EA Forums - Banner

NHL 18 lobbies?

Replies

• Skuhn718 wrote: »
    Socair wrote: »
    Skuhn718 wrote: »
    OTP lobbies + being able to invite friends directly to the game, was *integral* to the fun I had with the NHL series. It was how I met new people to play with, and how we continued to play 'for fun'. EASHL just gets too serious... and we just loved joining up as a group in OTP and havin a good ol time. It was also great because people from different clubs could easily play together... cuz you know, sometimes you want to play with someone not in your club.

Does NHL 18 at least have some kind of option to invite your friends to OTP games, or queue up for OTP games together?? As opposed to the **** way of doing it of "let's try to join at the same time and see if we end up in the same room, and then keep on trying till we can play together."
    Yeah it's called group matchmaking, but same as 17...can only form one team. But you can match up with another team privately by using a code too. Just need to coordinate everyone (separate team parties or message groups).

By group match making are you referring to being able to go in a private room together and then make it public? If so, that's annoying in that one person always has to do all the work of individually inviting people to the room, and then making it public, for every...single... game. I guess I miss the lobbies because everyone just knew to go to the OTP1 room (for example), and then follow their friends into the same game... a lot less hassle and stress.

You can join on your friends when they are in the group match making, takes no longer then 10-15 seconds.
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • Skuhn718
    5 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    OTP lobbies + being able to invite friends directly to the game, was *integral* to the fun I had with the NHL series. It was how I met new people to play with, and how we continued to play 'for fun'. EASHL just gets too serious... and we just loved joining up as a group in OTP and havin a good ol time. It was also great because people from different clubs could easily play together... cuz you know, sometimes you want to play with someone not in your club.

Does NHL 18 at least have some kind of option to invite your friends to OTP games, or queue up for OTP games together?? As opposed to the **** way of doing it of "let's try to join at the same time and see if we end up in the same room, and then keep on trying till we can play together."
    Yeah it's called group matchmaking, but same as 17...can only form one team. But you can match up with another team privately by using a code too. Just need to coordinate everyone (separate team parties or message groups).

By group match making are you referring to being able to go in a private room together and then make it public? If so, that's annoying in that one person always has to do all the work of individually inviting people to the room, and then making it public, for every...single... game. I guess I miss the lobbies because everyone just knew to go to the OTP1 room (for example), and then follow their friends into the same game... a lot less hassle and stress.

You can join on your friends when they are in the group match making, takes no longer then 10-15 seconds.

I'm truly not just trying to split hairs, but what about the time it takes to decide who is going to be the one to join first, and therefore who should be followed by everyone.. what about the time it takes to communicate that amongst 2, 3, 4 people?

Sure, it works if you have a group that has discussed this strategy and planned ahead, but more often than not the group playing together will change from night to night depending on who is online, and I am usually the one to do the obnoxious shuffle of trying to get everyone into a group chat to talk our strategy for playing together, or sending people individual PSN messages and waiting for them to respond / hoping they seen... *you should not have to have a strategy session each night on how to play together*. The lobby system mostly eliminated all that bull crap so long as people knew to go to a certain room (which never changed) e.g. OTP1.

As a good example of how it could work, when I had an xbox one I could invite a bunch of people into an xbox partychart, and then join us all up to a game lobby FROM THE CHAT... now THAT is doing it right. Much easier and mush less hassle.
  • COGSx86 wrote: »

more "less is more" solutions.

neat-o.
  • COGSx86
    781 posts Member
    edited August 2017

neat-o.

What's different from getting into a lobby that already has 50 people in it, Then decided which game to join or who creates the game?

Haha split hairs I think?

neat-o.

What's different from getting into a lobby that already has 50 people in it, Then decided which game to join or who creates the game?

The difference is there used to be regional lobbies with a set amount of players and you could go in there late at night when all the kids were asleep and have amazing pick up games. Everyone knew at least 1 other player and if you were a punk you didnt play again. You would pick 2 team captains and they would pick teams. It was great for meeting cool people and building a COMMUNITY

neat-o.

The difference is there used to be regional lobbies with a set amount of players and you could go in there late at night when all the kids were asleep and have amazing pick up games. Everyone knew at least 1 other player and if you were a punk you didnt play again. You would pick 2 team captains and they would pick teams. It was great for meeting cool people and building a COMMUNITY

And whats different then now? Friends joining your "Group matchmaking", you get matched up with players having a similar CR rating. Which then creates a better game experience, less drop outs and a game finishing with more people. Then if you had chemistry, you can play together, again!

neat-o.

And whats different then now? Friends joining your "Group matchmaking", you get matched up with players having a similar CR rating. Which then creates a better game experience, less drop outs and a game finishing with more people. Then if you had chemistry, you can play together, again!

neat-o.

Less is more.

"We fixed it."
  • seriously this isn't even a discussion, there's no argument to be had. cogs is obviously a troll. There are no lobbies anymore, there should be but there isn't. There is nothing even close to it.
  • Lobbies would be a welcome (re)addition, but the group matchmaking is decent.
    Though it was much easier to create 12 man lobbies with captains like someone said.
  • Lobbies would be a welcome (re)addition, but the group matchmaking is decent.
    Though it was much easier to create 12 man lobbies with captains like someone said.

Fun things get removed. We can't have nice things!

neat-o.

COGS I defended you in the other thread but now I see you obviously blinding yourself to the differences in the two scenarios you are arguing. There is no doubt to be had that lobbies allowed for a more streamlined and DIRECT WAY to get 12 person pick up games going in which you could pick your team as well as your opponent... As opposed to relying on the game to match you up with a decent opponent depending on your "CR" rating. Surely you see the difference?

And furthermore, just because you or anyone else doesn't feel like they have a need for a certain feature doesn't mean that the feature is useless.
  • Santini3 wrote: »

neat-o.

COGS I defended you in the other thread but now I see you obviously blinding yourself to the differences in the two scenarios you are arguing. There is no doubt to be had that lobbies allowed for a more streamlined and DIRECT WAY to get 12 person pick up games going in which you could pick your team as well as your opponent... As opposed to relying on the game to match you up with a decent opponent depending on your "CR" rating. Surely you see the difference?

And furthermore, just because you or anyone else doesn't feel like they have a need for a certain feature doesn't mean that the feature is useless.

I guess I didnt play enough drop in games to see the big difference, but apparently Im a drop in hero. Hahahaha.

I'm just trying to show their really isnt much of a difference between lobbies and no lobbies other then having stacked teams, which results in less games finishing with everyone started. I would assume EA had the statistics on this.
    Santini3 wrote: »

neat-o.

I guess I didnt play enough drop in games to see the big difference, but apparently Im a drop in hero. Hahahaha.

I'm just trying to show their really isnt much of a difference between lobbies and no lobbies other then having stacked teams, which results in less games finishing with everyone started. I would assume EA had the statistics on this.

But the people who want lobbies want them to organize 6v6 games where all 12 people are predetermined... therefore, no more stacked teams. It's like playing pick up with your friends at the rink. Sticks in the middle, boys.
  • Socair
    2441 posts Game Changer

neat-o.

But the people who want lobbies want them to organize 6v6 games where all 12 people are predetermined... therefore, no more stacked teams. It's like playing pick up with your friends at the rink. Sticks in the middle, boys.
    That is possible with the group matchmaking; two teams are picked, join your respective team and use a code to match up exclusively. It just needs everyone to be in a group message (not a party) so caps can pick. Not as fluid as lobbies, no, but there is a work around so long as you have the people.
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • Santini3 wrote: »

neat-o.

There is a way to do this, albeit a bit cumbersome. I belong to a private group of players (I think there are 35 of us) who have been getting together on Friday nights for the past seven years to play otp. Since EA has done away with the private rooms we've had to figure out a way to conduct a draft prior to each game and then play against each other. Here is what we do:

1. One player opens a room in the NHL otp lobby, which can allow 12 people to join and hear each other , and sends an invite to all of the other players.
    2. Two captains step up and begin draft.
    3. Once teams are picked, one player from each side goes to EASHL dressing room (group matchmaking) and sends invites to the players on his/her team.
    4. Both teams enter a predetermined matchmaking code and voila, we are able to play against each other.
    5. After game is completed, go back to step one.

Yeah, it was much easier for a group of friends who just want to play together for fun to gather in a private room, but at least this is somewhat of solution.
  • B-Bunny wrote: »
    I pitched a more intuitive system that would lead you into a menu, basically a recruitment tab. Players looking for one would have their stats listed, what their time of playing is, what 🎃🎃🎃🎃 they can play, what kind of club theyre looking for (6s, 3s' 5s), and perhaps a small blurb they could type with x character limit. Like a big F/A list. Then you could click their gamertag and send them a message. Stuff like that would help clubs looking to add more bodies find people.

But priorities trump that stuff i suppose.

This actually 🎃🎃🎃🎃 me off that such a good idea wasn't taken into consideration. Jesus christ, you put that pitch up on a tee to be knocked out of the park and the batter was looking at his damn shoes!
  • B-Bunny wrote: »
    I pitched a more intuitive system that would lead you into a menu, basically a recruitment tab. Players looking for one would have their stats listed, what their time of playing is, what 🎃🎃🎃🎃 they can play, what kind of club theyre looking for (6s, 3s' 5s), and perhaps a small blurb they could type with x character limit. Like a big F/A list. Then you could click their gamertag and send them a message. Stuff like that would help clubs looking to add more bodies find people.

But priorities trump that stuff i suppose.

This actually **** me off that such a good idea wasn't taken into consideration. Jesus christ, you put that pitch up on a tee to be knocked out of the park and the batter was looking at his **** shoes!

For real... That's kinda sad.