EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

NHL 18 = NHL 17 Copy/Paste

RedBull1973JL
741 posts Member
edited July 2017
Played two games VS and one game EASHL and this game is nothing more than a carbon copy of NHL 17 in just about every way. Same input delay/fat-man lag as the last few iterations of the game. I cannot stomach another minute of this garbage. How do they figure this clunky game-play is fun or competitive anyways?

HOWEVER,

The THREEs mode seems to be pretty crispy on the controls for the most part. I've got about 10 games in on this mode and it's a lot more enjoyable actually being able to control what your skater is doing all game long. It's fricking phenomenal to be exact. I'm sure EA will find a way to screw that up too. It's too bad all the modes can't feel that way this one does. I don't think this mode will have a very long replay value though unless they can add things/depth to it.

Replies

• CrushNHL
    460 posts Member
    Haven't touched 3s yet, but played 1 VS game and it was every bit as bad as 17. Maybe worse?

Is there any way to play 3s VS mode?
  • CrushNHL wrote: »
    Haven't touched 3s yet, but played 1 VS game and it was every bit as bad as 17. Maybe worse?

Is there any way to play 3s VS mode?

There's a few options for playing 3s mode and yes, you can play online in a vs. mode. That's what I did last night. Personally, I hated this mode. I think it's a half a$$ attempt at an arcade mode. I agree that the controls are much more responsive, but I didn't find it fun at all. If it was TOTALLY arcadish, maybe it would be fun (I don't know), but they tried to take an already broken online vs. mode, shrink the rink, add a bunch of stupid visual ridiculousness on the outside of the rink (which adds nothing), and added arcade gimmicks (like progressive goals ... meaning that if you score consecutive goals, the value increases, so goals become worth 2, 3, etc.) It's good that there's a lot of options so you can make the games very short and end up playing tons of games, etc. Maybe others will like it more than I do, but I hate "Online Vs." and "HUT" modes, and this new mode is basically those modes in an arcade setting so I hated it.
  • Same game as 17, if you hated 17 like I did, just save your money. There are no changes
  • Holtt8 wrote: »
    Same game as 17, if you hated 17 like I did, just save your money. There are no changes

Yup, I quit out of all three of my VS/EASHL games in the first period because I couldn't control anything my players were doing.

I'd happily give EA 10 bucks for only the THREEs mode though. My controller input actually works as intended 99% of the time there.
  • Holtt8 wrote: »
    Same game as 17, if you hated 17 like I did, just save your money. There are no changes

Defensive skill stick.... some stringing of the dekes. Oh, and the net can come off now.
  • input delay was horrendous when I played the beta. But yea - this is NHL 17.1
  • CrushNHL
    460 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Finally got to play 3s (VS) and its definitely much better than the 5v5 version. Much more responsive and fluid, thus, much more fun. It actually might save this game for me.
  • joefitz22
    643 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    So what's the difference between NHL 3 on 3 Arcade

and the "NEW" NHL Three's

I don't know, to me it feels like EA is running up the White Flag! I find it telling that the comments I have read (here and on FB) that the 3 vs 3 plays better and smoother than the Standard 5 on 5 game
  • It plays MUCH better and MUCH smoother. TPS is still wonky and terrible, but 3s is so much more responsive that it limits the damage.
  • Defend with holding R1 and moving your stick you noobs its not the same.