EA Forums - Banner

Should NHL take a year off?

I'm not crazy, I swear. But I see tons and tons of people complaining about Frostbite this and pokechecks that, when I feel the NHL team really just doesn't have the time. Some reasons as to why FIFA and Madden don't have the same annoying glitches year in and year out (not only because they have bigger staffs and budget) but because they took a year off (supposedly) It was hard to find evidence, but there were rumors that it happened. Even if they didn't it still brings up an interesting point about NHL.

I don't know about you guys, but I would 110% support the EANHL team if they decided to take a year off so long as they update the rosters and still release semi-regular tuners. I assume NHL19 planning has already begun, but what if they take NHL19 or NHL20 off and then come out with a really good freakin game the next year? Lemme know what you think

Replies

• if they take a year off PS5 will be here than EA will be even more behind of their bugs and glitches lol
  • Yup, EA and the NHL dev team need to take a step back and really invest some quality time into this series. Nine months just isn't enough time between releases, especially considering the mess the game is currently. Ubisoft did it with the AC series and it seems like it might pay off.
  • It's never going to happen. New year new HUT to make money off of. They also aren't gonna waste their NHL license they have by not putting out a game. We don't even have Frostbite engine and people who don't understand it's mostly about delivering better graphics with the chance of improved gameplay in the way of a smoother experience. It won't magically fix lots of the issues people have with the game.

When FIFA made the jump to Frostbite it got prettier but still the same gameplay existed with the usual slight change here or there but alas the serious issues of poor team runs and exploitable defense still existed. They claim in the new FIFA coming out players will be better at creating offense and the defense looks like it will be exploited with more ease.

• Yup, EA and the NHL dev team need to take a step back and really invest some quality time into this series. Nine months just isn't enough time between releases, especially considering the mess the game is currently. Ubisoft did it with the AC series and it seems like it might pay off.

Ugh, I don't even imagine what the first game on next-gen will be like after the NHL 15 (let's get rid of all our modes!) greeted us to the current-gen.

Ugh, I don't even imagine what the first game on next-gen will be like after the NHL 15 (let's get rid of all our modes!) greeted us to the current-gen.

I wouldn't worry about that too much anymore as the architecture won't really change. Consoles are essentially just PCs now so they are simply adding better graphic cards and gpus that are static.

• It's never going to happen but I wouldn't mind seeing them skip to 20 if 18 is a disaster and just release a $20 update for rosters.

It seems every year they fix something and then ruin something else. The idea of the rosters getting revamped looks like a bad, bad idea.
  • COGSx86
    785 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Whats the difference between developing the game every year and taking a year off? THey will still make the same progress.

Its not like guys who work on skating animations, stop working on skating animations every year.

Example, Lets say this year, the skating guy was working on pivots. Ok cool. 3 months before release he's done working on the pivots, its tested and ready to be added to the game. Now apparently he can take the rest of the year off, cuz he has 3 months to spare.

But in reality how it works, the skating moves to the next project. The next part of the project is changing rub outs, so he has 3 months if he gets it done it gets put in the game. If not it goes into the next years game.

Im not really sure how taking a year off would change anything other then removing the main stream of revenue for the team.
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Why is it that EA should take a year off?

If the consumer doesn't think the product has improved enough, they have every right to take the year off.

Unless you mean take a year off creating new features and work solely on gameplay then I can somewhat agree with that.

Personally I dunno if I would buy it if the new iteration didn't contain new features but my beef has never been with gameplay.
    Post edited by Taste-D-Rainbow on
  • How about instead of taking time off they actually invest some of their many, many resources into the game and make it better? A small dev team with no time or money, I wonder why the game hasn't improved in forever.
  • sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    They already took a year off, remember when EASHL didn't make it into the game?
  • Why is it that EA should take a year off?

If the consumer doesn't think the product has improved enough, they have every right to take the year off.

Unless you mean take a year off creating new features and work solely on gameplay then I can somewhat agree with that.

Personally I dunno if I would buy it if the new iteration didn't contain new features but my beef has never been with gameplay.

I mean something like dont even make an NHL 19, just release updates and roster stuff for NHL 18, then come out with a bangin NHL 20
  • gundamfreedomx
    88 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    I personally believe EA sports needs to bring in a new producer for the NHL series. It is time for the company to look at, what made the previous games successful and replicate the factors. Raw love of hockey isn't enough to warrant a purchase of NHL 18 for myself and a few others I have spoken with, but hope, and 3s is a strong motivator for those who plan to purchase a copy this year. @EADEV watch this video

Yes, the game might be different, but it brings up two important points. How much realism will destroy a game? Is more animations the solution to making the game competitive? Previous hockey games forced players to adapt to hockey plays, while minimizing errors in their play style.
    Post edited by gundamfreedomx on