EA Forums - Banner

TPS still the plague of this series.

Prev1
kezz123
600 posts Member
Wonky unresponsive controls.
Skating simulator gone bad

Megaman was successful in large part because of its crisp controls. Most games are.

Playing defense is once again a mess. Sure...the defensive skill stick helps. The skating is atrocious. I feel like a 3 year old learning to skate and pivot for the first time all over again. NOT the experience I am seeking when playing an NHL (emphasis on NHL) game.

your TPS is like exaggerated skating simulation. Everything is amplified....there is no such thing as a quick braking / going...its full fledge braking that takes forever and drop you to 0 momentum then full fledge long strides etc. its hard to describe but it feels (emphasis on FEEL) terrible.

Im going to continue NOT buying an NHL game up to such a point where the TPS is gone or at least completely redesigned.

Replies

• I've only played one 3v3 EASHL game and it was thick. Was pretty disappointed.
  • kezz123
    600 posts Member
    yah me and my friend played like 2 games ( i played 4-5 more on my own before) and we are pretty much done with the series for now.

I mean, the last game we played we were winning 5-2 but couldnt wait for the game to end
    its just soooo boring now.
  • signed. TPS is a failure and until they realize it this is what we'll have to suffer through. it's just not fun. i'm playing destiny 1 instead of the beta LOL.
  • Agreed, tried the beta after our team passed on buying NHL 17, not sure how after how many years it still feels terrible. I just don't get how they play this game and are ok with it, like it isn't a new thing people are asking for. They just need to make one of the older NHL games backwards compatible and turn on the servers so we can play an NHL game that actually works.
  • CrushNHL
    460 posts Member
    Agreed. Game will never be good until TPS is gone. 3s is at least bearable because it's more responsive, but the 5v5 modes are still unplayable dumpster fires online.
  • sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    I don't know how many times or how many years EA has to hear TPS is the #1 complaint before they do something about it, this is way past ridiculous!!! This game is terrible because you can't control your skater properly, non responsive, sluggixh.
  • djneohockey
    721 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Please don't say the current state of TPS is this poor, because it simulates the real world skating.

It's a mess, because it's not well done, not because it's skating simulator.
    Skating in reality looks very different than what we have now in the game. Actually NHL 13 skating felt more like a simulation, worked better and looked little more polished.

They made very few changes in skating in in all 6 years and all of them for the worse. That's the problem. From some reason they keep spending resources on things that adds very little to the core. Thus making another holes that needs another fixing. But they don't have man power for that.

Anw.

We need build the skating engine from the ground up for 19 and this time for real.

PS can't really comment seriously 18. Haven't played it myself yet. Just saw vids
    Post edited by djneohockey on
  • skating in nhl 13 was nothing close to realistic only pieces of it were... pieces of it were horribly unrealistic and completely terrible experience as well. They kept tweaking it and getting it better and better until nhl 15 on current gen which took a giant step back. I thought 16 and 17 got better, 18 is another step back. i can't explain it but just seems like there's a delay half the time
  • Yea skating is more or less the same and equally as frustrating as it was in NHL 17. To provide an example I was playing the beta and there was a loose puck in front of my net in the defensive zone, about 5 feet from the crease. In real life, my defenseman would have approached the puck, made a hard, full hockey stop and started skating the other way. In this instance, as soon as I gathered the puck and stopped to go the other way, there was this extended glide stop animation that took me into my own goalie. My defenseman promptly lost control of the puck (after brushing the goalie) and in the net it goes. It is THAT type of thing that frustrates people.
  • kezz123
    600 posts Member
    Please don't say the current state of TPS is this poor, because it simulates the real world skating.

Skating in reality looks very different than what we have now in the game. Actually NHL 13 skating felt more like a simulation, worked better and looked little more polished.

They made very few changes in skating in in all 6 years and all of them for the worse. That's the problem. From some reason they keep spending resources on things that adds very little to the core. Thus making another holes that needs another fixing. But they don't have man power for that.

Anw.

We need build the skating engine from the ground up for 19 and this time for real.

PS can't really comment seriously 18. Haven't played it myself yet. Just saw vids

No, it is 100% because they are trying to simulate real world skating that it fails.
    Its trying to simulate all the edges and little things that could go WRONG with skating (stop and start, sharp turns, pivoting) but using a controller to try and mimic what you would do instinctively with 2 feet.

Walking and running is simple. I can run in circle I can do side steps I can stop and go etc but did you ever try one of those nintendo olympic games back in the days that tried to simulate running by putting controls on each legs? its horrible. But at least in that game, the ENTIRE point was to run....so it didnt distract from anything else.

In this game, skating is a portion of the game and it distracts HEAVILY from the MAIN reason you want to play this game....HOCKEY....stick and pucks. The thing you can do on skates, rollerblades, shoes, on your knees with mini sticks, etc.

Its ok to have some physics that resemble skating IRL but only to an extent. Like you said, 13 felt and looked much better than this mess today. Whoever says "oh but it wasnt as realistic" clearly is blindfolded and ignoring just how much less realistic it is to see these "nhl" players who look like they have a brain tumor while skating and pivoting.
  • kezz123
    600 posts Member
    apperos76 wrote: »
    Yea skating is more or less the same and equally as frustrating as it was in NHL 17. To provide an example I was playing the beta and there was a loose puck in front of my net in the defensive zone, about 5 feet from the crease. In real life, my defenseman would have approached the puck, made a hard, full hockey stop and started skating the other way. In this instance, as soon as I gathered the puck and stopped to go the other way, there was this extended glide stop animation that took me into my own goalie. My defenseman promptly lost control of the puck (after brushing the goalie) and in the net it goes. It is THAT type of thing that frustrates people.

Everything is vastly exaggerated. plus the controls are just not responsive. Plus you have no control over doing little things you could do if you actually controlled your skates. It feels like driving a schoolbus with summer tires on an ice half the time. its just pure trash.

• kezz123 wrote: »

Anw.

No, it is 100% because they are trying to simulate real world skating that it fails.
    Its trying to simulate all the edges and little things that could go WRONG with skating (stop and start, sharp turns, pivoting) but using a controller to try and mimic what you would do instinctively with 2 feet.

Walking and running is simple. I can run in circle I can do side steps I can stop and go etc but did you ever try one of those nintendo olympic games back in the days that tried to simulate running by putting controls on each legs? its horrible. But at least in that game, the ENTIRE point was to run....so it didnt distract from anything else.

In this game, skating is a portion of the game and it distracts HEAVILY from the MAIN reason you want to play this game....HOCKEY....stick and pucks. The thing you can do on skates, rollerblades, shoes, on your knees with mini sticks, etc.

Its ok to have some physics that resemble skating IRL but only to an extent. Like you said, 13 felt and looked much better than this mess today. Whoever says "oh but it wasnt as realistic" clearly is blindfolded and ignoring just how much less realistic it is to see these "nhl" players who look like they have a brain tumor while skating and pivoting.

This is the problem here. I've stated this years ago and it holds true today. This is supposed to be a HOCKEY game/simulator, not a SKATING simulator. They have the balance all backwards. They put so much emphasis on the skating that they neglect the simple hockey things. It didn't used to be that way. I started out in the NHL 08-09-10 era, and even though I didn't win-em-all those games were a BLAST.

I understand the need for physics and momentum, but this is HOCKEY before it is SKATING. The hockey has to come first, and right now I don't see that happening.
  • djneohockey
    721 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    So in other words, ya the skating is actually realistic now (they made a good job in making it realistic), but it's not fun? Thats how you see it?

Or

It's not fun for you nor me, because it's not realistic nor arcade?
    It's just somewhere in between, thus frustrates both of us?
    That's how I see it.
  • BarnakeDusty
    39 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    I think the fatigue effect, when your player has been on the ice for a short time, is greatly exaggerated. This could be the main issue in a series of issues why our players have no pep in their step at very slow speeds and at a standstill. This is a tweaking issue. When a player is tired the pivots become laughably slow. I'm not saying they should be as good as when you're fresh off the bench, but maybe this is what is causing most of the skating in mud effects.

There is some kind of momentum thing programmed in there that still produces momentum when there should be none. This is what probably explains the inexplicable warping/launching of players, especially when the walls are involved. I can't take much more of people just using the boards as trampolines when there's nowhere to go.
  • kezz123
    600 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    So in other words, ya the skating is actually realistic now (they made a good job in making it realistic), but it's not fun? Thats how you see it?

Or

That's how I see it.
    Its realistic to a 3 year old kid skating holding on a chair
    im a horrible skater IRL but i skate better than an NHLer based on this game.
  • kezz123 wrote: »

Or

That's how I see it.

Define what you mean by horrible.

I think some people believe they are "horrible" when they cant do some physical activity at a professional level.

Just because you can't skate backwards doesnt make you a terrible ice skater imo. You can still be quite good at speed skating.
  • kezz123
    600 posts Member
    kezz123 wrote: »

Or

That's how I see it.

Define what you mean by horrible.

I think some people believe they are "horrible" when they cant do some physical activity at a professional level.

Just because you can't skate backwards doesnt make you a terrible ice skater imo. You can still be quite good at speed skating.

I have a rare neuropathy (CMT) which you cant really tell if you'd see me in person that anything is wrong with me but it impacts my balance and reflexes a lot. Despite this, and being told I would never skate or play high reflex sports like goaltending, I was an amazing goaltender (played angle better to compensate for slower glove side) and I did manage to skate but probably the equivalent level of an average 8 year old. I still feel I can do a better job at moving around on the ice than I feel when playing this game in EASHL most of the time. Maybe its a slight exaggeration because id fall more often but I certainly feel a lot closer to my own real life skill level than that of an NHL player.
  • SaveUs2K wrote: »
    It's realistic if you're trying to imitate a four year old.
    Your fascination with 4 year olds is intriguing... I kid.