EA Forums - Banner

NHL 18 beta (first day impressions)

Prev1
So it's only been one day so far but I got a few things I'd like to say about this game. I've played 5 online vs games and a few eashl games with my buddies. I've noticed three things that I really like about the game. Firstly, the offensive creativity that will be in the game is going to bring many highlight reel goals. I love that EA is bringing the high speed and skill game to the NHL series. That is what hockey is all about. I think once everyone masters the dekes and knows when to use certain moves it's going to be better. Also folks you gotta remember this is a video game so it's not going to feel 100 percent like real life. Sorry to break that news to you. Secondly, the defensive skill stick is a great addition to the game. The few games I've got to play I can already say this is going to make games much more competitive. I personally love it because it caters to people who like to play responsible defense and two-way forwards. In past games it was all about making hits but right now I feel like the game is headed in the right direction. Thirdly, I gotta say I think ea has finally fixed the AI and their stupid tendency to go offsides all the time and try to keep pucks in the zone that they have no business trying to keep. They really do seem a lot better at reading plays and making plays. I love it. All in all the creativity on offense, the defensive skill stick, and the improved AI are going to make the game better and more competitive for all players. If you don't like the improvements then it's simple: don't buy the game.

Replies

• BlackhawksFan19
    9 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    P.S. can't wait for HUT (don't hate I know I'm lame lol
  • SaveUs2K wrote: »
    Game will never feel great until I can pivot while skating backwards better than a four year old that's just learning how to skate. The fact that this dev team even remotely thinks this skating is "realistic" makes me question why any of them still have jobs.

Another "next-gen" release, another disappointing attempt at resembling high level hockey.

It's a game. I'm sure it's more to do with technology then wanting to put out a good engine. Have you liked any of the skating engines by chance?
  • to be honest pre TPS and then post TPS before new console. first year or so of TPS was terrible, but i didn't have any problems with the skating by time we were on NHL 15 last gen. everything about current gen was clunky, from the skating, to the passing, hell right down to the menu system. just dog **** slow and clunky.
    SaveUs2K wrote: »
    Game will never feel great until I can pivot while skating backwards better than a four year old that's just learning how to skate. The fact that this dev team even remotely thinks this skating is "realistic" makes me question why any of them still have jobs.

Another "next-gen" release, another disappointing attempt at resembling high level hockey.

It's a game. I'm sure it's more to do with technology then wanting to put out a good engine. Have you liked any of the skating engines by chance?

Yes, the pre-tps one where I could move anywhere I wanted, because the hockey was at least fast, fun, and skillful back then.

The one where you can spin like a dreidel and hold L2 and up for auto aimed clap bombs?

Now this is just a thought and it isnt meant as an insult, your opponent deals with the same skating engine as you meaning he deals with the same pivoting as you. Shouldn't you (the more skilled player) be able to adapt and beat the less skilled player or are you in fact the less skilled player?
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Have fun being a drop-in all-star/forum warrior. The skill you possess is something I could never fathom reaching. You are blatantly too good at this game judging by your opinion on the skating engine. I am sorry to doubt the all and powerful in an open forum.

You done?

Where did I mention anything about my skill or any opinion on the skating engine?

Easy on the trigger.

All I'm saying is all you guys who say "bring back skill" need to simmer and realize the game has changed and you might not be the more skilled gamers anymore.

If you are still the champ and want to complain anyway, then go right ahead.
    Have fun being a drop-in all-star/forum warrior. The skill you possess is something I could never fathom reaching. You are blatantly too good at this game judging by your opinion on the skating engine. I am sorry to doubt the all and powerful in an open forum.

You done?

Where did I mention anything about my skill or any opinion on the skating engine?

You really need to calm down.

What I'm saying is all you guys who say "bring back skill" need to simmer and realize the game has changed and you might not be the more skilled gamers anymore.

popcorn-yes.gif

You done?

Easy on the trigger.

What I'm saying is all you guys who say "bring back skill" need to simmer and realize the game has changed and you might not be the more skilled gamers anymore.

How can anyone tell who the real skilled players are anymore with all the auto this auto that things in the game?

• Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    mhandymanb wrote: »

You done?

Easy on the trigger.

How can anyone tell who the real skilled players are anymore with all the auto this auto that things in the game?

Everyone plays the same game. Dekes are no longer dependant purely on skill, but overall the player with the more skill is more likely to win.

I can drop in with 9 other skaters and tell almost instantly who has hockey knowledge and who knows the fundamentals. I can also tell who is a veteran NHL player and who is either new or just flat out bad.

I will agree the game has been tuned to help casual gamers but you can still tell who the skilled players are.
    If you seriously think this direction is good for the series after seeing how little 6s teams there are left, then idk what to tell you bud.

Once again I never offered an opinion but feel free to assume whatever you want.
  • mhandymanb wrote: »

You done?

Easy on the trigger.

Everyone plays the same game. Dekes are no longer dependant purely on skill, but overall the player with the more skill is more likely to win.

I can drop in with 9 other skaters and tell almost instantly who has hockey knowledge and who knows the fundamentals. I can also tell who is a veteran NHL player and who is either new or just flat out bad.

I will agree the game has been tuned to help casual gamers but you can still tell who the skilled players are.

That bold part used to be true, but today it couldn't be any more of a lie. The package is the same for everybody. The game code is the same for everybody. For that part it is the same game.

FOR WHATEVER REASON THAT EA WON'T TELL US OR FIX, the fat-man lag and delay is the REAL decider of who the "top players" will be each year. Many times when I am lagging I can tell before the game ends (or I quit out) that I am probably playing against a higher-ranked player simply from how slow my team is and how turbo-charged theirs is.

If you have skill and never lag you WILL be a top player. If you have skill and lag a lot you WILL NOT be a top player. If you have no skill and never lag you MIGHT be able to be a top player.

It's simple really. There are two versions of the game. The one that lags and the one that doesn't. They are VERY different from one another. I don't want anything to do with this any more until EA decides that everybody can have the same game.
  • djneohockey
    721 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Skating felt more realistic and better in last gens NHL 13 than current gen NHL 17.
    Other animations are pretty much the same. Goalies are pretty much the same. Ai same.

If the only true improvement after all these years and money you pay, you get is puck physics (thank God for that), then you are frustrated.
    Now, instead of polishing and significant improvements to NHL game, we get 3 on 3 minigame. Which eaten 80% resources. Awesome :neutral:
  • Skating felt more realistic and better in last gens NHL 13 than current gen NHL 17.
    Other animations are pretty much the same. Goalies are pretty much the same. Ai same.

If the only true improvement after all these years and money you pay, you get is puck physics (thank God for that), then you are frustrated.
    Now, instead of polishing and significant improvements to NHL game, we get 3 on 3 minigame. Which eaten 80% resources. Awesome :neutral:

Here's the kicker with that. That mini-game is the smoothest the game-play has been since old-gen. The skating in the rest of the modes just gets worse every year.

I will probably play out the beta until either it ends or frustration gets the best of me, but this is EASILY a NO BUY this year. I might give EA 10 bucks for the THREEs as a standalone game if they ever offered it that way, but everything else is junk.
  • Everyone on here complaining is going to end up buying the game in September lol
  • Everyone on here complaining is going to end up buying the game in September lol

preorder
  • Skating felt more realistic and better in last gens NHL 13 than current gen NHL 17.

Here's the kicker with that. That mini-game is the smoothest the game-play has been since old-gen. The skating in the rest of the modes just gets worse every year.

I will probably play out the beta until either it ends or frustration gets the best of me, but this is EASILY a NO BUY this year. I might give EA 10 bucks for the THREEs as a standalone game if they ever offered it that way, but everything else is junk.

Hah that's interesting.
    That was actually one of the arguments what I said to EA why I think to put such enormous resources to a minigame is an awful idea (around January I think).
    People won't buy it for the price of full AAA game.
    Rammer think that's what people buy, so I we'll see I guess.