EA Forums - Banner

NHL 18 beta lag and matchmaking

I played over 40 games of EASHL throughout the beta on both PSN and XBL. I am happy to say that I only lagged and was put on the wrong server three times. That is pretty incredible. In NHL 17, I was put on the east servers and had to deal with lag for over half my games and it led to a miserable experience.

So, I am wondering if the matchmaking has been fixed and it will indeed put us in the correct server? I am not convinced yet as this is only the beta and NHL 17 seemed pretty good up until December. I then started getting matched up on east constantly.

We really should have the option to force the region based on our preference. However, the matchmaking worked very well during the beta for me.

How have other people's experiences been with lag and matchmaking during the NHL 18 beta? How does it compare to NHL 17?

Replies

• kezz123
    572 posts Member
    its beta its always smoother than after release. each year someone makes a post like yours and change stance at release. Considering how little changed in the game, ill let you draw your own conclusions
  • @BassMan_PC did you notice/or do you notice a difference in connection from ps to xbox?

also curious...Bass as in Geddy/Flea or fishing?
    THE...Detriot Frenzy Alumni
  • Kezz is completely right. I never get significant lag during the beta, but the full release becomes almost unplayable competitively for 90% of the games.
  • @BassMan_PC did you notice/or do you notice a difference in connection from ps to xbox?

also curious...Bass as in Geddy/Flea or fishing?

The bass that goes BOOM. Hehe :)

The connection seems the same to me between PS and Xbox provided that I am put on a west server. I only lag when on an east server. The beta seemed good on both consoles in that regard, but I played about 75% of my games on PS during the beta.
  • Did EA pay you for this post? Input delay is almost constant and atrocious. Game is in terrible shape from lack of responsiveness alone.
  • LOL, no. I am just giving my honest impressions. I have struggled with lag for so long due to the garbage matchmaking. The beta has been amazing for me in terms of lag. That is why I started the thread.
  • BassMan_PC
    352 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Hmmm... I played a few games tonight in a short period that were on east host. It felt like garbage. This is the worst it has been during the beta. I hope they have not fiddled with the matchmaking logic and made it bad again. I am worried.

I really don't understand why we can not force a region. That would eliminate any errors in the matchmaking.
  • How do you know which region your connection to? I am baffled how the system works, since over here in Europe we can get connected to a match with red (briefly flashing) turning into yellow bars, and then when we back out, the next match is against the same opponent, only this time the bars are green. And all the time the opponent was in the same or neughbouring country to us, judging by their names. There's only one server in Europe isn't there?

If we play the match with yellow bars, the ping is around 60 to 70, when normally with green bars it's about 30. And all the time the opponents are within relatively small range geographically.

• BassMan_PC
    352 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Yeah. I think there is only one server for Europe. In NA, there is west and east. I usually get 18ms on west and 47ms on east. Usually the pings give an accurate indication of the server I am on, but sometimes I will have low ping on what feels like an east server. Ultimately, how it feels is what matters. If it is delayed, it is bad. I am very sensitive to lag and I only want to match up on the west server.
  • Haven't had much lag at all. Only a few games but I suspected people are lag switching in beta yet again. I'm on the east coast in the US.
  • when you connect to eashl EA will run some kind of check and determine which server it thinks you are closest to and from there on out, during that session, it will assume you are going to go through that server.

You can check this from club search page. If you are not on the right one you just need to disconnect/reconnect from internet and then go back to eashl page again. on PS4, fastest way is to just go to PS settings and run internet test. Also a good way to know you have a decent connection. I get put on the wrong server about 1/5th of the time. so i check first thing every time i play.
  • when you connect to eashl EA will run some kind of check and determine which server it thinks you are closest to and from there on out, during that session, it will assume you are going to go through that server.

You can check this from club search page. If you are not on the right one you just need to disconnect/reconnect from internet and then go back to eashl page again. on PS4, fastest way is to just go to PS settings and run internet test. Also a good way to know you have a decent connection. I get put on the wrong server about 1/5th of the time. so i check first thing every time i play.

Can you please elaborate on this a bit more? I am now in the East Region when i check. I keep hooking up with Canadian teams which is giving me the lag. I am from MN. My first 40-50 games were amazing. Mostly U.S. teams. My last 20 games have had the steady 1 steady 1 second behind.

Your idea interests me. I have tried the test connection and i get kicked out of EASHL confirming it reconnects, but every time i check club it was East (recommended). Also tried router reset. I would do anything to get out of the trashy server again. Thanks for your input!