EA Forums - Banner

Dummy needs help with Puck Chop (PS4)

Let me save you some time, yes I am dumb. For the life of me I can't figure out how to chop a loose puck in NHL 18? I thought I read to hold L1+R3+move R stick to chop. The L1 is a block button which make you drop down to your one knee, so that can't be right. I didn't realize how much I use that move until I was unable to do it. What am I doing wrong? Please school this dummy.

Replies

• COGSx86
    781 posts Member
    Isn't it just R3 ?
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • It's click down R3 and aim with R3
  • I feel like I tried that and it didn't do anything. I'll try again. So push the R stick and then shoot with it while it is pressed down.
  • Yes click down and aim I'm having trouble with the regular between the legs deke Don't feel bad
  • it will take me a while to stop complaining about this but yes R3 + direction.... again no function that matters should ever use L3 or R3 but definitely nothing should be combined with that and absolutely in no way should you ever have to combine clicking R3 with a direction.

imo basically means puck chop is dead
  • it will take me a while to stop complaining about this but yes R3 + direction.... again no function that matters should ever use L3 or R3 but definitely nothing should be combined with that and absolutely in no way should you ever have to combine clicking R3 with a direction.

imo basically means puck chop is dead

Click and release it really fast, and then push it in a direction. It isn't bad once you get it.
  • it will take this old dog forever to change that muscle memory in this lightning fast game. whats weird is i didn't have any problem using old puck chop (RB + rs direction) all game long but i find it much more difficult to successfully use the DSS which is basically the same sequence. I think the old puck chop still worked if you hit right stick before hitting RB but DSS seems to just sit there doing nothing unless you make sure to fully press RB down before touching right stick.

• it will take this old dog forever to change that muscle memory in this lightning fast game. whats weird is i didn't have any problem using old puck chop (RB + rs direction) all game long but i find it much more difficult to successfully use the DSS which is basically the same sequence. I think the old puck chop still worked if you hit right stick before hitting RB but DSS seems to just sit there doing nothing unless you make sure to fully press RB down before touching right stick.

Same here, puck chop is so wonky now with the new way