EA Forums - Banner

Madden 18 got major changes. Is NHL next?

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/madden-nfl-18-review/1900-6416737/

So as most of us know, the EA NHL franchise is always about a year behind FIFA and Madden. Do we think we'll get this sort of thing next year? An actual story mode about a kid joining a major junior team, bunking with a family, going to the draft, grinding in the AHL then making the jump?

Or maybe we'll finally get Frostbite? Maybe the reason there's so little in NHL 18 is because the team is working on major projects that will take 2 years, and only a couple things are ready to hit the yearly release cycle?

What do ya'll think? Looks like the EA Madden team really stepped up this year. Will next year be NHL's year, or will we all still be mired in rehashed features with no major changes for NHL 19?

Replies

• I think at this point a large portion of the community would be pretty happy if all that was added to 19 is the necessary improvements to TPS, removing/improving seamless puck pickups, and maybe the addition of a central server. A story mode is cool if that's what you're in to, just not really my personal cup of tea, and i personally think the main focus for NHL right now should be improvements to gameplay.
  • I think at this point a large portion of the community would be pretty happy if all that was added to 19 is the necessary improvements to TPS, removing/improving seamless puck pickups, and maybe the addition of a central server. A story mode is cool if that's what you're in to, just not really my personal cup of tea, and i personally think the main focus for NHL right now should be improvements to gameplay.
    I agree. The game just needs a tune up. It's close...do away with any and all auto movements...my player should never move on his own. Expand and improve servers...smooth out TPS and we're good
  • https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/madden-nfl-18-review/1900-6416737/

So as most of us know, the EA NHL franchise is always about a year behind FIFA and Madden. Do we think we'll get this sort of thing next year? An actual story mode about a kid joining a major junior team, bunking with a family, going to the draft, grinding in the AHL then making the jump?

Or maybe we'll finally get Frostbite? Maybe the reason there's so little in NHL 18 is because the team is working on major projects that will take 2 years, and only a couple things are ready to hit the yearly release cycle?

What do ya'll think? Looks like the EA Madden team really stepped up this year. Will next year be NHL's year, or will we all still be mired in rehashed features with no major changes for NHL 19?

Frostbite and Storymode will go hand in hand. I still feel we won't see this til NHL 20.

• I agree with @Follisimo ,

In all honesty, it probably makes more sense for them to also release the frostbite and story for NHL 20, so that we can avoid another NHL 15 situation. In other words, get all the game modes with all functionality into NHL 20 instead of rushing to get NHL 19 with Frostbite just to sell story mode.

I wonder if sales would take another hit if NHL 19 only includes minimal updates though. Even so, i can see it being viewed in the same light as NHL Legacy was when compared to NHL 14. So that might even turn out to be a good thing.
  • Focus really, really hard in 19 on AI positional awareness, making hitting less arcade, and server connectivity. In 20, whole new skating engine and player likeness to rival NBA 2K with frostbite engine.

The story mode in FIFA, Madden, and 2K really only work if gameplay is good. Skating is #1 problem but doesn't fix the series
  • Follisimo
    1048 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    I agree with @Follisimo ,

In all honesty, it probably makes more sense for them to also release the frostbite and story for NHL 20, so that we can avoid another NHL 15 situation. In other words, get all the game modes with all functionality into NHL 20 instead of rushing to get NHL 19 with Frostbite just to sell story mode.

I wonder if sales would take another hit if NHL 19 only includes minimal updates though. Even so, i can see it being viewed in the same light as NHL Legacy was when compared to NHL 14. So that might even turn out to be a good thing.

If they are smart they don't add any gimmicks and simply work on gameplay 90% of the time while adding in some BAP stuff.

So we got Skating, goalies, and I believe they should add traits to EASHL like they have for FIFA where we get the option of like 3 choices out of 15ish and it helps us create a character more to our liking.

• you said madden is ahead of nhl......BUT madden just introduced(brought back) 3 vs 3...online

offline its way ahead of nhl.

online nhl is 6 vs 6 for awhile now.

fifa is the mercedes...
    THE...Detriot Frenzy Alumni
  • Madden, major changes? Thanks for the laugh.
  • you said madden is ahead of nhl......BUT madden just introduced(brought back) 3 vs 3...online

offline its way ahead of nhl.

online nhl is 6 vs 6 for awhile now.

fifa is the mercedes...

Online team play just isn't something that translates nearly as well into Madden as it does to nhl which is why it wasn't a huge deal when they removed the feature...leaving EASHL out of Nhl on the other hand
  • Axel_Owretchsin
    296 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    You know what Madden also did, though? Removed create-a-player, one of the biggest staples in sports games. They're truly, truly an unbelievable company. They better not ever pull that crap in NHL and remove create-a-team and create-a-player.

A story mode really scares me, because I think they'd completely remove BAP (with the ability to fully create your player) and just convert it/replace it with the new story mode, complete with a set protagonist (like FIFA with Alex Hunter, and whatever the hell Madden named their guy).

P.S. Yes, I know you create a guy in Madden's Career Mode; that doesn't count. They removed Create-a-player in Rosters, which is, quite frankly a complete and utter crock on their part. It's 2017. Games should grow, not take steps backward after already having a feature in for decades.
  • Follisimo
    1048 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    You know what Madden also did, though? Removed create-a-player, one of the biggest staples in sports games. They're truly, truly an unbelievable company. They better not ever pull that crap in NHL and remove create-a-team and create-a-player.

A story mode really scares me, because I think they'd completely remove BAP (with the ability to fully create your player) and just convert it/replace it with the new story mode, complete with a set protagonist (like FIFA with Alex Hunter, and whatever the **** Madden named their guy).

P.S. Yes, I know you create a guy in Madden's Career Mode; that doesn't count. They removed Create-a-player in Rosters, which is, quite frankly a complete and utter crock on their part. It's 2017. Games should grow, not take steps backward after already having a feature in for decades.

To be fair in NBA Live you can use Gameface, and customize your player completely for the story mode. All the sports titles are missing things. If they all borrowed stuff we could have a plenty of game worth.

• You know what Madden also did, though? Removed create-a-player, one of the biggest staples in sports games. They're truly, truly an unbelievable company. They better not ever pull that crap in NHL and remove create-a-team and create-a-player.

A story mode really scares me, because I think they'd completely remove BAP (with the ability to fully create your player) and just convert it/replace it with the new story mode, complete with a set protagonist (like FIFA with Alex Hunter, and whatever the **** Madden named their guy).

How many people actually used the Create a Player feature though? Its not like in hockey where there are leagues not featured and those players somehow make their way on NHL/AHL rosters (ex: Kuznetsov coming to NHL years back)

I hate football and Madden has had the reputation of being the same crap every year but apparently that has changed.
  • Frostbite engine for NHL 19 I am sure is in the works along with bug fixes. We also will probably get story mode too. This seems to be the trend with all EA sports games.