EA Forums - Banner

NHL 18 lobbies?

Prev13
Please say that there are lobbies again in NHL 18 to help with the atrocious matchmaking?

Replies

• Nope.
  • B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    When I asked about this a while back I was told lobbies were old technology. No other games really use them anymore.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • That's crazy. It gives the NHL a community (albeit a toxic one sometimes). People can find games easier, advertise their clubs/themselves in a public chat. Old technology that worked and enabled us to find games much faster sounds like good technology to me!
  • Another question. I haven't downloaded the BETA yet but see tons of people playing it. Does it save your progress for when the real game comes out?
  • B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    Another question. I haven't downloaded the BETA yet but see tons of people playing it. Does it save your progress for when the real game comes out?

Nope.
  • B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    edited August 2017
    SaveUs2K wrote: »
    B-Bunny wrote: »
    When I asked about this a while back I was told lobbies were old technology. No other games really use them anymore.

Wow, what an absolutely atrocious response by this team. It works FOR THIS GAME AND THIS SERIES. Why do they neglect THEIR OWN BASE because other games don't do it!?

12 person draft lobbies were one of the MAIN reasons people played this game till all hours of the night.

This team constantly proves over and over again that their not fit for this series, they barely know hockey, and they blatantly either don't care about or don't know their own communities wishes.

What an absolute joke.

I mean, not many people used them anyways. You'd see OTP 1 full (50) and maybe a few stragglers in OTP 2. They served other purposes, but the fact still remains they weren't used much when looking at the entire playerbase of EASHL.
  • sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    I would love to see the 50 max population lobbies added back in, made it easy to find games, find clubs, recruit players, etc.
  • B-Bunny wrote: »
    SaveUs2K wrote: »

Wow, what an absolutely atrocious response by this team. It works FOR THIS GAME AND THIS SERIES. Why do they neglect THEIR OWN BASE because other games don't do it!?

12 person draft lobbies were one of the MAIN reasons people played this game till all hours of the night.

This team constantly proves over and over again that their not fit for this series, they barely know hockey, and they blatantly either don't care about or don't know their own communities wishes.

What an absolute joke.

I mean, not many people used them anyways. You'd see OTP 1 full (50) and maybe a few stragglers in OTP 2. They served other purposes, but the fact still remains they weren't used much when looking at the entire playerbase of EASHL.

I beg to differ. They were absolutely used a ton. We are talking one OTP lobby with 50 and sometimes a second in the 20-30 range (probably not at this point in the year). Now, that is not 50 people sitting there spamming messages. There was a solid rotation of games launching and finishing, and the room refilling, rinse and repeat. It worked. Also the draft games as mentioned above prove that it is necessary to have lobbies make a return to the game. Or some version of it.

For better or worse the lobbies created somewhat of a community. I would say it was for the better. People would recognize each other, meet up, eventually form clubs etc.

The game needs that again, a hub if you will. It will allow people to not only find games much easier, but to feel much more connected to the NHL community.

I would also like to see EASHL advertised much more in the game, as in Drop-ins mostly. Far too many people play the regular ranked OTP (where you play as NHL players) not even knowing about being able to create their own online pro to play outside of club. I had to stumble upon it myself back in 09. Just go into one of those regular OTP lobbies and ask why they are playing that instead of drop in and most people will say they didn't want to play club and didn't know there was a way to play with your online pro in quick drop in format. Lobbies would help this as well.

• Does anyone have a Beta code?
  • B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    I think the only real downfall of getting rid of lobbies is the recruitment that went on. You could find diamond in the rough players by reading chat, seeing who was looking to tryout for top clubs etc.

Now the only thing you can go off of is hoping you find someone like that in one of the dropin games - and even then most people dont mic up.
  • RSall14
    574 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    I think the only real downfall of getting rid of lobbies is the recruitment that went on. You could find diamond in the rough players by reading chat, seeing who was looking to tryout for top clubs etc.

Now the only thing you can go off of is hoping you find someone like that in one of the dropin games - and even then most people dont mic up.

They should put the chat back in for the exact reason above. Place it on the right hand side after you click on the drop-in tile. This way you can find people in the chat and then just go over to the left for group matchmaking. Right now all that space is just wasted for like 5 stats. Just make that smaller and add a chat box. It's not as good as the lobbies we had back then but at least it's something.
  • B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    edited August 2017
    I pitched a more intuitive system that would lead you into a menu, basically a recruitment tab. Players looking for one would have their stats listed, what their time of playing is, what 🎃🎃🎃🎃 they can play, what kind of club theyre looking for (6s, 3s' 5s), and perhaps a small blurb they could type with x character limit. Like a big F/A list. Then you could click their gamertag and send them a message. Stuff like that would help clubs looking to add more bodies find people.

But priorities trump that stuff i suppose.
  • The best two features of lobbies were a) it weeded out 90% player base the just when to fast otp "drop in". Then we could start games with a slightly better quality of player. b) it gave you a small community place to meet people and such.

And on busy nights you would see as many as 200-300 in lobbies. But the design was stupid and needed to be overhauled not deleted. Learn how to create one large lobby unlimited size with various social aspects and ability to launch private games that can be opened to public at some point... Just like before.
  • Skuhn718
    5 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    OTP lobbies + being able to invite friends directly to the game, was *integral* to the fun I had with the NHL series. It was how I met new people to play with, and how we continued to play 'for fun'. EASHL just gets too serious... and we just loved joining up as a group in OTP and havin a good ol time. It was also great because people from different clubs could easily play together... cuz you know, sometimes you want to play with someone not in your club.

Does NHL 18 at least have some kind of option to invite your friends to OTP games, or queue up for OTP games together?? As opposed to the 🎃🎃🎃🎃 way of doing it of "let's try to join at the same time and see if we end up in the same room, and then keep on trying till we can play together."
  • Bring back the private 12 player lobby. ;)
  • Yeah. This game needs lobbies or some form it again. Just another example of the franchise taking steps backward. Smh
  • Socair
    2440 posts Game Changer
    Skuhn718 wrote: »
    OTP lobbies + being able to invite friends directly to the game, was *integral* to the fun I had with the NHL series. It was how I met new people to play with, and how we continued to play 'for fun'. EASHL just gets too serious... and we just loved joining up as a group in OTP and havin a good ol time. It was also great because people from different clubs could easily play together... cuz you know, sometimes you want to play with someone not in your club.

Does NHL 18 at least have some kind of option to invite your friends to OTP games, or queue up for OTP games together?? As opposed to the **** way of doing it of "let's try to join at the same time and see if we end up in the same room, and then keep on trying till we can play together."
    Yeah it's called group matchmaking, but same as 17...can only form one team. But you can match up with another team privately by using a code too. Just need to coordinate everyone (separate team parties or message groups).

NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • Socair wrote: »
    Skuhn718 wrote: »

Does NHL 18 at least have some kind of option to invite your friends to OTP games, or queue up for OTP games together?? As opposed to the **** way of doing it of "let's try to join at the same time and see if we end up in the same room, and then keep on trying till we can play together."
    Yeah it's called group matchmaking, but same as 17...can only form one team. But you can match up with another team privately by using a code too. Just need to coordinate everyone (separate team parties or message groups).

By group match making are you referring to being able to go in a private room together and then make it public? If so, that's annoying in that one person always has to do all the work of individually inviting people to the room, and then making it public, for every...single... game. I guess I miss the lobbies because everyone just knew to go to the OTP1 room (for example), and then follow their friends into the same game... a lot less hassle and stress.
  • Skuhn718 wrote: »

private group matchmaking is not a lobby. its a dropin dressing room