting in an Icing.
    If "Online pass assist" should ever have any impact on the game, shouldn't it be in just that situation, when you have only one player in that area of the ice, but your LS is a little off target?
    This should be the perfect (and easiest) situation for a programmed little helper to kick in, and assist the players inaccurate stickmovement, so the pass connects.
    I have tried the setting from 0 to 100, and am not sure whether I felt a difference at all.
    Please bear in mind the circumference of the stick, and the size of the rink.
    Now calculate the position of the stick if you wanted to pass it two feets more to the left, 90 feets away.
    I am sure you have good thumbs, but c'mon man, be honest....
    This was absolutely an issue in 17, and you have actually answered my question, it obviously still is....
    Now, how about my 34,5 other questions, are they also just a matter of "gitting" good?
  • B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    edited July 2017
    There's nothing wrong with the pass aiming. It's you my friend.

Online pass assist always existed, it was just behind the scenes. It's an option for people to decrease it now because sometimes it is assisted too much.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • Bunny with all due respect, passing is kind of a pain sometimes.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    SpillGal wrote:

That's your fault. You're holding up too soon. When I figured out the timing in 17, my one timers were connecting almost every time.

• If you play hockey and understand stick angles passing isn't as big of a pain in the **** as you'd think. It's more realistic. No more no look back hands at awkward angles full power.

Most passes with good angles and good aim go where you need them to
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    SpillGal wrote:

That's your fault. You're holding up too soon. When I figured out the timing in 17, my one timers were connecting almost every time.

People still hold L2 and up like the "glory days" of NHL 12.

Remember, it's always EAs fault that you di dnt adapt.
  • B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    edited July 2017
    Bunny with all due respect, passing is kind of a pain sometimes.

We can agree to disagree. I haven't missed a pass that I didn't feel like I wasn't aiming slightly inaccurately on my right stick.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • Let's just say I tend to miss on more passes than I should maybe it's my gm mode settings but it does get a bit annoying. Either way by no means is passing bad. I just hate messing them up.
  • The only thing I noticed thats a pain in the a** is the automatic deking, I try to make a quick stick handle back and forth and an automatic deke kicks in and makes me lose the puck.

Is there an option to turn touchless dekes off yet? Such a pain. Even non touchless dekes I'm having issues pulling off, I would say maybe I'm rusty but I played 17 a week ago and had no problem deking. Seems different this year.
  • Another thing I recommend anyone do is turning off auto back skate, it gives you so much more control of your skater.
  • Passing feels different but was easy to adjust to. I'm with bunny.. my passes are going where they are intended to go 90% of the time.
  • MDubz83
    152 posts Member
    I played two threes offline games to do the new dekes and then went to two EASHL games, which of course took at least an hour between both just to find games, and I'll be honest it felt 100% the same as NHL 17. You can't even do the new dekes unless you're on a breakaway cuz you'll get folded. So other then the new defensive skill stick (which I like the idea but it doesn't seem to work much) it just feels like I'm playing the same game. I find it hard to believe EA spent a year on 3 new dekes and making small rinks for a 3 on 3 mode. ****?

Also, the equipment is old. There's no SuperTacks 2.0, 2017 1S, 2017 1X skates etc, hopefully that's changed before launch. TRUE isn't a brand in the game. The Easton buckets are gone instead of being rebranded Bauer or no logo. I dunno, maybe I'll play some more but I already feel like I'm over it. It just feels like NHl 17 messed up and made me have to restart my guy from level 1
  • SpillGal
    336 posts Member
    B-Bunny wrote: »

I think it's kinda cute how every flaw in the game can be answered by saying its the users fault.
    You just need to adapt, Git Good!!
    I just wanna throw in there, that I never had a problem passing from 94 up til 14.
    I skipped 15 and 16, and thought the passing had taken several steps back, when I picked up 17.
    Also it should be mentioned that passing kinda works better in eashl, than in versus.
    At least for the break-out passes, which is the main problem for me.
    As passes are the bread and butter of my play, I am really eager to know if it has gotten any better.
    And as I said earlier, the answers you guys provided has told me "Sorry, its the same"
    Not what I was hoping for, but thanks for the feedback.

• SpillGal wrote: »
    B-Bunny wrote: »

I think it's kinda cute how every flaw in the game can be answered by saying its the users fault.
    You just need to adapt, Git Good!!
    I just wanna throw in there, that I never had a problem passing from 94 up til 14.
    I skipped 15 and 16, and thought the passing had taken several steps back, when I picked up 17.
    Also it should be mentioned that passing kinda works better in eashl, than in versus.
    At least for the break-out passes, which is the main problem for me.
    As passes are the bread and butter of my play, I am really eager to know if it has gotten any better.
    And as I said earlier, the answers you guys provided has told me "Sorry, its the same"
    Not what I was hoping for, but thanks for the feedback.

i think there is lot of flaws in the game, but passing is not one of them. sure it could be better. like faster release and onetime passing. my pass assist setup is currently 40%. i find that be the best for me. every pass goes pretty much where i aim. plus i can use the boards to get the pass around the defenders.
    you can easily test if the passes work or not. just go to practice ice and you see for your self.