EA Forums - Banner

You guys are misunderstanding this whole beta thing

Replies

• djneohockey
    732 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Makes sense Venom for sure.
    On the other hand, It also made perfect sense for them to not put so much focus and resources on minigame tho, if the gameplay and existing modes are so shallow.
    It also made perfect sense to incorporate DSS in NHL 11 or even sooner.
    So I'm not really sure anymore.
    Post edited by djneohockey on
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    Everyone saying they aren't playing the beta anymore, that leaves less people to give feedback to EA, and what does that mean? It means less stuff gets changed. If you don't want the same game every year, then how about just play the freaking beta and report what changes you wanna see, WITHOUT insulting them and being douchebags

LOL

What other games need betas to figure out major game breaking issues? Most of the betas that are out there are the devs and close people to development team testing out bugs, glitches, connectivity issues.

It's not the job of the consumer to fix the game. To say what you are saying is that the game cannot be successful without user feedback from a beta. Bull crap. They're adults, programmers, hockey fans.... it's not that difficult

Almost every game released gets some form of closed/open public beta. They rely on the consumer because if it were up to developers to make their game, it would be vastly different. One you would probably hate more because they'd want it to be more sim and more hardcore. The fact is that most people can't handle that kind of game because it's more frustrating than fun for them. Not taking consumer feedback is a HUGE mistake.

If it wasn't that difficult, you'd see a ton of hockey games on the market. I'd love to see all the people here that think it's not that difficult to make a hockey game actually make one. You guys keep asking for someone else to make one. Do it yourselves if it's so easy.

No offense, but that's just not accurate! The reason you don't see a ton of hockey games on the market comes down to MONEY! And let me clarify- MONEY TO BE MADE! There is no money in NHL games or you would see such developers like 2k sports throwing their hat into the mix. It became clear after NHL 14's HUT when they eliminated the companion app for HUT and then nerfed the auction menus of HUT (which meant the only way to build a competitive team was to buy HUT packs online). That's example number one. Another person in this thread listed a slew of issues that I also agree on. One major issue is the Defensive AI with the puck behind the net. They just skate into the back of the net which is beyond ridiculous and not even remotely acceptable, but yet it has remained in all the games since last Gen for god sakes! The list of untouched issues goes on and on as well as arguments over the direction of certain modes (ahem EASHL). I often find myself imagining what the EA sports NHL office must look like. I envision one developer (possibly another intern-POSSIBLY) in a room the size of a janitor closet with a single flickering light bulb over his run down desk and 10 year old computer. On the outside of the door is a crooked sign that has pealed paint and dirt crusted to it that says EA Sports NHL Office. OOh don't forget about that developers pet rat that he feeds at lunch everyday! Listen, all jokes aside (and my smart a$$ comments) NHL will never compete with the likes of Fifa, Madden, NBA or MLB! Jeeze I bet even Nascar brings in more income! So with that said its like any other business model applied by all corporations today. Invest the least amount of resources and maximize profit! I give you NHL fans, HUT!
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    CDBently80 wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    Everyone saying they aren't playing the beta anymore, that leaves less people to give feedback to EA, and what does that mean? It means less stuff gets changed. If you don't want the same game every year, then how about just play the freaking beta and report what changes you wanna see, WITHOUT insulting them and being douchebags

LOL

What other games need betas to figure out major game breaking issues? Most of the betas that are out there are the devs and close people to development team testing out bugs, glitches, connectivity issues.

It's not the job of the consumer to fix the game. To say what you are saying is that the game cannot be successful without user feedback from a beta. Bull crap. They're adults, programmers, hockey fans.... it's not that difficult

Almost every game released gets some form of closed/open public beta. They rely on the consumer because if it were up to developers to make their game, it would be vastly different. One you would probably hate more because they'd want it to be more sim and more hardcore. The fact is that most people can't handle that kind of game because it's more frustrating than fun for them. Not taking consumer feedback is a HUGE mistake.

If it wasn't that difficult, you'd see a ton of hockey games on the market. I'd love to see all the people here that think it's not that difficult to make a hockey game actually make one. You guys keep asking for someone else to make one. Do it yourselves if it's so easy.

No offense, but that's just not accurate! The reason you don't see a ton of hockey games on the market comes down to MONEY! And let me clarify- MONEY TO BE MADE! There is no money in NHL games or you would see such developers like 2k sports throwing their hat into the mix. It became clear after NHL 14's HUT when they eliminated the companion app for HUT and then nerfed the auction menus of HUT (which meant the only way to build a competitive team was to buy HUT packs online). That's example number one. Another person in this thread listed a slew of issues that I also agree on. One major issue is the Defensive AI with the puck behind the net. They just skate into the back of the net which is beyond ridiculous and not even remotely acceptable, but yet it has remained in all the games since last Gen for god sakes! The list of untouched issues goes on and on as well as arguments over the direction of certain modes (ahem EASHL). I often find myself imagining what the EA sports NHL office must look like. I envision one developer (possibly another intern-POSSIBLY) in a room the size of a janitor closet with a single flickering light bulb over his run down desk and 10 year old computer. On the outside of the door is a crooked sign that has pealed paint and dirt crusted to it that says EA Sports NHL Office. OOh don't forget about that developers pet rat that he feeds at lunch everyday! Listen, all jokes aside (and my smart a$$ comments) NHL will never compete with the likes of Fifa, Madden, NBA or MLB! Jeeze I bet even Nascar brings in more income! So with that said its like any other business model applied by all corporations today. Invest the least amount of resources and maximize profit! I give you NHL fans, HUT!

But there are other small dev teams out there making games. Take the F1 team at Codemasters. For a long time, their product struggled, until they realised that an Formula One game is basically a NICHE product that caters to a very narrow group of people. If you try to "dumb it down", not only do you alienate the core fans (who are mostly hard core Formula One fanatics) but you don't really generate any "new" sales. So after a few seasons of putting a shoddy product in store shelves (and online stores), they went 180 and started to listen to the hardcore crowd and actually worked on the foundations of the game; what makes a Formula One racing game a FORMULA ONE RACING GAME. Everything was overhauled, the physics, the controls, the presentation. Everything was made to feel more like a racing game where you are a formula one driver.

They didn't cater to the kids who wanted rocket boost racing or bumper cars. They build their game from the ground up a s a hard core simulation, with the OPTION to tone things down to your level if you like. Last year's game sold about the same numbers as NHL 17 did, and that's fine. Because they understand they are making a niche game, for a niche market.

The difference is that Codemasters is committed to cater to their hardcore audience first and foremost because they understand what makes an F1 game an F1 game.

They didn't put in a 4 cars on the track mode. They didn't dumb down the physics. They didn't boost the speed of the game to make it "feel" faster. Everything in their game is Authentic. There is no other F1 game on the market. So the little kids who find it boring, well they can go play Mario Kart or they can play Call of Duty of whatever arcade game they want to play.

The devs know they can't afford to lose their hard core fans and it shows in their product and in the support they get from their HAPPY fans.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »

LOL

But there are other small dev teams out there making games. Take the F1 team at Codemasters. For a long time, their product struggled, until they realised that an Formula One game is basically a NICHE product that caters to a very narrow group of people. If you try to "dumb it down", not only do you alienate the core fans (who are mostly hard core Formula One fanatics) but you don't really generate any "new" sales. So after a few seasons of putting a shoddy product in store shelves (and online stores), they went 180 and started to listen to the hardcore crowd and actually worked on the foundations of the game; what makes a Formula One racing game a FORMULA ONE RACING GAME. Everything was overhauled, the physics, the controls, the presentation. Everything was made to feel more like a racing game where you are a formula one driver.

They didn't cater to the kids who wanted rocket boost racing or bumper cars. They build their game from the ground up a s a hard core simulation, with the OPTION to tone things down to your level if you like. Last year's game sold about the same numbers as NHL 17 did, and that's fine. Because they understand they are making a niche game, for a niche market.

The difference is that Codemasters is committed to cater to their hardcore audience first and foremost because they understand what makes an F1 game an F1 game.

They didn't put in a 4 cars on the track mode. They didn't dumb down the physics. They didn't boost the speed of the game to make it "feel" faster. Everything in their game is Authentic. There is no other F1 game on the market. So the little kids who find it boring, well they can go play Mario Kart or they can play Call of Duty of whatever arcade game they want to play.

The devs know they can't afford to lose their hard core fans and it shows in their product and in the support they get from their HAPPY fans.

And listen I commend the F1 team for doing that! Because I think at the end of the day your either gonna be a hardcore NHL fan and play the game, or you aren't. Sure you can lure a couple of new fans every year. But not enough that's raise that profit margin considerably.
    With all this said I cant really with good conscious say that this is the case with the last several NHL titles. I've heard numerous of times on these forums the "copy and paste" comments and its hard to dispute those opinions, especially when the same core issues keep coming up year after year!
    I hope that EA sports takes some ideas from small companies like F1 in dealing with small market niche games. But again I get this horrible feeling that this is a cash grab for EA and will continue to be so until they shift they're priorities from maximizing profit to maximizing game play experience!
  • The NHL team doesnt make as much as you think to put back into the game. This is mostly because everyone knows the rules of football and soccer, but most people below Pennsylvania think Hockey is another form of communism
  • The NHL team doesnt make as much as you think to put back into the game. This is mostly because everyone knows the rules of football and soccer, but most people below Pennsylvania think Hockey is another form of communism

Hahaha
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member

LOL

Yes. It is accurate. Sports games, especially hockey, have drastically evolved. They have become more complex since 2K stopped making their game and far more complex than the 20 years ago when there were multiple games available. Look at Old Tyme Hockey. It's an arcade game with simple controls. They also haven't had wild success. The community wants a game that is simple to play yet has all the features of realistic hockey. You guys want turning turning on a dime and keeping your same speed. You don't want to have to worry about the limitations of the human body. You want perfect AI in extremely complex situations. There is an infinite list of what you all want, but you also want that accomplished within the realm of a realistic game. That's not really possible without making the players do things the human body doesn't do. When you stop adhering to there, you get an arcade game. There's nothing wrong with that. It just contradicts what many of you are asking for.

Your "vision" of their office is million percent wrong. Yeah, there's some sarcasm there, but again, if this game was easy to make, you'd see at least one more, successful hockey game on the market. There is an audience for it. Money is made from this game or it would cease to exist. There are other companies out there with the budget to make a hockey game. They choose not to. EA doesn't invest FIFA or Madden money in to it, but NHL also makes a lot less than they do. That's the nature of hockey too. It's limited to cold weather areas. Unlike soccer where you can pretty much pick up a ball and play almost anywhere. Hockey is a niche sport and the video game is as well.

On a grand scale, Madden doesn't even compete with FIFA. The amount of FIFA players is astounding. Very few games out there make the money FIFA does. Look at the forums for NBA 2K. You'll see the same complaints as you do for NHL, FIFA, Madden, etc. They complain about servers and gameplay. Yet you guys think they are the saving grace for hockey games. The FIFA crowd has the same complaints as NHL. Servers, exploits, gameplay, controls, etc. Every game has its hardcore crowd that assumes bad coding is at fault when the majority of you have absolutely no clue what code even looks like. Every year, going back to the last generation, these forums are full of negativity from people who say they know what the issues are and how to fix them. They never do though. They come back every year, buy the game and complain about i as if they made it.

• Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    The skating engine, TPS etc. is NOT REALISTIC. if they really are aiming for simulation, they're failing so hard. Nobody who asked for realism or simulation, asked for THIS. If the EA style skating was an animal, it would be a hippo on land (or a turtle if you factor in online lag). Whereas real life skating is more like a ferret, fast and agile. Unless you're the slowest and clumsiest skater in the whole NHL, of course. Simulation of skating does not need to equal clunky. This forced automation is killing the game.

I am not saying all the skaters need to be like Patric Kane or Pavel Bure, but some of them really are, and some are not, so introduce differentiation, make stats count for something. You don't need the Enforcer to be the fastest guy on ice, but in EASHL he often is...
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    The skating engine, TPS etc. is NOT REALISTIC. if they really are aiming for simulation, they're failing so hard. Nobody who asked for realism or simulation, asked for THIS. If the EA style skating was an animal, it would be a hippo on land (or a turtle if you factor in online lag). Whereas real life skating is more like a ferret, fast and agile. Unless you're the slowest and clumsiest skater in the whole NHL, of course. Simulation of skating does not need to equal clunky. This forced automation is killing the game.

I am not saying all the skaters need to be like Patric Kane or Pavel Bure, but some of them really are, and some are not, so introduce differentiation, make stats count for something. You don't need the Enforcer to be the fastest guy on ice, but in EASHL he often is...

Exactly! Rob Scuderi was slow when he helped the Pens win the Cup in '09, there is no reason that Scuderi should be able to keep up with Kane, Bure, McDavid, etc 8yrs later (yes I know Scuderi was in the minors)

I've suggested it before: Pascal Dupuis has short choppy strides (looks like he's running on the ice) until he gets up to top speed whereas Jordan Staal has looooong lanky strides (looks like he's slow) until he gets to top speed....something anything to differentiate the players from one another
  • SaveUs2K wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    B-Bunny wrote: »
    Id be surprised if they made a story mode for nhl.

^ This.

With the cost of producing something like a "story mode" I don't see the small NHL team given a budget that would even pay for the production of a 10 second commercial on a Public Access Channel.

Exactly.

My question to you guys then, what would they use Frostbite to accomplish/change about the game? FIFA didnt change much at all, except for the addition of the story mode and updated graphics for up close shots of players after stoppages of play, and it looks like Madden is following suit. If that truly is a pattern and not just coincidence, then we should logically expect the same for NHL. If not NHL 19, then surely NHL 20?
  • You guys also have to realize that they cannot make this game super realistic. I can't remember where I saw this, but in an interview with Rammer, he said that they tried to make sticks 100% solid, but the game slowed down and was way too clunky, thats why pucks sometimes pass through sticks
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    I can't remember where I saw this, but in an interview with Rammer...

I'll do you one better: just forget you ever saw that interview. Anything Rammer says about this game is 100% suspect.

When he says slow and clunky, he means he can't just dangle, snipe, celly through 5 players without losing the puck anymore and he had to rely on *GASP* passing the puck to a teammate... Oh the HORROR!!! Can you imagine? That would make the game like... Real... Hockey!!!
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    I can't remember where I saw this, but in an interview with Rammer...

I'll do you one better: just forget you ever saw that interview. Anything Rammer says about this game is 100% suspect.

When he says slow and clunky, he means he can't just dangle, snipe, celly through 5 players without losing the puck anymore and he had to rely on *GASP* passing the puck to a teammate... Oh the HORROR!!! Can you imagine? That would make the game like... Real... Hockey!!!

Rammer doesn't even know how to win a faceoff in his game for crying out loud. *Insert clip of him pressing a bunch of buttons during faceoff*
  • joefitz22
    643 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    You guys also have to realize that they cannot make this game super realistic. I can't remember where I saw this, but in an interview with Rammer, he said that they tried to make sticks 100% solid, but the game slowed down and was way too clunky, thats why pucks sometimes pass through sticks

Ok you know what, I'll bite and buy that argument. HOWEVER the problem with that statement is that WE (the Human players) have no **** idea when our sticks WILL or WON'T BE a solid object.

Again, I use my Game Clock example, at 13:24 my Stick poke check connects with the puck and I successfully poke the puck away. At 13:14 (a mere 10sec later) my Stick poke check is deemed invisible and it passes through the puck....to add insult to injury, once my Stick has physically passed through the puck, my Stick then becomes a SOLID OBJECT once again and hits my opponents skates causing a Tripping Penalty. Like who **** designed this to work that way. Why does it pass through the puck but yet magically hits the skates??

That's what **** me off the most about EAs excuse of Full Collision isn't fun or it drags the game down or this or that.

I think this is a HUGE reason why People accuse the game of having Ice Tilt or Momentum or 1 team having Superman AI whereas your AI is a bunch of 5yr olds playing the game for the 1st time.

I have Won games (games I had no business winning) because the Game decided that the puck was going to physically pass through my best friends AI goalie leg pad for the GWG. I want to win games based on my Human skill vs another Human skill, NOT because the Game deemed the goalies leg pad to be invisible (despite making that routine save 25 other times during the course of the game). Why? Why was the Goalies limbs a Solid Object for 25 shots but on the 26th shot, the Goalies limbs all of a sudden becomes invisible????

I have lost games (games I had no business losing) because the Game decided to have my AI Dman (while on the PP in opponents zone) stick become invisible just as the pass is coming near him, thus the pass sails past him and opponents speedy winger gets to the puck and has a clean breakaway and scores the GWG in OT
  • Everyone saying they aren't playing the beta anymore, that leaves less people to give feedback to EA, and what does that mean? It means less stuff gets changed. If you don't want the same game every year, then how about just play the freaking beta and report what changes you wanna see, WITHOUT insulting them and being douchebags
    Let EA fix the lag issues first and the we'll talk. Until then there's no point in taking the beta seriously.

• BodyBags0000
    288 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

LOL

This is a great point. Talking about Codies, they also managed to revive the DiRT franchise by going sim and pleasing the hardcore group. The best marketing a video game can get is a positive buzz from the community and that always starts with the hardcore group being happy about the game. It keeps the game on the top seller/most played charts, and gets the game exposure online.

The thing that's different in racing games and sports games is that with racing games, I always have another game where I can get my simracing fix if the licensed F1 game doesn't provide it so they actually have to worry about completely loosing the hardcore group. EA doesn't really have this problem since there isn't any competition where the hardcore group could jump ship and they know this. The hardcore fans of NHL games are the type of people who just want to play something hockey related and will continue to do so even if the product is terrible.