EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 1st

Check out our latest content update, bug fixes & key areas on which we need your feedback here.

3s EASHL Feedback Thread...

I played roughly 15 3s EASHL games last night, Gotta say it was really enjoyable. There was a new dynamic and strategy to work as single unit that I thought was refreshing, fact paced, and satisfying. Playing 10ish as a G was easier than I thought it would be (probably due to great team D from my club).

Overall the game benefits from the reduced bodies on the ice. Sometimes 6v6 can end up being such a cluster**** in areas like the slot, corner, and behind the net that it takes away from the action. 3s gets you in and out and the puck moving quicker and easier between teammates and transitioning. The open areas on draws made for some very nice face-off plays we worked out over the course of a game.

I don't think its the second coming of Christ here, but it has been a lot of fun.

Some tweaks I would like to see are:
1.) Face-off positioning variety- 3s would greatly benefit from letting the winger and D man freely choose where they line up on draws. I was thinking either give 3-5 seconds pre face-off to let us pick from 1-4 preset spots to line up on the draw or make it easier for us to quick switch preset face-off positions. As of now its a pain to switch from Aggressive, Normal, Defensive f/o positions through the in game strategies menu. You have to rely on NOBODY hitting X on your team so you can use the menu in a very, very small window. And even then, it sets it for all 3 zones.

2.) Icing- I am not saying get rid of icing, but man oh man some games really slowed the pace from all the icings. It's mostly cause the beta is new and people are making bad passes combined with less bodies on the ice, but some games are littered with too much icings. I know people will blast me for this, but I would be more than happy to let a team choose to waive off icing during 3s EASHL, just to keep the pace of the spirit behind 3s. ***Added Note*** Icing should ALWAYS be waived when a goalie leaves his crease to play the puck. This could potentially solve a lot of my icing complaints

3.) Powerplays and PKs- I have seen a lot of complaints about this from other users on various boards. I do agree the AI is a chore to play with, but I also don't entirely agree with people suggesting penalties should got to 3v2. I also don't have any suggestions for the matter, but would like to acknowledge that the area would benefit from improvements

Anyways, that's my rant. I am hoping people here can comment their thoughts and ideas for this new game mode we have here. I think there's a lot of potential here. EA tends to ignore threads that get completely derailed so hopefully we can keep this one a nice healthy discussion.

Replies

• had our CPU goalie play the puck outside the trap.

B)
    Tastes Good With The Money https://youtube.com/watch?v=GS4dO-0YI2E
  • Agree with number 1, but i disagree with numbers 2 and 3.

Note: I agree with you about goalie coming out cancelling the icing however.

The reason i disagree with number 3 is that the whole point of EASHL 3s is to avoid AI completely. To see how bad it gets, i recommend watching 2bc's NHL 18 Beta impressions/live gameplay Eashl 3s videos he uploaded yesterday. He does get too fussy over the AI joining play, but he makes valid points.
  • RayFinkle1515
    351 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    had our CPU goalie play the puck outside the trap.

B)

I actually wouldn't be opposed to eliminating the trapezoid rules in 3s EASHL. Channel my inner Brodeur in the corners out there.

The reason i disagree with number 3 is that the whole point of EASHL 3s is to avoid AI completely. To see how bad it gets, i recommend watching 2bc's NHL 18 Beta impressions/live gameplay Eashl 3s videos he uploaded yesterday. He does get too fussy over the AI joining play, but he makes valid points.

I will definitely check it out when I'm out of work. I do agree the way it is now isn't great. Just not sold on going to 3v2 and potentially 3v1 for penalties. But I guess if the community voices concerns that would really be the only direction to go
  • instead of adding AI or going to 3v2 on penalties, just do penalty shots...just like NHL Threes game mode
  • Scheckel29 wrote: »
    instead of adding AI or going to 3v2 on penalties, just do penalty shots...just like NHL Threes game mode

Thing is, with the open ice, too many lesser skilled players end up lazily going for poke checks that have almost zero chance of hitting the puck, resulting in tons of tripping penalties.

I believe ultimately, eashl 3s players will opt for more speed and less physicality, whereas NHL 3s, there is a place for agressive body checking due to the smaller ice surface.

A pp is the better way to go for eashl 3s, especially in a game that includes human goalies. I dont think anyone wants the game to technically be decided via shootout where the cpu goalies could magically be amazing or horrible...or the human goalies letting in nearly 10 goals just from penalty shots.
    instead of adding AI or going to 3v2 on penalties, just do penalty shots...just like NHL Threes game mode

Thing is, with the open ice, too many lesser skilled players end up lazily going for poke checks that have almost zero chance of hitting the puck, resulting in tons of tripping penalties.

I believe ultimately, eashl 3s players will opt for more speed and less physicality, whereas NHL 3s, there is a place for agressive body checking due to the smaller ice surface.

A pp is the better way to go for eashl 3s, especially in a game that includes human goalies. I dont think anyone wants the game to technically be decided via shootout where the cpu goalies could magically be amazing or horrible...or the human goalies letting in nearly 10 goals just from penalty shots.

Im looking at it as an all human team going against all human team. 4v4 technically. If its like that (which is normally the only way I play), I don't care if it is 3v2 or penalty shot but it has to be one or the other. Adding AI to an all human game is terrible and not fun. In EASHL, 98% of the time I only play with a full 6 (and now 6 or 4).
    Scheckel29 wrote: »

Im looking at it as an all human team going against all human team. 4v4 technically. If its like that (which is normally the only way I play), I don't care if it is 3v2 or penalty shot but it has to be one or the other. Adding AI to an all human game is terrible and not fun. In EASHL, 98% of the time I only play with a full 6 (and now 6 or 4).

Agree completely. When i meant pp, I was speaking in terms of a potential 3v2.

Why not even implement both pp and the penalty shot? I think it would be completely unplayable to have 3v1 for the second penalty or even 3v0 on the third XD

Perhaps at the moment the delayed penalty is called during a 3v2 pp against the pk team, the play should be called dead for a penalty shot? Even if the penalty shot is scored, the pp will continue for the remaining time, as per standard rules.
  • had the fat man lag whole day today. have to say with the input delay the 3s is quite unenjoyable . even more so than 6s. really hard to win even against average players.

• Perhaps at the moment the delayed penalty is called during a 3v2 pp against the pk team, the play should be called dead for a penalty shot? Even if the penalty shot is scored, the pp will continue for the remaining time, as per standard rules.

I like that actually. 3v2 I could get behind, but anything less from there would start to feel ridiculous.

Also, something I forgot to add in my OP,

4.) Ability to run 3vs3(With Goalies) AND 6v6- Pretty self explanatory there. In case a club has 10 people on.
  • Scheckel29
    4 posts Member
    edited July 2017

Perhaps at the moment the delayed penalty is called during a 3v2 pp against the pk team, the play should be called dead for a penalty shot? Even if the penalty shot is scored, the pp will continue for the remaining time, as per standard rules.

I like that actually. 3v2 I could get behind, but anything less from there would start to feel ridiculous.

Also, something I forgot to add in my OP,

4.) Ability to run 3vs3(With Goalies) AND 6v6- Pretty self explanatory there. In case a club has 10 people on.

+1 on the ability to run 3s (4s) and 6s on the same club at the same time