EA Forums - Banner

You guys are misunderstanding this whole beta thing

Replies

• "If it wasn't that difficult, you'd see a ton of hockey games on the market. I'd love to see all the people here that think it's not that difficult to make a hockey game actually make one. You guys keep asking for someone else to make one. Do it yourselves if it's so easy."

NO....
    Not enough people play this game....what maybe 250 000...and getting less every year.thats why nobody else is making a game.

This post literally had no reasoning behind why no one makes games.
  • kezz123 wrote: »
    Everyone saying they aren't playing the beta anymore, that leaves less people to give feedback to EA, and what does that mean? It means less stuff gets changed. If you don't want the same game every year, then how about just play the freaking beta and report what changes you wanna see, WITHOUT insulting them and being douchebags

I think you are the one who misunderstands.

A beta for a new game...a new concept.....is important to help iron out the bugs and issues before release so that the new concept has a solid start and chance to succeed.

NHL xx isnt a new concept. It certainly isnt a new game. its the same game as last year and the year before. The issue to most people is no longer about bugs but about whether the concept is good or bad. Most people find the concept bad so they have no interest in helping fix the bugs to what? still not find the game fun for a 4th year in a row?

The issues have been laid out over and over. Nhl 17 was the beta.....and so was 16. The major issues remain the same with the 2 most notable being servers and TPS. But there is so much more and its been ironed out everywhere over and over again.

Now on the flip side, this is an open beta which means the people who still love the concept can test and provide feedback. If nobody is, then that tells you a pretty clear message about the state of the game.

Or that sweaty tryhards are enraged that HUT isnt in the beta. And 17 wasnt "the beta" in case you havent noticed, theyve pushed itty bitty updates out everyday for the beta just tweaking small stuff. They can't do that during say nhl17 because people would get upset that they have to wait for a download everyday.

You, and a hell of a lot of others seem to have the idea that they just replace the number on the cover every year and call it good. They've had some good features introduced in 18 and even 17. 17, they added sniping back, but lemme guess, you aren't happy with that are you? You'd rather go back to 16 where it was impossible to score on a goalie unless you did a one timer. They added a new difficulty, semi-pro, but lemme guess, you don't care because you play online, therefore it's useless huh? They added defensive skill stick, but lemme guess, you dont care because youre a winger who likes to cherry pick a the blueline, so you dont need to play d. They added new skill dekes, but lemme guess, you dont care because you can do em and you cant string them together, so it obviously means it's a bad feature. They added RVH to goalies, but lemme guess, you dont care because youre not a goalie, right? On top of that, they added shoulder saves to goalies, that way you can't get "glitch sniped" (even though there are no glitch shots in the game).

No matter what they add, you guys are going to overlook it and get right back to the negatives. Don't get me wrong, there's stuff in the game that should be fixed by now, but you guys need to stop complaining and just try and see the positives.

Also, the whole "im paying $60 for this crap?!" argument, people fail to realize they are playing a new and improved game FOR FREE, ya idiots
  • kezz123
    647 posts Member
    I havent bought the game in years. I bought 14 used, I skiped 15, I bought 16 used months after only based on peer pressure from y old clubmates who missed hockey too much...we played 1 week and never after. I skipped 17 but recently played through EA access.....5-10 games I think? never again. Skipping 18.

so im voting with my wallet for now. I hate the gameplay now. I dont want 16 I want nhl10-11. 16 was the beta for 17 and 17 was the beta for 18 in the sense that its the same game. 18 is 16 + a couple of patches. Unless this is the first online game you ever played, I cant excuse you for not seeing how little content has been added in 2 years to justify the entry fee of 2 new games. These are AT MOST expansions to the game which retail for much cheaper than a full product.

I said before I like a lot of things the devs are adding in the last few years.
    Im a huge supporter of the removal of custom attributes and addition of preset builds.
    im a huge fan of the customization of any aspect of the game but especially the new EASHL arenas goal horns etc etc.
    I like that they added the defensive skill stick and I like that they added 3s.

BUT

THE....GAME....JUST.....ISNT.....FUN

So yah, as much as those things I like COULD be fun, they arent because of many other core issues with the game.

• The way i look at it is this:

NHL 16 is the game we should have gotten for NHL 15.

While NHL 18 so far feels like the game NHL 17 should have been (at least from what you guys are saying.

So assuming NHL 16 was actually 15, we would have been playing NHL 18 two years ago.
  • Beta is for feedback to tweak the game and make major and minor adjustments as necessary. Beta isn't a demo of a finished product, but I don't blame people for feeling that way these days. The Steam platform has spoiled us with "Early Access" and perverted what an actual finished product is for us as consumers compared to the standards many of us who are around 25+ had growing up.

NHL 17 demonstrated that EA Vancouver is perfectly capable of making the changes necessary to fix concerns we had in different areas of the game, so I don't believe declaring NHL 18 a finished product judging by the Beta is fair to the team in Vancouver.

I believe it's important to keep in mind that the team working on NHL is small compared to flagship titles like FIFA and Madden. So it's important to find the bite sized issues that they can tackle and give thorough feedback on them.

I'm not saying that there aren't major flaws with the way the game plays in certain areas, and I do believe that isn't lost on the Dev team, but those issues may not be best addressed in Beta feedback.

The game is going though a big change in the coming year, going to Frostbite, judging by what's been published recently, and I would expect the EA Sports Vancouver team to look back and address some of our major legacy issues as part of the swap to the new engine. However, we do need to cross our fingers that they get a staff boost in place to help with them transition, because that by itself is no easy task.
    Twitch: MadCard05
    Youtube: Madwolf Gaming
  • It should also be kept in mind that the beta is generally released from a build of the game that is a few weeks of revisions behind. Not sure if the NHL team ever mentioned this, but the Madden guys did when they've been interviewed or interacted with the community in years past.

Part of that is needing to get the game in a semi-polished state so that it will pass the QA for EA, Sony, and Microsoft to be placed as available for download. And by that I mean making sure it is functional and isn't going to crash or cause a system to run to hot or what have you, not really from a game play perspective.
    Twitch: MadCard05
    Youtube: Madwolf Gaming
  • bryta47
    373 posts Member
    Also, the whole "im paying $60 for this crap?!" argument, people fail to realize they are playing a new and improved game FOR FREE, ya ****

What?

• Beta is a marketing tool, just like their survey.

Nothing else.
    I havent bought the game in years. I bought 14 used, I skiped 15, I bought 16 used months after only based on peer pressure from y old clubmates who missed hockey too much...we played 1 week and never after. I skipped 17 but recently played through EA access.....5-10 games I think? never again. Skipping 18.

so im voting with my wallet for now. I hate the gameplay now. I dont want 16 I want nhl10-11. 16 was the beta for 17 and 17 was the beta for 18 in the sense that its the same game. 18 is 16 + a couple of patches. Unless this is the first online game you ever played, I cant excuse you for not seeing how little content has been added in 2 years to justify the entry fee of 2 new games. These are AT MOST expansions to the game which retail for much cheaper than a full product.

Im a huge supporter of the removal of custom attributes and addition of preset builds.
    im a huge fan of the customization of any aspect of the game but especially the new EASHL arenas goal horns etc etc.

BUT

So yah, as much as those things I like COULD be fun, they arent because of many other core issues with the game.

This hits the nail on the head so hard.

The game will never reach its full potential and will never be as fun as it can until the skating is fixed. Good controls are the first thing you need for a good game and the skating in the game is still lacking.
  • Excellent point OP but remember this... People have been in NHL betas before and have given a crap ton of feedback but guess what OP, NOTHING ever gets fixed. EVER.. So you can't blame them for not wanting to play something which they feel EA is just using their betas for marketing purposes.
  • I wanted to play the beta yesterday at around dinner time, nobody was on. Took 30 minutes to play a game of 3 forwards and a goalie on each team.
  • NuttySportsFan
    429 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    ThomasN7 wrote: »
    Excellent point OP but remember this... People have been in NHL betas before and have given a crap ton of feedback but guess what OP, NOTHING ever gets fixed. EVER.. So you can't blame them for not wanting to play something which they feel EA is just using their betas for marketing purposes.

Nevermind that there seems to be a lack of communication within the dev team. The ONL_producer account said yesterday that in Drop ins, when the human controlled goalie quits, Weeks or Sieve should take over at the next stoppage of play. I brought up that there could be a glitch in the Beta regarding this, and ONLY THEN was the ONL guy told by the QA team about a game breaking glitch and how it was intentionally left out of the Beta. That's pretty scary considering the time frame we are looking at. Week 2 of the BETA and he had no idea about that?

BUT

Our team followed a similar path and agree with this for the most part. We would even take NHL 13-15 on last gen at this point. We skipped 17 and probably won't be getting 18, the skating isn't going to be fixed based on any kind of feedback, if the last 4-5 years are any indication.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    Let's get something straight, at this point, the "code" and the "features" for the game are pretty much set in stone.

So although some things can (and probably will) change for the full release, it will likely be small tweaks that EA thinks will improve the game. But let's get one thing clear; NOTHING WILL GET FIXED.

Last year, the goalie community asked for changes to make the goalies more effective. Some changes were done to the position that made them better, but at the same time some things were left broken and needed "code" to fix, like the legacy issues with the post hugging and puck covering, Collision detection, etc. After playing the NHL 18 BETA, those "legacy" issues are still present. No new "code" was put into the game to correct the most glaring issues of the position.

I'm expecting a few tweaks for the full game release. And maybe even more after the mandatory day 1 patch (because you know the Dev team won't be given time to finish the game before release). But nothing will get fixed unless we get NEW CODE, which means likely not before NHL 19 or likely NHL 20 when (hopefully) the devs will get to work with the Frostbite engine.

Hopefully...
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Let's get something straight, at this point, the "code" and the "features" for the game are pretty much set in stone.

So although some things can (and probably will) change for the full release, it will likely be small tweaks that EA thinks will improve the game. But let's get one thing clear; NOTHING WILL GET FIXED.

Last year, the goalie community asked for changes to make the goalies more effective. Some changes were done to the position that made them better, but at the same time some things were left broken and needed "code" to fix, like the legacy issues with the post hugging and puck covering, Collision detection, etc. After playing the NHL 18 BETA, those "legacy" issues are still present. No new "code" was put into the game to correct the most glaring issues of the position.

I'm expecting a few tweaks for the full game release. And maybe even more after the mandatory day 1 patch (because you know the Dev team won't be given time to finish the game before release). But nothing will get fixed unless we get NEW CODE, which means likely not before NHL 19 or likely NHL 20 when (hopefully) the devs will get to work with the Frostbite engine.

Hopefully...

Even worse, FIFA didnt change because of the Frostbite engine. The same glitches as always were present. In fact, the goalies got worse and were completely oblivious to the existance of the ball at times. Go ahead, look up FIFA 17 gameplay and try to convince yourself it wasnt the same game.

Madden 18 is basically the same game so far from what has been seen in previews, with the addition of some pre-play control options that the game has desperately needed for years and a new optional passing system. Oh and supposedly AI controlled OL (guys who stand directly in front of the Quarterback protecting him) and DL (guys who need to be blocked by the OLs) players may have better play and opposing player recognition logic.

The thing FIFA 17 and Madden 18 have in commom? Some story mode with "choices" where you are forced to play as some guy you cant even customize. FIFA 18 continues the story, expanding play to multiple leagues. Madden 18 story finishes at the draft. Thats right, you dont even play an NFL game as the mode is being presented as a "playable movie"

Frostbite will slow down the development of NHL 19 to a halt and just give us a story mode the team will try sell as a main selling point of the game for years to come. No matter what happens, the suits at EA will see FIFA's story mode as a huge success and point to sales, even though it would sell the most copies of all spots games no matter what.

Who is ready to play a first installment of a horribly written story mode next year? I swear, this is like the (DOT) Hack video games all over again, minus the deep gameplay.

/rant
  • B_Bunny
    893 posts Moderator
    Id be surprised if they made a story mode for nhl.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • djneohockey
    732 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    "from mascot to NHL legend". They already set the foundation Lol
    Post edited by djneohockey on
  • @EA stop focusing on **** things like 3 versus 3 with mascot!! We want real hockey simulation !!Exemple, GM Mode Online , more options in EASHL (like add leagues in, practice with your teams) ,a phone apps like for Fifa ( sell/trading cards) , a kind of warmup before the games in EASHL that will be very fine.!!

Please EA , for me your best NHL was NHL 14... with GM connected... A phone apps for HUT and GM connected
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    B-Bunny wrote: »
    Id be surprised if they made a story mode for nhl.

^ This.

With the cost of producing something like a "story mode" I don't see the small NHL team given a budget that would even pay for the production of a 10 second commercial on a Public Access Channel.