EA Forums - Banner

NHL as a Service - New Business Model - It's Time for Change

Prev13
Workin_OT
469 posts Member
edited August 2017
The historical yearly release model is the bane of this games existence. In simpler times it used to work but it is becoming a huge hindrance for the advancement of the game.

We get a base game in the first year which is really a working alpha/beta, and they build upon that game every year.

We have HUT now as more of a service model. It gets some new content throughout the year and people are constantly spending money on it. It most likely generates more money than the NHL series has ever seen, year to year, on its own.

EASHL has great potential for the same. I had a big thread on this on the previous forums, but essentially if they create a CSGO type market where people can buy/sell/trade cosmetic things like goalie helmet designs, player helmets, gloves, sticks, skates, goal celebrations, goal songs, goal fireworks/lights, etc. Create and release new ones through crates or hockey bags (just like rocket league does) and you have a self sustaining gold mine.

Do it right and these two systems will generate money like NHL has never seen. There's plenty of games out right now that demonstrate that this model not only works but thrives. If they need to be really greedy, charge a yearly subscription.

This would allow for them to do away with the yearly releases. It would allow them to remove the time constraints that come with the yearly release model. It would allow them to simply work on the game year round and not have to plan in advance what features might make the next game and what might have to be shelved for a later date. It would allow continuous work on features and they could be released whenever they are ready, without a set schedule. It would allow them to polish these features better without having to conform to a time crunch.

The whole game would benefit from this type of business model shift. It's a big step to take, moving away from a model they have successfully ran for 25+ years, but it is to the games benefit and the consumers benefit to do so.

As consumers we should be pushing for this. The yearly release model shouldn't be accepted anymore. There's almost no way of staging a "revolution" and forcing this to happen but that is what should be done, eh buds'? ;)
Post edited by Workin_OT on

Replies

• Do you keep the game in its current state if you don't want more updates? Say i pay for 3 years worth of updates, can I still play offline?

Only online would kill the series completely, which I hope you are not suggesting. It all sounds great on paper, win/win for everyone...but what would the dev team think of this? I don't believe for a second they would see their salaries increase all that much. Gotta make sure the shareholders can afford that 150 ft yaht they have always wanted. I pity those that can only afford 140 ft yahts.

It sounds completely stupid what I say, but I wouldnt want this series to become a software as a service thing if it means the dev team has to work around the clock like slaves. I don't trust the suits, plain and simple.

I as a customer do not want to pay for potentially good content in advance. Nobody should ever be alright with that. The suits would never have to worry about marketing, so long as people are willing to fork over money arbitrarilly just because the game exists. Doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

The way you present the idea makes it sound all too good to be true for this series. Maybe in another 15 years they can get to a point where they can take a risk like this.
  • I think it's something that should be considered. Especially when the games on yearly release cycles don't get much improvement year over year. And let's be honest with this model you would have to assume that you'll get more return customers especially at a lower price point (say $30 or $40 USD annually) as opposed to $60. I think NHL would be a great candidate for a service product given the smaller development team.

I would not mind seeing yearly sports titles either go down in price, or get a service treatment just because it's very similar one year after the next. Using a service would give the fans a feeling of value.

Now a days you have do pre-order the deluxe edition of NHL and Madden to get it "early" on what should be the original release dates.
  • Workin_OT
    469 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    This model is nothing new. Game's like CSGO, Rocket League, LoL, Dota, + many more already run like this.

You buy the game once and it lasts for years, with updates/new content rolled out as they are ready. These games have live markets within them (like HUT) that continually produce new content that people continually spend money on. These markets (like HUT) are gold mines and often require minimal dev time (like new HUT packs/cards).

If they went to a yearly subscription, allow that player full access to online for a year starting on the day they pay. If they let that run out without renewing, allow them to continue to play offline as long as they want, they just don't receive any of the new content/updates when they roll out.
  • EA sports marketing department covers all games compared to game development. Madden and FIFA are the main games for the series and they aint gonna change these games marketing campaign so they arent gonna change the NHL campaign.

NHL makes up 4.77% of the the Madden, Fifa, and NHL. Then you include UFC, UFC mobile, FIFA mobile NCAA, PGA, NBA and NHL drops even further.

You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • Workin_OT wrote: »
    The historical yearly release model is the bane of this games existence. In simpler times it used to work but it is becoming a huge hindrance for the advancement of the game.

We get a base game in the first year which is really a working alpha/beta, and they build upon that game every year.

We have HUT now as more of a service model. It gets some new content throughout the year and people are constantly spending money on it. It most likely generates more money than the NHL series has ever seen, year to year, on its own.

EASHL has great potential for the same. I had a big thread on this on the previous forums, but essentially if they create a CSGO type market where people can buy/sell/trade cosmetic things like goalie helmet designs, player helmets, gloves, sticks, skates, goal celebrations, goal songs, goal fireworks/lights, etc. Create and release new ones through crates or hockey bags (just like rocket league does) and you have a self sustaining gold mine.

Do it right and these two systems will generate money like NHL has never seen. There's plenty of games out right now that demonstrate that this model not only works but thrives. If they need to be really greedy, charge a yearly subscription.

This would allow for them to do away with the yearly releases. It would allow them to remove the time constraints that come with the yearly release model. It would allow them to simply work on the game year round and not have to plan in advance what features might make the next game and what might have to be shelved for a later date. It would allow continuous work on features and they could be released whenever they are ready, without a set schedule. It would allow them to polish these features better without having to conform to a time crunch.

The whole game would benefit from this type of business model shift. It's a big step to take, moving away from a model they have successfully ran for 25+ years, but it is to the games benefit and the consumers benefit to do so.

As consumers we should be pushing for this. The yearly release model shouldn't be accepted anymore. There's almost no way of staging a "revolution" and forcing this to happen but that is what should be done, eh buds'? ;)

Holy sheet, I'm agreeing with you for once...LOL! I really like these ideas. Give the Dev team more time to Zero in the tweaks that they make to the game. Bravo Zulu sir!!
  • kezz123
    653 posts Member
    Workin_OT wrote: »

I've been asking for this for years.

its shameful to still run yearly release in this day an age with a product which has SOOOO many options for mtx AND is a perfect candidate for regular updates and online support.

The shame however is on the cows....not the farmers. people continue to pay ridiculous amounts of money each year for what is a glorified patch. NHL 18 is not a new game, its a darn patch...I dont even think it fits the definition of expansion. But people continue to pay premium price for this each year and EA is almost forced into continuing this.

They would make a killing with f2p with mtx model but honestly, they may not make that much more if not less by switching now when people are still buying the product each year. In any other markets, where customers are somewhat smart, this yearly release model would have died a long time ago but this market is unfortunately full of boneheads. Im realizing you get the worse of 2 worlds in this community. The childs with no concept of the value of money and the dumb jocks who videogame. Thats probably 80% of the community right there and the reason why there is no change to the business model.
  • Yes, count me in. The NHL series is a perfect place to try something new for EA, as it's such a marginal game (and sport). I'm perfectly happy to pay Wargaming around 50€ per year for a Premium account even if the game is F2P. I could even see WoT style tiers (and match making) working in EASHL :)
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    I doubt EA would be the right company for this sort of thing, they seem so rigid and set in their ways... all they seem to do is churn more sequels to established game franchises. When was the last time they did something innovative in game industry?

But games like ice hockey have so much potential to become something great, it just takes the right vision and enough money to do. The fans can see what potential the NHL might have, it's curious EA doesn't. They don't seem ambitious enough? Since they have MUT, HUT and FUT, they aren't looking for more, I guess. Most income with least amount of effort?
  • Pay to play model will never work because you need a huge fan-base, which this series doesn't have, in comparison to FIFA or Madden. The shock-effect (ie those who are not in favor of the pay-to-play model) would certainly diminish ones looking to return. That said, it's well-known that EA sports Canada loves to remind their fans that their development team is significantly (smaller) than it's other sports development teams and that these guys "work in the trenches for us" to produce a quality product. They would never be able to justify a marginally similar product month after month in which people would pay continuously to retain. The combined revenue of HUT and yearly releases of basically the same product is tremendously profitable. Why would they change?

It's been proposed several times in these forums. You would never of known this though, because these forums are atrocious and they've deleted everything up to two or three years ago.
  • MDubz83
    152 posts Member
    They have to get rid of Rammer. At least Litty knew the game.
  • MDubz83 wrote: »

'Litty's' last year in charge gave us first person fights and clown gear. Two features that aren't very revered around here, eh bud? ;)
  • Excuse: Small devopment team
    Price: $60, the same as major AAA titles.

When we have to pay the same price as major AAA titles, we don't want to hear excuses.

You charge me AAA prices, you better deliver a AAA product, and not a laundry list of excuses.

It's not our job to worry about your limitations when you charge the same as AAA games.
  • BoboFloggins
    2170 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    CrushNHL wrote: »
    Excuse: Small devopment team

When we have to pay the same price as major AAA titles, we don't want to hear excuses.

You charge me AAA prices, you better deliver a AAA product, and not a laundry list of excuses.

It's not our job to worry about your limitations when you charge the same as AAA games.

well, again.... the way this works is, ya don't buy the product.

otherwise, nothing changes in this current system we have (da free market).
  • CrushNHL wrote: »

Not a chance I'm buying NHL 18. Zero. None.

I'm not going to tell others what to do with their own money, but I'm not giving EA NHL one more dime until they change the direction of this series.
  • Workin_OT
    469 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    SaveUs2K wrote: »
    Workin_OT wrote: »
    MDubz83 wrote: »

'Litty's' last year in charge gave us first person fights and clown gear. Two features that aren't very revered around here, eh bud? ;)

Yes, but NHL 11 is often praised for the gameplay. I think it was the best one ever. Rammer gave us "force to win" 12 with no defense whatsoever. Not to mention the failure that is TPS...I think Litty wins.

Clown gear and FPF were NHL 10..

11 WAS awesome. The first year without canned hitting.
  • CrushNHL wrote: »
    CrushNHL wrote: »

Not a chance I'm buying NHL 18. Zero. None.

I'm not going to tell others what to do with their own money, but I'm not giving EA NHL one more dime until they change the direction of this series.

The game isn't that bad, there's some goodness in there. It's just the gameplay, which is the most important thing, isn't good because it feels like a clunky mess. If they fix the clunky/delayed feel of playing it we'll have a good game again, most everything else wrong with it are just minor annoyances.

If they switch business models it will allow them to work on the game year round without having to shelve or rush features to accommodate a yearly release, which in turn allows them to polish up the loose ends that have annoyed people for a long time.
  • Workin_OT wrote: »
    MDubz83 wrote: »

Don't forget Spiderman goalies and tennis puck physics. All his direct contribution.