EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 1st

Check out our latest content update, bug fixes & key areas on which we need your feedback here.

Ideas for Matchmaking in drop-in

How many of recognize saying this at some point.

"Hmm sweet I have a couple of hours to spare, just enough time to get into a quick drop-in" (Queue the endless matchmaking into lobbies that fall apart because <fill in the position usually goalie> is not filled).

I swear sometimes it takes more time to get into a mostly filled game than it does for the other team to rage quit.

I don't have answers but things I think we need to improve

1- east/west coast match making.
2- Allow some players to change their position after X minutes in the lobby. This might help if there is only 1 human goalie
3- Maybe allow a position preference option. Like I would prefer forward but would play D as well. Far too few D and goalies.

And before I get the usual play club; drop-in is for scrubs replies. We all can't always play club and club has its own issues. League is the best experience I have had in EASHL but 'Fat man lag' and east coast servers has deterred my from playing LG again. Even then, I still played drop-in.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• Idk how to solve this problem but it's really bad. I started playing drop ins again recently and the amount of butt heads that leave at the last second is so **** frustrating.
  • BassMan_PC
    324 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    - Fix the matchmaking so you are not matching up in the wrong region. Let us select the server. The lag ruins this game.

- Display the ping in the matchmaking lobby so you have an indication of what the connection is like.

- Have a timeout for people waiting in the middle without selecting a position. They should get booted after 20 seconds or so. This will still allow time to request a position from another player.

- Take away the Captain's ability to start the game prematurely and only start the game when everybody has readied up or the timer has expired. This would mean a two step process for everybody:
    1) Lock in your position.
    2) Ready Up.

- Have a vote to extend the timer when it is close to expiring so we can have more time to fill up the room.

- Allow players to switch positions to better accommodate the needs of the room. This could be implemented when the timer is extended and the session could relay the new positions available to the matchmaking service.
  • 1) Best way would be to allow Clubs to get drop-in players into their game.

This would allow for fuller Club games, scouting and try outs (without adding the player on the roster) and allow Drop-In players to have more competitive/team-play oriented games.

Club could kick out players while in the game if they are disturbing the play (going offside, i.e.), and getting kicked too many times could prevent said player from getting into club games.

2) In lobbies, remove the limitation of side on the position selection, so you can swap from home to away.

3) Allow up to 15 players in one lobby, if not more, as to not have 1-2 players block the game from lunching by staying in the middle

4) Have a timer of say 20s to select a side/position, or get booted.

5) Set jersey codes so that Away is always white and Home cannot be white, to avoid the similar jersey bug/trolling.
  • I like the idea of allowing drop in players to join a club for a game. Interesting.

I think stopping lobby trolls is huge.

Having a mechanism to keep the lobby open seems nice as well. A voting system seems alright but you will always get a few leave the lobby if their vote did not win. Not sure how much of an issue that would be.

Changing positions and/or sides seems an easy thing to help fill out positions. I prefer wing but would rather play any position over searching for another game.
  • SahioX wrote: »
    2) In lobbies, remove the limitation of side on the position selection, so you can swap from home to away.

4) Have a timer of say 20s to select a side/position, or get booted.

5) Set jersey codes so that Away is always white and Home cannot be white, to avoid the similar jersey bug/trolling.

This man is a genius. The game needs these three things.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.