EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

How can anybody play this game???

Really, how can anybody play this game online with even the smallest bit of lag or delay. I can't even get my skaters to skate without dragging on turns or while there is another skater within close proximity while my opponent's team can stick-handle, skate, turn, pass, and shoot like there is zero delay on his side. My latency was 34ms on said game by the way, so it's not like I was suffering a real lag situation.

I really don't understand how this is still an issue. We are now on the fourth installment of the game and nothing has changed. The game is still heavily influenced by the internet connection rather than a player's skill.

At least the problem showed up in full force in the Beta this year, so you know it isn't gonna get any better from this point forward.

Great job EA!!! Fail!!

Replies

• Really, how can anybody play this game online with even the smallest bit of lag or delay. I can't even get my skaters to skate without dragging on turns or while there is another skater within close proximity while my opponent's team can stick-handle, skate, turn, pass, and shoot like there is zero delay on his side. My latency was 34ms on said game by the way, so it's not like I was suffering a real lag situation.

I really don't understand how this is still an issue. We are now on the fourth installment of the game and nothing has changed. The game is still heavily influenced by the internet connection rather than a player's skill.

At least the problem showed up in full force in the Beta this year, so you know it isn't gonna get any better from this point forward.

Great job EA!!! Fail!!

not true.

now you can play with 2 less class-based players on the ice in an entirely new game mode.

• VeNOM2099
    2967 posts Member
    Really, how can anybody play this game online with even the smallest bit of lag or delay. I can't even get my skaters to skate without dragging on turns or while there is another skater within close proximity while my opponent's team can stick-handle, skate, turn, pass, and shoot like there is zero delay on his side. My latency was 34ms on said game by the way, so it's not like I was suffering a real lag situation.

Great job EA!!! Fail!!

See, that's the thing, nearly every game I've played, except maybe one or two, I had lag in the range of about 15-16ms. The only time it ever jumped higher was when I was streaming, but then it was low 16ms and highest 28ms, but it was still smooth as butter for me. Then I had two games where my ping was above 47ms. It was a bit delayed, but it was manageable.

It's sad that the lag is ruining your experience with the skating. Because without the lag, it's actually quite decent.
  • I hear ya. I used to get 10 ms , now my games are at 38-60 without me changing a thing on my end. Servers...bad
  • VeNOM2099
    2967 posts Member
    I hear ya. I used to get 10 ms , now my games are at 38-60 without me changing a thing on my end. Servers...bad

If that was the case then everyone's experience would be bad playing on the servers. And that's just not my experience.

Certainly, there are SOME people who are having a bad time. Is it solely on the user's end? Is it solely on EA's Servers end?

I think it's a little of both. The results (for you and those like you) however, seem to be the same.
  • Oh I know, I was one of the lucky ones...all of a sudden ...I'm not
  • Really, how can anybody play this game online with even the smallest bit of lag or delay. I can't even get my skaters to skate without dragging on turns or while there is another skater within close proximity while my opponent's team can stick-handle, skate, turn, pass, and shoot like there is zero delay on his side. My latency was 34ms on said game by the way, so it's not like I was suffering a real lag situation.

Great job EA!!! Fail!!

not true.

now you can play with 2 less class-based players on the ice in an entirely new game mode.

THIS JUST IN

Can confirm, 3v3 will save the game as we know it #DangleCellyShotDragTopCircleCheddarCheeseWhereMomHidesTheCookiesJoeB
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1195 posts Member
    I feel the online connection has been fairly decent actually, better than in NHL17. Except for one game in drop-in where I had this bad rubber-banding when in goal.

Of course, the release version might be entirely different.
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2481 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Played 2 games yesterday with 12ms and they played great. The other night I was playing at 35 and it was pretty bad.

I'm likely buying the game for the offline but I hate how the online experience is a crapshoot.
  • Janikka
    35 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    I don't mean to be rude, but I don't understand why many players who post saying they suffer from lag say they can't do anything at all and yet their opponents can do absolutely everything just perfectly. Is this a versus mode thing? I know versus and HUT are P2P, but I imagine everyone will be the host in some games. If the reason their opponent can turn on a dime and not miss a single poke while they can't even skate north and south without their player doing things they don't intend (pretty much the sort of thing these people will claim) is that the opponent is hosting the game, the experience should be reversed when they are hosting.

Also, a lot of people here who have bad lag say they lose to far worse players because of it, and when they have the odd smooth experience they turn into the absolute best player in the world. That's kind of weird, too.

The OP of this thread didn't say anything like that, though, so these are just general observations.
  • RedBull1973JL
    741 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Janikka wrote: »
    I don't mean to be rude, but I don't understand why many players who post saying they suffer from lag say they can't do anything at all and yet their opponents can do absolutely everything just perfectly. Is this a versus mode thing? I know versus and HUT are P2P, but I imagine everyone will be the host in some games. If the reason their opponent can turn on a dime and not miss a single poke while they can't even skate north and south without their player doing things they don't intend (pretty much the sort of thing these people will claim) is that the opponent is hosting the game, the experience should be reversed when they are hosting.

Also, a lot of people here who have bad lag say they lose to far worse players because of it, and when they have the odd smooth experience they turn into the absolute best player in the world. That's kind of weird, too.

The OP of this thread didn't say anything like that, though, so these are just general observations.

To clarify a bit, these are things that have been pretty regular for me in VS and HUT modes mostly with no rhyme or reason. For example, I could play a game with 60ms latency and it be OK, but then play another one at 25ms and it be the worst controller experience ever...or vice versa.

EASHL mode usually shows the same latency every game at around 25ms or so, but even then it's a crapshoot as to the type of experience I will have.

Your bolded part hit it right on the head too. With the lag it feels like players that don't know what they are doing can beat you just because they have the controller advantage. When the tables are turned and I have the advantage (almost never) it feels like my team is invincible and I can do anything on the controller that I want to. The best way to explain what it looks like playing a game this way is to max out everybody's ratings on one side and minimize them on the other side and then play a game that way.

Another good way to explain it is this. This is kind of a twitch-style game that requires instant input to be a good player. Now if Team A's controller input is registering instantly (like it's supposed to) and Team B's input is being delayed or "lost" somewhere then Team A automatically has a big twitch advantage over Team B, and even if Team B is by far the better player Team A can or will win the game.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    I hear ya. I used to get 10 ms , now my games are at 38-60 without me changing a thing on my end. Servers...bad

If that was the case then everyone's experience would be bad playing on the servers. And that's just not my experience.

Certainly, there are SOME people who are having a bad time. Is it solely on the user's end? Is it solely on EA's Servers end?

I think it's a little of both. The results (for you and those like you) however, seem to be the same.

mine (east) is still 12-15 ms steady.

I don't have any extreme west coast folks on my team to compare nummies with the HandsomeCatfish.
  • i get 12-15 every game but still seems lagging
    THE...Detriot Frenzy Alumni
  • Follisimo
    797 posts Member
    edited July 2017

Great job EA!!! Fail!!

My MS went from low to mid 20's in NHL 17 to low to mid teens for NHL 18 beta. Things feel very smooth for me.
  • you can still have 10ms and the game will have input delay, ITS A JOKE. DO NOT BUY
  • you can still have 10ms and the game will have input delay, ITS A JOKE. DO NOT BUY

I mean... yes... it's the internet... so the delay is 10 milliseconds.

I'm not getting the game either as the beta has left my EASHL Teammates and myself dissatisfied with the product, but this post is silly.
  • Nicks1225 wrote: »
    you can still have 10ms and the game will have input delay, ITS A JOKE. DO NOT BUY

I mean... yes... it's the internet... so the delay is 10 milliseconds.

I'm not getting the game either as the beta has left my EASHL Teammates and myself dissatisfied with the product, but this post is silly.

You shouldn't notice any delay with 10 or less MS, even though there is one. Don't be a ❤️❤️❤️❤️.