EA Forums - Banner

So 2K took a shot at all the other sports games

Prev134
NuttySportsFan
429 posts Member
edited August 2017
In a dev blog post regarding MyGM and MyLeague covering all the new features for NBA2k (read below)

http://www.operationsports.com/nba-2k18-mygm-myleague-details-screenshots/

They had the following to say:

"I shouldn’t be at this point, but I am continually surprised at how little support other sports games give their franchise modes. I vowed long ago to never let the NBA 2K franchise regress to that mean.

Having had time to reflect back on what Dave, Tim, Barry, Leftos, Yu, and Daniel (take a bow, gentlemen) have accomplished for you all in these modes this year, I feel continually reaffirmed that our direction of Innovation, Authenticity, and Engagement is not only the right path to take, but that it is the ONLY path to take.

Here at Visual Concepts, we believe strongly in the franchise experience. Our management here provides us full support and believes strongly in our ability to provide innovative experiences that, as I said above, are built to delight and entertain. And in turn, you, our fans, have shown TREMENDOUS support of the work we have been able to provide over the last many years.

As I said in this space last year, it’s important to me that you feel we respect your purchase of our product. Your passion and enthusiasm is what drives us. Don’t ever stop giving us ideas, or telling us what you want to see added to the game."

All i gotta say is wow. Apparently the head guy working on Madden took this personally for some reason.

I wonder if EA's NHL team wants in on this feud too.

Replies

• B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    Good for them. 2k is setting the bar right now.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • Truth be told, i hope EA accepts this challange, while 2K actually tries to get back into the hockey video game market for real. Perhaps they could try their hand at soccer/football/futbol while they are at it. And then ideally bring out the big guns when the NFL exclusive license expires. The consumers would win at the end of the day.
  • I always preferred NFL 2k over Madden but always preferred EA NHL over 2k.

I've never tried NBA Live but am very impressed with NBA 2k.

The Show killed MLB 2k and rightfully so. That franchise is top notch.

I'd live to see 2k come back to hockey to create competitiom but I don't see it being in the cards any time soon. Hockey likely isn't a top 5 sport in the world and NHL/Bettman aren't doing themselves any favors not allowing NHLPA participate in the Olympics to showcase the best the sport has to offer.

I'd live to see 2k come back to hockey to create competitiom but I don't see it being in the cards any time soon. Hockey likely isn't a top 5 sport in the world and NHL/Bettman aren't doing themselves any favors not allowing NHLPA participate in the Olympics to showcase the best the sport has to offer.

Would a Tax Firm completely shut down it's BUSINESS for 3 weeks in the middle of Tax Season?? So why should the NHL be FORCED to shut down for 3 weeks just to participate in the crooked Olympic Games?
  • I used to play NFL 2K back in the day....it was always better than Madden.
  • I always liked 2K's presentation much better in their old NHL games and for several years I only played 2K NHL games. However, once EA came out with the skill stick (2K had some items on the right stick, though it was not implemented well), it was very hard to go back to the button playing in the 2K NHL games. If 2K did come out with another NHL game, they would definitely need to ensure they use the same skill stick mechanics as EA does.

I will never understand why EA stopped making MVP Baseball. That was legitimately the most "sim" baseball game series ever made. There's a very good reason the PC community still creates mods for MVP B 2005 with updated jerseys, rosters and stadiums.

On top of that, I would like to point out that EA made the best NASCAR games ever. No debating it.

joefitz22 wrote: »
    I always preferred NFL 2k over Madden but always preferred EA NHL over 2k.

Would a Tax Firm completely shut down it's BUSINESS for 3 weeks in the middle of Tax Season?? So why should the NHL be FORCED to shut down for 3 weeks just to participate in the crooked Olympic Games?

I can't wait to see the US and Canada playing amateurs vs the rest of the world loading rosters up with pros.
  • joefitz22 wrote: »

They wouldn't be forced to do anything. All you do is extend the regular season or add a couple more back to back games. Revenue won't be lost.

By sending the NHLPA you are increase the popularity of the sport and growing future revenue.

But by not sending the NHLPA you can almost guarantee the PA is pissed and will carry that anger into the next bargaining agreement. There WILL be another strike, guaranteed ... so ultimately you are damaging the game more than you are helping it.

They wouldn't be forced to do anything. All you do is extend the regular season or add a couple more back to back games. Revenue won't be lost.

By sending the NHLPA you are increase the popularity of the sport and growing future revenue.

But by not sending the NHLPA you can almost guarantee the PA is pissed and will carry that anger into the next bargaining agreement. There WILL be another strike, guaranteed ... so ultimately you are damaging the game more than you are helping it.

Bettman loves strikes though don't you know? He still gets paid his yearly salary to do literally nothing. It's only the players that suffer by losing out on a year of their contracts.
  • I really wish 2k would make a hockey game...they did so many things right

Sorry mate, the 4yrs I spent in the US Navy (91-95, stationed in Norfolk Va) did nothing to show me that Hockey is EVER going to be a staple in these Areas. Christ the Hampton Roads (now Norfolk) Admirals were a few miles from the base...only the Hockey die hards cared enough to even talk about them. So having the "Pros" play in the Olympics isn't going to change their views on Hockey

My company has an office in Tallahasse Florida (when we do conference calls with them, we try to bring up Hockey into the conversations...Pens won the Cup or we're bigger Hockey fans than we are stiller/football fans here....CRICKETS is what we hear). So the "Pros" being in the Olympics isn't going to change the fact they don't care about Hockey

Billy Bob Joe in the backwoods of Alabama has never seen an indoor ice rink let alone a game of Ice Hockey, so the "Pros" being in the Olympics won't change his mind about the game of Hockey

My best friend is in the US Air Force (stationed in Nebraska), his first trip to the grocery store he had his Penguins T-Shirt and Hat on....the male cashier asked him if he was going to be watching the "Skers later on...bewildered he asked the guy what a 'Sker was? He said the guy looked at him and said "You're not from around here are you"? He said No I'm from Pgh and I am a bigger Hockey fan than a football fan....the guy looked at him like his head was on backwards....what makes you think the "Pros" being in the Olympics is going to change the viewing habits of "Skers fans??

My best friends sister lives in Jackson TN, I asked her about the level of interest around her area....NONE! Other than her family (hubby and kids) and a neighbor who is originally from Glen Burnie MD (Caps fan)...they just don't care about Hockey
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    I will never understand why EA stopped making MVP Baseball.

Oh you're gonna love this!

See back in the day, 2K Sports and EA Sports were fierce competitors, with NFL 2K slowly gaining popularity every year until it culminated in NFL 2K5 which saw EA lose a lot of sales to its rival.

So did EA respond by coming out with a BETTER game the following year?

Of course not! They made a deal with the NFL for exclusive 1st, 2nd and 3rd party rights. Ending their rivalry and giving them a "resounding" win and ending the NFL 2K franchise then and there.

Fast forward a bit and 2K found a way to get back at EA by negotiating EXCLUSIVE 3rd party rights to the MLB and its player association. What did that mean? Well, if you were a 1st party developer, like Sony or Microsoft or Nintendo, you could use the MLB license to make a baseball game. And if you were a 3rd party developer, like EA, you were SOL.

So it's true what the Klingon's say: Revenge IS a dish best served Cold! And what 2K did to EA with the MLB license was HELLA cold!! (but oh so satisfying!!).
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    I will never understand why EA stopped making MVP Baseball.

Oh you're gonna love this!

See back in the day, 2K Sports and EA Sports were fierce competitors, with NFL 2K slowly gaining popularity every year until it culminated in NFL 2K5 which saw EA lose a lot of sales to its rival.

So did EA respond by coming out with a BETTER game the following year?

Of course not! They made a deal with the NFL for exclusive 1st, 2nd and 3rd party rights. Ending their rivalry and giving them a "resounding" win and ending the NFL 2K franchise then and there.

Fast forward a bit and 2K found a way to get back at EA by negotiating EXCLUSIVE 3rd party rights to the MLB and its player association. What did that mean? Well, if you were a 1st party developer, like Sony or Microsoft or Nintendo, you could use the MLB license to make a baseball game. And if you were a 3rd party developer, like EA, you were SOL.

So it's true what the Klingon's say: Revenge IS a dish best served Cold! And what 2K did to EA with the MLB license was HELLA cold!! (but oh so satisfying!!).

Ouch!

But the 2k baseball games were actually really bad compared to MVP baseball...oh right, Madden was bad compared to 2k NFL...haha!

But now that 2k is out of the picture and a lot of people seem to be complaining about The Show on their forums, claiming the last 3 years that game has gone downhill, why isnt EA making the effort to produce the best baseball game on the North American market? Especially considering that Konami doesnt want to bring Power Pros to the West for the foreseeable future, the market should be wide open for the taking.
  • MVP was one of the greatest games i’ve played. Sad that EA bought the NFL license and 2k the MLB. I preferred madden over 2k but man has it sucked since 06. Im stuck with the show and while its certainly better than most sports games (including NHL) it has nothing on MVP. The best sports games i have played are MVP 05, Madden 05 and NHL 09. They dont make’em like those anymore.
  • kezz123
    600 posts Member

I preffered EA nhl to 2k NHL too but these days id take the old NHL 2k before this EA nhl game.
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited August 2017

Sorry mate, the 4yrs I spent in the US Navy (91-95, stationed in Norfolk Va) did nothing to show me that Hockey is EVER going to be a staple in these Areas. Christ the Hampton Roads (now Norfolk) Admirals were a few miles from the base...only the Hockey die hards cared enough to even talk about them. So having the "Pros" play in the Olympics isn't going to change their views on Hockey

My company has an office in Tallahasse Florida (when we do conference calls with them, we try to bring up Hockey into the conversations...Pens won the Cup or we're bigger Hockey fans than we are stiller/football fans here....CRICKETS is what we hear). So the "Pros" being in the Olympics isn't going to change the fact they don't care about Hockey

Billy Bob Joe in the backwoods of Alabama has never seen an indoor ice rink let alone a game of Ice Hockey, so the "Pros" being in the Olympics won't change his mind about the game of Hockey

My best friend is in the US Air Force (stationed in Nebraska), his first trip to the grocery store he had his Penguins T-Shirt and Hat on....the male cashier asked him if he was going to be watching the "Skers later on...bewildered he asked the guy what a 'Sker was? He said the guy looked at him and said "You're not from around here are you"? He said No I'm from Pgh and I am a bigger Hockey fan than a football fan....the guy looked at him like his head was on backwards....what makes you think the "Pros" being in the Olympics is going to change the viewing habits of "Skers fans??

My best friends sister lives in Jackson TN, I asked her about the level of interest around her area....NONE! Other than her family (hubby and kids) and a neighbor who is originally from Glen Burnie MD (Caps fan)...they just don't care about Hockey

Those are all very cool stories. Virginia, Florida, Nebraska, Tenessee ... Your acquaintances might not be hockey fans but even if the NHL could recruit a couple thousand, if not tens of thousands of fans worldwide to the sport, mission accomplished.

Billy Bob Joe in Alabama can stick to high school football... I prefer he never learn about the great game of hockey.

Fact is I'm a Canadian and a die hard hockey fan but even I won't give two rats asees about the Olympics this year watcheing the world's hockey B squad. If you're losing the interest of the diehards you're doing something wrong.

@NuttySportsFan

"Bettman loves strikes though don't you know? He still gets paid his yearly salary to do literally nothing. It's only the players that suffer by losing out on a year of their contracts."

The owners lose out on a boatload of cash as well. It isn't only the players who suffer from a lockout. Just happens the owners are stinking rich and aren't as desparate as the players to get paid.
    Post edited by Taste-D-Rainbow on
  • MVP was one of the greatest games i’ve played. Sad that EA bought the NFL license and 2k the MLB. I preferred madden over 2k but man has it **** since 06. Im stuck with the show and while its certainly better than most sports games (including NHL) it has nothing on MVP. The best sports games i have played are MVP 05, Madden 05 and NHL 09. They dont make’em like those anymore.

MVP 05 truly waa revolutionary. Build a park was epic along with the upgrades in GM with tv deals and what not.

One of my favorite sports games of all time.
  • MVP was one of the greatest games i’ve played. Sad that EA bought the NFL license and 2k the MLB. I preferred madden over 2k but man has it **** since 06. Im stuck with the show and while its certainly better than most sports games (including NHL) it has nothing on MVP. The best sports games i have played are MVP 05, Madden 05 and NHL 09. They dont make’em like those anymore.

MVP 05 truly waa revolutionary. Build a park was epic along with the upgrades in GM with tv deals and what not.

One of my favorite sports games of all time.

Ya that game was amazing!
  • OOTB the NHL 2k series was a mediocre game. BUT, and this is a major BUT, you could adjust it with sliders that actually worked. People spent more time adjusting the game than they did playing it. Eventually they found sliders that made it very realistic. I have yet to enjoy EA's NHL online the way I did when we had 2k sim leagues on Waz's forum. I long for their return to the sport, but I doubt it will ever happen. I tweeted Ben Bishop over at 2k and he wished me well but avoided the question.