EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 1st

Check out our latest content update, bug fixes & key areas on which we need your feedback here.

Rearranging the attributes of the classes?

I'm hoping a Dev can chime in on this.

One of the issues a lot of longtime players have is the class based system of EASHL. We really miss being able to create our own forwards and defenseman. This allowed us to put our own UNIQUE twist on our character. For example myself I was a power forward because I enjoyed being able to make a big hit. Here's the thing though I didn't build my guy as a power forward, I built him as a playmaker. I put the max allowed attributes into passing and puck control. I also stacked his defensive awareness: This allowed me to build MY personal skill set into my character. The problem with the set classes is it removes our ability to cater to our skills.

By no means am I asking for legend 3 back. I will agree that it was a PITA having to attain the card every year before you could play to your capabilities. What I am suggesting is allowing us to lower and raise the attributes within a class. So for instance being able to lower my shot or hits and raise say my passing or skating. Would this be something that EA would consider as a compromise of sorts to its long time players and fans? I'm sure most here would agree that this could be a good middle ground. And maybe it would entice so long time players who left to comeback. I used to work night shift back between 9-12 and it didn't matter what time I could find a game with at least 5v5. Now I sit for sometimes 30-45 minutes before I can actually play if my club isn't around.

Replies

• No.

The only thing they would consider doing is giving everyone the same amount of points to allocate, and no way to boost the available points. Won't happen this year, and frankly I like the pre-set classes better anyways.
  • No.

The only thing they would consider doing is giving everyone the same amount of points to allocate, and no way to boost the available points. Won't happen this year, and frankly I like the pre-set classes better anyways.

No.

I agree with the OP, I liked being able to customize attributes. It was fun having classes that I could tweak to my particular tastes. It was also fun making changes, playing some games to see if it worked, then going back to the drawing board.
  • SaveUs2K wrote: »

One of the issues a lot of longtime players have is the class based system of EASHL. We really miss being able to create our own forwards and defenseman. This allowed us to put our own UNIQUE twist on our character. For example myself I was a power forward because I enjoyed being able to make a big hit. Here's the thing though I didn't build my guy as a power forward, I built him as a playmaker. I put the max allowed attributes into passing and puck control. I also stacked his defensive awareness: This allowed me to build MY personal skill set into my character. The problem with the set classes is it removes our ability to cater to our skills.

By no means am I asking for legend 3 back. I will agree that it was a PITA having to attain the card every year before you could play to your capabilities. What I am suggesting is allowing us to lower and raise the attributes within a class. So for instance being able to lower my shot or hits and raise say my passing or skating. Would this be something that EA would consider as a compromise of sorts to its long time players and fans? I'm sure most here would agree that this could be a good middle ground. And maybe it would entice so long time players who left to comeback. I used to work night shift back between 9-12 and it didn't matter what time I could find a game with at least 5v5. Now I sit for sometimes 30-45 minutes before I can actually play if my club isn't around.

Please do not speak for me when I don't want to be spoken for. Longtime player here, I think the class-based system would produce a better experience if the skating, hitting, and goalies weren't broken...but we know those are lost causes lol.

I wasn't speaking for you my words were a lot of longtime players not all longtime players. FYI I have been there since the beginning NHL hockey on Sega.

Please do not speak for me when I don't want to be spoken for. Longtime player here, I think the class-based system would produce a better experience if the skating, hitting, and goalies weren't broken...but we know those are lost causes lol.

I wasn't speaking for you my words were a lot of longtime players not all longtime players. FYI I have been there since the beginning NHL hockey on Sega.

it's the same small group of players that are against being able to customize their players...

it seems fairly clear that more people liked it the way it USED to be... for this and other features and gameplay.
    Tastes Good With The Money https://youtube.com/watch?v=GS4dO-0YI2E

it's the same small group of players that are against being able to customize their players...

it seems fairly clear that more people liked it the way it USED to be... for this and other features and gameplay

bingo. Why the Dev team is ignoring the majority is beyond me. I would be happy with the ability to customize within classes, to reallocate the already existing points...along with height and weight. That to me is an almost perfect hybrid

"Tell me all about it Ted, every detail, dot every comma"- Tug Benson
  • trw1987 wrote: »
    SaveUs2K wrote: »

it seems fairly clear that more people liked it the way it USED to be... for this and other features and gameplay

bingo. Why the Dev team is ignoring the majority is beyond me. I would be happy with the ability to customize within classes, to reallocate the already existing points...along with height and weight. That to me is an almost perfect hybrid

because.... the "FIX" to making every attribute have impact and to have real physics impact with height / weight would take development cycles / $ and the "FIX" was to. oh... i dunno... just SCRAP THE ENTIRE THING.

"Look. We fixed the problem."

same deal they did with goalie interference. couldn't fix an issue w/ trolls skating all over the place collecting goalie interference penalties so... what's the fix? just get rid of goalie interference.

less is more.

nope... sorry. not good enough.
    Tastes Good With The Money https://youtube.com/watch?v=GS4dO-0YI2E

Customizing attributes within a class would make it a "class" no more. Which is fine. But the way you're wording it is contradictory. You either have classes or you don't. Customization = no classes. At this point, I'm cool with either route.
  • Santini3 wrote: »
    trw1987 wrote: »

Customizing attributes within a class would make it a "class" no more. Which is fine. But the way you're wording it is contradictory. You either have classes or you don't. Customization = no classes. At this point, I'm cool with either route.

But the old system still had classes + customization. They don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Either way it is very apparent that more people want customization back than want to stick with cookie cutter builds. Get on it EA.
  • The problem started with people understanding how to abuse height/weight and the speed attributes before EA had the skating engine focus more on the size of the player.

With the new deking system and defensive stick, I think it's something they could/should reconsider.
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • Santini3 wrote: »

How is it contradictory? There would obviously be caps on them depending on what class you chose.
    "Tell me all about it Ted, every detail, dot every comma"- Tug Benson
    Santini3 wrote: »

How is it contradictory? There would obviously be caps on them depending on what class you chose.

I kind of figured that's what he meant but two things came to mind:

1. He never actually said that..

2. That's like... barely even customization at that point. You might as well just let us customize everything. From height to weight to every single attribute. Key is.. make every increment of every attribute have a (at least barely) noticeable effect. Back when we had customization,
    3 there were certain attributes that were broken... meaning you could skip over them and dump your points elsewhere. Keep in mind, these were attributes that EA allowed people to spend their hard-earned money on to boost.

After saying that... it's really not hard to figure out why EA abandoned customization. A level playing field was a **** excuse. A true level playing field didn't require getting rid of customization... all they had to do was give everyone the same amount of points from the beginning and say, "Go crazy!"